Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will give GW2 run for its money

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

Comments

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

With monthly fee dont think Tera can do anything to GW2.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Well I plan to get both, TERA because I really like it and GW2 because... why not?

• ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80

Trying, being the word :D

Tera has my vote! :)

Think this is an awesome game, and I also think NcSoft should man up and ship out :D

So someone bought some code that someone else sold, who cares?

Not me, since the sold code is not being used :) (by NcSoft)

And what is code anyway :P

cheers :D

Originally posted by Then

Trying, being the word :D

Tera has my vote! :)

Think this is an awesome game, and I also think NcSoft should man up and ship out :D

So someone bought some code that someone else sold, who cares?

Not me, since the sold code is not being used :) (by NcSoft)

And what is code anyway :P

cheers :D

Well not exactly, yet the details are not completely known in this case.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think Tera will take down one of NC softs games but we are talking about AION here, not GW2.

It is actually a pretty fun game but I think GW2 will give games like Titan and Wow a run for the money, Tera is not really playing in the same league.

I can see Tera having surprisingly many subs, like 350 000 - 500 000 in the west and I think it will do pretty good here unless it have some bad end game issues but I don´t see it as a game that will get over a million players.   GW2 will.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have been waiting for GW2 for years. Nothing else touches it.

Nothing released this year or close. ( SWTOR )

But I played TERA and I can see a competitor.

No wonder NC soft are trying to sue Bluehole and stop Tera.

Not sure to be honest. GW2 has a huge following. The other issue is that the boring/grindy quests in TERA may turn some people off. Not to mention the monthly fee, when GW2 does not have one.

TERA has really fun combat and great graphics and animations but besides that the leveling is as generic as an MMO can get. It may have a fun PvP-centric endgame but if getting there will get boring, I'm not sure how many will stay.

Time will tell of course and I may even buy TERA if GW2 doesn't launch around the same time. One thing's for sure: ANet simply can't fail. GW2 is so hyped right now that anything short of perfection will cause a shitstorm of unimaginable proportions.

Edit: Also, I agree with Loke. TERA will probably take a huge bite out of Aion's subscriptions.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

None of my friends across 3 different MMO's are planning on playing TERA.  IMO I think the game will do well to survive here in the west, im thinking sub numbers around the levels of Vindictus.  Havnt played the game nor do I intend to but all the videos, the feedback from gaming blogs say this is a bad game.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

None of my friends across 3 different MMO's are planning on playing TERA.  IMO I think the game will do well to survive here in the west, im thinking sub numbers around the levels of Vindictus.  Havnt played the game nor do I intend to but all the videos, the feedback from gaming blogs say this is a bad game.

I dont think people should care so much of what other thinks of the game and just try it out themselves unless there are som major apparent design flaws.

Also "all" is a very strong word and not true, how do you define gaming blogs? Does totalbiscuit count? He thinks the game is while not perfect at least good.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Based on the CBT feedback on how graphics and combat are just about the outstanding aspects of this game, I'd say it's more of a threat to AION that GW2.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I like TERA, it's a fun game, but no way is this touching GW2 (unless it launches as a wreck, which I can't see).

That games already a juggernaut, it's going to be a mainstream product. TERA will remain niche... it will have a decent stable pop and that's more then fine. A game dosen't need to sell millions to be financially good and a success on it's own terms.

*stops rubbing his crystal ball*

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190

I am thinking of playing the 2 and while I think I will enjoy gw2 I just can't be as hyped as much as most people around here, maybe that would change if/once I get one opportunity to test the game and find out.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Kuro1n

I dont think people should care so much of what other thinks of the game and just try it out themselves unless there are som major apparent design flaws.

Also "all" is a very strong word and not true, how do you define gaming blogs? Does totalbiscuit count? He thinks the game is while not perfect at least good.

With notable exceptions of course but most of the gaming blogs I read talk about it being ok but nothing great. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Well I plan to get both, TERA because I really like it and GW2 because... why not?

This is actually my attitude. Whether GW 2 is great or not, for 50-60 and no subscription fees.... why not.

With notable exceptions of course but most of the gaming blogs I read talk about it being ok but nothing great. 

I have yet to hear your sources. Also keep in mind I wont give a rats ass about a blog where the blogger didnt get past at least level 20 or tried a BAM or a instance of some sort. ;D

Originally posted by Jakard

This is actually my attitude. Whether GW 2 is great or not, for 50-60 and no subscription fees.... why not.

Exactly, for the money invested its a really cheap game for AAA and the time I most likely could spend enjoying the title + I want to see how the pvp balance works out.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I am not even going to go into another of my rants about people over hyping...

just gonna boggle and move along...

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I think Blade n Soul is NC Soft's answer to Tera. GW2 is in its own category. Some sorta tab target barrel roll combat system. Not really console action, not really gcd wow style combat. It may be the perfect fit for some people, and utter crap for others. But I don't think it really has any direct competition.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I think Blade n Soul is NC Soft's answer to Tera. GW2 is in its own category. Some sorta tab target barrel roll combat system. Not really console action, not really gcd wow style combat. It may be the perfect fit for some people, and utter crap for others. But I don't think it really has any direct competition.

Not to be a witch any more than I have been but, if you love the Tera combat system I strongly urge you to go try the free to play Dragon Nest, they do twich combat so amazingly that it kinda makes Tera's attempt look sloppy.

Originally posted by Sorrow

Not to be a witch any more than I have been but, if you love the Tera combat system I strongly urge you to go try the free to play Dragon Nest, they do twich combat so amazingly that it kinda makes Tera's attempt look sloppy.

Ive been thinking about checking that game but it's not a nobrainer which I would pick between that and Tera still.

Is it any fun though, and is it available for us Eurotards?

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Aaw man, people are killing me here, topics like the OP are seriously funny esp considering that people genuinely mean it :)

In all seriousness, I think that the graphics and the combat are indeed aspects that make TERA jump out in those areas above the standard. I do not see it trump a game like Aion though: TERA couldn't trump Aion when it launched in the east even in the first months that it released, Aion stayed firmly number 1.

As for its success in the West, hmm, any other year I'd have given it more consideration, but given the fact that TERA launches in a year in which other strong AAA MMO titles launch as TOR, TSW, GW2 and AA, I'm uncertain about whether it'll have huge sales and subs: after all, there's a limit to the number of MMO's that people are willing and able to play and invest hundreds of hours of gaming in over the course of months. And I'm not even counting a WoW expansion or D3 release in the same period of time.

Competition is a killer this year. Then again, an awesome time for true MMO loving gamers, a lot of viable choices to spend time with :)

Originally posted by Sorrow

Ive been thinking about checking that game but it's not a nobrainer which I would pick between that and Tera still.

Is it any fun though, and is it available for us Eurotards?

Yea they have it in three markets now... just google it up, pretty fun if you just want a fast no brainer hack and slash.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I mean GW2>TERA , nobody argues that.

But TERA manages to bring very traditional EQ2 MMO gameplay and merge it with action combat.

I can see it strongly appealing to people that will find GW2 too innovative and different - and there will be many like that

So by my prediction. TERA will be one of rare MMOs around not to be completely stomped and eliminated by GW2

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I can see it strongly appealing to people that will find GW2 too innovative and different - and there will be many like that

Lob, plenty of folks are very turned off by TERA's game systems though as well.

I would say the percieved skill required for a targetting based game will hurt this game in the mass MMORPG market, which is a shame because it's not hard at all once you make the adjustment.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Sure, a Korean made MMO from a questionable developer, unknown IP, with limited market exposure outside hardcore gaming circles is going to garner more subs in the west than almost any other title previously. Toss in pretty standard quest based leveling mechanics and the fact the title was not that well received in the east I don't understand the wide eyed optimisim being displayed here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

The game is another Korean Grindfest, sure the combat is a little bit different, and it's very well optimised, i can alt tab out and back like it's a web browser. And the graphics are alright. But it's nothing special. It's got the crazy unnecessary item drop system that doesn't make sense, I mean seriously, lucky eggs? Boxes that steal your loot away?  Nah, this is definitely a F2P masquerading as a P2P, any intelligent consumer would NOT pay monthly for another korean clone mmo.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Sure, a Korean made MMO from a questionable developer, unknown IP, with limited market exposure outside hardcore gaming circles is going to garner more subs in the west than almost any other title previously. Toss in pretty standard quest based leveling mechanics and the fact the title was not that well received in the east I don't understand the wide eyed optimisim being displayed here.

Damn, will you stop making so much sense, or at least halt your mindreading talents? I feel like I hear an echo reading your post, when you repeat my own thoughts in such detail >.>