Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall 2.0 will be FREE2PLAY, LOL

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

At least in Asia anyways..

http://sandboxer.org/?p=653

"bit of information is Darkfall 2.0 may not actually be called Darkfall 2.0 when it’s released. Internetq referred to it as ” Darkfall’s sequel (code-named Darkfall 2.0)”. While this isn’t firm proof that Darkfall 2.0 will be a completely different game from the original Darkfall it’s certainly starting to look that way."

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I'm not really sure what the "LOL" is about. I don't really follow Darkfall, so I don't know a lot about it but the fact is Free to Play is probably the future of the MMO genre and shouldn't be surprised at all that any game with less than 200,000 subscribers would go F2P. I might even give it a shot. Then again, I hate pvp,, so maybe not.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Jakard

I'm not really sure what the "LOL" is about. I don't really follow Darkfall, so I don't know a lot about it but the fact is Free to Play is probably the future of the MMO genre and shouldn't be surprised at all that any game with less than 200,000 subscribers would go F2P. I might even give it a shot. Then again, I hate pvp,, so maybe not.

The LOL in question is because OP is a fanboy of Mortal Online. Therefore he/she sees this as a funny thing because MO charges people for NOT having a game to play and DF is NOT charging people for a game to play.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by bartoni33

The LOL in question is because OP is a fanboy of Mortal Online. Therefore he/she sees this as a funny thing because MO charges people for NOT having a game to play and DF is NOT charging people for a game to play.

F2P is usually a bad gameplay model, especially for an MMO made by an indie developer with easily exploitable mechancis both with hacks/exploits and dupes/account hacking. The amount of foul play will be unbelievable were MO or Darkfall to go F2P on its western server/servers.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I'll agree with MO, however people are still being charged to play DarkFall even though no one's sure if they will wipe and they hardly update the game anymore/"focusing" on DF2.0... and remember, this is strictly for Asia right now.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I used to like Darkfall, but there is no point grinding when they are going so wipe the server.

So I quit and unsubbed. It is a pity though.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I used to like Darkfall, but there is no point grinding when they are going so wipe the server.

Tha sad truth is there's no point in grinding, period. 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Tha sad truth is there's no point in grinding, period. 

Yes, I agree with you enirely.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, moving to F2P might be a good idea, worked fine for DDO and several other games with relatively few subs.

But OP should be careful with the evil laughter, MO might go the same way as well, at least wouldn´t it surprise me if it did.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Version 1.0 is gonna be F2P if i read it correctly.

isnt sandboxer some sort of MO blog?

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

Regardless of fact or fiction, Aventurine need to realise their current business model isn't sustainable. Darkfalls subscription numbers are ridiculously poor.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by deathshroud

F2P is usually a bad gameplay model, especially for an MMO made by an indie developer with easily exploitable mechancis both with hacks/exploits and dupes/account hacking. The amount of foul play will be unbelievable were MO or Darkfall to go F2P on its western server/servers.

Not in Asia it's not, a lot of people from the countries over there spend a fortune on F2P games. Some do here also of course but not to the extent they do. F2P is much more profitibable than P2P in that area of the world.

If this was an announcement for the west then i might have been inclined to agree, partly, but it's not.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by username509

"bit of information is Darkfall 2.0 may not actually be called Darkfall 2.0 when it’s released. Internetq referred to it as ” Darkfall’s sequel (code-named Darkfall 2.0)”. While this isn’t firm proof that Darkfall 2.0 will be a completely different game from the original Darkfall it’s certainly starting to look that way."

I use to say F2P was stupid, but Lineage 2 showed that it can totally rebuild an mmo.  L2 was about done, they went f2p and now they have all servers filled and need more.  Not a bad thing tbh.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KLECKOKLECKO Member UncommonPosts: 48

Darkfall IS NOT going F2P.Darkfaall has new funding to make Darkfall for Asian market and it will be F2p for the Asian market .

Does MO have new funding?Dont think so

The investment in Aventurine amounts to € 2.6 million and will be effected by subscription to a convertible bond issue (the "Issue"). The Issue is linked to Aventurine's performance and will mature in March of 2015, while InternetQ will have the option to convert the bonds into equity at any time. Assuming the conversion takes place within seven months from the launch of Darkfall's sequel (code-named Darkfall 2.0), InternetQ will own c.40% of the Company's share capital. Following such conversion, InternetQ will also have the option to buy additional Company shares in order to control the majority of its share capital.

The investment will be funded by InternetQ's cash reserves, in line with management's commitment to invest the proceeds from the most recent secondary offering to expand the business in what the Directors believe it will be an accretive fashion. More specifically, the investment is expected to be earnings enhancing for 2012 through the receipt of a 6% bond coupon and has the potential to be earnings accretive in the years to follow assuming the successful launch of Darkfall 2.0.

The Issue proceeds will be used for:

• The launch of Darkfall 2.0 in the US and Europe;

• The co-development of the Asian Darkfall 2.0, which is to be a free-to-play version of the original game;

• The development of premium gaming entertainment content for InternetQ's AKAZOO platform
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by KLECKO

Darkfall IS NOT going F2P.Darkfaall has new funding to make Darkfall for Asian market and it will be F2p for the Asian market .

Does MO have new funding?Dont think so

The investment in Aventurine amounts to € 2.6 million and will be effected by subscription to a convertible bond issue (the "Issue"). The Issue is linked to Aventurine's performance and will mature in March of 2015, while InternetQ will have the option to convert the bonds into equity at any time. Assuming the conversion takes place within seven months from the launch of Darkfall's sequel (code-named Darkfall 2.0), InternetQ will own c.40% of the Company's share capital. Following such conversion, InternetQ will also have the option to buy additional Company shares in order to control the majority of its share capital.

The investment will be funded by InternetQ's cash reserves, in line with management's commitment to invest the proceeds from the most recent secondary offering to expand the business in what the Directors believe it will be an accretive fashion. More specifically, the investment is expected to be earnings enhancing for 2012 through the receipt of a 6% bond coupon and has the potential to be earnings accretive in the years to follow assuming the successful launch of Darkfall 2.0.

The Issue proceeds will be used for:

• The launch of Darkfall 2.0 in the US and Europe;

• The co-development of the Asian Darkfall 2.0, which is to be a free-to-play version of the original game;

• The development of premium gaming entertainment content for InternetQ's AKAZOO platform

Oh boy...my man...listen or read I should say.  I have always loved Darkfall...but you just posted a bunch of Adventuring spam.  Tell me one time anything that Adventurine ever posted came true, or that they hit a timeline, anything?  It doesn't happen.  Darkfall is a great game with a crap dev team, which is their biggest fail.  Don't think that quoting Adventurine is going to be some type of statistical proof of the future.  I love the game to...but you never know what you'll get with this company.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Be prepared for MO to do the same if they are still planning to launch in Asia, otherwise it's pay per hour which is reserved mainly for successful MMO's like WoW.

But hey... never let truth or logic hinder your posting... it sure doesn't over on the MO forums.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Be prepared for MO to do the same if they are still planning to launch in Asia, otherwise it's pay per hour which is reserved mainly for successful MMO's like WoW.

But hey... never let truth or logic hinder your posting... it sure doesn't over on the MO forums.

Ive been a MO subscriber for a long time and while I dont think its out of the picture for MO. I would say lets see how "Awakening" does first.

And I dont think its neccasarily fair to say the people on official forums dont know the truth. In actuality they know it all too well.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

in NA/EU F2P is a curse that causes a dead game to live on as a rotting corpse...or a game for children.

Please dont classify Buy to Play or Pay per Content, or an unlimited time, restricted content trial as F2P...its just padding pro F2P propeganda but has nothing to do with F2P games, since you must pay to play them all.

Anyway. I dont see this game going F2P, mabey in Asia and other countries where its...harder for people to pay a monthly sub due to restrictions to funds or payment methods.

A game like this you really couldnt made F2P with a cash shop without completely f-ing up what needs to be a leveld playfield.  No ones going to play a full loot game with seigeable clan cities if paying more will buy you victories...or any advantage.

They just need to stop the "every role played" during single encounters, which they are going to do....and mabey give lazy FPS players a maxed out character after killing one goblin since that what they really want..then send them over to instanced battle ground queues since again...its what they really want.  Then just make a normal version for those who like progression and pve with their full loot pvp and clan seiges...those of us who dont get the "shakes" knowing someone else out there is marginally better due to higher skills.

Also...get rid of damn meditation and this time roll back skills when a player macros.  However i suspect leveling skills is going to be on par with a themeparks 'endgame in a month" which is endgame in 2 weeks for power players.

Anyway...sucks to follow MO and still be waiting for a game that can get functioning basic gameplay.  DF would enrage me too if i were him.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by afhn2110

I use to say F2P was stupid, but Lineage 2 showed that it can totally rebuild an mmo.  L2 was about done, they went f2p and now they have all servers filled and need more.  Not a bad thing tbh.

If it's handled better than NC has handled L2's F2P "relaunch", then I'd agree. It's been horrid and their official forums are regularly lit up with people complaining about not being able to log in many times, meanwhile, there are botters/RMT'ers running amock, taking up space so legit players can't log in.

I was giving it a shot in the F2P mode, but gave up in frustration because when I could log in at all, it was a horrible lag-fest.

They need to get at least another 2 servers and then offer some incentives (like free transfers for an entire clan or something) to get people to spread to new space.

That there are a lot more people playing it as a free game does not surprise me at all. Tell someone a game with 8 years worth of content is free to play, no surprise they'd want to try it out. I wonder, though, how many are sticking around, and how many are actually spending money.

They've already proven their claims that "Truly Free" L2 would not have anything game-affecting in the cash shop was steaming pile. There are game-affecting items, and they do cost money and people are potentially spending quite a lot to obtain them. That's been a heated topic on the official forums as well. Not that it should surprise anyone that NC went that route. After all, no one in their right mind could really have believed they were going to sustain their business model by selling useless fluff items that most people wouldn't care for. I'm just surprised at how quickly they went back on their word, after making such a big deal of it for so long.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by afhn2110

If it's handled better than NC has handled L2's F2P "relaunch", then I'd agree. It's been horrid and their official forums are regularly lit up with people complaining about not being able to log in many times, meanwhile, there are botters/RMT'ers running amock, taking up space so legit players can't log in.

I was giving it a shot in the F2P mode, but gave up in frustration because when I could log in at all, it was a horrible lag-fest.

They need to get at least another 2 servers and then offer some incentives (like free transfers for an entire clan or something) to get people to spread to new space.

That there are a lot more people playing it as a free game does not surprise me at all. Tell someone a game with 8 years worth of content is free to play, no surprise they'd want to try it out. I wonder, though, how many are sticking around, and how many are actually spending money.

They've already proven their claims that "Truly Free" L2 would not have anything game-affecting in the cash shop was steaming pile. There are game-affecting items, and they do cost money and people are potentially spending quite a lot to obtain them. That's been a heated topic on the official forums as well. Not that it should surprise anyone that NC went that route. After all, no one in their right mind could really have believed they were going to sustain their business model by selling useless fluff items that most people wouldn't care for. I'm just surprised at how quickly they went back on their word, after making such a big deal of it for so long.