Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by heartless

Because you wouldnt defend GW2 if someone was in your board making posts like this:

"Nobody I know is interested in Tera anymore.  My group of friends used to wanted to play it until we found out how shallow the gameplay is.  Whether I'd have liked the game 5 years ago is another matter, but I'm not running anymore damn quests."

"I predict it will do worse than SWTOR.  GW2 has a large fan following, TERA is a stolen product full of cotton candy visuals.

Providing false information, and in the first post not even relating to the topic, just straight out bashing TERA, on the TERA boards. I'm getting defensive because it's getting annoying, in TERA streams I deal with people parading about GW2, on TERA youtube videos I see, on the TERA discussion boards I see it and they haven't played TERA or GW2 usually and are bashing one while loving the other in places featuring content of the one they are bashing. 

Wouldn't it annoy you?

I honestly don't care if people like GW2 or not. The only time I would get involved in "defending" GW2, or any other game for that matter, is if a person was posting an uninformed comment. Then I would attempt to correct the person.

I don't get payed by Enmasse or ArenaNet and I have no stake in the success or failure of these games. The only thing I care about is if the games are fun for me.

I only got this point because I got sick of having to see it everywhere, and I see her comment as an uninformed one. 

She called the game shallow based on just the quests and then said it's just cotton candy visuals and a stolen game to boot. 

Listen, I don't want to take this offtopic but NC Soft did win a lawsuit against Blue Hole in S. Korea. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the whole game was stolen but there is a high possibility that certain things were "borrowed."

As far as everything else she said, it mostly her personal opinion and she is entitled to it. Just like you were entitled to post your personal opinion about GW2 a few posts earlier.

TERA doesn't need you to defend it. That's what the marketing department is for.

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190

Now think about it...What if TERA and every other MMO that came after GW2, implemented some sort of dynamic questing system. Wouldn't that be interesting? I think it would be a great addition.

As far as I am aware they are adding dynamic content to Tera in korea now, do not ask me how deep it is though, but I guess they want to expand the game in this area.

edit:Typo -_-

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by superpata

Now think about it...What if TERA and every other MMO that came after GW2, implemented some sort of dynamic questing system. Wouldn't that be interesting? I think it would be a great addition.

As far as I am aware they are adding dynamic content to Tera in korea now, do not ask me how deep it is though, but I guess they want to expand the game in this area.

I'd imagine a lot of games will, but without the underlying mechanics being rewritten, they won't be all that great. Guild wars 2 is built entirely around dynamic events, which is why they (seem) to work well. I don't hold any hope for 'tacked on' events.

I do think DE's will likely form the basis for new games though, simply because they're inherently co-op and really play to the strengths of MMO's. They just make sense.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by ComfyChair

I'd imagine a lot of games will, but without the underlying mechanics being rewritten, they won't be all that great. Guild wars 2 is built entirely around dynamic events, which is why they (seem) to work well. I don't hold any hope for 'tacked on' events.

I do think DE's will likely form the basis for new games though, simply because they're inherently co-op and really play to the strengths of MMO's. They just make sense.

It makes sense, if you think about it. The whole "co-op" thing that is. If, say, a quest asks you to defend lifestock against wolves, why are you competing again other players in defending the lifestock? You're technically working together with other players to kill those wolves, right? But the way most MMOs are set up, you're technically competing for kills with everyone who is doing the same quest.

The way GW2 is set up is refreshing. Everyone who is participating in the quest/dynamic event is working together to accomplish a common goal.

I guess you are right but it depends on how far they want to go in developing/readjusting. I think it might be something more similar with rift's though.

I have played games in the past with DE, they were just not called like that back then and maybe required a small patch etc, so they were at that point not as "flexible". In the end whatever it is, if it is interesting and fun, people will enjoy it even if it is not the most complex event(s) ever.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003

Like saying the apple will give the orange a run for it's money.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

I guess you are right but it depends on how far they want to go in developing/readjusting. I think it might be something more similar with rift's though.

I have played games in the past with DE, they were just not called like that back then and maybe required a small patch etc, so they were at that point not as "flexible". In the end whatever it is, if it is interesting and fun, people will enjoy it even if it is not the most complex event(s) ever.

Indeed so :) to be honest, what's really needed for accomodate DE's in a game is to allow for all players to get full experience from a kill if they helped out and also get their own loot. It's the two basics which really allow for DE's to occur. The extra underlying mechanics make them more exciting sure, but those two changes are the crux of it all.

I think it's manageable for developers if they're willing.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Played it and no it's not like rifts, rifts are however consequences if you don't do em in which they aren't as static.

Rifts just appear out of no where, DE's are more like mini story based quests that can even change from the time to time.

You literally have to play GW2's DE's to see the obvious differences because once you see and experience them you'd actually laugh at a lot of assumptions about them coming from people who assumed they were like rifts. 

On contrary to ones belief they manage to put [deep] thought into [all] their "gimmicks."

Sheesh I'm running out of popcorn. Oh and I hope I don't sound rude, but just wanted to clear that up and help you out. I'll be enjoying Tera as well, I hope you do to Super, I think Tera will give Aion a run for it's money.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

No. it will not. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Mannish

Guild Wars 2 just does not look good. image

Someone hasn't done a single ounce of research or seen one video apparently... Send me a pm i'll send you some video links so you can learn :)

Originally posted by itgrowls

Someone hasn't done a single ounce of research or seen one video apparently... Send me a pm i'll send you some video links so you can learn :)

Stating it the way you did makes you look arrogant 'if someone doesn't like it they're obviously mistaken'. Can you please represent the guild wars 2 community better in the future :p

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

No. It will not. not in a hundred years.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

i doubt it just because there's no region block afaik. That coupled with WvWvW and a b2p non-subscription base game will put GW2 in a league of its own.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I'm going to L O L when the game doesn't match up to any of your expectations on release. Don't get me wrong.. I hope the game does well. I would love to try it on release with Tera. When i'm bored and want to play good games and interact with people online. But some of you people are setting the bar WAYYY toooo high. I hope all of you have a life outside of games so when it fails you dont do something stupid... and instead go outside and play a real mmo with real meaning and real consequences.... :p

Just my 2 cents..

Originally posted by RizelStar

Played it and no it's not like rifts, rifts are however consequences if you don't do em in which they aren't as static.

Rifts just appear out of no where, DE's are more like mini story based quests that can even change from the time to time.

You literally have to play GW2's DE's to see the obvious differences because once you see and experience them you'd actually laugh at a lot of assumptions about them coming from people who assumed they were like rifts. 

On contrary to ones belief they manage to put [deep] thought into [all] their "gimmicks."

Sheesh I'm running out of popcorn. Oh and I hope I don't sound rude, but just wanted to clear that up and help you out. I'll be enjoying Tera as well, I hope you do to Super, I think Tera will give Aion a run for it's money.

Not sure we are talking the same language, anyway my point is Rift and GW2 are a bit dif when it comes to their events. I still remember the  flame wars of people defending one over the other. I know  how GW2 DE system works, how it differs from other games. I doubt Tera goes with such a complex model, regardless I am loving Tera already for what it is.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

[mod edit] there is not proof that the code or such used in TERA was to be used in L3, however one or a few individuals of TERA was sentenced to a shorter period of jailtime due to use of NCSoft secrets or such. Not even NCSoft claims that the code in Tera is used in L3 just bears resemblance, which is quite different.

[mod edit]

More on topic, how do you define DE really? And i guess its dynamic but to what extent, at some point you are going to run into the same quests and things again or variations of it if they randomly generate them i guess...?

What do we actually know of GW2s dynamic events yet, considering im planning to get the game id like to know.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

TERA-bad will not give anything a run for its money just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I dont care either way because I will be to busy playing GW2 to worry about other MMO's.  Each to their own, If you dont like whats on offer in GW2 then thats your perogative.  Tera wont give GW2 a run for its money because I wont be needing to spend any money to give Tera a run for it, unless I choose to.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

So if somebody does not like Guild Wars 2 that means they have not seen or read anything about it? People like this are whats really wrong with MMOs these days.

I dont care about whats on paper when it comes to mmos. If your game has certain features you should show it in video that way we can see that its actually in game. TERA never tried to hide anything and posted videos of its features from day 1. ArcheAGe is doing the same thing also. I have said time and time again that Guild Wars 2 sounds great on paper but when I see videos I dont see it. I have seen videos but I have not seen them all so if you have any videos to share please post them here.  

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Tera should be better, since its pay to play image

Tera is 23,6 GB on the harddisk, compare that with the free to play Vindictus about 5 GB.

I will play both games and I do agree Tera looks better than GW2, however gw2 looks is more than ok for me.

Originally posted by Arcona

Tera should be better, since its pay to play image

Tera is 23,6 GB on the harddisk, compare that with the free to play Vindictus about 5 GB.

I hope to god you're being sarcastic :p Both those points are the kind of ones you'd have to be extremely deluded to think are valid.

Especially pay to play, that's a remnant of the late 90's when server costs are substantial, now they're a pittance yet people still willingly get fleeced for no reason. No P2P game bar WoW has had more content added than guild wars 1 has had, fact. So that idea goes straight out of the window, past a quizzical poppuri and straight back into whatever orifice it was pulled out of.

EDIT: how perfect! check the video in guys sig below. It talks all about how pathetic the sub model is now and how we should be actively discouraging it.

There are plenty of valid reasons to like TERA, those two are almost offensive in their naievity and do TERA no credit whatsoever :p

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Gotta admit I do give the OP +10 for making the best Tera Vs GW 2 thread lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So if somebody does not like Guild Wars 2 that means they have not seen or read anything about it? People like this are whats really wrong with MMOs these days.

I dont care about whats on paper when it comes to mmos. If your game has certain features you should show it in video that way we can see that its actually in game. TERA never tried to hide anything and posted videos of its features from day 1. ArcheAGe is doing the same thing also. I have said time and time again that Guild Wars 2 sounds great on paper but when I see videos I dont see it. I have seen videos but I have not seen them all so if you have any videos to share please post them here.  

Its ok to dislike GW2, its ok to dislike TERA too and any other MMO that exists. DOn't worry not all of us belong to GW2 cult and tryign to turn you into one of us ;)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by ComfyChair

I hope to god you're being sarcastic :p Both those points are the kind of ones you'd have to be extremely deluded to think are valid.

Especially pay to play, that's a remnant of the late 90's when server costs are substantial, now they're a pittance yet people still willingly get fleeced for no reason. No P2P game bar WoW has had more content added than guild wars 1 has had, fact. So that idea goes straight out of the window, past a quizzical poppuri and straight back into whatever orifice it was pulled out of.

EDIT: how perfect! check the video in guys sig below. It talks all about how pathetic the sub model is now and how we should be actively discouraging it.

That video does have valid points and to be honest i've never been a serious fan of the P2P model because it is abused. A company like Blizzard is a prime example of a company who abuses this feature. But hey, their fanboys want to get milked, why wouldn't they milk them.

You've got $15 a month + initial purchase + they charge you for the expansions, then you also have the option to buy mounts or other things for real money(didn't one just come out for $25?), and finally you've got to pay $25 for a server change, faction change or gender change. Blizzard is just sad.

However I don't think you should always discourage the P2P model. TERA is doing the P2P model correctly, they released about a year ago and since then have had two huge content updates(the second coming this month) and some minor ones. They also have another one planned for sometime this year, and they do not charge you for these content updates, or what are better known as "expansions" in WoWs terms.

Not to mention, the longer the subription method  you choose the less they charge you monthly, to as little as $8.95/month, for a year subscription that will save you $70.