Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thankful for Elin Changes

baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

There was a lot of talk on both sides of the argument when the Elin changes were announced, and the initial concept images looked pretty lame. Now that it is official and we are in beta, we can make a better judgment.

The changes to the Elin are subtle and take the creepiness factor down to 2 from 8.

The additions of shorts instead of bikini bottoms now looks natural, I personally may end up playing an Elin Warrior as an alt whereas I would have avoided the race completely prior.

Anyone else happy they changed them?

Someone please make a good MMO.

Comments

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

I'm happy too. It's a subtle change, but does make them less sexual - which is a sensible thing. 

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

i dont see much of a diffrence there, all the pedo talk going on was confusing for me since a real pervert will not stop from his mindset with or without those minor changes.

i found the original to be more lightweight fantasy /cute. Current version aint that mcuh diffrence besides no naked bellys. 

Some people will anyway play their toons with the cam stuck up their butts... no matter what you do. Btw the 1st de-censor packs pop up already. Simple tex change in your clients directory. This is not even touched by a clients filerepair. For thos who liked the other version better.

*shrug*

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i dont know much about korean culture, so i have to ask,

Does anyone know why they are obsessed with scantily clad cartoon little girls?  Is it a religion thing?

I've got the straight edge.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by brody71

Does anyone know why they are obsessed with scantily clad cartoon little girls?  Is it a religion thing?

You realize that they sell teenage girls used panties in vending machines over in those coountries. Do you people really not understand that their are differnt cultures in the world with different ideals than you? Just because you grew up in a society dfounded by Puritans doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks like you do. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

You realize that they sell teenage girls used panties in vending machines over in those coountries. Do you people really not understand that their are differnt cultures in the world with different ideals than you? Just because you grew up in a society dfounded by Puritans doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks like you do. 

i simply asked a question i was wondering the reasoning behind it. i wasnt putting down koreans, i was trying to get some insight. sorry if it came off the wrong way.

I've got the straight edge.

Naw just saying their culture is very different from ours. 

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

I don't really care about the change, personally i felt it was unecessary, but it's nothing that's really worth complaining about :P

What i do wonder though is that people who see the people who play them as perverts also think people who watch cat videos on youtube is into beastiality?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

[mod edit]

Does it really effect you? What do you do when you pass by a swimming poll with young girls in bikinis? Do you gouge your eyes out? Do you storm into the pool and demand they cover up so that you don't get aroused?

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by Lille7

I don't really care about the change, personally i felt it was unecessary, but it's nothing that's really worth complaining about :P

What i do wonder though is that people who see the people who play them as perverts also think people who watch cat videos on youtube is into beastiality?

Well played.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Does it really effect you? What do you do when you pass by a swimming poll with young girls in bikinis? Do you gouge your eyes out? Do you storm into the pool and demand they cover up so that you don't get aroused?

and does it really offend you that they ARE covered up?

Do you pass school playgrounds, stop, and demand all the girl strip down to their knickers and vests?

Look... Obviously some are more worried about the sexulisation of childish avatars then others, but I have to ask why are you so bothered that less flesh is on display?

Why does it bother you so?

I think personally in this case it is better to err on the side of caution myself.

Originally posted by baritone3k

Well played.

Well... not really well played...

If those cats were sexulised, in the way that some Furries insist on doing for example, then I would consider them as being into beastiality, yes.

The folks that are against the more sexualised version of the elin are not against all videos or whatever of small children, they are obviously just against the sexulisation.

I coudln't care less...

yet here you are in this thread debating against a guy who does care and making silly comments about him gouging hi eyes out near swimming pools.

If you don't care about the subject matter then I can only assume your only here to troll him.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'd say it's more just a cultular difference.

Think about movies made here. How many of them feature murdering, even though everyone considers that murdering another person is horrible crime?

In Japan and Korea it's more common and more accepted to add some erotic themes, even about persons who are clearly underage. But that doesn't make them obsessed pedophiles any more than people in west are all obsessed murderers.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

^^ this sums it up.
  • BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

It's not only about clothing, it's the giggles and booty shakings and whatnots, it's clearly sexualy provocative.

Add to that the sexy clothing and avatar that looks like a 9 year old girl and the whole package is just creepy.

I don't care about asian culture being different the game is served to the west, which has different normes and perhaps a bigger number of pedos and child molestors, you don't want them encouraged or aroused in any way...

Personally I think Elin should have been scraped from the western client because it has a potential to cause a lot of trouble for Bluehole.

I have mentioned this before, all it takes is to show some of the videos to child protective services or other govermental institution that has a political power and there goes trouble and it's not like Bluehole don't have enemies that would shut down the game tomorrow if they could.

For example, Germany is known for banning video games they find ultra aggresive etc.

Lose Germany and there goes a half of EU market.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

While I personally agree with the changes I am not one to force my beliefs on other people.  It is my personal opinion that a box in the graphics settings for more modest Elin textures would have been enough.  That way you can not see the textures that offend you and other people can have an uncensored version of the game.

I suspect it was never about personal opinion though, and it almost never is.  The censorship police just wanted to force their opinion on other people.  It somehow validates their life.  A wierd concept.  I prefer a lot of things that would make me more conservative, but I can have those things without impeding on other peoples freedoms.  Just because I like blue walls in my house doesn't mean I should force everyone to have blue walls.  While this is a simplificationn of the issue, the base argument I'm making stands.

I'm very tired of every little thing in life being some political battle.  Both parties could have had what they wanted here.  But for one party, having only their textures changed was not good enough.

Gauge

Originally posted by gaugemew

While I personally agree with the changes I am not one to force my beliefs on other people.  It is my personal opinion that a box in the graphics settings for more modest Elin textures would have been enough.  That way you can not see the textures that offend you and other people can have an uncensored version of the game.

I suspect it was never about personal opinion though, and it almost never is.  The censorship police just wanted to force their opinion on other people.  It somehow validates their life.  A wierd concept.  I prefer a lot of things that would make me more conservative, but I can have those things without impeding on other peoples freedoms.  Just because I like blue walls in my house doesn't mean I should force everyone to have blue walls.  While this is a simplificationn of the issue, the base argument I'm making stands.

I'm very tired of every little thing in life being some political battle.  Both parties could have had what they wanted here.  But for one party, having only their textures changed was not good enough.

Gauge

Well said

Originally posted by Benjola

It's not only about clothing, it's the giggles and booty shakings and whatnots, it's clearly sexualy provocative.

Add to that the sexy clothing and avatar that looks like a 9 year old girl and the whole package is just creepy.

I don't care about asian culture being different the game is served to the west, which has different normes and perhaps a bigger number of pedos and child molestors, you don't want them encouraged or aroused in any way...

Personally I think Elin should have been scraped from the western client because it has a potential to cause a lot of trouble for Bluehole.

I have mentioned this before, all it takes is to show some of the videos to child protective services or other govermental institution that has a political power and there goes trouble and it's not like Bluehole don't have enemies that would shut down the game tomorrow if they could.

For example, Germany is known for banning video games they find ultra aggresive etc.

Lose Germany and there goes a half of EU market.

But this is a korean game, here i would really like to play the "if you don't like it, don't play it" card. I don't think you should change the game because a few people complain, if you do that you will end up with a game that is more like every other game out there (this time it's a minor change, and one that doesn't effect gameplay, so no biggie, but im against it on principle). Let games be different.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

It's not a 'few people' it's a whole different culture with different norms, rules and laws.

Just like they 'westernized' the client language-wise they also did other aspects of the game including the Elin changes.

I just hope giving Elin hotpants instead of panties is enough.

I don't think it is for reasons mentioned in my post and I also hope Tera can 'fly under the censorship radar' with this issue and my guess is it will because I don't expect of the game to become a huge WoW-like succes in EU and NA so the whole thing will prolly go unnoticed.

I'm not talking about gamers I'm talking about goverments, west is extremely protective and overly sensitive when it comes to children and they can and will censor it if they see fit.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

People kill me with these topics. I understand both side of the coin but when this is acceptable

and this is the problem i fail to understand the logic

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

^ propbably why I will never play this game tbh. Just like I will never attend one of those creepy child abuse freak shows too.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by st4t1ck

People kill me with these topics. I understand both side of the coin but when this is acceptable

[stuff]

and this is the problem i fail to understand the logic

Same problem here...

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Asian art style like those seen in Tera have been around a very long time.

Did anyone have issues with Sailor Moon? I see no real difference between the two. It's the players themselves who make the connection of the two things. I don't have much to say on Tera and it's character design choice here. I commend them for taking the time to try and tone it down for people, they seem to of still maintained the overlook and appeal of the character model..

What's more sick IMO than the toons in a game like Tera are the real-life Tera crowd. Those parents the expose their children to the world of vanity is crazy. Those princess shows by far are more offensive to the eye and political correctness than Tera and some design choices.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Hypocrisy is one of the things that our society tolerates very well.

I vote for Burqa. After all it is the only way not to offend me.

/sarcasm off

Originally posted by Benjola

It's not a 'few people' it's a whole different culture with different norms, rules and laws.

Just like they 'westernized' the client language-wise they also did other aspects of the game including the Elin changes.

I just hope giving Elin hotpants instead of panties is enough.

I don't think it is for reasons mentioned in my post and I also hope Tera can 'fly under the censorship radar' with this issue and my guess is it will because I don't expect of the game to become a huge WoW-like succes in EU and NA so the whole thing will prolly go unnoticed.

I'm not talking about gamers I'm talking about goverments, west is extremely protective and overly sensitive when it comes to children and they can and will censor it if they see fit.

I doubt anyone here in Sweden would care if the original Elin was used. Or yes, some would care, and complain, but nothing would be done about it.

Changing the game to avoid silly censorship is not solving the problem, simply working around it. The problem would be the silly censorship. I believe games should be governed by the games industry and it's costumers, not the people who would never play the game and get all their "facts" from some "news" channel like Fox.

This discussion has been closed.