Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... I like PvP...

13»

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I bought the game. I find PvP quite fun. However I have some cons.

-Engine is uber shitty. Runs like garbage on my machine.

-Hidden grind in conversations. I played for 24 hours and are level 19. Of course, theres only 50 levels. My biggest problem, is it feels like, when you hit 50, you either unsub or complete the game with a new class?

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This is an interesting video about lvl 50 group pvp in swotor in one of the 3 battlegounds. The player is an operative and he comments really good about some flaws about his class, neverless it shows what you can expect playing this game and how group pvp looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpsnRu1azo

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

... And yeah I know that you have to do the main game in PvE mainly first, which is fine by me. I loved Warhammer Online PvP, and Im bored to death with WoW's PvP. Is it worth playing SW:TOR for the PvP part of the game?

Psst! Mike. Mike!

Over here. Shh... quietly now... http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-ferguson-on-guild-wars-2-world-vs-world

I was never here, got it? Shh...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Absolutely not worth it. Unless you reall like lightsabers that badly. In which case,.... still probably not.

However, there's also the issue that there really aren't that many other options available atm for MMOs, so you'd either have to wait, play F2P games, or take a break from MMOs all together for a while.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by spizz

This is an interesting video about lvl 50 group pvp in swotor in one of the 3 battlegounds. The player is an operative and he comments really good about some flaws about his class, neverless it shows what you can expect playing this game and how group pvp looks like.

Love how he is complaining about damage he does when he can still  take down a heavy armored well geared trooper in a couple seconds.  He does actually have some CCs and interupts he showed himself using them. I'm on that same server and have run into him a few times, he knows what he's doing but he is making complaints that I find not warranted.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Love how he is complaining about damage he does when he can still  take down a heavy armored well geared trooper in a couple seconds.  He does actually have some CCs and interupts he showed himself using them. I'm on that same server and have run into him a few times, he knows what he's doing but he is making complaints that I find not warranted.

If you're talking about the Commando he was going after you have to bear in mind that Commando/Merc don 't have the tank stance which makes Heavy armour have proper heavy armour values, without that stance it's really not much better than medium. Vanguards and Juggernauts for example get 60% more armour from the heavy type than they do. Not that it matters much considering the big hitters from an Operative aren't mitigated by it anyway image

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Kabaal

If you're talking about the Commando he was going after you have to bear in mind that Commando/Merc don 't have the tank stance which makes Heavy armour have proper heavy armour values, without that stance it's really not much better than medium. Vanguards and Juggernauts for example get 60% more armour from the heavy type than they do. Not that it matters much considering the big hitters from an Operative aren't mitigated by it anyway image

Right, I know it isnt as good as a true tank spec like the vanguards and jug that you mention. I'm just pointing out that it is heavier armor. Also that he repeatly had no issues taking that commando out anytime he wanted. Even though the commando knocked him away. Basically he apparently wants his operative to be as OP as older style rogues in WoW once were with stun lock and burst dps.  I know I've found operatives and sith inquisitors to be a total nightmare to deal with, with my trooper commando.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by toodlepip123

People have their own opinions about TOR pvp. It's pretty decent, but theres no reason to do it right now. If you want to seriously try out TOR PvP, it would make more sense to wait for the 1.2 patch next month, when they add rated warzones and new ones.

The people who say not to try it are the same ones that complain about TOR in general, mainly because it'snothing like wow's broken system.

You're right. SWTOR has it's very own broken system. I've done SWTOR PvP and all it boils down to is a cooldown/playing the UI-fest. It's actually worse than WoW, imo.  SWTOR is more WoW than WoW.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Kabaal

Right, I know it isnt as good as a true tank spec like the vanguards and jug that you mention. I'm just pointing out that it is heavier armor. Also that he repeatly had no issues taking that commando out anytime he wanted. Even though the commando knocked him away. Basically he apparently wants his operative to be as OP as older style rogues in WoW once were with stun lock and burst dps.  I know I've found operatives and sith inquisitors to be a total nightmare to deal with, with my trooper commando.

I do agree and the fact that heavy armour doesn't mitigate the most commonly used abilities is a pet peeve as apart from a Sorc that i shelved the second it 50 all my other toons that i enjoy playing are heavy armour wearers. That's not really an operative issue though but just a lack of foresight from Bioware.

I find Operatives and Smugglers a pain when i'm on my Commando too but sorcs not so much. Most of them don't use their interrupt more than once but for the ones that do charged bolts will be your saviour. Most commando/Merc's remove that skill from their bar when they get grav round or tracer missile and they shouldnt, especially against a sorc who has the least mitigation to white damage. Grav round gets interrupted and everything else is on cooldown? No problem, just spam them with that for nearly the same damage. You can often fool them into interrupting it instead of grav round too leaving you free to build your stacks and debuffs with it ;)

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Alone watching the situation how 2 knockbacks filling his resolve bar for only around 50% shows one of the flaws. A missing gap closer with so much cc around and almost all classes with ranged abilities. His dmg is alright, but did you actually watch some videos about what range classes can dish out versus medium armor classes ? There are some issues he talks about which most melees are confronted with. His complains are objective and not just some teenager babble, you can agree or not but certain points contribute to the state of the pvp we have currently and the pvp is not in the best condition. What he doesnt mention is that he has heals and his advantage with vanish. At the end the video just shows the very cramped group pvp, I avoided to show any huttball videos..would be the climax of a misconcept due to the map design. 

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

... And yeah I know that you have to do the main game in PvE mainly first, which is fine by me. I loved Warhammer Online PvP, and Im bored to death with WoW's PvP. Is it worth playing SW:TOR for the PvP part of the game?

If you're bored with Wow's PVP you'll be comatose in SWTOR.

meh,the only things ive looked at that i hate about sw tor pvp is the ilum/warzone fps lag ive heard about