Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Marvel, bad.

RennfieldRennfield Member UncommonPosts: 6

Let me say, I love Marvel comics, I really do.  But when it comes to decisions they've made in the past... weeellll...

I can understand wanting to wait for the right time to release an online game.  I'm not upset that they pulled out of the MMO scene a few years back and left Cryptic to redo the entire game as Champions online, but when I saw the announcement that Marvel was starting a new development for an MMO I was excited, I was a little kid again reading my Spider-Man and Wolverine comics wishing that Logan and Jean would hook up, or just finding out who was behind Peters cloning.  And now my dreams are dashed.  I'm not one to usually complain about a game, but seriously Marvel, pull your head out of your rear and make something besides a console game geared towards your readers.

And before it's mentioned, yes I know that Disney owns Marvel but Marvel is still its own entity which means that Disney cannot tell Marvel "You're only going to make a browser based game for children."  Disney just has the rights to put their name on movies, series, and if they so choose serials.  Maybe even in future Disney games Marvel characters might show up (would be fun to fight along side Iron Man or against Doc Oc in a future Kingdom Hearts game).

Comments

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

I call it Epic Fail.

CoH is a very good superhero game in my opinion. If Marvel had ponied up the cash, and allowed enough developement time, Cryptic would have made an excellent Marvel superhero mmorpg.

The issues Champions online and start trek online have are 100 percent budget and time related.

DC online lacks variety for me, and is a bit lackluster overall.

Marvel could have cleaned house.

Instead we get.....

Of course, if super hero squad sells well, I am the one full of epic fail, not Marvel.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by bill4747

I call it Epic Fail.

CoH is a very good superhero game in my opinion. If Marvel had ponied up the cash, and allowed enough developement time, Cryptic would have made an excellent Marvel superhero mmorpg.

The issues Champions online and start trek online have are 100 percent budget and time related.

Instead we get.....

Of course, if super hero squad sells well, I am the one full of epic fail, not Marvel.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38932/Marvel_Super_Hero_Squad_Online_Registers_1_Million_Players.php

Game is doing extremely well. It's laggy as hell in the evening just from so many people being on at once, and sometimes so overpopulated on the weekends loading into a town crashes my browser. That's probably it's one fault, Super Hero Squad probably ended up more successful than they anticipated and browsers sort of struggle to handle it. It really needs to have its own client. I'm actually looking forward to Marvel Heroes as it already is, because what drew me to Super Hero Squad was that it reminded me of the Marvel Alliance games; I love recruiting and leveling lots of characters. Evidently, so do many others. The one thing I didn't like about the game was how it was geared toward children, but now that there's a "big boy" version on the way, that takes care of that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Originally posted by bill4747

I call it Epic Fail.

Instead we get.....

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38932/Marvel_Super_Hero_Squad_Online_Registers_1_Million_Players.php

Game is doing extremely well. It's laggy as hell in the evening just from so many people being on at once, and sometimes so overpopulated on the weekends loading into a town crashes my browser. That's probably it's one fault, Super Hero Squad probably ended up more successful than they anticipated and browsers sort of struggle to handle it. It really needs to have its own client. I'm actually looking forward to Marvel Heroes as it already is, because what drew me to Super Hero Squad was that it reminded me of the Marvel Alliance games; I love recruiting and leveling lots of characters. Evidently, so do many others. The one thing I didn't like about the game was how it was geared toward children, but now that there's a "big boy" version on the way, that takes care of that.

Good that they are making money. 

Hopefully they will spend some of that money on a real superhero mmorpg where you can make your own character.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Whoa. Sorry.  late to the party. HUGE Marvel fan.  Can someone please update me?

Marvel *IS* making a Marvel Heroes MMO?  Or are we saying it go trashed?

I would be ALL OVER a Marvel Super Heroes MMO (granted it was done well and had decent production values).

I never tried DCUO, but plan to when my new laptop gaming rig comes in next week :-)  Heard its F2P so Im hoping to at least try it out to level 20 or so.

Given that, of all the super hero based games which one do you all think is best/worth investigating? Consider that Im interested in good story and combat mechanics. I need a good reason to vanquish the bad guys :D

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Whoa. Sorry.  late to the party. HUGE Marvel fan.  Can someone please update me?

Marvel *IS* making a Marvel Heroes MMO?  Or are we saying it go trashed?

Same here.  I'm not sure which game the OP is talking about.  There's the Superhero Squad one, which is a browser game.  And there's one in development that's supposed to be an MMO, although my understanding is that they are going to make you play marvel characters.