Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR is obviously a success

15678911»

Comments

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I was just looking at server status only about 4 servers heavy rest standard and low US and its saturday 2:30 PM for me. Did they increase player cap on servers?

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by sammyeli

I was just looking at server status only about 4 servers heavy rest standard and low US and its saturday 2:30 PM for me. Did they increase player cap on servers?

Can't see why they'd increase the cap again. They're not filling them as it is.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by therginslurg

Originally posted by matraque

25 pages... All i asked was what would you like added to the game and i probably got 5 legit answers.... :(

just a heads up on the success you are asking about, for your reading pleasure

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115365-EA-Share-Price-Slides-Over-Old-Republic-Concerns

No, no, no!

You don't understand! The masses want their railroaded experience where they all can feel like HEROES! They all just want to be in the MOVIES! That's why they play video games! Because they want to be just like MOVIE STARS! You don't understand! They're all just sheep who want to feel like jedis! They don't want to make meaningful decisions, they just want an illusion of it! If we give them too much freedom, they won't know what to do with it! It'll scare them off! We'll make the decisions for them, that's what they know and like! We'll even make shitloads of scripted scenes they can imagine they're participating in, you know like being in a MOVIE! With the STARS!  What? Minecraft? Skyrim? What millions of copies? Lies! These are all flukes, for nerds!  No, no! You don't understand! They are all sheep!!!!!

/commercial break

No, really. I'm fine now. I've calmed down. Now listen to me. I know that this last game had a bit lackluster commercial success, just like all the others in the past 8 years or so. But listen to me. I realized what the problem is. It wasn't movie-like enough. Instead of measly 200 mil we should sink at least 500 mil on the next big mmorpg, and this time we hire REAL STARS to play the roles of the players. No more half-assed solutions, "voice overs" like we're doing some christmass cartoon. No, real STARS - on screen. Sorry, I meant PC monitor. And there's been too much choice in the gameplay. We cannot rely on those uncouth consumers on what choice to make at each story juncture to provide for an optimal immersive story experience. We should whitt away all interactivity (such a messy word) from the game except the combat itself. And get rid of that space bar where the ungrateful unwashed skip this masterful content we have provided for them at great expense. It's going to be a hit, I tell you.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

25 pages... All i asked was what would you like added to the game and i probably got 5 legit answers.... :(

It may be all you asked... but it certainly wasn't all you said.  You brought this level of response on yourself...   knowingly I think, don't act all innocent.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

People actually claim they lowered the standards to meet certain markers, but I can't say one way or the other if its true.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

perhaps the 2nd month has just passed for most.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I would add more social tools...

• Zone events to bring players together while questing.

• Some sort of guild hall that we could browse to help leaders into recruiting new members and newcomers into finding a new guild.

• More options in the LFG tool they have to make it easier to find groups without having to sit for hours in chat.

• Enhanced Galactic Market to help the economy thrive...
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Unless you really are a forum virgin..... this thread was obvious troll bait.

if you were a forum virgin, and thought that coming in here proclaiming something "obviously" a success when there is a heated debate over that, and didn't think people would respond in ways you didn't intend to discuss, well, congrats on popping your forum cherry.  ;)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I cannot believe that if you were after a raesoned debate you would have phrased your question in such a trollish way, especially for someone who has over 1000 posts, you know the score.
    Originally posted by Amphysvena

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Deeeznuts

[Mod Edit]

LOL, dead with over 1 and a half millions subs.  That's rich.  So if I provide a link tonight around prime time for US servers when most people play, and it shows heavy population on most of the servers (which btw, means nothing either as it's based on whatever server capacity they've set the servers to), then you'll recant?  

Because every evening, when people get home from work, the majority of servers are heavy.  Now, as I said, that info is useless since it is only based on pre-set server capacity, but hey...if the haters can use useless info to try and prove a point, so can I, right?  

Majority heavy? lol You sound like a rabid fanboy. As of 9pm est, 15 servers are heavy, one is very heavy and the rest are normal or light. Im no mathmatician but 16 servers out of 110+ isnt the majority.

But the target demographic is in bed by 9pm. You should check about 6pm after the homework is done and before dad gets home for dinner.
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by RefMinor

[Mod Edit]

LOL, dead with over 1 and a half millions subs.  That's rich.  So if I provide a link tonight around prime time for US servers when most people play, and it shows heavy population on most of the servers (which btw, means nothing either as it's based on whatever server capacity they've set the servers to), then you'll recant?  

Because every evening, when people get home from work, the majority of servers are heavy.  Now, as I said, that info is useless since it is only based on pre-set server capacity, but hey...if the haters can use useless info to try and prove a point, so can I, right?  

Majority heavy? lol You sound like a rabid fanboy. As of 9pm est, 15 servers are heavy, one is very heavy and the rest are normal or light. Im no mathmatician but 16 servers out of 110+ isnt the majority.

But the target demographic is in bed by 9pm. You should check about 6pm after the homework is done and before dad gets home for dinner.

You all need to listen to this man here, he's a grown up, he's a real man, not like all you kids playing tor. Tbh if you aren't playing the same game as this god among men, chances are you are either pre-pubescent, living in a basement at your mums, have a very small penis.... did I miss any my mature prophet?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mrw0lf

[Mod Edit]

You all need to listen to this man here, he's a grown up, he's a real man, not like all you kids playing tor. Tbh if you aren't playing the same game as this god among men, chances are you are either pre-pubescent, living in a basement at your mums, have a very small penis.... did I miss any my mature prophet?

No, but you added a few from your own psyche
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by mrw0lf

[Mod Edit]

No, but you added a few from your own psyche

See!!! Oh man your my hero, a role model for the mature crowd. If you want to be like this man don't play tor

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

stating server loads at peak / non-peak is all well and good but it means little if you don't know what the exact population cap is for each server.

My guess is that one server can only handle 5k max.  But only BW knows for sure.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

why dont you SWG guys go and create swg forum and talk your swg shite in there? 

on the topic successfull like some noted there if server max is 5k players top.

easy to make servers look medi full allthetime.

success to fans non success to players who dont give a ***** about the saga.

it is just another hold hand singple player mmo to add in junk box period.

• TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46

LOL a success ... why ? because of the Main Single Player [boring] Story ?? Or the lack to get people to play together "longer" then the 1 or 2 Missions ?!

The only Success i see in StarWars is that i am completely cured of the, and now pls listen, really really shitty and f**king boring Quests. Even if they talk with a voice ... i dont give a shit. Endcontent is which differs the MMORPGS from each other and there is nothing beside ideas, lies and EA / Bioware Crap .... I liked Bioware, but these people are not working there anymore. And the whole community buy all the shit because of the "Firm Name" .... open your eyes and see that you play a SinglePlayer Game with Monthly Costs and a "we dont know anything about PVP but you get more Single Quests..."

My Idea EA / Bioware .... if i play only the Single Player Missions, do i need still to pay the monthly fee ?

And for all the Haters of SWTOR who see a new King appear with the Name of TERA ...... PLS !!!! reactivate your WoW-Accounts or play Diablo Shit 3 or whatever ....

TERA needs Poeple to "PLAY TOGETHER" ..... something you all forgot why we started such games the first way .... "Hell yeah, i payed 12$, so i can do what i want" ..... yes you can, but pls stay in the game you actually playing .... if i found some of you guys on my server, you will unsubscribe faster then you can say "Single Player Missions rock....."  ;)

To make it all clear in a small sentence .... the new GAMES didnt get boring or bad ... its the player who sucks the most atm !! So pls dont scream "more content" when you were the playing idiot and destroyed the game yourself, because you tried to reach something when you forgot to sleep and leveled all day, just to be first of "what" ???

Think about it ;) its the players who suck and no game can compensate that :P

Greetings

Therawroy (<- German, so excuse some wrong words in the letter above!)

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Now that SWTOR is obviously a failure, this thread needs to be closed for good.

Off-topic: does anybody remember the days when the hype train was going full speed and simply thinking of mentioning EA Louse summoned a stampedo rabid fanboys in your general direction? Now when cinders are turning to ashes, it's time for he-told-you-so. He said that the best thing about SWTOR was voiceover and the rest of the game was a joke and he was right.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• HarmTouchHarmTouch Member Posts: 28

Hi.here are my opinions on star wars the old republic.they are not intended to offend anyone or to troll/flame.These are my genuine opinions.I waited almost a decade for this games release.

I liked the kotors alot.I like Swtor for what it is.pretty much kotor turned into a linear mmo.On that note it is very un-polished and it is still a very lack luster / easy game.Within ~1-1.5 month(s) I had lvl'd to endgame and cleared all of the content on all difficulty modes. All of this with a guild I threw together on the fly while lvling from ~40-50.

I was really looking foward to something much harder (atleast on NMM).This wasn't the case.We cleared EV and KP normal mode our first night of ops.Though at first soa gave us a bit of trouble.But nothing a few pulls didn't iron out.I never seen a normal mode ops again... went from that to clearing the hardmode versions within the next 2 ops nights.Cleared both once more for a total of only 2 times..countem..two before going onto NMM.

Going into nmm the very next week there were no new mechanics.Tighter enrage timers and more hitpoints.We were expecting atleast the introduction of a cure/cleanse mechanic or some new mechanics of some kind.There were none.We worked on EV all the way up to soa.Stopped.Went to KP..full clear lol.Went back to soa (who did give us a small headache once again) and downed her.

To say the least this frustrated me and a number of my newfound guildies.Also i'd like to bring to light, something silly. The bonus boss in Kaon flashpoint (hm) is harder than 70% of the ops encounters LOL. The only mobs we came up with that were harder, was soa,bonethrasher and mabey the 2nd to last robot boss in KP ,wich even the robot was trivial by the time we had gotten to the hardmode version.

Here is a list of problems with the game, inwich any game should have worked out by release (or even by beta phase lol).

*Swtor is ialpha phase quality!Seriously, don't be in denial about this. Soon i hope it will become beta quality.

*Can we get a fully functioning galactic trade network?

*The loot tables could have been itemized better by a 5 year old. (if you havent went through all fps and operations then dont comment please).The loot itemization just goes to show they dont give a crap and that they just threw it together.The people who have seen the content knows exactly what i mean.Its not just little things either... Seeing as how long this game has been in developement you'd think the itemization wouldnt be atleast beta worthy.

*The game engine is very poorly coded.I mean very poorly, not a little bit.

*I want the advertised textures seen in the ingame footage vids by BW... the textures on player models especially look like dog puke.This wasnt a game breaker, as i dont soley judge on graphics...

*Lack luster boss mechanics.At the very least..Where are the cure/cleanse mechanics at?!

*Clunky combat.Delayed animations.

*The UI... do I really need to say anymore about the ui??...its very bad.

*Customer service... make a ticket the next time something screwsup..and see what transpires...this is terrible.

If they hadn't pushed this game out by xmas for absurd sales figures then we may have seen a polished game at release.The stories are even linear, so there's not even any motivation to roll alts.. atleast for me there was no motivation.At this stage..if i wanted good vast SW stories id read a book and skip all of the combat and lvling in swtor.

Now I know you think im hating on the game or w/e.I really did want to like it.I wanted it to be as deep as the baldurs gate series with starwars gameplay.far from that...

regards,

david

• KlizziKlizzi Member Posts: 110

Standard MMO launch. First month is always full of subs regardless of MMO. Second month it retains those subs because people either A. hope it'll get better B. were busy doing something else and haven't played enough or C. Forgot to unsub before it renewed. Third month the game flops, though SWTOR won't flop for a while and it'll certainly have a chance at life if the development team pulls their heads out of their asses.

The game is a wash. It's not bad for the casual player looking to play a few hours a day couple of times per week, but it's not a game that anyone can play 5-7 days a week for 6-8 hours a day and enjoy. The content is too easy and a lot of it is buggy. The loot is generic and optimized poorly for classes. The PvP is boring and dull, expertise is a broken stat. I could go on and on about why I unsubbed, but the truth is that SWTOR is a great casual game. Not only will the casual audience continue to play it, but so will the fanboys. With those two audiences, they should have enough income per month to sustain the game and develop additional features.

If Bioware plays their cards right they could potentially address all of the games current problems within 3-4 months and pull in a large audience, including the hardcore players. It's certainly not a success, but it won't fail either. Not at the moment anyway.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Originally posted by Klizzi

Standard MMO launch. First month is always full of subs regardless of MMO. Second month it retains those subs because people either A. hope it'll get better B. were busy doing something else and haven't played enough or C. Forgot to unsub before it renewed. Third month the game flops, though SWTOR won't flop for a while and it'll certainly have a chance at life if the development team pulls their heads out of their asses.

The game is a wash. It's not bad for the casual player looking to play a few hours a day couple of times per week, but it's not a game that anyone can play 5-7 days a week for 6-8 hours a day and enjoy. The content is too easy and a lot of it is buggy. The loot is generic and optimized poorly for classes. The PvP is boring and dull, expertise is a broken stat. I could go on and on about why I unsubbed, but the truth is that SWTOR is a great casual game. Not only will the casual audience continue to play it, but so will the fanboys. With those two audiences, they should have enough income per month to sustain the game and develop additional features.

If Bioware plays their cards right they could potentially address all of the games current problems within 3-4 months and pull in a large audience, including the hardcore players. It's certainly not a success, but it won't fail either. Not at the moment anyway.

Well said

This why the game should have been B2P from the start.

Instead misleading lot of people, when its clear the game is on the way to F2P very soon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by therginslurg

just a heads up on the success you are asking about, for your reading pleasure

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115365-EA-Share-Price-Slides-Over-Old-Republic-Concerns

No, no, no!

You don't understand! The masses want their railroaded experience where they all can feel like HEROES! They all just want to be in the MOVIES! That's why they play video games! Because they want to be just like MOVIE STARS! You don't understand! They're all just sheep who want to feel like jedis! They don't want to make meaningful decisions, they just want an illusion of it! If we give them too much freedom, they won't know what to do with it! It'll scare them off! We'll make the decisions for them, that's what they know and like! We'll even make shitloads of scripted scenes they can imagine they're participating in, you know like being in a MOVIE! With the STARS!  What? Minecraft? Skyrim? What millions of copies? Lies! These are all flukes, for nerds!  No, no! You don't understand! They are all sheep!!!!!

/commercial break

No, really. I'm fine now. I've calmed down. Now listen to me. I know that this last game had a bit lackluster commercial success, just like all the others in the past 8 years or so. But listen to me. I realized what the problem is. It wasn't movie-like enough. Instead of measly 200 mil we should sink at least 500 mil on the next big mmorpg, and this time we hire REAL STARS to play the roles of the players. No more half-assed solutions, "voice overs" like we're doing some christmass cartoon. No, real STARS - on screen. Sorry, I meant PC monitor. And there's been too much choice in the gameplay. We cannot rely on those uncouth consumers on what choice to make at each story juncture to provide for an optimal immersive story experience. We should whitt away all interactivity (such a messy word) from the game except the combat itself. And get rid of that space bar where the ungrateful unwashed skip this masterful content we have provided for them at great expense. It's going to be a hit, I tell you.

LOL!

Good one

• HarmTouchHarmTouch Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Klizzi

Not only will the casual audience continue to play it, but so will the fanboys. With those two audiences, they should have enough income per month to sustain the game and develop additional features.

Yes.The casuals will stick around.The BW fanboys will too.But the biggest audience that is BW bread and butter is the starwars audience.Especially the ones who never dabbled in mmos, but played soley because they are SW fanatics.LOL, if it's their first MMO and they are big SW fans, then nodoubt those will stay..s they will think the game is a god among games...

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by TruplayaUB
    Think about it ;) its the players who suck and no game can compensate that :P

Not true. Any themepark game gives you limited choices about what you can actually do. Say, if you like to explore, there's only so much terrain in the game world. When it comes to more "meaningful" activities, there's even less choice. Zones are level-based and so are dungeons. Endgame content has gear checks. Boss fights are scripted events that have a limited number of viable solutions.

PvP is less limited but even there you can't escape the power of math. If PvP is gear based, those who have the best gear always (statistically) prey on the weak and no amount of skill can change this. Instanced PvP maps can have many possible strategies but most of them are too complex (or not straightforward enough) for a pug group, so you won't see anything unusual happening unless it's a premade vs. premade. Finally, world PvP almost always degrades to either ganking or zerg depending on how many people participate. (I remember some great ~5v5 fights in WAR but even there it was mostly just zerg).

WoW Arena is pretty much the pinnacle of MMO PvP and most games don't even have anything like Arena.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46

Its not even a themepark mmo .... because in a themepark, you never hear Mickey Mouse or Dany der Weissigelersatzhase talk .... so you are still left with some imagination.

In StarWars you get the complete brutal package of unhidden truth .... Hard and Clear commanding voices from the NPCs, which will massage your Jagon if you do their biddings.

I am one of this players who ~never~ reads the Quest Storys or other lame stuff. Run to NPC, click Accept and search for the circle on the map :P and do Stuff to pretend that the Game has a deeper Story because i killed 2000 Worms ... to reach a level, where i can kill the Worms faster :P

So if you ask me what the "deep story" of SWTOR is, i just can tell you that "Darth Vader" wants to move his stuff for living to another starcruiser, because his Mom is shouting all the time that he should get a real job, instead of dreaming having massaging jagon nights with an ewok to create the first hobbit in space .... and maybe the DeathStar .... or whatever :-P

I even think i made some Missions on the USS-Enterprise ... and helped Sheppard to find his sheeps to prepare for Batlle "Boring and his Cutscenes" called a game :P ... who knows ... if thats the reason (the story in swtor) for the 75% to stay, then listen to my idea ;)

Go and watch a Movie .... mostly! better Stories / Effects / No Loot /  .... and maybe you find a nice girl which  will lessing out with you later ..,. if you are a sweet girl like me :P

So lets get all together and pull  the middlefinger  to EA / Bioware and give them 1 year to make a "Real MMO" in the WING COMMANDER Universe !!! And if you dont have middlefingers, then why the hell you wanna play with a Pad ?? or even the Wii-Mote ?