Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World vs. World PvP article posted on Arena.net 16 FEB.

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

This is really good news... if they deliver on even a quarter of what they said, it's still better than almost anything out there for massive PvP right now...

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

TWO WORDS!!! (from the wise ooold man...up in the skies)

LOVE IT

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Just peed my pants..

So It's 4 maps all the time availble? But it kinda has to dont it?  With 4 maps 2k people can play WvW at the same time, having just 1 would be stupid and hour long queues.

But it sucks a bit as well, if you and you'r Guild are doing really well on one map and the 3 others totally fail and make your server loose. But amyway this sounds awefully fun. Can't wait... Realease allready omgz:P 

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I ve played DAOC from release till a couple of years ago, and off and on since then. This sounds amazing, even better then DAOC as a whole, I can t wait. Now lets hope they pull it off, if so , I ll see no reason to pvp in any game but GW2.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

As a former DAoC player, and someone who hasn't really been following Guild wars 2, I am suddenly quite excited by this article.

I in fact am at a lack of words for exactly how excited.

I can't wait for this game now.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Every Guild Wars 2 server competes in battles in the Mists.

At the end of each battle, every team is given a new ranking. Once a battle ends and team rankings are updated, servers are matched up based on their new ranking and a new battle commences. Downtime between these epic battles lasts only a few minutes—just long enough for us to tally the final scores, update the server rankings, and create new matches—so there’s almost always a battle for the Mists going on.

Bolded and Italicized for the NAYSAYING idiots who still dont get that WvWvW is open world PVP at its finest.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Yeah, good point. I'd also draw attention to the same highlighted text for a different reason: Based on that comment, it's pretty clear that the tally process doesn't occur during server downtime. Server downtime would seem like the logical place to have the transition occur between each two week war. I'm taking this as a pretty big hint that GW2 will manage the same update system as GW1, i.e. no server downtime and a real possibility of hot patching.

Anyway, the entire blog post just gives us the barest sketch of what World vs World will be like and it's already pretty amazing. I have a feeling that most people who have even the slightest interest in World vs. World will find that it becomes a major portion of their long term game play. No danger of running out of things to do once you reach the cap; not only is the entire game "end game", but if you want a break from Dynamic Events playing out in the world, World vs. World or Competitive PVP almost offer their own complete "games with in a game".

For me, the problem is going to be sticking to my plan to play at least one character through the PVE world before playing CPVP and W vs W. There is almost too much to do! :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Let me resay what I did earlier.

SWEET BABY JESUS!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Man I'm dying of excitement here.

Give me a release date! Give me the game! I'll pay quadruple the price to get it in my hands right now!

Just....give!!!!

Honestly this is a dream come true from me. Someone finally paid attention and took all the good ideas that have been/could have been implemented in MMOs past but were never truly right. 

I really think GW2 has a chance of making the biggest impact to the MMO industry since WoW. 

Shame really, poor Tera still need to develop their SvS. I kinda wanna play that....so really wanna know when Arenanet are planning on dropping GW2.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

After the info on the console crap I needed to read something good.

WvW sounds good, really good.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

i want to lvl up in dynamic events because for once it sounds like fun......................but then there is WvW lvling..

WHAT TO DO?!?!?!?!?!?

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Fir3line

i want to lvl up in dynamic events because for once it sounds like fun......................but then there is WvW lvling..

WHAT TO DO?!?!?!?!?!?

That's the good thing about the auto level down for Dynamic Events, if you "outlevel" some DE content doing WvW, you can still go back later and enjoy those areas when you wish.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by star

It'a funny (and this isn't meant to bash SWTOR at all), but Bioware loves to tout they have the Mythic PvP team working on the game. However, they fail to mention that some of the best designers left Mythic for ANet in like, 2004.

There's a reason the WvW looks like DAoC (I got to have a fairly lengthy chat with Colin about it) and it's because they felt it was the best implementation of large scale PvP in the genre, and their PvP team has the cred/experience to design and properly deploy it.

Incredibly excited, as DAoC was my first MMO and I still crave something similar to the RvR.

The only reason why it looks like DAoC is cus it work and its fun.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Fir3line

WHAT TO DO?!?!?!?!?!?

I plan to do both with different chars, since the war reset every two weeks you ca jump in and out at any time. But wont dedicate pvp only chars, which make it even more fun then GW right now.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by crewthief

Posted on Guru earlier today. WvW information:

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-on-guild-wars-2-world-vs-world

Sounds pretty epic in my opinion. Tons of stuff to do and keep you occupied. Also seems quite viable to run around in 5 man groups and still get things done...which helps a ton for those of us that don't want to have to ride the zerg in order to accomplish something meaningful (those supply routes seem like they'll be crucial). I'm also curious what size force it'll take to steal another servers' Orb of Power...guess we'll find out when the time comes. At any rate, this sounds like a hell of alot of fun to me!  image

Man just when I thought I finally completely un-hyped myself for this game (two or three times already now) here comes another article that has me fired up again.

This looks really epic.  I just hope that they also include some achievable minor objectives for even a lone invader raider of some sort.  I play odd hours and sometimes might not have a group to join but still want to mix it up a bit.  I do say though this game is pushing all the right buttons regarding PVP.  I sure hope they pull this thing off.

Now, if only I could erase from my brain that travesty called GW1 which I found to be one of the worst MMOs I've ever played.  That is the main thing that keeps me from fully embracing the hype...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Benjola

After the info on the console crap I needed to read something good.

WvW sounds good, really good.

There is no info on "console crap", just bad journalism. There will never be a GW2 console in reality, it was just a bait to keep investors calm during NCSoft's conference call.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

So world vs world vs world pvp in GW is ... Instanced, cross server and capped.

The wording is everything these days.

Yes.... but whats wrong with that? those who were loooking for open world PVP already knew that GW2 isn't for them. Instanced PVP kicks ass if done right.

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by crewthief

Posted on Guru earlier today. WvW information:

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-on-guild-wars-2-world-vs-world

Sounds pretty epic in my opinion. Tons of stuff to do and keep you occupied. Also seems quite viable to run around in 5 man groups and still get things done...which helps a ton for those of us that don't want to have to ride the zerg in order to accomplish something meaningful (those supply routes seem like they'll be crucial). I'm also curious what size force it'll take to steal another servers' Orb of Power...guess we'll find out when the time comes. At any rate, this sounds like a hell of alot of fun to me!  image

Man just when I thought I finally completely un-hyped myself for this game (two or three times already now) here comes another article that has me fired up again.

This looks really epic.  I just hope that they also include some achievable minor objectives for even a lone invader raider of some sort.  I play odd hours and sometimes might not have a group to join but still want to mix it up a bit.  I do say though this game is pushing all the right buttons regarding PVP.  I sure hope they pull this thing off.

Now, if only I could erase from my brain that travesty called GW1 which I found to be one of the worst MMOs I've ever played.  That is the main thing that keeps me from fully embracing the hype...

GW1 wasn't a MMORPG, ArenaNet themselves acknowledge that. This, however, is a totally different story.

ROFLMAO.

It's not instanced. Instancing means creating different copies, which isn't the case; there is only going to be one copy of each WvWvW battle. It's zoned, meaning you have to go through a loading screen, and that's all. 

Plus, every game has a cap. Every game simply has to, otherwise servers will crash. GW2 cap will be higher than 99.9% of MMORPGs, leading to the most epic PvP fights ever seen (provided they deliver on their promise, of course).

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by XAleX360

ROFLMAO.

It's not instanced. Instancing means creating different copies, which isn't the case; there is only going to be one copy of each WvWvW battle. It's zoned, meaning you have to go through a loading screen, and that's all. 

Plus, every game has a cap. Every game simply has to, otherwise servers will crash. GW2 cap will be higher than 99.9% of MMORPGs, leading to the most epic PvP fights ever seen (provided they deliver on their promise, of course).

Actually what you are describing is sharding where you make one or more copy of one world. Instance is what WOW offers with its battlegrounds.

But like i said nothing wrong with instanced PVP as long as it is done right.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I sure hope there is a cap, and a wait que to WvWvW, otherswise I may never get any time to see the PvE world.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

ROFLMAO.

So much conjecture. So little fact.

Originally posted by toodlepip123

ROFLMAO.

So much conjecture. So little fact.

Instance

Definition: A segment of gameplay in MMORPGs in which players form a group together and enter a special area in the game world, usually through some type of portal. They are then essentially cut off from the rest of the gamers in that only people who are in the group when the group passes through the portal will be able to enter the dungeon with them. Other groups may enter the dungeon, but will not encounter the first group, hence they are in a different INSTANCE of the same dungeon.