Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That is ok really. The real MMO killer is not hate, it's indifference. When you don't care even to comment, that game is truly in trouble ;)

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Oh Boy, here we go again

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Since GW never ran for the money "and it had a lot of competition too by the date" i doubt that GW2 its going to change that. You just like TERA nothing wrong with that dude.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by sidhaethe

As pretty as it is (and I do respect its action combat as well), TERA hasn't got most of the features that drew me to GW2 as regards quest delivery, alt-friendliness, level scaling and open world shared objectives that I ultimately value more than a target reticule. Now, if TERA had all of these as WELL as action combat, I might just play whichever released first or have to flip a coin. But it doesn't, so I'll just settle on watching the odd video here and there.

It's less about the combat, IMO, and more about what you really value in your MMOs. If having action combat is what you value most, I think the OP's assessment totally rings true.

Yes its Tera has pretty standard dull quest syste, its normal plain but by no means bad. They are reasonable and give good exp award and have quest help if you choice to ask for it.

I don't think that the quest system is objectionable by itself, I just will never choose it over an alternative method of leveling like the dynamic questing I've experienced in GW2 demos thus far.

Alt-friendliness wise well lvling in Tera you can cap in about 1 month if you play decent amount and cap in 2 month if you play casual. Thats pretty alt friendly and good lvling scale for a korean mmorpg. The lvl system is pretty much westernized. But if you want something like WoW where you cap in like 3 days well than i don't see value in the character really.

Not alt friendliness meaning ease or quickness of leveling, I mean alt friendliness meaning, how much content I will be repeating if I roll an alt (ex. 5 starting areas and branching storyline etc. vs starting in the same area and doing the same quests), and how easy it is to play with my husband if we don't synchronize our schedules (we are constantly outleveling each other by turns in other games, or we end up not being able to play because we don't want to outlevel the other. It also sucks to have a friend join the game later and either we are bored PLing him or we tell them "see you in three months when you're max level"). I won't choose a game that doesn't make level scaling a feature over one that does.

As for open world shared objective, not sure if you want or don't want this. But Tera is broken in to areas that guild can taken control, there are BAM's (bigassmonster) basicaly pretty epic boss monster, they are kinda like dungeon bosses but as an elite mob. Also pvp server is open world pvp. So idk if that what your looking for?

No, I mean not having to fight over PvE objectives. I'm tired of having to race people for nodes in the open world and I'm tired of dealing with mob tagging, waiting for mobs to spawn to have to complete quests, standing in line to kill a boss, etc.

Well said on the last part, for me the combat plays over the quest flaws because here is my logic, ok quest is standard yes but hey the combat make it fun to go kill 10 rats, sure quest seem pointless and dull but hey the process is fun. And to me quest is a means to an end, honestly even GW2 chances are your going to cap in about 1-2 month than quest means pretty much nothing because well you don't need to lvl any more. So i mean dull quest sure but what keep me playing is the combat so i can deal with dull quest or just farm BAM and feel like i'm playing monster hunter =D

We're just not looking for the same things in games, and that's cool - like I said, it's about what you value - so I'm sure people will have tons of fun in TERA if it has what they're looking for. It doesn't have the features that matter most for me, though - combat is not nearly enough, cool as the combat is. Oh well, it's a big gaming world this year, plenty for everyone.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

To be honest i haven't seen a single mmorpg receive as much hate as Tera. It seem every single review out there feel the need to only talk about how dull the quest system is and ignore pretty much everything else.

TERA isnt receiving a lot of hate.  Everything Ive seen has mentioned the combat and graphics as being well done.

But when you see a thread with a title as astoundingly ludicrous as this one, people are going to come in and give reality.  And the reality is that TERA has some major things against it, and the combat isnt THAT good to overcome if the rest of the game is mediocre.

And people severely oversetimate the desire for a more action based combat system.  AoC tried to move towards more action based combat and that game sure turned out to be popular.....

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I totally understand, well not abotut the wife part.  I would love to be able to play MMOs with my wife.

Just to make you feel better I'll admit that I bought the CE for FFXIV... Hey it was supposed to good! At least that's what it said on the box...

Ouch! Nah I forgot to mention that one on my list but I knew what to expect when I bought it and there was no sub fee so it was ok. I got it on the cheap and if I didn't like FFXi I wouldn't have bothered with it at all. It was still a disaster last time I was on but I feel I even got my monies worth outta that title and that was one I only bought 1 copy since my bettter half had no interest. Combat looks fun so I will be keeping my eye on the title.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

It's like this..

You play TERA   =  cuz you like and enjoy it!

or

You don't play TERA  =  no one really cares why.

As for TERA, its still always changing and constantly updated... find out for yourself   -  I'll help you.

Here is an older post of plans, though I'm not sure if they were implemented or still in the works: (TERA's future)

HERE

Here is a little more recent update on whats going on in KTERA:

HERE

(Source article is here)

They even have plans for implementing head gear:

HERE

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by RizelStar

Hmmm...by year 2013, a lot of interesting things shold have occured.

Any way Tera will give Aion a run for it's money.

It didn't in Korea, I doubt it will here.

I'm sure it will still have a stable community though, and I'll be playing TERA.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Wait did you seriously just say "why shouldn't it reflect its below average success from Korea in west?"? Seriously? Do you understand mmorpgs at all? The fact that its been pointined Aion rhapes all mmorpg in korea including WoW should have give you the clue that Koreans like very different game play than we do, coz Aion is failing here. Tera lost a lot of its content coz the game was release way to early, i honestly don't know wtf they were thinking but i feel like they were using korea as a beta test or something.

So you are saying exactly what i said earlier? when a game isn't doing too well in its own country..its natural for it to send alarm bells for western players. Aion was a hugesuccess in Asian market and we know how it ended up in west and Tera is no where close to Aion numbers in Asia and yet people are so wide eyed optimistic that Tera is going to beat Aion, Swtor and Rift and even GW2...only because it has different combat? logic fails completely in posts like these.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Im starting to love these comments. do people seriously think that the 2012 battle for the new top MMO will be a one on one fight. there is a TON of games comming out that could easily take it. wake up, if anything this year is gonna be fun.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Kreedz

Originally posted by RizelStar

Hmmm...by year 2013, a lot of interesting things shold have occured.

Any way Tera will give Aion a run for it's money.

It didn't in Korea, I doubt it will here.

I'm sure it will still have a stable community though, and I'll be playing TERA.

Its kind of hard for an unfinished game to topple the most played game in Korea lol.

However, Aion is already near it's end here, atleast as a P2P title.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

So you are saying exactly what i said earlier? when a game isn't doing too well in its own country..its natural for it to send alarm bells for western players. Aion was a hugesuccess in Asian market and we know how it ended up in west and Tera is no where close to Aion numbers in Asia and yet people are so wide eyed optimistic that Tera is going to beat Aion, Swtor and Rift and even GW2...only because it has different combat? logic fails completely in posts like these.

I think maybe 1 or 2 people actually think TERA will compete with GW2, none of us have been saying that.

Also were basing TERAs potential success on combat, political system, guild wars and graphics.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by NexGenNSA26

It's like this..

You play TERA   =  cuz you like and enjoy it!

or

You don't play TERA  =  no one really cares why.

As for TERA, its still always changing and constantly updated... fine out for yourself   -  I'll help you.

Here is an older post of plans, though I'm not sure if they were implemented or still in the works: (TERA's future)

HERE

Here is a little more recent update on whats going on in KTERA:

HERE

(Source article is here)

They even have plans for implementing head gear:

HERE

I really find it hilarious with all users posting in the sections of games they do not plan to play and then become angry if someone touches their lovely perfect game, that stuff is just so amazing...

Also thanks for the links. :>

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

I dont think so, tera cant even compete against aion, rift, and other games that are considered failed mmorpgs, tera imo is a generic asian mmorpg, with a better then average quality in terms of graphics with a different combat system, and different doesnt mean better or that people will like it more then the tab target used by the best and most played mmorpgs.

Imo tera will do worst then aion here in the western (EU and US), even in asia its not in the top 10 mmorpg games.

Are you retarded or are you retarded?  TERA blows both these shitholes out of the water. And it blows SWTOR into the garbage bin. Dont even compare these mindless tab target fails to TERA. Political system alone rapes all those games. Maybe you people just want to play a game where you can afk and still do good. Am glad people like this will not be playing TERA. The less scrubs the better.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by Azmodai

I dont think so, tera cant even compete against aion, rift, and other games that are considered failed mmorpgs, tera imo is a generic asian mmorpg, with a better then average quality in terms of graphics with a different combat system, and different doesnt mean better or that people will like it more then the tab target used by the best and most played mmorpgs.

Imo tera will do worst then aion here in the western (EU and US), even in asia its not in the top 10 mmorpg games.

Are you retarded or are you retarded?  TERA blows both these shitholes out of the water. And it blows SWTOR into the garbage bin. Dont even compare these mindless tab target fails to TERA. Political system alone rapes all those games. Maybe you people just want to play a game where you can afk and still do good. Am glad people like this will not be playing TERA. The less scrubs the better.

With so many MMOs being released this year to the next, its hard to see where each one will stand and succeed.  I find it hard to base a game on bits and pieces of info / public marketing. Until the majority of gamers out there get to test GW2 or any other MMO. I for one play TERA and enjoy what it offers, but at the same time I'm looking forward to GW2, AA, D3 and soo much more. Why compare and say one is better than the other?

From what I've read in some posts SWTOR had the same expectation and high hopes as alot of people do for GW2, but then when everyone actually got there game time in...well it ended up letting alot of people down... Though alot of people still play and enjoy it, so it basically boils down to preference and what you look for in gaming / MMOs. 

I also think calling someone retarded because of the lack of information and insight into a game like TERA, is just as bad if not worse than someone saying " Imo tera will do worst then aion here in the western (EU and US), even in asia its not in the top 10 mmorpg games." A better choice of words and maybe a little reasoning behind why he/she may or maynot be right would be better suited for ignorant and irrational individuals.

I just so happen to have a cousin who was born with such a mental illness, that pretty much leads someone incapable of processing normal thought. So I don't agree with such words, its just me....Anyways - 

For someone to say a game will fail because it failed in another country, like Korea - says alot about how little they really know. Points and statements like these have little if not zero bearing on the success of an MMO, especially in the U.S. (NA).

You either like the game or not, in which then you would move on to the next hyped up title.

-Cheers

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I really don't see anything lasting in TERA to keep my attention. Sure it has a good combat system but i really don't see in TERA what i see in GW2 with DE's and all. I could be wrong and not know enough but what i've seen in TERA really hasn't impressed me.

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

Tera will try to make money in the beginning only able to pay off investors then to Free 2 Play meanwhile

GW2 will make a lot of money off micro transactions and expansion packs for years to come.

Guild Wars 1 has 5-6 million players that are eagerly awaiting Guild Wars 2

There is no way that Tera can compete with GUild Wars sorry....nice thread to discuss

but Guild Wars is another spectrum that unfortunately Tera will be unlikely to enter.

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

Originally posted by NexGenNSA26

Originally posted by Azmodai

With so many MMOs being released this year to the next, its hard to see where each one will stand and succeed.  I find it hard to base a game on bits and pieces of info / public marketing. Until the majority of gamers out there get to test GW2 or any other MMO. I for one play TERA and enjoy what it offers, but at the same time I'm looking forward to GW2, AA, D3 and soo much more. Why compare and say one is better than the other?

From what I've read in some posts SWTOR had the same expectation and high hopes as alot of people do for GW2, but then when everyone actually got there game time in...well it ended up letting alot of people down... Though alot of people still play and enjoy it, so it basically boils down to preference and what you look for in gaming / MMOs. 

I also think calling someone retarded because of the lack of information and insight into a game like TERA, is just as bad if not worse than someone saying " Imo tera will do worst then aion here in the western (EU and US), even in asia its not in the top 10 mmorpg games." A better choice of words and maybe a little reasoning behind why he/she may or maynot be right would be better suited for ignorant and irrational individuals.

I just so happen to have a cousin who was born with such a mental illness, that pretty much leads someone incapable of processing normal thought. So I don't agree with such words, its just me....Anyways - 

For someone to say a game will fail because it failed in another country, like Korea - says alot about how little they really know. Points and statements like these have little if not zero bearing on the success of an MMO, especially in the U.S. (NA).

You either like the game or not, in which then you would move on to the next hyped up title.

-Cheers

I'll tell you what the Hard Core PVPers already quit in SWTOR  that is something that Bioware never envisioned happening but PVPers are a finnicky crowd.  This is one area (among many) that Guild Wars excels in.  GUild Wars 1 had great no EXCELLENT PVP and  by what I hear about this server vs server world oh man that's gonna be awesome.

• artfulpainartfulpain Member UncommonPosts: 8

The irony being GW2 is far from being out(Maybe after Monday we can discuss the finer details of what is better) and the NA/EU verisions have had one beta.

People are so impatient and judge so quickly. Calm down, take a deep breath, and wait for these games to actually release before making such strong opinions.  

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I think what he meant to say in the thread title was:

"This is the next P2P mmo to be released, therefore I am compelled to buy and play because I am curious.."

I am not sure how many people are new to the mmo-hype trains that have been hosted on mmorpg.com for many many years only for complete and utter warfare to engulf the forums once the game is released (see SWTOR) as people rush to defend and attack the game from all angles..

In most cases that I have seen, the praise is oft. short lived and exchanged for long well written speeches about how the game "failed to meet expectations"..

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Tera has no chance of competing with guild wars 2..guild wars has a 5 million plus fanbase.

if you are putting guild wars 2 and tera head to head then guild wars 2 will blow tera away.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Guild Wars 2 just does not look good. image

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Mannish

Looks horrific and great at the same at time so yes I agree it doesn't look good.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Maybe they should, it's obvious you're baiting.

• ZheomZheom Member Posts: 58

ya, it doesnt.