Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Star Wars games > New Star Wars games

2»

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by GreenHell

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES... good times!

Oh the many hours I pissed away on these games..seems like forever since i played them.

Same here.. man that's when games were just genuinely exciting and the closest thing to ' hype"  were how many kids were standing in line at the game demo in Lionel Playworld. ( much like Toy R US).  Those games were no cake walks either,

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Atheenah

In my dissapointment from seeing SWG being closed to the next massive dissapointment that the disaster SWTOR was i decided to take a step back.

So, i re-installed Jedi Knight II- Outcast!

Haha, what a blast! This old game beats SWTO any day! Im having a great time with it, and it will take a while

before i get back to MMO´s. Perhaps there will be  a cool sandbox soon.!

Riiiiiiight.  

Hey, thanks for taking your tongue out of SWTORs arse long enough to stop by and share your opinion. I'm totally happy you enjoy that game and are having a blast, but how about for once you try to respect the idea that other forum dwellers may not feel the same.

As to the OPs post, I have to agree that the earlier SW games such as the X-wing and Tie Fighter games, and the Dark Forces series were my favorites. And I still enjoy the occasional game of Battefront I and II.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Wow, where does all of the hate from SW:TOR come from? I mean, it is really that bad? I've played some great MMOs in my time and some really lousy MMOs and TORi s definitely on the good side of things. I think the game just had some super-unrealistic expectations that NO game could have possibly lived up to.

Now, I'm not saying the game is amazing. On a scale of 1-10, I definitely think 8.0 is a pretty realisitc score and the game probably will get better over the years. I've played a lot of the games you mentioned and truthfully,, I htink most of the love we have for older star wars games is mostly nostaligic. In any case, here's my top 3 Star Wars games.

#1) Knights of the Old Republic

#2) Lego Star Wars

#3) Star Wars: The Old Republic

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The 1990s wer the golden era for Star Wars video gaming.  When 1999 came around and Lawrence Holland left LucasArts the genre quickly began to fall apart.

After X-Wing: Alliance in 1998, the only Star Wars video games that still held a 1990's appeal to me were.

Star Wars Galaxies.

SW: Bounty Hunter

SW: Republic Commando.

I'm going to focus on Republic Commando here.

If you're reading this thread, and you're a fan of Star Wars: Dark Forces, then I highly recommend that you find Republic Commando (its on Steam cheap) and play it.

It seems to be the last of the SW gaming era that tried to focus on an aspect of Star Wars that had nothing to do with lightsabers.  Star Wars fans today, are all hooked on the idea that if it doesn't have a Lightsaber, than they're not interested.  So we're left with atll these sub-standard Jedi games that... they're not good. They're not even slightly good.

So if you want some Star Wars that has nothing to do with Jedi or Lightsabers.  Get ahold of Republic Commando, its the last bit of 1990s SW gaming...

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

The 1990s wer the golden era for Star Wars video gaming.  When 1999 came around and Lawrence Holland left LucasArts the genre quickly began to fall apart.

After X-Wing: Alliance in 1998, the only Star Wars video games that still held a 1990's appeal to me were.

Star Wars Galaxies.

If you're reading this thread, and you're a fan of Star Wars: Dark Forces, then I highly recommend that you find Republic Commando (its on Steam cheap) and play it.

It seems to be the last of the SW gaming era that tried to focus on an aspect of Star Wars that had nothing to do with lightsabers.  Star Wars fans today, are all hooked on the idea that if it doesn't have a Lightsaber, than they're not interested.  So we're left with atll these sub-standard Jedi games that... they're not good. They're not even slightly good.

So if you want some Star Wars that has nothing to do with Jedi or Lightsabers.  Get ahold of Republic Commando, its the last bit of 1990s SW gaming...

I had Republic Commando.  It was to me, a pretty decent Star Wars FPS in the mold you describe, being closer to Dark Forces than the later Force Unleashed.  The only fault I have with RC was that it was a very short game and no sequel ever came out to continue or wrap everything up.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Star Wars Galaxies.

I had Republic Commando.  It was to me, a pretty decent Star Wars FPS in the mold you describe, being closer to Dark Forces than the later Force Unleashed.  The only fault I have with RC was that it was a very short game and no sequel ever came out to continue or wrap everything up.

Lightsabers fully took over shortly after Republic Commando's release.

And its longer than a movie and cheaper than a meal at McDonald's, so.... can't go wrong.

You just can't go wrong with the classic LucasArts.  I even miss the old Logo.