Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I will definately be waiting for a free trial before I play Tera. Since it requires a sub and I am not gauranteed to get my monies worth out of the month that comes with the games now days. If it were B2P like Anet I would see no reason not to buy it because I know that I will at the very least get out of it what I put into it with my purchase.  As for it giving GW2 a run for it's money, I can only speak for myself and say I don't think so based on what I have seen and read thus far. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

There's no way in heck this game is going to give anything a "run for its money".

This is just another Asian grinder.  It'll have a decent launch because of the meager hype its worked up over the years, but after 2 to 3 months... ghost townsinvilleton usa.

Why? cause its a standard themepark that people will get tired of the rides and leave.

Oh look, another guy who's read nothing and never played it.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by sonoggi

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Games888

that see there is keep siege in GW2 and tera has none not even real world pvp so I put my money on GW2.

Guess you're behind on the times, next BETA for US they have PvP enabled from level 11 onward with no penalties for killing other players.

TERA also has Guild vs Guild wars, deathmatches up to 10v10 you can wager on and 5v5/10v10 battlegrounds which can influence your guilds ability to control specific territories and make changes to them.

TERA has enough PvP i'd say.

nah, all this is just fantasy, or something they hope to put in place at best. so far, we can reliably say that TERA only has BG's basically.

Guess I must have been watching a stream for a different game when I saw the guild vs guild wars going on. Silly me.

Or been playing a different game when I was making money betting in 10v10 deathmatches, people are so smart.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Lol...I bet you can cast an instant ability on the run in GW2....Tera isn't going to give anything a run for it's money.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

There's no way in heck this game is going to give anything a "run for its money".

This is just another Asian grinder.  It'll have a decent launch because of the meager hype its worked up over the years, but after 2 to 3 months... ghost townsinvilleton usa.

Why? cause its a standard themepark that people will get tired of the rides and leave.

Oh look, another guy who's read nothing and never played it.

F no I haven't played it.

Not going to either.  I don't care if it has Vindictus-esque combat.

Its a standard themepark game that will give NOTHING a 'run for its money'.

• GodwalkerGodwalker Member Posts: 21

Did you play the beta?  Than you would know this game is far from an asian grinder.  Everyone hit cap in like what 4-5 hours?

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by FlawSGI

I will definately be waiting for a free trial before I play Tera.

Open beta will be the same as a trial since they aren't whiping characters until some time after launch.  If you like TERA after the open beta you can preorder to get into head start or wait until launch and your characters will be there.

I know anyone can post anything within TOS here but honestly if you have no basis for assumptions please go slander somewhere else.  Your favorite game of choice probably has a forum here too and they miss you.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

Tera is not a competition for anything. Just wait till launch to see how many servers tera will have, then you´ll find the true about the game. 

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

it will be funny  if GW2 pull a open beta test date same time as Tera launch. 

The biggest challenge for any tab target MMO made from now on is making combat exciting.  It's no longer fun to simply move around making sure you face your enemy and spam abilities in the right order.  For those that do like that or cannot be successful at free aim will have plenty of other quality games to play like GW2.

If TERA gets their PvP system in right they will have healthy subs for a very long time IMO.  PvE-centric players? That will all depend on how serious Bluehole is about releasing constant content or coming up with a mechanic to keep playability going.  Bluehole already did something right by adding PvE servers, something that Aion could have benefitted from greatly.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I do agree on how over hyped GW2 is, and yes GW2 is over hyped. I mean from what it seem its solid game play but from what i can find there isn't anything new. Its solid yes but doesn't really have some unique feature to it beside for the fact its B2P so its cheaper. Tera has its new combat, archage has its sand box, TSW...i don't even know what its about, but GW2, beside everythign we already seen in mmorpg maybe done better nothing much else. Yet everyone GW2 fanboy claim its going to be the god of mmorpg.

No unique features?! GW2s will have the game world change based on what players or NPCs do or don't do. It's not just your average click on NPC and read text, like in TERA. Questing in GW2 is an ever changing experience. You can visit the same spot on the map on 2 different servers and chances are it will be different for each server.

Also, read this.

3 servers. Hundreds of players from each server, fighting over 4 huge zones with siege engines, keeps, towers, NPC mercenary camps, supply camps. Caravans that can be raided by other players and need to be protected. Upgradable defenses. Guilds can take over objectives and set up specfic bonuses that will help everyone on their side. Continuous war between 3 servers for 2 weeks.

Unique enough for you?

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

I for one enjoyed the last beta event (lev22 max) even though the game is not very sandboxy.

As long as the combat is fun I do not really care if its a themepark or a sandbox, grindy or not grindy.

Killing the basilisks was especially good. One time we (3 player party) accidentally pulled a second basilisk while fighting the first. My teammates wiped but I managed to kill both at the same time (sorc). Has been a long time since I felt that satisfied.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by teakbois

For starters, the art style, especially the female armor, looks like it was designed by a 14 year old boy.  This sort of thing does NOT resonate with most of that market.   Total Biscuit said the only race he could see himself playing was the Popori because of the heavy anime influences and the ridiculous female armor.  The game justs looks silly beyond all belief.  Gorgeous, but silly.

Except for the fact the armor is actually impressively designed and looks nice.

No games armor has more silly looking designs than WoW and it has the most subscribers and has had the most for almost seven years, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also TB says that but plays Popori, the race commonly found to be the most ridiculous next to elin, makes total sense. Maybe he could have tried human which looks better and more realistic than any human in almost any MMO. Honestly I don't really think he was using his head when he said that, you mean to tell me he thinks Human, Baraka and Amani are too anime in TERA but he played WoW which has Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, Gnomes, Goblins, Dwarves, Draenei, Worgen, Human and they all look cartoony and silly as hell, nevermind the shoulder pads the size of the character and giant weapons I see all the time.

Almost all of WoWs armor looks comically silly same with the characters, but for some reason TERA gets ridiculed all the time for doing the same thing with better graphics and more detail.

- How is this any different than TERAs designs in terms of ridiculousness?Don't even get me started on gnomes...

WoW doesn't take itself very seriously.  This is why even the panda thing will be fine for most of its players.

In any the art of seen for Tera, I have yet to come across something that shows any real humor.

Tera is like if you were to make Ren and Stimpy look more like a real dog and cat.  Elins look someone, with no humor intended, drew 10 year old girls with grown up dancer legs and bunny ears, while the pops look like living teddy bears.  To me, they look like they were drawn with the purpose of seriously looking viable in combat.

A gnome in WoW is not.  A person might roll up the most physical combat class a gnome can take, and take it to Hoggur for the sole purpose of laughing their ass off while stoned.

• GodwalkerGodwalker Member Posts: 21

Also.  The GW2 developers even said they are not in the market to compete with Sub Games. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by teakbois

For starters, the art style, especially the female armor, looks like it was designed by a 14 year old boy.  This sort of thing does NOT resonate with most of that market.   Total Biscuit said the only race he could see himself playing was the Popori because of the heavy anime influences and the ridiculous female armor.  The game justs looks silly beyond all belief.  Gorgeous, but silly.

No games armor has more silly looking designs than WoW and it has the most subscribers and has had the most for almost seven years, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also TB says that but plays Popori, the race commonly found to be the most ridiculous next to elin, makes total sense. Maybe he could have tried human which looks better and more realistic than any human in almost any MMO. Honestly I don't really think he was using his head when he said that, you mean to tell me he thinks Human, Baraka and Amani are too anime in TERA but he played WoW which has Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, Gnomes, Goblins, Dwarves, Draenei, Worgen, Human and they all look cartoony and silly as hell, nevermind the shoulder pads the size of the character and giant weapons I see all the time.

Almost all of WoWs armor looks comically silly same with the characters, but for some reason TERA gets ridiculed all the time for doing the same thing with better graphics and more detail.

- How is this any different than TERAs designs in terms of ridiculousness?Don't even get me started on gnomes...

WoW doesn't take itself very seriously.  This is why even the panda thing will be fine for most of its players.

In any the art of seen for Tera, I have yet to come across something that shows any real humor.

Tera is like if you were to make Ren and Stimpy look more like a real dog and cat.  Elins look someone, with no humor intended, drew 10 year old girls with grown up dancer legs and bunny ears, while the pops look like living teddy bears.  To me, they look like they were drawn with the purpose of seriously looking viable in combat.

A gnome in WoW is not.  A person might roll up the most physical combat class a gnome can take, and take it to Hoggur for the sole purpose of laughing their ass off while stoned.

Who said anythign not real have to be funny? Its ART, i can go to an art musum right now and say wtf is this crap and have people going down at my throat about now i have no sense of art but i have my prefernce. Same as you, its obvious you don't like this art style but doesn't make the art style bad. Tera is not aiming to be funny for the most part which is why it has good graphic unlike WoW that look like some kid got a print out and color it with their crayons.

Yes GW2 has good massive pvp, great, hope it works out as well as it sounds and doesn't just end up 1 side completely crushing the other side due to numbers. But for me i rather go with Tera's pvp, hey if you love big freaken battle where anyone w/o an epic computer or internet connect might as well be straw dummy with a target painting on their head, i prefer small or group pvp that require good team work and skill.

Yes massive battle require much more team work but to be honest when you get so many people you only are so important in the entire battle as there about at least 10 other guys doing the exact same thing. However if thats your thing great, just not really mine.

Obviously you never even bother looking at the game one bit so stop predicting how this game will go and go predict the lottery or something.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Lol...I bet you can cast an instant ability on the run in GW2....Tera isn't going to give anything a run for it's money.

You know what monster hunter and God eater burst is? probbly the only 2 game keeping the psp alive but aside from that those are both great action mmorp that you can't cast while moving, but the gameplay is great and to anyone who play it (past the second mission for monster hunter coz the learning curve was way too retarded) know its great game and have very hgih replay value. Now think of Tera as those game but with as mmorpg, thats the feeling you get when you beat a BAM and Boss. The thrill of beating something that trying to fight head on or 1v1 will completely kill you in 3 hits but beating it as a group through strategy and skills.

So no, been able to instant ability on the run in GW2 doesn't mean Tera won't give it run for its money. However the way GW2 make money is to make people to try it. they don't need player to stay playing they jjust need them to buy the game to try it and they make money period. Than and sell you expansion packs and cash shop item.

@CujoSWAoA if you want to go there i can say the same thing for GW2, it get people to try out the game so they buy it but in the end you go through few character and play through the quest which is great for single player but end of the day the massive battle are fun but totaly meanless to the avg player beside the fact they feel like they matter while its all control by the top guilds and pretty much they benfit the most from it. And thus after few month your left with only the "hardcore" gamer in the guild in control and their opposing guild playing non stop to be the "best" O wow i just pretty much summrised every single god damn mmorpg. If you want to boil everyting down to a themepark game (which still makes no sense to me) everysingle mmorpg well suffer the exact same damn fate.

Edit: BTW seige riped directly from o guess what linage other NCSoft game what a supprise.

It's high fantasy. After playing Aion it's refreshing to see such varied races and to not have class restrictions. In an environment where someone can shoot fire and ice out of there bodies it's not entirely out of the question to see a 200lb gerble/dog/fox wield a 150lb axe like it's a baseball bat.

I take that back, they make the heavy weapon animations very realistic.

The reason for that is how the game play out, not who twtich the fastest and get combo out but think throuh your attack but most of them have certain recovery frame. Playing monster hunter or god eater burst give a good idea of what the ideal behind the combat is.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Robsolf

Tera is like if you were to make Ren and Stimpy look more like a real dog and cat.  Elins look like someone, with no humor intended, drew 10 year old girls with grown up dancer legs and bunny ears, while the pops look like living teddy bears.  To me, they look like they were drawn with the purpose of seriously looking viable in combat.

Who said anythign not real have to be funny? Its ART, i can go to an art musum right now and say wtf is this crap and have people going down at my throat about now i have no sense of art but i have my prefernce. Same as you, its obvious you don't like this art style but doesn't make the art style bad. Tera is not aiming to be funny for the most part which is why it has good graphic unlike WoW that look like some kid got a print out and color it with their crayons.

If you look at the post I was responding to, you'd know that I wasn't saying that anything that doesn't look real has to be funny.  I'm explaining why WoW generally gets a pass for having silly looking characters.

Matter of fact, Tera's art, IMO, has a style that's TOO real given the unviable types of characters you can play.

It's like having THIS be how the Simpsons are actually drawn:

I'm not gonna say you do or don't have taste in art, or criticize people for liking the game.  If you like it, by all means, enjoy it.  I'm just sayin' that IMO, the art style and the whole Elin/Pop thing feels out of context, if not a bit creepy, like the Simpsons pic I posted above.

It only feel out of context because of the cultural different of east and west. Because thats how eastern culture is, the poppri and Elin are what lot of Eastern culutre represention of spirts or other race that live with us. So to them having those type of race in a game is as nature as we are used to seem elves.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Lol I just realize how many people are misinformed about GW 2, it's really funny.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Lol I just realize how many people are misinformed about GW 2, it's really funny.

Same said about Tera but we live on this stuff =P w/o it forum be boring =X

Edit: also anyone know why i only get e-mail when this post is updated but not other ones i post in o.o?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by RizelStar

Same said about Tera but we live on this stuff =P w/o it forum be boring =X

Edit: also anyone know why i only get e-mail when this post is updated but not other ones i post in o.o?

I know they are both fun games(I played both) will be either enjoying both or use Tera as a filler till it comes out but I like Tera's gameplay mainy cause the action and control over attacking is akin to GW 2, only drawback with tera is some skills stop movement and what not.

Also just to be sure how do you think GW 2's pvp is done? I swear I hope I read it wrong from the other post...one sec.

Whew scared me the way it was worded made me think it said opposite.

But yea I do plan on using Tera for GVG events and the political side far as after hitting cap.

It'll be good to enjoy both hell sheer fact we can enjoy pvp from the mmos this year is a good change, and pve.

MMOs are finally for me lol(Counter those who say "MMOs are not for you.")

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

"Obviously you never even bother looking at the game one bit so stop predicting how this game will go and go predict the lottery or something."

What a rube.

I've been watching TERA videos for ages now.  Its just a run of the mill quest window mmorpg.  I don't know why this upsets people so much.

Oe rite, cause those are lame and played out.

"Obviously you never even bother looking at the game one bit so stop predicting how this game will go and go predict the lottery or something."

What a rube.

I've been watching TERA videos for ages now.  Its just a run of the mill quest window mmorpg.  I don't know why this upsets people so much.

Oe rite, cause those are lame and played out.

O right and i can say the exact same thing about GW2 combat is just yoru run of the mill lock on and press every single button you got game as well.

First of all Watching Tera video doesn't feel anything like playing it when you have full control. and second how much quest do you honestly do? so it makes lvling all the more interesting but we all know with in 1-2month your done with it and is cap and be focus on farming or pvp and what play a key part in that? good combat system.

Seriously if game is good or bad can be told from just watching videos than why bother even having betas, game company post a billion youtube videos because obviously people can tell exactly how good the game is and every aspect of the game from videos.