Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Future is Bright (or Dark, if you prefer)

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

anyone else remember mmorpg pushing another mmo's news as much as they do swtor?

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by William12

First off they never once PROMISED the ability to change advanced classes at all let alone once.   Find the quote from them or shut up because I read directly from the forums they said they're against changing advanced classes and if they allow it they would only allow it up until level 20 IF they do at all.   

2nd

The customizable UI is in 1.2 as in you can move around and scale windows (just like rift lets you) also target of target and many other UI improvements.  Does the UI suck ? Yes Will it still suck ?  Yes but they're trying.

Yes they did and I don't appreciate your tone, bub.  It's not my job to give links, I don't write down links from 6 months ago just in case they might be handy, let alone to satisfy a creep like you.  Do a search, Mr. Lazy.  You'll find comments about it from the developers themselves in the official beta forums.  They first promised to get it in before the end of beta, then they postponed it to after release at about the same time they removed the match to chest color option and promised to return it as well.

Secondly, I did mention "Fully" customizable interface, learn to read.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

I don't see anything special in that patch at all. So, a new warfront and raid is what is to be expected from biowares updates? thats the whole reason why i stop playing wow 4 years ago.

Originally posted by Scalebane

anyone else remember mmorpg pushing another mmo's news as much as they do swtor?

They really are backing the game to the hilt aren't they...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Right after launch?  Yup, Rift, Darkfall, War, AOC, pretty much every big name game to come out.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Velera

Yet SOA is still bugged, and Ilum is still a shade of what it could have been.

Soa is not a difficult encounter, I've cleared it on all modes.

Bioware can't do anything about the people you raid with being bads.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Right after launch?  Yup, Rift, Darkfall, War, AOC, pretty much every big name game to come out.

Not to the same extent. There is a new news article concerning swtor pretty much every day.  It's not really right after launch anymore either, the games out 2 months now.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by BarCrow

Liking the new changes and adds. Interested to see what new species will become available. *rubs hands together.*

I'll just say again...I'm so tired of "shoulda been there at launch" . Not just for this game tho it is the one I'm addressing now. No MMO can have everything everybody wants at launch...and I can't think of one MMO that launch with every great feature from every other MMO that exists. Most don't even launch with the basics these days.

I personally haven't noticed any basic tool or feature that SWTOR is lacking other than in the area of PvP...which is only a small part of my playing style. Hell...I've been saying since UO that MMOs should have a feature that goes down on you while you play. Let's see if that ever shows up.

If you read closely, it is new species/class combos from the EXISTING pool of species. I was phsyced too when I first read it.

Then I was sad.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by BarCrow

Liking the new changes and adds. Interested to see what new species will become available. *rubs hands together.*

I'll just say again...I'm so tired of "shoulda been there at launch" . Not just for this game tho it is the one I'm addressing now. No MMO can have everything everybody wants at launch...and I can't think of one MMO that launch with every great feature from every other MMO that exists. Most don't even launch with the basics these days.

I personally haven't noticed any basic tool or feature that SWTOR is lacking other than in the area of PvP...which is only a small part of my playing style. Hell...I've been saying since UO that MMOs should have a feature that goes down on you while you play. Let's see if that ever shows up.

If you read closely, it is new species/class combos from the EXISTING pool of species. I was phsyced too when I first read it.

Then I was sad.

If you read the same thing I did it also stated there would be new races added in later down the road.  So they DO intend to allow more to be playable.

I can't wait to have my Miraluka Sith warrior, or roll a Sith Jedi Warrior, heh heh.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Laughing-man

If you read the same thing I did it also stated there would be new races added in later down the road.  So they DO intend to allow more to be playable.

I can't wait to have my Miraluka Sith warrior, or roll a Sith Jedi Warrior, heh heh.

Ya, I've seen that said in the past and understood it too be "down the road". Personally, I'm waiting to be able to make a Togruta Jedi, but I'm sad that it won't be in 1.2 when I can do it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Sounds to me like, after this patch Beta will be officially over.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by arctarus

@idragon, seriously? War leveling is better than WoW? I mean seriously?

... And the same horrendous crafting!

Come on - WAR PvP was several times better vs. SWTOR and for my taste vs. WoW ... I mean open world PvP still sucked, but the WAR battlegrounds were the best I have ever played in any MMO.

and they honestly put it they have no place for crafting in WAR, while WoW/SWTOR pretend they have crafting skills, but those are totally useless except for getting some pre-tier1-PvE gear and some cash (the cash useless again, since you can't buy anything worthy - everything is farmed through heroics/raiding or PvP). BTW I love crafting - it's just there is no place for it in WoW/SWTOR.

Even then WAR failed ... but you know this is a bad message for SWTOR. The only reason SWTOR is still hanging - "it is f-ing Star Wars"! ))) That was exacly the reason I purchased it - I was bored and I love SW... (and I hoped they would make a good MMO, but was expecting the bad end pretty much the same).  

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by Yalexy

PvP... who the hell cares about PvP

You can't be serious right? Have you noticed the number of PvP servers and PvP guilds? Soon there will be fewer of them for sure, but that is because they do care about PvP, not vice versa.

On the other hand, I believe developers thought exactly like you do, or maybe you are one of them ? -) lol That is exactly the reason why SWTOR failed.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

DaddyDark, as far as I know the servers are all up and running and the populations are quite healthy, so your post fails, not SWTOR. If anything this patch will help things, not hurt.

There Is Always Hope!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Even the writer of this column doesnt understand what the problem is with the global cooldown. The real problem  with the global cooldown change was for classes with a lot of situational skills (if it looks pwetty:/ is besides the point). They need to queue their skills during cooldown. They dont know what will be available untill global cooldown starts and they can see if one of their procs hit which gives them enough rage/force. The new effect made this more difficult to see. It was a very stupid change!

Besides, any decent player doesnt need such an over the top effect for global cooldown. You get used to the timing of global cooldown (it is always the same lenght) during combat. For this a more subtle effect makes much more sense. Also because individual skill availability needs to be best visibile.

Instead of changing it back, they first turned this into a ridiculous poll, where they asked players if they like it or not.  Any dev team that proposes a change for aesthetics at the cost of functionality like they did with that poll is just noob or incredibly stubborn. It was already explained very clearly why that GCD change was a bad one for rage users.

I'm glad that they finally came to their senses and announced upcoming changes that let you change the GCD to your liking in preferences (why wasnt it made into an option in the first place?).

Anyway, this process made me doubt this dev team. To me they seem to try to reinvent the wheel.

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

whoop dee doo.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

i like the game but what bothers me is there focusing on warzones and ilum is not "amazing" and im still waiting to be amazed gabe. I dont get why james ohlen is saying swtor has the best pvp development team yet i can go solo take the outside of a rep base with 2 rockets? this is a joke.

I agree about the UI it seems a bit odd as a "comming soon" feature? In beta thats all people were saying for 6 months was about the ui and to not have that at launch is? wtf

Im giving it 6 months but the legacy im waiting to see it just seems like all it is letting me play rep side races on imp and vice versa which wont solve balance really. Further more if you can make a pureblood jedi im going to laugh b/c that is not accurate to lore.

All i really want out of legacy is to make my zabrak have yellow skin and huge horns like savage oppressor which i doubt it will.

Guess well see..

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

How is Soa bugged? having an evo-raid doesn't count as "Bugged" (unless you mean the 2nd floor missing parts when you wipe at phase change), which can be corrected with a phase reset)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am mostly interested in open world PvP and it seems this patch will do nothing to promote and encourage it so for me this patch is useless short of the new Warzone which might make instanced PvP a bit more varied.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

Wow there are some people on here who realy need to step away from games and gaming forums.You would think Bio touched em in there no no spot. Oh and no there wasnt a promise to make advanced spec changes. More of a it might be looked at.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Yamota

I am mostly interested in open world PvP and it seems this patch will do nothing to promote and encourage it so for me this patch is useless short of the new Warzone which might make instanced PvP a bit more varied.

I wouldn't say the patch will be useless for me even though open world PvP is usually where i get my enjoyment, just not in this game. It will improve the areas of the game i am playing and having some fun in.

That being said, they need to do a lot more to keep me playing beyond the next decent game to release, and i plan on trying them all. It's a bit late now but Coruscant should have been the end leveling planet with us warring over it instead of the non factors there are now, if it had been and they'd added some decent PvP objectives the game could hold me longer. Not gonna happen though and it's easy to say what 'should have been'.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Keushpuppy

Wow there are some people on here who realy need to step away from games and gaming forums.You would think Bio touched em in there no no spot. Oh and no there wasnt a promise to make advanced spec changes. More of a it might be looked at.

I am just looking forward to the next big MMO release, so the legion of people who hate this game can move on to either play or hate the next one. Maybe the forums will free up a bit from the negativity...well, we can dream, right?

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

I quit because I found the game boring. Probably not the games fault. I felt the same "vibe" playing SWOTOR as I did in my last years playing WoW (which I've also quit)  sort of "meh - it's good at what it sets out to do - but darn it - i've actioned this "play mechanic" perhaps a million times in X years...I've had enough"

There is so little to do outside combat in SWTOR that I decided the whole AAA MMORPG thing probably wasn't for me any more. Loved MMO's  for years, but" done it - been there - seen that" is the feeling I get now, and being sci fi (or fantasy) rather than "swords and sorcery" isn't enough to make me want to do it all over again.

But that's the sort of person I am. I quit FPS's after Quake Arena - and I can't see any major reason to go back to those either. The gameplay I see in the latest battlefield game looks just the same to me..just prettier.

For SW fans - or those new to MMO's or just those who aren't bored of it yet - SWTOR will be a HUGE hit. It's a great game, well presented and with good storytelling and great combat mechanics (which is good - as there is nothing at all to do outside combat be it PvE or PvP).

Good luck Bioware - i'll see you again with the next Dragonage game (bored with Mass Effect as well...:)  )

Dwarf Fortress. Frozen Synapse and some really good indie strategy games are occupying my time and Fallen Eartth and EvE for MMO's not becasue they are sandbox - but becasue they are "deeper" - there is jus t"more to do than combat" - cause I'm Booooooooored with just combat.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Maisson

I for one am enjoying SWTOR and am looking forward to these updates. 

There have been a lot of posts about this game both positive and negative. Is the game flawless? No, absolutley not and no MMO or game is flawless.

I do have a few gripes about the game that will hopefully be fixed with future content, such as customizing the inside of your ship, using your ships furniture or any furniture ingame, The GTN could use a slight overhaul as far as searching for items goes. Over all though this is a great game for it only being 2 months old from release.

I do get annoyed with people bashing the game (not only this MMO, but others as well) with excuses that just are not realistic such as:

1) WoW clone - this is not a WoW clone nor is any game a clone of anything else. This game, just like other MMO's, is using the same MMO style and formula, WoW included. If a game were a clone of another I am almost positive the company doing the cloning would be getting a hefty lawsuit.

2) This is not an MMORPG - last time I checked and MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online roll playing game - now If you get to choose your characters appearence, outfits/gear, class/advanced class and spec that class out, and you are chosing something in a story whether its something simple as choosing to accept or turn in a quest you are playing some type of RPG, now if you add alot of players in the same game and its online then that would be an MMO. So yes this is a MMORPG game.

3) There is no social aspect - this is really simple, if you can chat with anyone else at any given time then it's social. Any MMO is social, but it's only a social as you make it. If you choose not to talk to anyone or interact with anyone then it will feel very antisocial. Go out into the game world and make friends, kind of like RL.

4) SWTOR failed or will be free to play in a few months - First off, no one knows the furture. Second, how do we know it fails? Are there guildlines to follow or criteria to meet to consider it an epic fail?

This goes for any MMO out there. I am not defending SWTOR persay I was using SWTOR in this post because this is a SWTOR discussion.

There are plus and minus's to every MMO out and no company has come out with the perfect MMO and I am not sure any comapny ever will, but if you don't like an MMO list some reasons why such as I did not like the crafting system because or the PVP was not my style or I prefer a sandbox style game or give some constructive criticism both here and the SWTOR forums and perhaps a change will happen.

Aww the fanbois are soooooooo adorable!

I remember back when I was a fanboi of SWG.  Honestly, up until Publish 9 I was one of the biggest fanbois around.

But let me help educate the fanboi as to what people actually mean when they criticize.

1.)  WoW clone.  Actually, if you made a game pretty similar, you wouldn't face a lawsuit.  game mechanics are not copyrighted.  The talent trees in many cases are identical, the head honchos themselves even said they would be modeling the game entirely off WoW, since "if a game does something WoW doesn't do, that's poor business" or something of that effect.

2.)  When people say "this isn't an MMORPG", here is what they mean.  The worlds are empty, there really is little point in interacting with other players.  The economy of the game is designed pretty much with self-sufficiency in mind, unless you want to grind OPS for rare resources.   I wouldn't say "it isn't an MMO."  Yet the game is far more like a single player game with co-op multiplayer.  That can be fixed by adding some immersion into the world (starting with proper ambient sounds), but it most certainly isn't there yet.

3.)  There's more to a social aspect of game than typing in chatboxes.  Since everyone is funnelled into the fleet, worlds feel very empty.  Go into a cantina, meant to be a social hub, and nobody is there.  Thanks to the heavy usage of instancing, you will only see another person maybe at most 3-5% of the time on planet.  What kind of player even system is there?  Does the economy encourage interaction with others at every step of the way?  Are there lots of group quests?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Fusion

How is Soa bugged? having an evo-raid doesn't count as "Bugged" (unless you mean the 2nd floor missing parts when you wipe at phase change), which can be corrected with a phase reset)

He randomly drops aggro last I checked. Not sure if hes' got any other bugs at the moment other than the ones you've mentioned. :)