Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by DannyGlover

One kind of major issue, in my opinion, that TERA has is that the main development is done in S. Korea so any kind of content updates will always lag behind in the west. And not just content updates either. Bugs fixes, character and game balancing will all lag behind. This type of a set up makes rapid response to various issues difficult.

Not sure about now but I believe Aion was the same way when it launched. Content gets released in S. Korea first and then gets ported to the rest of the world a few months later.

That is one of the bigger deterrents for me when it comes to this game. If there is a gamebreaking issue, you have to wait much longer for it to be resolved.

That's not how it works with bug fixes.

Good to hear. The longer wait for the content will probably still annoy me though.

Yeah that always bugged me when I was playing Dungeon Fighter Online. Korea got all the cool new zones, characters, weapons, etc many many months before North America did.

I can't remember where I saw it but the Devs stated they would try to make Tera completely synced throughout the world, keeping updates as close in regions as possible. If this holds true or not we will see.

They are trying thats why Blue Hole has an NA branch here that constantly travel back and forth. If its truth NA launch will have lvl 60 contant which is where Korea will be in about a month.

Also Tera's core Dev team was the Core dev team for L1 and L2 so i'm sure they have the most experience there.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by rexzshadow

o me GW and GW2 is like Halo, there is a PvE there its nice but short and totaly skipable and thats pretty much what lot of people do is rush though it to get to the part they want to play which is the PvP, whole point of guild War. Sounds lot like Halo where everyone either jump directly to online pvp or rush through campain than go on xbox live. I mean it looks nice and all but seriously, yes it has good quest thats almost like single player but guess what? Tera has way better combat system. It even out in the end really if you want game with good quest that last you through out your sort pve live or a game with epic combat system that make standard quest feel run and give you epic end game pve or pvp experience.

I think that you need to take your own advice and learn a bit about GW and GW2 before passing judgement.

o me GW and GW2 is like Halo, there is a PvE there its nice but short and totaly skipable and thats pretty much what lot of people do is rush though it to get to the part they want to play which is the PvP, whole point of guild War. Sounds lot like Halo where everyone either jump directly to online pvp or rush through campain than go on xbox live. I mean it looks nice and all but seriously, yes it has good quest thats almost like single player but guess what? Tera has way better combat system. It even out in the end really if you want game with good quest that last you through out your sort pve live or a game with epic combat system that make standard quest feel run and give you epic end game pve or pvp experience.

I think that you need to take your own advice and learn a bit about GW and GW2 before passing judgement.

Could be wrong about GW2 because i only play GW and assume there is at least similar in few ways. In GW war your given pretty much a short PvE to hit lvl 20 like a single player game or you can skip that and make alvl 20 and go have fun at arena or the massive faction vs faction war. All instance, just like a damn fps -.- You can choice to play halo story or just say screw it and go stright online. Now i know GW2 adding more PvE in to their game but you know the end game is about massive PvP, thats was the freaken selling point of guild wars. Its in the name. However aside from the good quest (and not having a monthly fee but we deal with game play here rather than cost) and massive pvp (which every game is getting) i honestly don't see what make it that much better than Tera.

GW2 has better quest, Tera has better combat, and to me better combat means hella lot more gameplay because quest means nothing at end game and we all know how fast everyone going to hit that or else they scream grind fest this is boring and quit. (i know its sad some people can't stand a little grinding) So yes quest are standarded in Tera but combat make up for it, can quest make up for the combat? yes but does it matter at end game when its all about pvp? No. I can tell you right now Tera pvp is better and require more skill than GW2 right now. Period.

But still in the end they really don't compete, just like GW2 doesn't compete with WoW because they are 2 completely different sub type. Just because people get GW2 doesn't mean they will cancel their WoW subs, getting Tera on the other hand will because paying 2 monthly is mostly too much for some people.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by elocke

GW2 is in a completely different ballpark and comparing Tera to it is like putting your kid brother/sister up against Mike Tyson.  Tera isn't THAT good.  Combat is good and all but a truly great MMORPG is more than just how good it's combat feels.

And TERA has limited appeal.   It might do well with the younger crowd, but I dont think it will resonate with the upper 20s+ crowd, which is where the bulk of the MMO market is.

Originally posted by teakbois

GW2 is in a completely different ballpark and comparing Tera to it is like putting your kid brother/sister up against Mike Tyson.  Tera isn't THAT good.  Combat is good and all but a truly great MMORPG is more than just how good it's combat feels.

And TERA has limited appeal.   It might do well with the younger crowd, but I dont think it will resonate with the upper 20s+ crowd, which is where the bulk of the MMO market is.

Care to explain? i can't see Tera do well with younger crowd... first of all its rated M but when does that stop anyone from playing it right. The combat system is much more skill based than any current MMORPG market which means it require more time to prefect and master. This game isn't learn to press 1 2 3 4 5 in order, that doesn't work. So i don't know how a heavly skill based game turn away 20s+ crowds?

Could be wrong about GW2 because i only play GW and assume there is at least similar in few ways. In GW war your given pretty much a short PvE to hit lvl 20 like a single player game or you can skip that and make alvl 20 and go have fun at arena or the massive faction vs faction war. All instance, just like a damn fps -.- You can choice to play halo story or just say screw it and go stright online. Now i know GW2 adding more PvE in to their game but you know the end game is about massive PvP, thats was the freaken selling point of guild wars. Its in the name. However aside from the good quest (and not having a monthly fee but we deal with game play here rather than cost) and massive pvp (which every game is getting) i honestly don't see what make it that much better than Tera.

GW2 has better quest, Tera has better combat, and to me better combat means hella lot more gameplay because quest means nothing at end game and we all know how fast everyone going to hit that or else they scream grind fest this is boring and quit. (i know its sad some people can't stand a little grinding) So yes quest are standarded in Tera but combat make up for it, can quest make up for the combat? yes but does it matter at end game when its all about pvp? No. I can tell you right now Tera pvp is better and require more skill than GW2 right now. Period.

But still in the end they really don't compete, just like GW2 doesn't compete with WoW because they are 2 completely different sub type. Just because people get GW2 doesn't mean they will cancel their WoW subs, getting Tera on the other hand will because paying 2 monthly is mostly too much for some people.

GW1 ended up primarily a PvE game.  

GW2's combat looks a lot more interestng with the different skill sets that you can switch around and the combo system between different classes

Even if TERAs PvP requires more skill, it will be countered by GW2 requiring more strategy and knowledge

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

God, doesn't that comment make me feel young again? /flex

sigh

I won't count on that juse because Tera require just as much strategy GW2 does.

Ok big point here Tera is action combat but its not twitch combat like street fighter where its about how fast you can get out your combo or get a counter in at the right time. Think of monster hunter, both the action and twtich with lot of stragey invovled, we had lot of complain on the forum because people expect Tera to bel ike thie super fast action paced game but its not its lot of stratgey in it with the action combat. So i don't think GW2 require more strategy than Tera. If anyone play monster hunter or god eater burst know what i mean.

Also how did GW1 turn out to be PvE game o.o? i mean lvl cap was freaken 20XD

PvE game play in GW is just as extensive and important as the PvP content. There are 3 campaigns and one expansion, not to mention the numerous content patches. Of course if you only used PvE to get to 20, you missed out on not only most of the game but some decent stories as well. By the time you get to level 20 in GW, you're not even half way through a campaign.

As far as your GW2 paragraph, it's obvious that you're not very familiar with that particular game. Hell, you don't seem to be familiar with GW either.

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

tera  has a sub fee.

gw2 doesn't and is cheaper.

will anyone skip gw2? due to that?

will anyone skip tera? due to that?

what is the cost if the game is crap? $5/hour assuming you try all of the gw2 classes and give them a chance to hook you.

tera has a cost greater than that and a sub fee. so there is more risk.

all in all i doubt tera will give GW2 a run for the money. any other sub game, maybe, but i highly doubt gw2... as the cost structure and adoption cost are too dissimilar.

Care to explain? i can't see Tera do well with younger crowd... first of all its rated M but when does that stop anyone from playing it right. The combat system is much more skill based than any current MMORPG market which means it require more time to prefect and master. This game isn't learn to press 1 2 3 4 5 in order, that doesn't work. So i don't know how a heavly skill based game turn away 20s+ crowds?

For starters, the art style, especially the female armor, looks like it was designed by a 14 year old boy.  This sort of thing does NOT resonate with most of that market.   Total Biscuit said the only race he could see himself playing was the Popori because of the heavy anime influences and the ridiculous female armor.  The game justs looks silly beyond all belief.  Gorgeous, but silly.

People also tend to be more interested in immersion.  And this game just does not seem immersive at all, from whats been seen.  And it would have to have some amazing RP elements to overcome that silly look.  And before people say what about WoW....WoW has a whimsical fantasy look about it.  And the animations are a lot more restrained and it seems so much more natural.

Also a lot of MMORPG players work normal 40 hours week, and log in a couple hours each night.  They dont necessarily want a more action oriented game.  A lot of people get their action fixes from FPS games.

And if you think games like WoW are about pressing 1 2 3 4 5 in that order, you are absolutely clueless.  Most classes have a priority system and with different cooldowns and different fight mechanics its not as simple as pressing buttons int he same order every time.  but thats a whole different argument.  I dont even like that system, I prefer the resource management system of an EQ1 type game where you had to balance mana and aggro and work as efficiently as possible.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

PvE game play in GW is just as extensive and important as the PvP content. There are 3 campaigns and one expansion, not to mention the numerous content patches. Of course if you only used PvE to get to 20, you missed out on not only most of the game but some decent stories as well. By the time you get to level 20 in GW, you're not even half way through a campaign.

As far as your GW2 paragraph, it's obvious that you're not very familiar with that particular game. Hell, you don't seem to be familiar with GW either.

Heh I always perceived GW as a PVP game to be honest, the meta game and builds was what made it fun to me while PVE could be enjoyable just for the sake of exploration it always ticked me off that you couldnt walk down a slope and that made me feel like I was on a track.

EDIT: For people complaining about the artstyle I could imagine armors more covered up but the oversized weapons and such is hardly a problem and I think this game would look terrible without big weapons, WoW has lots of silly gear and colors and such and there are plenty of older folks playing that game.

Or you guys really think this gear is less silly and oversized in ways:

Personally I prefer the TERA style then however I dont really pay that much attention to how characters look while I am playing or such.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I mean GW2>TERA , nobody argues that.

But TERA manages to bring very traditional EQ2 MMO gameplay and merge it with action combat.

I can see it strongly appealing to people that will find GW2 too innovative and different - and there will be many like that

So by my prediction. TERA will be one of rare MMOs around not to be completely stomped and eliminated by GW2

You know DCUO does that as well but look where that landed.

No it doesnt. DCUO is still tab target button mash pvp but instead of spamming 10 skills you only spam 2.

Anyways, you cant really compare anything with GW2. Most people, like me, dont give a shit about GW2 but just get it because theres no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to TSW you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to Tera you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to <Insert any game> you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

First of all i'm guessing you haven't play or seen a single eastern mmorpg with that comment -.-

What exactly make it hard to immerse yourself in this game?

Neither do they want to bore themself to death with pressing same button over and over again that they can do it with their eye closed. Sorry lot of people work office jobs and these aren't the most exciting thing in the world. Unless you work at something that require a lot of reflect and twitching already, you really don't get that much action in. Thats completely different type of game, i can say the same for everyone game people can just go play fps instead -.-

In the end its pretty much pressing the same key in a certain order. I play enough mmorpg to know that for a fact. And i have friend that play woW and they pretty much know what to do for their dps with their eye closed -.- that or face roll . and tera require you to work effecitly too. You have stamia which constantly drains and if it gets too low you take hp/mp penty which means your boss fights have time limits. Your mp drains is used up pretty fast so you have to land normal hits to regain them while avoid getting hit instead of just using pots, you have to work for it.

Edit: Psyknx agree with you there, anyone think GW2 will take data base from anyone is pretty much flat out wrong. We all know people will get it just to try it out because there is no monthly. I would barely take anyone people awaly because people are just going to play 2 game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

For starters, the art style, especially the female armor, looks like it was designed by a 14 year old boy.  This sort of thing does NOT resonate with most of that market.   Total Biscuit said the only race he could see himself playing was the Popori because of the heavy anime influences and the ridiculous female armor.  The game justs looks silly beyond all belief.  Gorgeous, but silly.

Except for the fact the armor is actually impressively designed and looks nice.

No games armor has more silly looking designs than WoW and it has the most subscribers and has had the most for almost seven years, so I don't think that's the problem.

Also TB says that but plays Popori, the race commonly found to be the most ridiculous next to elin, makes total sense. Maybe he could have tried human which looks better and more realistic than any human in almost any MMO. Honestly I don't really think he was using his head when he said that, you mean to tell me he thinks Human, Baraka and Amani are too anime in TERA but he played WoW which has Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, Gnomes, Goblins, Dwarves, Draenei, Worgen, Human and they all look cartoony and silly as hell, nevermind the shoulder pads the size of the character and giant weapons I see all the time.

Almost all of WoWs armor looks comically silly same with the characters, but for some reason TERA gets ridiculed all the time for doing the same thing with better graphics and more detail.

imageimageimageimageimage  - How is this any different than TERAs designs in terms of ridiculousness?

image Don't even get me started on gnomes...

Because WoW is made by american company so you already got all the xenophoics behind it saying anything not american is bad, *cough* *cought* FPS *cough* *cough*. And to the strang section of the gaming communty who think hot chick in revealing armor is a bad thing and they rather stare at something a 10 year old drew while playing D&D.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by psyknx

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I mean GW2>TERA , nobody argues that.

But TERA manages to bring very traditional EQ2 MMO gameplay and merge it with action combat.

I can see it strongly appealing to people that will find GW2 too innovative and different - and there will be many like that

So by my prediction. TERA will be one of rare MMOs around not to be completely stomped and eliminated by GW2

You know DCUO does that as well but look where that landed.

No it doesnt. DCUO is still tab target button mash pvp but instead of spamming 10 skills you only spam 2.

Anyways, you cant really compare anything with GW2. Most people, like me, dont give a shit about GW2 but just get it because theres no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to TSW you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to Tera you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

If your looking forward to you will play that PLUS GW2 because it has no monthly fee.

That seems like a common point. In fact earlier in this thread I myself said it may be the first time I play two MMO's concurrently despite being a serial monogamist when it comes to games.

I am not sure it will pan out like that really after all for most of us it's not really the money that is the issue, it's the 'investment' of time and energy. People tend to play the game they currently enjoy the most rather than the top 2, 3, 4, or 5 games thay enjoy most. I guess even if we can afford it we don't like paying for stuff we are not using, I don't. Why pay for two games when you can play one sub free but then again why pay for any games when the one you are ejoying most is sub free.

One thing I thing B2P (and F2P) bring is a more relaxed approach there is less of a race. With P2P there is kind of a subconcious drive toe for example 'get to 50 in the first month'.

Incidentally if they are all equally fun games GW2 + TSW bring the most diversity (imho).

F2P play game are by far from relaxing and until they come up with a universal code for cash shop F2P games will contintue to never match up ever because of the little cash shop that always kills the game.

Again GW2 isn't going to compete with anyone really, peopel going to get it just to do something dfferent every now and than. Even most gamer want ot play something else for a change instead of their favorate game all the time. Which is totaly likly to play 2 mmorpg at once.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Almost all of WoWs armor looks comically silly same with the characters, but for some reason TERA gets ridiculed all the time for doing the same thing with better graphics and more detail.

I think people are mostly ridiculing the female armor in TERA. Also, castanic and elf males are a bit on the metrosexual side and don't even get me started on elin... Anyway.

The artwork and the graphics are very well done in TERA but I do agree with TB about the races. Most of the races look too anime-ish. Human males do look decent though and the popori, while silly, have very fun to watch animations and would be my personal race of choice, if I decide to get the game.

One thing I do dislike are the magically extending axes and lances. Also, while I'm on the subject, the whole lancer class is a complete WTF to me. I mean I know that it's a fantasy game and all but a lancer is using a weapon that is not only designed to be used from horseback but usually gets discarded in close range melee. Wierd.

Its a fcking Asian game ofc its going to look animish because thats the art style. Just the same reason i fcking hate WoW and skyrim graphic to death coz WoW looks stupid because i hate cartoon graphic and skyrim trys way too hard for realism and everyone just look plan ugly. But thats a person preference.

Dude its fantsay -.- using lancer on foot is by far not the most unrealistic thing game have done -.- btw lance gun in monster hunter.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    It's either this or ArchAngel I will play together with GW2 :)

F2P play game are by far from relaxing and until they come up with a universal code for cash shop F2P games will contintue to never match up ever because of the little cash shop that always kills the game.

Again GW2 isn't going to compete with anyone really, peopel going to get it just to do something dfferent every now and than. Even most gamer want ot play something else for a change instead of their favorate game all the time. Which is totaly likly to play 2 mmorpg at once.

You're downplaying GW2's popularity. That game is incredibly hyped right now. It's not going to be a game that people get just to play something different every once in a while. No "play once in a while" game has ever gotten this much hype. Many people are looking at GW2 as their main MMO.

The pricing level of the game is irrelevent. GW2 is a full featured AAA quality MMO and will compete with other MMOs just like they all compete with each other now. MMOs are designed to be time consuming and many people tend to stick to one MMO at a time, regardless of pricing level.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Loke666

I think Tera will take down one of NC softs games but we are talking about AION here, not GW2.

It is actually a pretty fun game but I think GW2 will give games like Titan and Wow a run for the money, Tera is not really playing in the same league.

I can see Tera having surprisingly many subs, like 350 000 - 500 000 in the west and I think it will do pretty good here unless it have some bad end game issues but I don´t see it as a game that will get over a million players.   GW2 will.

agree and i have to say if any new mmo dont have any other meaning than just pvp arena / gear grind dungeons at the end majorirty always quits after hitting max.

Never said GW2 was play once in a while game, but its totally possible tp lay GW2 with WoW/rift/SWTOR/Tera/etc... While playing 2 p2p game at once. And GW2 is over hyped, and i can already tell there be a group of disappointed people because for some reason they were expecting the holy grail of mmorpg out of it. Well no game is unless you got the time and funding SC2 had lol. noo wait funding and tiem SC2 had and the amount of time SC1 had for it to be completely balanced.

Yes it is but again its hella lot more likely for someone to play 2 mmorpg when one doesn't have a sub. If i played WoW and want to start rift must of the time i'm going to cancel my WoW account. however for GW2 i could buy it and still keep my WoW sub when i want to go play it some times. Thus its not as direct competition as a p2p game is.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Nobody I know is interested in Tera anymore.  My group of friends used to wanted to play it until we found out how shallow the gameplay is.  Whether I'd have liked the game 5 years ago is another matter, but I'm not running anymore damn quests.