Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Contrary to belief  some mmo player,even alot of mmo players still like the standard quests system.Now, Tera actually brings that system as well as a political system and public quests with a robust action combat system all in one package.

I am a avid GW2 fan but Tera has really supprised me and come out of know where.It offers as much as any other standard quest system MMO and more.

I don't think it will go up against GW2 but it really outshines swtor and other standard quest system MMOS because of the other added features..ie combat being the main one.

On top of that the graphics are superb with open world and the game runs way better than that $200million junk that had fanboys embarrassing  themselves on forums across the interwebs.

IMO, if swtor is a 9/10 then Tera is off the scale.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Originally posted by Loke666

I think Tera will take down one of NC softs games but we are talking about AION here, not GW2.

It is actually a pretty fun game but I think GW2 will give games like Titan and Wow a run for the money, Tera is not really playing in the same league.

I can see Tera having surprisingly many subs, like 350 000 - 500 000 in the west and I think it will do pretty good here unless it have some bad end game issues but I don´t see it as a game that will get over a million players.   GW2 will.

this

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

um Tera got nothing on GW2, silly combat.. and if you dare to call that action combat.. more like turn based hotbar combat,

spells still are like in any themepark.. ( wow swtor etcetc) you cant move during spells ( which is step backwards even from hotbar combat ) only thing thats new, is that enemies actually hit some space, which goes like, you hit spell, you move to side, enemy eyes glows he hits ground, you hit again, you move to side again, enemy hits, over and over , action rpg.. yes you never played one probably...

no endgame, and literaly no endgame, swtor had none, but this one have none at all, and its been live for year? all they did was 3-4 dungeons? that arent in yet? no raids?  and couple world bosses, thats it.. and politic system noone knows about, apart year old trailer

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I dont see it tbh, GW2 is a B2P with no subs, so I will go out on a limb here and say sales of GW2 will dwarf most MMO's on the market with one exception.  Buying GW2 for most gamers is going to be a must, you can play it when you want and not worry about subs and still have the ability to play a subscription MMO without the wallet hurting your finances.  As to how many players will be constantly playing GW2 at anyone time, its going to be anyones guess, but the first month or so will be pretty high I would think.  PvP'rs will enjoy it, casual PVP'rs will enjoy it, and PVE'rs both HC and casual will enjoy it, the game will have something for everyone.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

Contrary to belief  some mmo player,even alot of mmo players still like the standard quests system.Now, Tera actually brings that system as well as a political system and public quests with a robust action combat system all in one package.
    I am a avid GW2 fan but Tera has really supprised me and come out of know where.It offers as much as any other standard quest system MMO and more.
    I don't think it will go up against GW2 but it really outshines swtor and other standard quest system MMOS because of the other added features..ie combat being the main one.
    On top of that the graphics are superb with open world and the game runs way better than that $200million junk that had fanboys embarrassing  themselves on forums across the interwebs.

You said it well, in your opinion

Other people might have a lot less tolerance towards quests that are even more standard and less varied than the average traditional questing in MMO's like LotrO, WoW and others.

We'll see how TERA will do in the West, in the East we already know: but it'd be foolish to believe that bc you enjoy the game, automatically the majority of MMO gamers will do as much as well. But, we'll find out.
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

If we hear about a Guild Wars 2 release date during PAX East this year, or anytime before TERA's launch and said date happens to be close to TERA's launch, then that would hurt TERA sales immensely. I keep on seeing people, on various forums, that they plan to get TERA because it will come out before GW2. But once those people finally get a date to look forward to (a GW2 release date), TERA won't seem that important any more.

Quite frankly I just don't see TERA effecting GW2 in any way, but I see the opposite happening, especially from the people who will play TERA and question whether it is worth a monthly sub.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

One factor I haven't seen mentioned here, the graphics art style. Sadly a LOT of western players are still put off by the anime style characters. This will always be a limiting factor for Korean based games. Even TB mentioned it in his 38 slayer walkthrough. 

I don't think there is any debate to be had here really. The hardcore TERA fans will stay with TERA when GW2 comes out. But a lot if not most players will move to GW2 since its being regarded as the next biggest thing in the West.

Sure you have external factors like D3/SP games, but as far as MMO competition goes...there really isn't much.

Personally, I want to play TERA, been following it for a VERY long time. Enjoy the game quite a bit. But if GW2 comes out within 1 month of TERA, I simply won't pre-order. 

So i'm in the  same boat as a lot others here. Waiting for Arenanet to announce a release date for GW2. Chances are they will do one of two things:

1.) Release around the same time as TERA and be in direct competition.

2.) Wait for TERA to mature a month or so and release.

Realistically speaking, they will put out GW2 when its done. Games with a 'when its done' clause have a tendency to delay. So I'm guessing option 2 is what will happen.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Unless TERA goes B2P then it will not effect GW2 in anyway. TERA is a standard MMO with a newer combat system and nothing more. People will get to end game and realise it aint worth the sub fee and drop like most other MMOs when something else new comes out. Also, anyone who thinks the Political system means anything to you should actually look it up. Unless you are a guild leader or a hardcore battlegrounds PvPer then you are not involved in the system at all especially since it's exploitable to the extreme. TERA will end up like every other flash in the pan Korean MMO which is why I refuse to buy it right away.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i doubt half the people in Anet know what tera is.  Im planning to try tera.  But i dont think it will affect gw2 at all.  At best will have 300k subs after 3months, which imo would be a big success for enmasse and bluehole.  A lot of people seem to think for a game to be a success it needs to have 1mil or more subs, i dont think that is the case. 

I've got the straight edge.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Smikis

um Tera got nothing on GW2, silly combat.. and if you dare to call that action combat.. more like turn based hotbar combat,

spells still are like in any themepark.. ( wow swtor etcetc) you cant move during spells ( which is step backwards even from hotbar combat ) only thing thats new, is that enemies actually hit some space, which goes like, you hit spell, you move to side, enemy eyes glows he hits ground, you hit again, you move to side again, enemy hits, over and over , action rpg.. yes you never played one probably...

[...]

Yeah, I actually prefer how The Witcher 2 does combat, which is very similar to TERA's combat system (left-click, right-click, hotbars, monsters with 'tells'). However it much faster paced and has tab-target (like GW2).

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by brody71

i doubt half the people in Anet know what tera is.  Im planning to try tera.  But i dont think it will affect gw2 at all.  At best will have 300k subs after 3months, which imo would be a big success for enmasse and bluehole.  A lot of people seem to think for a game to be a success it needs to have 1mil or more subs, i dont think that is the case. 

They need more sales and subs cause it was the most expensive Korean MMO made at the time of it's release which lead to underwelming subs in Korea and Japan. So, yeah, they have a lot to make up for cause you also got to take into consideration that there is no box sales in Korea. High box/digital sales is what they are most likely aiming for but if it underperforms here then it will probably be pretty bad for the game.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by brody71

Agreed, my fav game was L2 and pretty much the only thing I played for a longer timer for 8-9 years, was there a mil euro players there doing that? Nope. Did it matter to me and my mates at all? Nope.

On the other hand I think people who talk like GW2 will be the emperor of games should take it a bit easy on their talk because if it doesn't become such a perfect game as many preech then there will be quite a lot of embarrassment. ; )

Im planning to get both of them, Ill just stick to the one I like best, and when Blade and Soul comes out Ill try that, when AA comes out Ill try that etc etc.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by smh_alot

You said it well, in your opinion

Other people might have a lot less tolerance towards quests that are even more standard and less varied than the average traditional questing in MMO's like LotrO, WoW and others.

We'll see how TERA will do in the West, in the East we already know: but it'd be foolish to believe that bc you enjoy the game, automatically the majority of MMO gamers will do as much as well. But, we'll find out.

First off,when did i say that if i enjoy the game others will,i didn't so we can put that one to bed straight away.

Secondly ,lotro is a quest grinding treadmill that is just a grindy as Tera,i know i played the game for years on and off.How many boars do you kill in lotro or wolves lol,freaking every single zone/area has you killing boars or wolvesas the main bread and butter quests.

Tera is no different than WOW,LOTRO,OR EQ2 when it comes to questing.

Tera could do well or it could not but it  offers more than your standard quest grinding themepark MMO,this alone gives it a chance.It's kind of like RIFT,take away the combat system and it would not have done half as well as it has.

Take away GW2 dynamic events and combat and the game wouldn't even be on the radar.Today you need to have that little bit more than your grinding quest treadmill,people don't mind the treadmill if  the game has other features that are different.

I am a GW2 fanboy,GW2 is not under threat people..

I give credit where credit is due,Tera is not a bad game at all and it is more entertaining than swtor ever was IMO.

Time will tell..

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I mean GW2>TERA , nobody argues that.

But TERA manages to bring very traditional EQ2 MMO gameplay and merge it with action combat.

I can see it strongly appealing to people that will find GW2 too innovative and different - and there will be many like that

So by my prediction. TERA will be one of rare MMOs around not to be completely stomped and eliminated by GW2

TSW>GW2&TERA

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Imo it will be a fun filler for a couple of months, which is more than what i can say from games like Rift (3 weeks) & Swtor (2 weeks), man those games got boring fast.

Im also looking forward to the Server vs Server pvp, dynamic content and the 9th class updates.

GW2 is must-buy, another good filler while we wait for ArcheAge.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by spaceport

Imo it will be a fun filler for a couple of months, which is more than what i can say from games like Rift (3 weeks) & Swtor (2 weeks), man those games got boring fast.

Im also looking forward to the Server vs Server pvp, dynamic content and the 9th class updates.

GW2 is must-buy, another good filler while we wait for ArcheAge.

You and me both good sir. ;)

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Secondly ,lotro is a quest grinding treadmill that is just a grindy as Tera,i know i played the game for years on and off.How many boars do you kill in lotro or wolves lol,freaking every single zone/area has you killing boars or wolvesas the main bread and butter quests.

Tera could do well or it could not but it  offers more than your standard quest grinding themepark MMO,this alone gives it a chance.It's kind of like RIFT,take away the combat system and it would not have done half as well as it has.

Take away GW2 dynamic events and combat and the game wouldn't even be on the radar.Today you need to have that little bit more than your grinding quest treadmill,people don't mind the treadmill if  the game has other features that are different.

I give credit where credit is due,Tera is not a bad game at all and it is more entertaining than swtor ever was IMO.

Time will tell..

? Sure, LotrO had its share of standard quests too, but next to that it had the Book quests and all kinds of different quests like the Shire type quests, from pie delivery to beer racing to becoming a chicken and fulfill quests like that, just to name some. Definitely not standard. So no, LotrO quests > TERA quests, same applies to WoW.

It's hard to tell what people need, bc 'people' is only another word for a whole mass of individuals with each their own tastes and preferences, some may overlap while in other areas they don't: some people might find TERA's combat+graphics distinctive enough just like others found Rift's rifts and Soul system or TOR's VO/cutscene questing and companions distinctive enough, while for others it isn't, and again other gamers really don't care if a game is innovative or not, as long as it's fun to them.

I can see how TERA for you might've been more entertaining. Me, I value a more immersive quest leveling higher on the priorities list so I found TOR very entertaining so far. In TERA, I expect to enjoy the combat and world, but regarding my personal preferences I'm sceptic whether it'll hold my interest beyond the betas. As for GW2, even if it wouldn't have had the DE's or combat like it has now, I'd personally still be interested bc I hugely enjoyed GW.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

TSW>GW2&TERA

I kinda doubt it. TSW do have the potential of getting a higher playerbase than earlier FunCom games and I like the idea of a Cthulhu styled modern world MMO. TERA and TSW is going straight up against eachothers and anything can happen there.

GW2 on the other hand have a lot more experienced team than the other 2, a hype level that is beyond any MMO since ever and the fact that it is fantsy is also a huge thing, MMO players seems to prefer fantasy.

I can imagine both TERA and TSW having impressing 500K active players but I also think GW2 will have 2 million or so (active that is, number of accounts will be more than the original GWs 3,5 million seperate accounts).

I salute all 3 of those games for trying to do something different from the standard model MMO but I still don´t see TSW or Tera competing against GW2, I don´t even see both of them together having more active players than GW2.

GW2 will be up against Wow, TOR, Titan, Copernicus, Class 4 and possible WoDO. 

TSW will be up against Rift, TERA, EQ Next, PS2, LOTRO and similar games. Successful games but not the ones that are truly huge.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

My hunch is not. I think the combat in GW may well be similar but better in several respects. GW also has animations as cool downs but a precise point in the animation triggers the effect, it also has skill 'blending' so they have customised how one skill blends into another which allows for chains. Also the idea that you can combine skills with other characters (shooting arrows through a wall of flame ignites them for example). Just sounds like (if it all works) it will take things to a level beyond Terra.

I have played neither yet so of course my 'hunch' is simply that....a hunch.

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

First off,when did i say that if i enjoy the game others will,i didn't so we can put that one to bed straight away.

Time will tell..

People do mind if the treadmill is of similar flavors to WoW, which has burnt a large section of the MMO userbase over the course of 7 years. Over such a long period of time, people will begin to recognize said treadmill, and avoid it unless it's being dressed up in such a way that you cannot tell - even over long periods of time. Two or three defining features that still revolve around said treadmill does not mean that success is certain, especially on the western market, which has proved time and again for less tolerance than the east asian audience.

GW2 isn't under threat from any subscription-based game, because they're riding on the coattails of success from GW1's B2P model. Even if it didn't, quote, have dynamic events and "combat", it will still be on peoples' radars just because 1. ANet is a well respected developer and has GW1 in their resume; 2. given the amount of money into it, a triple(?) A MMO is always worth attention. NCSoft wouldn't skimp on marketing either, being their publisher.

e: holy crap formatting in bbcode

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I salute all 3 of those games for trying to do something different from the standard model MMO but I still don´t see TSW or Tera competing against GW2, I don´t even see both of them together having more active players than GW2.

Amen to that. It might be an all time first for me playing more than one MMORPG at once, one can hope.

TSW>GW2&TERA

I kinda doubt it. TSW do have the potential of getting a higher playerbase than earlier FunCom games and I like the idea of a Cthulhu styled modern world MMO. TERA and TSW is going straight up against eachothers and anything can happen there.

GW2 on the other hand have a lot more experienced team than the other 2, a hype level that is beyond any MMO since ever and the fact that it is fantsy is also a huge thing, MMO players seems to prefer fantasy.

I can imagine both TERA and TSW having impressing 500K active players but I also think GW2 will have 2 million or so (active that is, number of accounts will be more than the original GWs 3,5 million seperate accounts).

TSW will be up against Rift, TERA, EQ Next, PS2, LOTRO and similar games. Successful games but not the ones that are truly huge.

Not entierly true, GW2 has an experienced team I bet but from what we know at least portion of BHS worked on NCSoft prior to creating TERA, also a old team isn't necessarily a better team, and hype is just that its not a good way to measure how good a MMORPG is going to be. ; p

Either way I dont think either of those games are going to be stealing much subs from each other as they are somewhat different in many ways.

Indeed.

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

most people will just get both, i personally will play gw2

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

TSW>GW2&TERA

I have no doubt that GW2 will have the largest player base. It is B2P after all. I think community wise, TSW will be much better though. Every kid under the sun will be playing as they don't need a mommy or daddy's credit card number. I agree with one of the posters above me that GW2 is probably a little too over hyped. I have more of a wait and see attitude with GW2. I see the potential for numerous things that sound great on paper or play great on a limited playthrough but might not stand the test of months of playtime. I'll for sure buy it at launch and give it a play through though. I am also not a huge fan of anything NCSoft.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

TSW>GW2&TERA

I have no doubt that GW2 will have the largest player base. It is B2P after all. I think community wise, TSW will be much better though. Every kid under the sun will be playing as they don't need a mommy or daddy's credit card number. I agree with one of the posters above me that GW2 is probably a little too over hyped. I have more of a wait and see attitude with GW2. I see the potential for numerous things that sound great on paper or play great on a limited playthrough but might not stand the test of months of playtime. I'll for sure buy it at launch and give it a play through though. I am also not a huge fan of anything NCSoft.

Okay, I'm seeing this in every post and its bugging the hell out of me, NCSoft isnt working on GW2 its Arenanet, Arenanet is a subsidory of NCSoft, but Arenanet holds all the cards on the GW2 title, please check out the Arenanet website and read up on this company.  Sorry but its one of them niggles that has been eating at me.