Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... I like PvP...

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
... And yeah I know that you have to do the main game in PvE mainly first, which is fine by me.

I loved Warhammer Online PvP, and Im bored to death with WoW's PvP.

Is it worth playing SW:TOR for the PvP part of the game?

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Absolutely not, imo.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Would be nice with an argument for why not.

Is it just boring or?

And are you mainly a PvE og PvP player yourself?
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

it's basically just like wow's pvp. only less fluid and more buggy.

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by brody71

Arent all MMOs that?

From what Ive heard it sounds more like Warhammer Online, with ranks and commendations.
  • toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

People have their own opinions about TOR pvp. It's pretty decent, but theres no reason to do it right now. If you want to seriously try out TOR PvP, it would make more sense to wait for the 1.2 patch next month, when they add rated warzones and new ones.

The people who say not to try it are the same ones that complain about TOR in general, mainly because it'snothing like wow's broken system.

Originally posted by toodlepip123

People have their own opinions about TOR pvp. It's pretty decent, but theres no reason to do it right now. If you want to seriously try out TOR PvP, it would make more sense to wait for the 1.2 patch next month, when they add rated warzones and new ones.

The people who say not to try it are the same ones that complain about TOR in general, mainly because it'snothing like wow's broken system.

Well you could say getting gear and getting to endgame level (50) before next patch anyways would be a good thing that adds rated warzones?

Rated Warzones, do you need friends or a guild, or how do you join them?

Why do you think wow is broken compared to this? I am an old WoW player, so I would love to know so I might get more caught with SWTOR:

Well its either this or Rift Im planning on playing now.

Only complaint Im having from seeing sith assasins in pvp is that it looks like you just want to spam whats not on CD....
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I know I may get some flak for posting this, but if you want to play an MMORPG for it's PvP then I suggest you wait for Guild Wars 2. They seem to be the only devs that get it. Also it actually has some e-sport potential. SW:TOR's PvP is just riddled with issues at the moment, like being unplayable for some high-spec PCs.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Arent all MMOs that? From what Ive heard it sounds more like Warhammer Online, with ranks and commendations.

there are ranks and commendations, it works pretty much  like the honor/valor system in wow.  do warzones(bg's) to get commendations and spend them on gear. you get an xp type bar that fills up over time allowing you to buy better gear sets. 

Arent all MMOs that? From what Ive heard it sounds more like Warhammer Online, with ranks and commendations.

there are ranks and commendations, it works pretty much  like the honor/valor system in wow.  do warzones(bg's) to get commendations and spend them on gear. you get an xp type bar that fills up over time allowing you to buy better gear sets. 

Why is it less fluid and more buggy than wow, in your opinion?

Why is it less fluid and more buggy than wow, in your opinion?

just the overall feeling of the combat did not appeal to me.  it didnt feel smoothe.  i dont know if it was a lack of sound fx for the spells or what. something about it just didn't feel like i think combat should.  there are some bugs, abilitys not going off when pressed, the resolve bar not working properly, i havent logged in and played for maybe a month or so, they could have been fixed im not sure.  also when a lot of people are on screen at once,  there would be lag spikes, and characters jumping all over the screen. could just be my pc, but if you look at the swtor forums a lot of people are having issues.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

I want a 3 faction template to start cropping up!!

Bored with Good vs Evil.. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Wait for Guild Wars 2.  TOR is hemorrhaging players, despite what the panicked acolytes are saying in damage control mode.

In GW2 you'll have server vs. server vs. server world PvP and structured PvP. And because ArenaNet's making it, you aren't getting a game that's made purely for the cash-grab from nerds.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Wait for Guild Wars 2.  TOR is hemorrhaging players, despite what the panicked acolytes are saying in damage control mode.
    In GW2 you'll have server vs. server vs. server world PvP and structured PvP. And because ArenaNet's making it, you aren't getting a game that's made purely for the cash-grab from nerds.

AFAIK, SWTOR had 2 mio at launch, and only lost 300k after first month. Thats less than Rift. And that as much as WoW lost last Q.

I hated GW1. GW2 looks promising. But theres a while till GW2 arrives.

Originally posted by Master10K

I know I may get some flak for posting this, but if you want to play an MMORPG for it's PvP then I suggest you wait for Guild Wars 2. They seem to be the only devs that get it. Also it actually has some e-sport potential. SW:TOR's PvP is just riddled with issues at the moment, like being unplayable for some high-spec PCs.

If youve played GW2's pvp at any convention, you wouldnt be singing its praises again.

Youve never played an arenanet game have you. They are good with PvE, but terrible when it comes down to pvp. And no cash grab? You do realise that it is going to be mainly RMT based right? Just like the original was.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

I want a 3 faction template to start cropping up!!

Bored with Good vs Evil.. 

Imho 3 factions is same crap as 2 factions. I'd prefer open pvp with a flagging system like L2.

LFG!
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

If youve played GW2's pvp at any convention, you wouldnt be singing its praises again.

Funny I played gw2 at gamescon and e3, and i'm singing it's praises all day long.  Best fun I've had in a long time.  Only thing that compares IMO is DAOC in it's hayday and the first few battlegrounds in warhammer (before the mid/end game horribleness)

Originally posted by ragz45

Funny I played gw2 at gamescon and e3, and i'm singing it's praises all day long.  Best fun I've had in a long time.  Only thing that compares IMO is DAOC in it's hayday and the first few battlegrounds in warhammer (before the mid/end game horribleness)

I have no idea what dillusions you were under when playing then. The combat felt like oblivion and skyrim. That is, pretty damn terrible. 

I'm not saying it wont change by launch, but from what theyve shown so far, it wont be the amazing game the fanbois are making it out to be. The ONLY thing that stands out are there arent really any quests in the normal sense.  

Youve never played an arenanet game have you. They are good with PvE, but terrible when it comes down to pvp. And no cash grab? You do realise that it is going to be mainly RMT based right? Just like the original was.

what is RMT based? just curious.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Originally posted by ragz45

I have no idea what dillusions you were under when playing then. The combat felt like oblivion and skyrim. That is, pretty damn terrible. 

I'm not saying it wont change by launch, but from what theyve shown so far, it wont be the amazing game the fanbois are making it out to be. The ONLY thing that stands out are there arent really any quests in the normal sense.  

I am sorry, but you quite obviously have never played gw2 at a show.  The combat couldn't feel less like Skyrim, not that Skyrim/oblivion were bad.  I quite enjoyed both, but it felt absolutly nothing like either one.  If anything the combat felt somewhat like dcuo without combo moves.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

If I was a PvP hardcore person I would just stick with consoles or maybe GW as it will not be much into character building (no unfair advantage that the PvP people hate).

Uh oh...the combat felt like DCUO?  That combat feels like console badness.  I was hoping something closer to Dragon Nest (which it looks like in the videos I've seen).

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

PvP in SWTOR - ok here is the deal as I see it, and I am a rather hardcore PvP player. 

Leveling up PvP is great, tons of fun.

AT level 50 however its total crap. 

Its the expertise rating on the gear that makes that all happen. No expertise=no chance at level 50. SO here is how they did this, you only get Expertise on armor maybe around level 45+ (and very little of it at that level if you do get any). SO when you hit the 50s braket you will get eaten by everyone who has the gear no matter your ability in playing your character. You have to have the gear to be useful in 50s PvP, you can't get the gear if you are not useful. So you have to put up with being lunch and grinding tons of losses just to get your start on the gear. 

Make no mistake about it, if you go into a 50s WZ undergeared, you will be a weak link to your team. Add in one or two others who just hit 50, and your team will most likely lose the WZ unless your opponent has the same weak link. You can not help this, you just dont have the gear to make a difference. All you can do is take your licks and hope for the punishment to end without much hatred built up. 

This is the way they designed PvP 50s bracket and how they made gear work in SWTOR. Its not a class balance issue here, its a gear balance issue. Expertise and gear alone determines the OP of the person you are fighting, not thier class, powers, or player skill.

If you are ok with that, then join in and enjoy. Like I said though, I prefer the 10-49 PvP. It doesn't suffer from the gear issue that you find at level 50. A skilled player at 20 can make a difference in a match even if the other side is all in thier 40s. All it takes is effort, determination, and thought...the things that make a good player a great PvPer.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I've played but before I go on I'd like tlyou to give out reasons considered you played it.

Do take note that I think five steps ahead most of the time so Im waiting to hear these claims. Oh and Ahh really I don't like how it was brought up it only causes gw 2 and swtor fights. Oh and I actually manage to try out series pvp all battle fields last week at one of my friends house.

Because honestly if someone is looking for pvp in a mmo it'd be rude to say come to swtor when weeks later they will complain and then the counter will be don't come to swtor thinking pvp was all that.

There are people literally re rolling just to literally avoid pvp so it won't hurt their experience in the journey. Personally both journey and destination should be important but oh we'll that's another story.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Kaocan, I'm currently at 42nd level with my main character. Once I realized how gear worked I started saving the acomindations and turning them into the merceny accomdinations. I'm trying to max out both to their 1000, currently Im at around 550 on the merc points and oh I snagged one bag of that you purchase with 200 merc points and 200 of the other points.

IWhat I am hoping is that once I hit 50th I can just start turning in and getting the bags and getting geared before I even step into a 50th pvp area/warzone. To bad they won't allow you to store multiple of the merc bags, they are unique and you can't open it until your 50th. lol Would have made this less painful. Anyhow I wondered if this is what some others were doing?

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Kaocan
    PvP in SWTOR - ok here is the deal as I see it, and I am a rather hardcore PvP player. 
    Leveling up PvP is great, tons of fun.
    AT level 50 however its total crap. 

Its the expertise rating on the gear that makes that all happen. No expertise=no chance at level 50. SO here is how they did this, you only get Expertise on armor maybe around level 45+ (and very little of it at that level if you do get any). SO when you hit the 50s braket you will get eaten by everyone who has the gear no matter your ability in playing your character. You have to have the gear to be useful in 50s PvP, you can't get the gear if you are not useful. So you have to put up with being lunch and grinding tons of losses just to get your start on the gear. 
    Make no mistake about it, if you go into a 50s WZ undergeared, you will be a weak link to your team. Add in one or two others who just hit 50, and your team will most likely lose the WZ unless your opponent has the same weak link. You can not help this, you just dont have the gear to make a difference. All you can do is take your licks and hope for the punishment to end without much hatred built up. 
    This is the way they designed PvP 50s bracket and how they made gear work in SWTOR. Its not a class balance issue here, its a gear balance issue. Expertise and gear alone determines the OP of the person you are fighting, not thier class, powers, or player skill.
    If you are ok with that, then join in and enjoy. Like I said though, I prefer the 10-49 PvP. It doesn't suffer from the gear issue that you find at level 50. A skilled player at 20 can make a difference in a match even if the other side is all in thier 40s. All it takes is effort, determination, and thought...the things that make a good player a great PvPer.

Hit the nail right on the head.

I've got 2 50's, one of 'em is PvP geared, but I still dont solo queue, that's pretty much for running with a regular group.

My most enjoyable PvP is in the 10-49 brackets with friends and running alts. We find it far more enjoyable than level 50 PvP.