Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash shop info has been changed

15678911»

Comments

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by cali59

I appreciate people are skeptical.  People have been burned by MMOs in the past.  The default position for any MMO player probably should be to distrust everything that comes out of a developer's mouth.  But can we all just please agree to be wary without all the doom and gloom?

Heh, I think my default outlook on all MMOs these days is they will suck. Sadly, it has been true for me for a long time now. I still try games, just no longer preorder or even buy them until I can play a bit.

• SarielleSarielle Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Vynt

I appreciate people are skeptical.  People have been burned by MMOs in the past.  The default position for any MMO player probably should be to distrust everything that comes out of a developer's mouth.  But can we all just please agree to be wary without all the doom and gloom?

Heh, I think my default outlook on all MMOs these days is they will suck. Sadly, it has been true for me for a long time now. I still try games, just no longer preorder or even buy them until I can play a bit.

Which is a very reasonable outlook. Unfortunately, most people posting in this thread aren't nearly so reasonable, lol.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by Sarielle

Originally posted by Vynt

Which is a very reasonable outlook. Unfortunately, most people posting in this thread aren't nearly so reasonable, lol.

I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. You must drink the cool-aid. Only then can you play with the cool kids.

Edit: Oh and the cool-aid is available in the cash shop =)

Archlinux ftw

• GlyalithGlyalith Member UncommonPosts: 35

I can see your point about the cash shop stuff, If a company says it won't give a fair advantage to other players than 9 times out of 10 I can pretty much be assured that will be true.  There are plenty of games out there with cash shops without advantages for players over those who don't use the cash shop and although those games are not streamlined over here as they are over seas in most cases it works out fine for the player base.

Everyone has their own opinion on the subject but I don't think saying people want this game to fail because of that reason or any other for that matter is fair to say.  Guild Wars 2 as most games have a huge following of people who love the game and then a minority of people who dislike the game.  But in the end who cares if you like this game and want to enjoy it while others are bashing it?  Everyone can have an opinion it shouldn't affect how you formulate your own opinion on this game or any other and it definitly shouldn't make you enjoy the game any less.

I never understood this, I look at  Star Wars plenty of people say how bad Bioware is and bash the game because they don't like it.  There are so many post on this very website of why that game is a failure and why it's a success.  The reality is the game is fine it has good elements and bad elements just like every single game that has been out to date.  There hasn't been one game that has been released that 100% of the playerbase is going to love.

Just sit back continue to read get involved in the beta if you can and if what you see and read makes you want to try the game then play it and if you have fun keep playing it if you don't then stop.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Anet knows what they're doing, plain and simple. Their marketing tactics are brilliant.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by Games888

nothing wrong with that how do u expect them to make money when some ppl are just going to play for free without spending a dime?  Woring ppl would rather spend $$$ and buy top gears since they dont have much time to play.

They claim MMO's don't need to sell subscriptions to make a profit.  That means they make most of their money by selling boxes and either DLC or Expansions.  Nobody cares if they just sell cosmetic items in their store.  It's the other items that most F2P MMOs sell that has people worried.

I personally don't like exp pots, healing/buff pots, statted gear to be in RMT stores. 

GW2 has been my #2 most anticipated game besides D3 for over a year.  I'm not ready to bail on the game, but I expect more transparency.  A short, half-assed response from them regarding the stealth change didn't alleviate any fears that the change created.

Originally posted by Avison

The current implementation of gear in guild wars 2 is just like max stat gear in gw1. It's very easy to obtain max stat gear. Getting cool looking stuff is hard to get in game or simple in the store.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by RizelStar

Cali if I'm correct he' never liked the game in the first place, due to things being worded differently, it gave him ammunition, how ever his bullets are just blanks...

So with that being said personally I'd just let him feel as though he correct only to be stand corrected at release, I mean personally it means the same, cristmas clothes...halloween costumes, easter costumes, extra caharacter slots, and so on. 

Just people have to spin something, they must find a fault in this game, and it was well I guess...wording lol.

First what does it matter whether he likes the game or not? Second the wording is vague enough to be interpreted in a number of ways, all anyone is suggesting are the possibilities. I really don't care what was done in GW1, what they did with gw1 doesn't automatically mean they'll do the same with GW2. Bigger game, means more need of revenue, so if they feel that selling items that are equal to what you can earn in game will bring in more revenue, they may go that route, I personally don't even see anything wrong with that.

On top of that for those who do have a problem with this sort of thing,  it's better to speak up about this stuff now and possibly be heard by A-net, than it is to wait for it to actually happen, because no one spoke up.

If they were only going to offer cosmetics, why would they not say we're only offering cosmetics?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The current implementation of gear in guild wars 2 is just like max stat gear in gw1. It's very easy to obtain max stat gear. Getting cool looking stuff is hard to get in game or simple in the store.

But the hardest-to-acquire items in game were never sold in the store. IE, "prestige" armor was never in the store. Costumes for your costume slots were.

Speaking of the GW1 store, of course.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Distopiait's better to speak up about this stuff now and possibly be heard by A-net, than it is to wait for it to actually happen, because no one spoke up.

This is perfectly fine and reasonable. Many, however, are going way beyond mere skepticism or merely expressing "lets make sure to let ANet know, just in case they're thinking of potentially adding P2W items to the cash shop, that we don't want this to happen"-type sentiments and are going strait into "this simple wording change is 100% proof that GW2 has gone completely P2W with epic loot and buff pots and elite skills and stuff! How stupid! I'm never getting this game ever!" It's the latter that is completely unreasonable and stupid.

Originally posted by Sarielle

But the hardest-to-acquire items in game were never sold in the store. IE, "prestige" armor was never in the store. Costumes for your costume slots were.

Speaking of the GW1 store, of course.

I'd just like them to address exactly what will and won't be in the store.  If all max level gear has the same stats, then technically their old definition would include "prestige" items as well.  As the only difference will be cosmetic.  If prestige gear has slightly better stats then the difference is technically more than cosmetic.

The slippery slope is the time versus money aspect and what they will include in the store.  One would assume they would have a cutoff somewhere where anything that takes more than X amount of time and/or coordination is off limits in the store.

I'm approaching this from the point of view of how LOTRO has modified their store items.  I think ANet is a far superior developer, but if sales are hurting anything is possible.  The risk is low though as it's not a subscription based game.

I'm not a hater.  I'll almost certainly buy the game at release.  If they move to a store model I disagree with I'll quit the game and probably boycott the developer and publisher.

I'd just like them to address exactly what will and won't be in the store.  If all max level gear has the same stats, then technically their old definition would include "prestige" items as well.  As the only difference will be cosmetic.  If prestige gear has slightly better stats then the difference is technically more than cosmetic.

Yeah, with all the hullabaloo, I think they need to address it as well. Unfortunately, they probably simply haven't finalized all that yet. I said this before, but the reason I think they changed the wording is because things like character slots and more storage (which WERE sold in the GW1 store) aren't cosmetic, but also don't affect game balance in any way.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Games888

nothing wrong with that how do u expect them to make money when some ppl are just going to play for free without spending a dime?  Woring ppl would rather spend $$$ and buy top gears since they dont have much time to play.

They claim MMO's don't need to sell subscriptions to make a profit.  That means they make most of their money by selling boxes and either DLC or Expansions.  Nobody cares if they just sell cosmetic items in their store.  It's the other items that most F2P MMOs sell that has people worried.

I personally don't like exp pots, healing/buff pots, statted gear to be in RMT stores. 

GW2 has been my #2 most anticipated game besides D3 for over a year.  I'm not ready to bail on the game, but I expect more transparency.  A short, half-assed response from them regarding the stealth change didn't alleviate any fears that the change created.

I think you should stop playing the victim.

This nonsense is something they have dealt with since before GW1 came out. "they are going to make it pay2win after a month", "they cant afford to keep servers up", "it starts with small cosmetic changes, but then its pay to win".

It doesn't matter what they do or what they don't do, because you got an internet full of drama queens who think they are entitled to everything without giving back.

If that is all that will take to "give up on the game" I suggest you abandon all hopes about GW2 right now, because rest assured, the harsh facts of reality that ArenaNet are a company, and like every other company they run on money (quite litteral)!

One thing is for sure : Whatever stuff they are offering - regardless if cosmetic, unique, or ultra powerful items, they will not make it pay 2 win. you will not have to fear getting owned in pvp. WvW is imbalanced by design. Nobody cares about anything, and in competitive pvp, everyone gets pvp-weapons and pvp-armors every time they enter. 

YOU CAN, use the argument however, that people will be able to speed their way to max level and the "end of the game". This is absolutely true. In Guild Wars 1, you could pay real money to unlock all the games skills in skill packs. unlocking these packs takes hundreds of hours, but you can unlock them with a purchase(s) - however, if this is something you consider unfair, then I don't think you get it.

In Guild Wars 2, you can easily cheat the game and power level to lvl 80. ArenaNet has stated in several QA's that they are not worried about power levellers. "If they want to cheat themselves through the journey, go ahead" < thats the power of the sidekick/down kicking system. the end game is the entire game. this is the core philosophy of Guild Wars. it doesn't stop at 20. your not going to dominate with uber weapons in pvp. 

so don't worry about unfair advantage. you can pay your way through it, but it would be like buying cheat codes or some sort of assistence. So don't worry. 

And everyone; Please try to be realistic. Please try to be reasonable. The zealous nature of the Guild Wars 2 fan is borderline fanatic. Please realize that GW2 will have problems, and that ArenaNet will break several promises along the way. priorities will change, problems will arise, things will look different as we arrive closer to launch. 

ArenaNet had several things they couldn't live up to with Guild Wars 1 also. They are a great company, and we all know it, but be realistic. Take a step back, and be optimistic, but also a bit street smart. "I will believe it, when I see it": Support the game, look forward to it. But don't go in, expecting perfection or that they wouldn't like to earn some good cash.

The folks of ArenaNet have worked tiredlessly on this game for many years now. They have other things in their lives besides making a great game. If making their own must-have-vanity-item like Celestial Horse(or whatever) then they will try to do it. ofc they will. Celestial Horse made almost 4 million in revenue alone in a week. That was 25 dollars for a vanity item. a very useful item, but still a vanity item. it didnt break game. Don't get angry at this stuff. if you don't think it's worth it, just keep quiet and don't buy it. 

Such a large team, for so many years, and the cost of all the testing. They need to make a lot of money. 

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Kalfer

I think you should stop playing the victim.

This nonsense is something they have dealt with since before GW1 came out. "they are going to make it pay2win after a month", "they cant afford to keep servers up", "it starts with small cosmetic changes, but then its pay to win".

It doesn't matter what they do or what they don't do, because you got an internet full of drama queens who think they are entitled to everything without giving back.

If that is all that will take to "give up on the game" I suggest you abandon all hopes about GW2 right now, because rest assured, the harsh facts of reality that ArenaNet are a company, and like every other company they run on money (quite litteral)!

One thing is for sure : Whatever stuff they are offering - regardless if cosmetic, unique, or ultra powerful items, they will not make it pay 2 win. you will not have to fear getting owned in pvp. WvW is imbalanced by design. Nobody cares about anything, and in competitive pvp, everyone gets pvp-weapons and pvp-armors every time they enter. 

YOU CAN, use the argument however, that people will be able to speed their way to max level and the "end of the game". This is absolutely true. In Guild Wars 1, you could pay real money to unlock all the games skills in skill packs. unlocking these packs takes hundreds of hours, but you can unlock them with a purchase(s) - however, if this is something you consider unfair, then I don't think you get it.

In Guild Wars 2, you can easily cheat the game and power level to lvl 80. ArenaNet has stated in several QA's that they are not worried about power levellers. "If they want to cheat themselves through the journey, go ahead" < thats the power of the sidekick/down kicking system. the end game is the entire game. this is the core philosophy of Guild Wars. it doesn't stop at 20. your not going to dominate with uber weapons in pvp. 

so don't worry about unfair advantage. you can pay your way through it, but it would be like buying cheat codes or some sort of assistence. So don't worry. 

And everyone; Please try to be realistic. Please try to be reasonable. The zealous nature of the Guild Wars 2 fan is borderline fanatic. Please realize that GW2 will have problems, and that ArenaNet will break several promises along the way. priorities will change, problems will arise, things will look different as we arrive closer to launch. 

ArenaNet had several things they couldn't live up to with Guild Wars 1 also. They are a great company, and we all know it, but be realistic. Take a step back, and be optimistic, but also a bit street smart. "I will believe it, when I see it": Support the game, look forward to it. But don't go in, expecting perfection or that they wouldn't like to earn some good cash.

The folks of ArenaNet have worked tiredlessly on this game for many years now. They have other things in their lives besides making a great game. If making their own must-have-vanity-item like Celestial Horse(or whatever) then they will try to do it. ofc they will. Celestial Horse made almost 4 million in revenue alone in a week. That was 25 dollars for a vanity item. a very useful item, but still a vanity item. it didnt break game. Don't get angry at this stuff. if you don't think it's worth it, just keep quiet and don't buy it. 

Such a large team, for so many years, and the cost of all the testing. They need to make a lot of money. 

Very good write up.

One thing I would like to add. In GW1, you can't buy Elite skills for PVE. You have to capture it by playing it.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Very good write up.

One thing I would like to add. In GW1, you can't buy Elite skills for PVE. You have to capture it by playing it.

Oh yeah, that's true! I forgot.

My mistake:) Actually I think the skill capture system was really cool. I am going to miss that. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

here to hope they add Mounts in the Item shop

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by MMOExposed

This one of the reasons why Blizzard has already proven that P2P is not necessary and the GW2 can thrive with a cash shop.  Blizzard just released a new mount for sell ($25.00) in the item shop and with all the people flying around my server with one you can see that Blizzard does quite well with them.  

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

Even if the CS does sell weapons and armor with stats on it, I personally don't mind.

As long as the stats are about on par or weaker than the weakest set of armor or weapon that you can get at that level. It would just look really bad ass. There is no point in buying a really cool looking weapon if you can't use it in combat unless you RP or something. lol

If they are selling gear that is just as good as gear you can get from dungeons and hard events, then that is bull****.

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

If this ever happened I would have to drop GW2 so fast. Any kind of mounts kill the feeling of immersion in MMOs cause then it becomes how fast can I rush to this spot rather than taking your time and enjoying the beautiful world around you.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah, I'm a strong supporter of ground mounts in GW2, even though I don't think it'll happen, at least not for some time.  I just like the aesthetic quality of riding around the countryside or through a swamp and hearing the clip clop of a mount, even if it only added a small percentage to travel speed.  The downside to making such a big game without adding mounts is that you're going to be walking a lot.  I don't know if I care for that idea.  Fast travel only goes so far.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Vore_Techz

If they are selling gear that is just as good as gear you can get from dungeons and hard events, then that is bull****.

• Dungeon armor isn't stronger than other armor of the same level, it just looks unique.  Armor is assumed to be like it is in GW1, where there are relatively easy to aquire maxed stat armor sets.

• Dungeon armor is given in exchange for tokens which are earned for completing a dungeon run.  Each token will give you one piece of armor.

• Events give karma, not items.  Big bosses in events will drop loot chests, but they will not drop unique armor or weapons.

• Selling weapon and armor skins in the store is fine, especially given the existance of transmutation stones.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Hmm wording change, let's wait and see how the Cash Shop ends up. Sounds like you could have the option to buy end-game gear, I'll wait for more information though :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by eluldor

Hmm wording change, let's wait and see how the Cash Shop ends up. Sounds like you could have the option to buy end-game gear, I'll wait for more information though :)

No it doesn't.