Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Pokket's TERA Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This Game Face covers Pokket's first impressions of the Tera Beta. The beta covered levels 1-22. In this latest Game Face video, Pokket plays an Elin Warrior and shares her initial thoughts on the environment, combat, questions, and more! Check out Game Face: Pokket's TERA Beta Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

"You can't turn your camera without turning your character."

You can, actually. While you are running, you need to hold down the left mouse button and turn it to face behind you while you switch from holding down the "W" key to the "S" key.

Other than that, I agree with everything she said about the beta. It's going to be a great game. Tera honestly caught me offguard.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Funny how so many people come into new MMORPGs and always expect Raid content at level cap. Games like TERA and Guild Wars 2 will have a hard time converting such people, to their own forms of Endgame.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Master10K

Funny how so many people come into new MMORPGs and always expect Raid content at level cap. Games like TERA and Guild Wars 2 will have a hard time converting such people, to their own forms of Endgame.

But wasn't there a discussion about a study that showed only a fraction(the number was below 12% I think) of people in MMO's who actually ever do raids?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Bunks

But wasn't there a discussion about a study that showed only a fraction(the number was below 12% I think) of people in MMO's who actually ever do raids?

Yet that small percentage is such a vocal minority, it will have an effect on the game's community, especially General chat...

"Been playing for 2 weeks and I've reached level cap. How do I gear up for Raids?"

"Didn't you get the memo? There aren't any Raids."

"NO RAIDS!? THIS GAME SUCKS!"

"You rushed to do some Raids, just to find out their aren't any... lol"

"lol. WoW nooblet"

"Go back to WoW."

My crystal ball is never wrong. image

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Terra looks pretty cool, but my main reason for posting this?

I'm in love with Pokket!  She's silly amounts of adorable, and plays MMO's too?

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

TERA looks like fun, but it's certainly not as deep as some folks would like it to be.  I'm not sure how deep its intended to be, to be honest.  Clearly from the art style it's 50% eye candy (which I don't mind at all).  

Anyhoo, I appreciate eveyrthing that Pokket posts and it's nice to see more and more 'fans' get their voice out into the public to help us learn about various games.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

I have decided to become a champion of one small aspect of the combat -

Being locked into a move of a certain length is part of the challenge. You must make sure to only use that kind of ability when you are safe to do so. Being able to cancel/autocast things is not necessary and removes a part of the tactics from the game.

This applies to "Master Strike" (SWTOR reference) type abilities but also to the momentum based "oh shit" of swinging the giant Berserker axe.

This is part of the energy that makes TERA so much better than other games when it comes to combat. You have to plan AND execute. That is great combat IMO.

Also - Pokket, that is a Warrior. You can't stand and get hit. That is precisely what makes that class hard to play. Lancers can stand and receive but only if they have the juice left to block and time it correctly. This is a more advanced level of tanking than has ever been seen in an MMO.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by Arawulf

TERA looks like fun, but it's certainly not as deep as some folks would like it to be.  I'm not sure how deep its intended to be, to be honest.  Clearly from the art style it's 50% eye candy (which I don't mind at all).  

Anyhoo, I appreciate eveyrthing that Pokket posts and it's nice to see more and more 'fans' get their voice out into the public to help us learn about various games.

What knowledge of depth do you have that we are missing?

Did you play the Korean version with knowledge of Korean or a translated client? Were you with a group of like-minded players who spoke a common language and were able to play the game to the highest degree?

If so, please let me know where the depth fell off for you.

Or are you referring to a small number of people who may want this to be a sandbox, replace your life, build a hut, sew your pants, run a commune digital world, which it will not be? That is more Archeage's boat.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• arm0sarm0s Member UncommonPosts: 12

Well yeah ... Here we go, Pokket on the review.

Let me tell you this ... i pumped alot of game time into K-Tera and i'm apsolutely in love with it so im not even going to mention EU Pre-Beta and upcoming CBT's where i will be playing again. i dont care what Wow carebares or even SWTOR fanboys or .. well girls say .. Tera just rocks .. even tho it has the usual guesting system and nothing really new about it, it still rocks all my socks. 

The combat system seems to an issue for alot of people ... mainly because we are all used to tab target people and it ttakes time to get used to just aiming at people .. well i'm very good at that .. spent 4 years with the biggest Call Of Duty Clans in the world so i can aim :D but its of course completle different, but anyways ... it takes ALOT longer than 22 levels to get used to the combat and aiming and moving while u fight or PVP in Tera  .. it actually requiers skill and not like some simple "tabtarget- spank-and-tank" game play where people seem to think that they are elite. 

now the second thing ... There are no delays between the skills .. well there might be a little tiny one when u trigger a new chain skill to start off your chain but if u noticed while using skills u get the "space bar" indicator on your screen if u use skills in a chain or well premade chainskills... theres no dayls plaus u can aim and move and do whatever you want when u know how to and if u know what you wanna do and which skills to execute :P 

little tip .. trigger your first skill in the chain and then keep using spacebar and u will notice the speed and a decent phace in your fights and PVP. plus u will be able to turn yourself which ever way u want.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I do not like the combat in TERA, the inability to cancel a move is ridiculous.  No strategy involved there, just lame combat mechanices.  The more I see of this game the less I like it.

As for Pokket, certainly would not enjoy grouping with her, she does not seem to be a very good player, although the game is new to her.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

I hope I get to try this game out next beta phase, missed the last one because I had to much school work. A game based off pvp skill will send a lot of people away from it just due to the learning curve. Most people think they are good at pvp, and then unfortunetly learn the hard way that they are not. Usually the take blaming the game as their avenue and complain that way, because obviously it couldn't be them. This game will def. weed out this section of the population, but for the first month or so, we will get to murder the shit out of them AHHAHAHA.

Originally posted by hotix

I hope I get to try this game out next beta phase, missed the last one because I had to much school work. A game based off pvp skill will send a lot of people away from it just due to the learning curve. Most people think they are good at pvp, and then unfortunetly learn the hard way that they are not. Usually the take blaming the game as their avenue and complain that way, because obviously it couldn't be them. This game will def. weed out this section of the population, but for the first month or so, we will get to murder the shit out of them AHHAHAHA.

this game will sort out "WoW Elite" from real PVP players just as simple as that.

Tab-Target is out of date.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

As for Pokket, certainly would not enjoy grouping with her, she does not seem to be a very good player, although the game is new to her.

Like the wise men say ..."look as cute and adorable as you can, it wont make you a good player"

[Mod Edit]

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Combat is cool and all but other than that TERA is just a typical Korean MMO.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I just bought a new alienware laptop. I like pvping. Should I buy Tera?

• SatchoSatcho Member UncommonPosts: 34

Go for it! The game looks and plays great.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

"The combat was constantly moving, and most fights become into avoid X and avoid Y..."

Yes, and?

Most MMO's are avoid X and avoid Y... except in TERA the combat is constantly moving, so sounds like an improvement/step-up from most MMO's to me...

At least in TERA youre looking at the SCREEN and watching the BOSS for his animations to find out when a big attack is coming.

But no, you're right; watching a cooldown timer on a boss-mod sounds a lot more fun...

/sarcasm

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• jfz133jfz133 Member Posts: 15

The combat is interesting at best, but it's no revolution. There have been action RPGs and action MMOs out for years. They appeal to a specific type of player but not the majority.

Tera has been super hyped, like most new games these past few years, it has nothing to do with how innovative it actually is, but just with how much media attention it got. I don't need to get into details as there have been reviews already explaining why the combat system isn't that good for pvp.

If I want to show my mad aiming skillz I'll just play my FPS games, I pvp in mmo's for other reasons.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Did anyone else find it disturbing that during the female character creation, the character's um... bosoms, kept heaving and she seemed to panting like crazy?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Did anyone else find it disturbing that during the female character creation, the character's um... bosoms, kept heaving and she seemed to panting like crazy?

'Disturbing'?

Not the word I would choose :P

• Merex760Merex760 Member Posts: 1

Tera has been out for a year though in Korea. Saying it's okay for that game to be out for a year and have no raids is like saying it would be okay if SWTOR launched with no raids, and had no raids for a full year.

Edit: AWWWW YEAH the outtro is back.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Super hyped? Hardly. I doubt a lot of people know about this game. Certainly not in the way they know GW2 for example.

In any case, this has been a decent coverage overall, imo. Some minor mistakes there, but to be expected I suppose. And she did play an advanced class, which is easy to play bad.

For example, yes you can rotate the camera around like any other MMO, even run towards the camera np. Also regarding queues, I don't really think they are necessary, since the amount of skills required to activate are not that many. These are pretty much covered by the chains later on in levels.

The one thing healers are going to love about this game is that they don't longer need to stare at the bars, almost at all. For one, the heals don't interract with the bars and for another there is so movement that you need to move where the action is, instead of sitting in a spot somewhere and play the fill the hotbar game. Also the clustering in the middle is not an issue for healing.

As for mad aiming skills, not really necessary. The game is quite forgiving in that regard. You do need to learn to move around though and yes, keyboard turners might have an issue with bosses leaping over them and mobs sidestepping and generally behaving a bit smarter than your average MMO monster.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im going to buy this game just to make some scantily clad axe wielding femmes.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

No but that little girl race made me feel a bit skeevy even looking at them in character creation.

Buncha guildies were elves.

Meh.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Merex760

Tera has been out for a year though in Korea. Saying it's okay for that game to be out for a year and have no raids is like saying it would be okay if SWTOR launched with no raids, and had no raids for a full year.

GW2 doesn't plan on implementing raids, so is that a problem? Doesn't seem like it for most people. Not to mention TERA does have raid like events now, you have monster invasions(rifts) that will open up and it will take twenty people to close the rifts, closing them earns you tokens you can use to buy cosmetics/armor.