Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It didn't fail. SW:TOR is a great single player CO:OP game. Makes you wonder if they'll go the same route with ME3.

Seriously, if GW1 was not considered an MMO when it launched, why is SW:TOR using the same mechanics considered an MMO today?

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Now that SWTOR "is obviously a success", i'd like to see it totally revamped to become a good game.  Success is nice, but i'd rather have a good MMO than a successful MMO.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I can't call it a success because I can still barely believe those numbers, any chatbox I go most people have played SW:TOR and then quit, even my real friends have and people still playing complain servers feel empty. I don't know how they could have retained 1.7m of 2m. I've probably almost talked to 300k who dropped it. 

As far as I am aware that 1.7mil number was released during the 'free month' after the release. Not sure if it was even relesed this year.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

OP made a small typo don't jump on him.

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Will it be considered a failure if EA loses 400 million to Activision/Blizzard?

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I would like to see a planet for player housing for each faction.

I would also like differnt avalible outfits or the ability to change/dye the color.

I would also like to see player wedding like in UO/EQ and Rift

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by matraque

What would you like to see added next?

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

No, no no no!

Why do you SWG fans keep begging for open space stuff?

Look, I played SWG, it was fun sure, but this game isn't it, stop trying to make it something its not.  Again, name a movie that had an extended space combat scene, that WASN'T on rails...  Lets see, death star trench run?   VERY rail shooter,  2nd Death star run?  ALSO a rail shooter.  

Star Wars is not about exploring space, or space combat at all really, almost ALL of the action is people fighting people (or aliens)

Star TREK is the droid you are looking for.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Laughing-man

No, no no no!

Why do you SWG fans keep begging for open space stuff?

Look, I played SWG, it was fun sure, but this game isn't it, stop trying to make it something its not.  Again, name a movie that had an extended space combat scene, that WASN'T on rails...  Lets see, death star trench run?   VERY rail shooter,  2nd Death star run?  ALSO a rail shooter.  

Star Wars is not about exploring space, or space combat at all really, almost ALL of the action is people fighting people (or aliens)

Star TREK is the droid you are looking for.

Meh...never played SWG myself but would like to see more done with space. Least add a PvP aspect to it that of course would mean it wasn't on rails.

I might actually bother with it sometimes then. Those space missions are so repetitive it isn't even funny. I have no idea how besides doing it every once in a while someone can enjoy those on any long term basis. They're practically the same couple missions done over and over again.

I don't see what the big deal is about some wanting them to flesh that aspect of the game out more.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Karahandras

I can't call it a success because I can still barely believe those numbers, any chatbox I go most people have played SW:TOR and then quit, even my real friends have and people still playing complain servers feel empty. I don't know how they could have retained 1.7m of 2m. I've probably almost talked to 300k who dropped it. 

As far as I am aware that 1.7mil number was released during the 'free month' after the release. Not sure if it was even relesed this year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

date: Feb first

-Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers

-- Star Wars(R): The Old Republic(TM) has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.

This is after the first month is over, these are "ACTIVE" subscribers.

They said "most" of them are paying.  Which is a majority of their sales were from pre orders, or the first few weeks of their game opening (which they released these sales numbers too) 

We can then LOGCIALLY deduce that YES, MOST of that number has subscribed and is paying.  A Large majority, as when this was released a month and a half had passed since it had launched, meaning most people MUST Have paid to be considered "an active sub"

Now you are aware otherwise.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Caldrin

Title should read.

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success at copying wow

i wish they had used the wow engine then cause at least we wouldnt even be here we would be playing the darn thing in 64 bit

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Title should read.

i wish they had used the wow engine then cause at least we wouldnt even be here we would be playing the darn thing in 64 bit

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3988300405

4.3.2 Introduced 64 bit client.

date of this release?

2/1/2012

Not saying anything... just posting facts.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I wouldn't call it a success, i've talked to more people that disliked it and unsubbed than people who are actually still playing, some real life friends included.

Not to mention the company expected WoW numbers...

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Yamota

SW:TOR is considered a success only 1.5 months after release? image

Of course...remember also like a week after retail release it won and was getting lots of hype for winning Game of the Year! 2011 at other popular online places.

There were some posts here from fans letting us know how it was the game of the year.

edited: 2 weeks out for 1 because although some will say; it hasn't won game of the year 2012 just yet..maybe next week it will.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I wouldn't call it a success, i've talked to more people that disliked it and unsubbed than people who are actually still playing, some real life friends included.

Show one quote from anyone at EA/Bioware where they said they expect to reach WoW's level of subscribers.  I'd like to see it.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Define "success"

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Title should read.

date of this release?

2/1/2012

why do  you think i mention this,64 bit have been out since 2004 and the only game that have it and you can see player having smooth gaming with it(toweliee on twitch for one)and yet almost no game make use of it how lazy can a new company be ,just make browser game gees if you dont want to bother!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think SWTOR would be more successful if both sides crossed paths on every planet - so there would be running battles.

However, somehow I don't think this is going to happen (because companies hate taking criticism and having to change).

So I think SWTOR will sort of bump along and break even. A success - but not a massive one.

Originally posted by orgash

Of course...remember also like a week after retail release it won and was getting lots of hype for winning Game of the Year! 2011 at other popular online places.

There were some posts here from fans letting us know how it was the game of the year.

edited: 2 weeks out for 1 because although some will say; it hasn't won game of the year 2012 just yet..maybe next week it will.

Awww that's cute. He think's "Game of the Year" awards means the game is good.

In other news, PCgamer said Dragon Age 2 was RPG of the decade and Black Ops won the guiness book of world records for best video game ending in history.

Look how great these games are, guys!

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

All that proves is that you personally know more people that didn't like it than those that did.  That doesn't have anything to do with how successful the game is.  

And the only people throwing around the notion that EA/Bioware were expecting WoW numbers are those that are looking for something...anything...to prove it wasn't a success (read:  people that don't want the game to succeed).  Because EA and Bioware never stated they were looking for those kind of numbers.    

The game is a success, and a pretty damn big one by today's MMO standards, thus far.  To remain successful, they admittedly have some work to do to keep the non-raiding type player happy at endgame.  

Title should read.

date of this release?

2/1/2012

why do  you think i mention this,64 bit have been out since 2004 and the only game that have it and you can see player having smooth gaming with it(toweliee on twitch for one)and yet almost no game make use of it how lazy can a new company be ,just make browser game gees if you dont want to bother!

My point is you are so excited for WoW when they've had it for... 13 days?

Today of course being the 14th...

Perhaps if WoW didn't think it was needed then why do you think others do?

Hmm... So we're assuming that they didn't do 64 bit client because they are "lazy"  perhaps its because they've better things to spend their resources on?

64 bit client is such a fluff thing, you are not really experiencing any game play loss due to it not being around, don't believe me?  Look at all the blue posts from WoW explaining for years why they didn't add it in, until again 13 days ago.

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

All that proves is that you personally know more people that didn't like it than those that did.  That doesn't have anything to do with how successful the game is.  

And the only people throwing around the notion that EA/Bioware were expecting WoW numbers are those that are looking for something...anything...to prove it wasn't a success (read:  people that don't want the game to succeed).  Because EA and Bioware never stated they were looking for those kind of numbers.    

The game is a success, and a pretty damn big one by today's MMO standards, thus far.  To remain successful, they admittedly have some work to do to keep the non-raiding type player happy at endgame.  

Ya well, they're off to a steller f***in start, huh?

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by VikingLegion

Originally posted by matraque

What would you like to see added next?

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

lol yea swg was a big  pile of garbage with MUCH better crafting, player cities, politics, 36+ professions you could mix and match.. you could actually sit in a chair!!  10x deeper space system with multiperson ships, space professions, and much more.  a sandbox world that knocks the snot out of this lifeless linear crap that a 5 year old could play, i could go on and  on.

the only thing swtor has going for it especially in regards to vs swg... is graphics and cutscenes.. thats literally it.

I would bet your one of these wow gamers that have never played something like daoc, swg, eq, or planetside and u seriously just dont know what your missing

I just posted not long ago, if Bioware would have taken the core systems from SWG pre-cu and added in the personal story content with cutscenes, you would have had a awesome mmoprg.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

What is it with this trend, i seriously don't get it.

Everyone i ask says "i unsubbed because X" and i read similar things everywhere on the net too...yet, 80% retention, servers standard and high, top sales charts at electronics retailers.

Is it always the same people that post this on (different) forums or what?

Originally posted by AdamTM

Everyone i ask says "i unsubbed because X" and i read similar things everywhere on the net too...yet, 80% retention, servers standard and high, top sales charts at electronics retailers.

I know right?!?! CLEARLY SWTOR has 5.5 million subs

Don't worry about the people asknig for server merges! They're just haters and trolls because they're scared SWTOR is the WOW KILLER!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by AdamTM

You do realise that Bioware's own server metric contradicts the 80% retention rate. Also, if you played from launch (when nearly every server had a full Que time, and now look and see most servers sitting at light-standard, with only a few @ heavy most days, it's pretty clear to see a downward trend.

As for top sales charts, keep in mind that it is the newest game out there atm, they've spent a lot of money marketting it, and there's just no other competing games right now. Not hard to top those charts, especially w/ a star wars IP.