Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success

Comments

• o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by VikingLegion

Originally posted by matraque

What would you like to see added next?

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

lol yea swg was a big  pile of garbage with MUCH better crafting, player cities, politics, 36+ professions you could mix and match.. you could actually sit in a chair!!  10x deeper space system with multiperson ships, space professions, and much more.  a sandbox world that knocks the snot out of this lifeless linear crap that a 5 year old could play, i could go on and  on.

the only thing swtor has going for it especially in regards to vs swg... is graphics and cutscenes.. thats literally it.

I would bet your one of these wow gamers that have never played something like daoc, swg, eq, or planetside and u seriously just dont know what your missing

Viking,

I agree! Well maybe the age of sanbox is dying? I dont think so. Archeage is looking to be a good contender for million of subcribers but, it might fail becouse of its eastern afluence. What we need is a game where you decide your character and your story and not let developers chose your role before you even began playing the game.

Crafting??? I like to think of making a sandwich as an example. When you want sa good sandwich you head out  on the journey to buy quality ingredients, make the perfect combo and enjoy. Today, you drive down to subway, tell them whay you want,pay and your done.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont get me wrong this game doesnt need a lot to be the game people want ,they just need to sacrifice some ram for fps setting gees!,also pvp in ilum got to BE FIXED PERMANENTLY.add a new jno attack  neutral zone that player on both side cant attack and put a penalty for those going back in there .so say you kill 4 people you go hide in neutral zone no issue nobody can attack etc .but if you go in your camp zone then everything is resetted!why would we want this simple so that when you pvp you pvp!also add a balancing system so that equal number are always in there

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

double post bug!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

I personally would like to see them iterate on space.  SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

Even if I don't consider it a success myself due to how badly it was done, I'll consider it successful when they are out of the red as far as how much they've invested in this game. Then even if I don't think it was done well I will have to concede that they have been successful regardless of my opinion. So ask again once I see that they've recovered the total cost for this monster and are in the black, and then I can ramble on about how many things they should or could still do right to fix this game and not make it no better then the rating you give SWG.

They have to be out of the red already. Theres no way they could have spent as much money on this game that is rumored.

1: They didnt make their own in house game engine. They used the hero engine that you or I could go online and download and make a game ourselves. Its a great engine for indie companies to play around with, but not for a major game company to use.

2: V.O'ers are not that costly, unless you have a high profile actor doing them. To my knowlage TOR doesnt. 

3: just look at the game its so streamlined, not a whole lot of steping outside the box going on. With that cuts down on experimental costs.

The cost rumor is the only innovative feature of this MMO. Just throw this title aside for a second. If theres a rumor that a game costs 500 mil. That in itself will raise intrest in a game, even if thats the only thing you know about it. Back to tor theres no way they spent what is rumored on it. Its a bargin bin game, made as cheap as possible to fleice the mmo player base yet again.  

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by o2jpl

lol yea swg was a big  pile of garbage with MUCH better crafting, player cities, politics, 36+ professions you could mix and match.. you could actually sit in a chair!!  10x deeper space system with multiperson ships, space professions, and much more.  a sandbox world that knocks the snot out of this lifeless linear crap that a 5 year old could play, i could go on and  on.

the only thing swtor has going for it especially in regards to vs swg... is graphics and cutscenes.. thats literally it.

I would bet your one of these wow gamers that have never played something like daoc, swg, eq, or planetside and u seriously just dont know what your missing

Viking,

I agree! Well maybe the age of sanbox is dying? I dont think so. Archeage is looking to be a good contender for million of subcribers but, it might fail becouse of its eastern afluence. What we need is a game where you decide your character and your story and not let developers chose your role before you even began playing the game.

Crafting??? I like to think of making a sandwich as an example. When you want sa good sandwich you head out  on the journey to buy quality ingredients, make the perfect combo and enjoy. Today, you drive down to subway, tell them whay you want,pay and your done.

I hope not!  I love sandbox MMO, and agree wish SWTOR was one. 

Why would eastern influence make a game fail?  I am eagerly anticipating the US release of ArcheAge.  Looks to be very close to what Im looking for, I hope the execution is as well as the concept.

• GlyalithGlyalith Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Robsolf

Even if I don't consider it a success myself due to how badly it was done, I'll consider it successful when they are out of the red as far as how much they've invested in this game. Then even if I don't think it was done well I will have to concede that they have been successful regardless of my opinion. So ask again once I see that they've recovered the total cost for this monster and are in the black, and then I can ramble on about how many things they should or could still do right to fix this game and not make it no better then the rating you give SWG.

It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't like the game:

-be polite about it.

-not make a bunch of crap up about how the servers are all dead and guilds have lost 80% of their players.

Thank you!

Back to the OP.  Yes... Space would be good.  Anything that involves your ship being something more than storage space and a rest XP instance.  I like the space missions more than most people, but they get dull and repetitive.

Next... REAL social hubs.  Right now, the game just seems like a collection of battlefronts and war zones.  Take a game like LotRO, where you have the gloom and despair of Dark Delvings, and you have... the Prancing Pony, the Party Tree in Hobbiton, etc..  Those contrasts don't really exist in TOR, IMO.

I've wanted to see good debate about the game for months but honestly between those who just hate it for being Star Wars and those who are so fanatical about liking it just because it is Star Wars, it has been pretty impossible to have talks about the game.

I truly wanted to love the game myself, other wise I'd not have bothered to purchase the $150.00 collectors edition nor two of the $80.00 versions for family members. There is just soo much wrong with this game mechanically speaking, graphically, UI, bug wise etc to shake a stick at. In my opinion their first serious error was purchasing the crappy HeroEngine software from Simutronics.

I'd love to see them get a handle on the bugs, make the worlds more life like, say like LotROs is. Space Combat for me is a write off since they really need to start from the begining and design a whole new space combat system. I don't think their current mechanics support it honestly. I don't think they built the infrastructure to support a true space mmorpg. So anything that they do do, is going to come off as rather bandaid like, if that makes sense. 

Who knows, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised in six months to see this game go a long way from where it is currently. I just know that currently once my 90 days reoccuring sub ends in April, that I'll stop playing. I will keep tabs on it like I do every game that I've ever played, in the hope for improvement to draw me back. I'd been really wanting to invest my free time in a science fiction mmorpg as a good change of pace from fantasy for some years. I love fantasy worlds but a good scfi game world would be nice. 

I really have to agree with all your points here.  Though I am not as upset as some and I never wished the game to fail from the begining like some.

I was never a Star Wars fan until a few weeks ago I haven't even seen any of the movies until a buddy of mine came over and showed me episodes 1 and 2 and I thought those were horrible!

I played in the beta enjoyed how fluid the game was and wanted to give Bioware my money knowing they produce some quality games and that's why I bought the game when it went live.  I was hesistant I didn't get the early start but I did enjoy the way they told the story.  Sure it got old I played 2 characters to 50 and 2 well into the 30's and after seeing the same planets over and over it felt just like any other game at that point.

I had about 4 friends follow me into the game and we had fun but for what the game does right it also has things it does wrong and I know it's Biowares first MMO and I really do hope for the die hard fans out there they fix some of the issues.  The one thing I don't understand is why people are "accepting" the issues the game has you're paying money for the company to keep the game going you need to voice your concerns on issues over and over again.

I played the game for 2 months, but I played it knowing it felt more to me like a multiplayer RPG and not an MMO.  The game isn't terrible by todays standards at all (although some of the bugs are insane like I still don't believe they fixed looting in normal mode operations).  I feel that they will eventually get some of the things that are wrong right but I also feel it may take them to long to fix it and I also feel that some of the things they just won't be able to fix like the space combat system.

To everyone who enjoys the game keep on enjoying it but don't blindly defend the game because you don't like when people have/had issues with it.  Voice your concerns and help make the game better, you pay money to play the game and you should have a better experience with less bugs!

• o2jplo2jpl Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by o2jpl

Viking,

I hope not!  I love sandbox MMO, and agree wish SWTOR was one. 

Why would eastern influence make a game fail?  I am eagerly anticipating the US release of ArcheAge.  Looks to be very close to what Im looking for, I hope the execution is as well as the concept.

[CENTER][URL=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Perhaps I should have been clear. The game itself will not fail however it might fail to reach millions of subcribers. I'm confident (not sure how confident) that there is some player bias towards eastern mmos and extensive crafting scares away nimble minded.

E: in NA

• tbris84tbris84 Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm sorry, but how do you consider it to be a success this soon? I've been waiting for this game to launch for three years and to be completely honest at this point I'm really disapointed. I may be guilty of having expectations that were too high, but the BioWare/LA isn't completely off the hook IMO. 

My first character was a Marauder that has seen everything but HM Soa. It's a fun character to play, when I'm in an Operation, but outside of that there is nothing fun/unique to do. I've since made several alts, 41 Sniper, 32 Operative, 28 Assassin, 21 Powertech and 19 Mercenary. I lost interest in the storyline on my Marauder in the early 40's, the only quests I actually listened to were the class quests. On my Sniper I lost interest before even earning access to my ship. 

IMO, they spent too much time on the voice acting and not enough time on the actual interface, mechanics or items. The UI, from a mechanical standpoint is too clumsy and counterproductive. Only being able to have two panes open at any given time is about as agrivating as it gets in a game. Having one window disapear when you speak with a vendor is frustrating. The Market Place's "required" tabs is ridiculous when I just want to work for one specific thing. I'm happy they atleast fixed autosort in the banks. 

Game mechanics are still broken. On my Marauder, it's always fun hitting Smash, watching the CD reset and the Rage be removed only to be knocked back 1.5 seconds later and have the effect actually happen 20meters from where I pressed it. On my Sniper, I love keeping the high ground in Huttball, only to have Take Cover jump me down to the bottom level and STILL not have LOS on my target. The Take Cover mechanic in theory is a cool idea, but considering I have my own cover item, STOP making my character hop 30m to take cover behind a sandbag. There are dozens of broken, overthought(or under-thought) mechanics that need to be fixed. 

Too many load screens. I understand the idea behind having to get on an elevator to get to your ship at a city, but having to get on an elevator, run down a corridor, get in another elevator, run 50m to your ship only to have yet another load screen is ridiculous. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with the load times. I just hope they fix the memory leaks.

The only reason I'm still playing is because I'm sick and tired of WoW and I paid for 6 months. At the rate they're going with bug and mechanics fixes, 6 months isn't enough time for them to keep my subscription money coming. 

I'm already looking forward to Titan and GW2 next.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I wouldn't call SWTOR an obvious success. It's initially a success in that it sold a lot of copies, but the success of an MMO depends entirely on whether there is retention, and since SWTOR has only been out for a little over a month, it's too soon to call it a success. From my own personal view, the servers are a lot less active on key play nights (Friday and Saturday nights, weekend days), with more than 75% hovering around Standard pop during those times. It's a far cry from the Heavy a nd Full I've seen from the first two weeks. The "new" servers? Never saw them above Light. I suspect SWTOR will drop to ~200k active subs come month 3 and never get any higher than that. Successful for most MMOs, sure, but not one that cost $200 million and needing 1 million active subs for a couple of years to break even.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I can't call it a success because I can still barely believe those numbers, any chatbox I go most people have played SW:TOR and then quit, even my real friends have and people still playing complain servers feel empty. I don't know how they could have retained 1.7m of 2m. I've probably almost talked to 300k who dropped it. 

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by ragz45

Go play vanguard and see just how good crafting can actually be.  Just because most mmo's fail to make crafting interesting, doesn't mean they all do.

(crafting in SWG was also great, but he can't exactly go try that out)

Some people also really didn't like the Vanguard crafting... It was too complex for some.

eqnext.wikia.com

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I don't really think you can label an MMORPG as an "obvious success" until it passes the test of time.  SWTOR was clearly intended to bring in subscriber revenue for a longish time period.  If it wasn't, it would have been easier to just make a single player game.

So even if the game makes back its investment...I don't think you can really call it a success until it succeeds in its original intent of bringing in long-term sub revenue.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by montin

You clearly never played SWG when it was released. It was a much better game than SWTOR which quite frankly I found to be boring and quit playing before my first month was up. Which is a first for me as I like to get my monies worth from a game even if I'm not overly enjoying it.

Anyway; I hope SWTOR does well and I wish the players all the fun they can muster in what is basically a single player game. As for me, I'll go back to playing a real mmorpg (Rift). And maybe in a couple of years I'll return to SWTOR like I have just done to the f2p STO and find it actually enjoyable as I'm now so finding STO.

I beta tested SWG.  The game released broken with absolutly nothing to do.

eqnext.wikia.com

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Title should read.

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success at copying wow

Of the 12 friends I started playing SWTOR with only 3 of us still play and 2 of the 3 only PVP. 

Originally posted by Caldrin

Title should read.

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success at copying wow

Don't insult WoW like that. The only thing SWTOR and WoW have in common are keybinds. SWTOR is still too broken to compare it to a well polished game like WoW. 

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

An MMO's success is determined by longterm retention, not initial box sales within the first months of launch. Sorry.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

SW:TOR is considered a success only 1.5 months after release? image

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

SWG was a big pile of garbage, but space was really fun.

SWG might have been a big pile of garbage, but it was one thing that SWTOR can never be.

It was actually a MMORPG

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Yamota

SW:TOR is considered a success only 1.5 months after release? image

I was just wondering that, especially since i seriously doubt that they've made anywhere near their development costs back yet.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by lalartu

more reason to explore. there are so many areas that just have mobs, but no reasons to be there. I think they should add various points of interest/special quests/cool things to find except for holocrons

also, XP decrease would be nice. they should cut it by 20% at least so that there's a reason to stay on a planet longer

If you are finding the planets so unfun you do not stay on them longer,  even with bonus quests added,  why in gods name do you want to make everyone suffer across the board.

Swtor already suffers from up and down questing quality.  Making people drag through the downparts longer just to keep them on planets is a very stupid idea.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Well, I never call a MMO a success until the first few months. And no, I'm not one of these fanatic haters since I am playing the game and actually still enjoying myself. But I always wait to see how the developers approach adding content before I make a judgment on a game. When it comes to the launch I need to just find myself enjoying the base foundation of the game which at this time is happening.

Honestly, most of what I want to see added they already have on deck to get done. I'm looking forward to the guild ships. The UI definitely needs to be worked upon and that annoying auction as well. I sometimes won't even bother selling things because it is such a pain to deal with. They already said new races will come as there is one coming with the expanded Legacy system.

Other than the plans coming I would like to see the world truly come to life. More creature noises, npc's that don't look like mannequin's and some feel of the world moving around me. That would do a lot for immerision. Space needs to evolve as well. Maybe the guild ships will be one part of that but our personal ships need a step forward as well. Maybe a choice to decorate it *shrugs* Many seem to want that. I don't think I care one way or another. But I would like to see more in regards to combat or maybe even seeing my crew not being statues on my ship as well.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I can't call it a success because I can still barely believe those numbers, any chatbox I go most people have played SW:TOR and then quit, even my real friends have and people still playing complain servers feel empty. I don't know how they could have retained 1.7m of 2m. I've probably almost talked to 300k who dropped it. 

at lowpoints i see about 90 people in fleet,  that jumps up to 160+ at high points.  I am not seeing these empty servers and I am playing at some of the slowest parts of the day.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

You've lost any chance to be taken seriously. Not only did you say SWTOR was a success. Secondhandedly like theres no question about. (That's laughable by itself) but then you go and call SWG garbage.

LoL..

{mod edit}

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

If it's too early to call it a success, how is it not too early to say it failed?

eqnext.wikia.com