Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the first signal to you that this multi-multi-million dollar game was seriously flawed?

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Valua

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Valua

Still the best MMO launching since World of Warcraft? Probably.

just to clarify: best launch since WoW, or best game that has launched since WoW?

I meant best launch, which can't really be debunked, it's pretty clear how well they launched when others failed misserably (WAR, Vanguard, Aion, Lotro etc.)

But in my opinion it is also the best MMO released since WoW. (Here's hoping Secret World, GW2 or Arche Age can change this, because ToR being the best MMO since WoW isn't a particually good thing.)

the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help us gods.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Well there is quite a list.. and not being rash i have a level 50 guardian who i did actually enjoy playing, a level 40 trooper, level 30 sith sorc and a level 30 bounty hunter.. so i've seen a fair amount of the content... before i cancelled i was 4/5 nightmare EV on my main and like 1/5 nightmare.. full clear HM of kraggas, i'm speaking out of personal experience and not just trying to bash on the game BUT...

1. Broken OPs / Flashpoints - yeah some were fun, the new stuff was alot better but still incredibly buggy and broken to the point of walking into *cough*ragnaros 3.0s room *cough* and instadying before even engaging the boss.. walking in lava or doing anything that should actually kill you... then when you do engage him none of his abilities fire.. he stands there melee hitting the tank till he's dead... or people getting instakilled by a rediculous zone around SoA's pillar even while being half way across the other side of the room, etc...

2. Combat - bit of a joke, clunky, buggy some of my guild members would experience multiple animations without the actual skill firing off, i experienced skills not firing but never really the multiple animation bug

3. UI - this was considerably dealbreaking for me, unresizable, uncustomizable, no onscreen warning for "procced" abilities, broken raid frames, target of target half the time not working, being unable to focus a "healable" and "non healable" target at the same time... not to mention numerous other bugs

4. PvP - cap trading in an open world PvP zone.. good job, let's fix it but break it more for a day and even now still with faction imbalance it's hardly worth doing. warzones get boring very quickly

5. Playability - at level 50, when you're locked out of raids for a week and tired of warzones and you cant benefit really from flashpoints.. you can do dailies aaaaaand thats all well i mean u can level an alt too, hunt for datacrons and well thats actually about it.

6. Storyline that matters - except it really didnt... at all

7. Graphics - acceptable of 2005

8. dev team - who apparently ignored so much of the beta feedback and bug reports during beta and shipped a game with bugs that had been reported over 6 months earlier... then using our "free 30 days" as a beta test and finally fixing things that shouldnt have been broken at launch to begin with by the end of the "free 30 days"

9. EA - pulling content that was in beta right at launch, including armor, social gear and a few more bits and pieces.. almost seems like the game has been designed to go F2P within 6 months wouldnt suprise me if it did at this point.

10. Bad business - announcing a red zone, like honestly in this day and age you want to alienate a large portion of potential customers.. now granted anyone who really wanted to obtained a copy and was in at launch anyway, but it's just rediculous to be honest.

now there is more but no one is actually gonna care enough or people are just gonna say i'm bashing to be cool, but this list and a heap of other things i can think of were completely gamebreaking for me... i subbed for my founders title becuase if they do improve it a hell of alot i would check it out again in the future but at this point in time there isnt really any chance of that happening.. and for the record i actually did enjoy myself a little upto level 50 on my main i havent completely hated the game but it just isnt enough

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

When I saw EA was involved.  Since they specialize in delivering pablum for the masses, I'm not suprised that this is exactly what was shipped.

This quote from a year ago confirmed it though:

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

- Greg Zeshuk

It least he was honest about not even bothering to try and create something new and original.  That would be pretty "dumb" of them, wouldn't it?

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

Well I think its the best mmo I have ever played over the last 10 years or so. So I cant say I noticed it as seriously flawed.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by mcburly

Well I think its the best mmo I have ever played over the last 10 years or so. So I cant say I noticed it as seriously flawed.

As far as the launches of any MMO it's got many many many fewer issues than they have.

Originally posted by mbrodie

Well there is quite a list.. and not being rash i have a level 50 guardian who i did actually enjoy playing, a level 40 trooper, level 30 sith sorc and a level 30 bounty hunter.. so i've seen a fair amount of the content... before i cancelled i was 4/5 nightmare EV on my main and like 1/5 nightmare.. full clear HM of kraggas, i'm speaking out of personal experience and not just trying to bash on the game BUT...

1. Broken OPs / Flashpoints - yeah some were fun, the new stuff was alot better but still incredibly buggy and broken to the point of walking into *cough*ragnaros 3.0s room *cough* and instadying before even engaging the boss.. walking in lava or doing anything that should actually kill you... then when you do engage him none of his abilities fire.. he stands there melee hitting the tank till he's dead... or people getting instakilled by a rediculous zone around SoA's pillar even while being half way across the other side of the room, etc...

2. Combat - bit of a joke, clunky, buggy some of my guild members would experience multiple animations without the actual skill firing off, i experienced skills not firing but never really the multiple animation bug

3. UI - this was considerably dealbreaking for me, unresizable, uncustomizable, no onscreen warning for "procced" abilities, broken raid frames, target of target half the time not working, being unable to focus a "healable" and "non healable" target at the same time... not to mention numerous other bugs

4. PvP - cap trading in an open world PvP zone.. good job, let's fix it but break it more for a day and even now still with faction imbalance it's hardly worth doing. warzones get boring very quickly

5. Playability - at level 50, when you're locked out of raids for a week and tired of warzones and you cant benefit really from flashpoints.. you can do dailies aaaaaand thats all well i mean u can level an alt too, hunt for datacrons and well thats actually about it.

8. dev team - who apparently ignored so much of the beta feedback and bug reports during beta and shipped a game with bugs that had been reported over 6 months earlier... then using our "free 30 days" as a beta test and finally fixing things that shouldnt have been broken at launch to begin with by the end of the "free 30 days"

9. EA - pulling content that was in beta right at launch, including armor, social gear and a few more bits and pieces.. almost seems like the game has been designed to go F2P within 6 months wouldnt suprise me if it did at this point.

10. Bad business - announcing a red zone, like honestly in this day and age you want to alienate a large portion of potential customers.. now granted anyone who really wanted to obtained a copy and was in at launch anyway, but it's just rediculous to be honest.

now there is more but no one is actually gonna care enough or people are just gonna say i'm bashing to be cool, but this list and a heap of other things i can think of were completely gamebreaking for me... i subbed for my founders title becuase if they do improve it a hell of alot i would check it out again in the future but at this point in time there isnt really any chance of that happening.. and for the record i actually did enjoy myself a little upto level 50 on my main i havent completely hated the game but it just isnt enough

ROFL Every issue you've brought up they are adressing.  The graphics are on par with any other MMO right now.  They have a resolution updating coming in the near future which will put it on par with even the likes of Rift.

Some people are absolutely unreasonable.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by Jason2444

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Pretty easy one for me.

They claim to have spent 100s of millions on a game that isn't even good enough to be F2P. I wonder where all the money actually went? It wasn't VA or cinimatics, they don't cost that much.

Well James Ohlen ALONE gets a paycheck of over 1 million a year for starters 

Yeah, well I can't see that gig going on for him that much longer, no once the February sub figures come in.

Originally posted by dollada06

ROFL Every issue you've brought up they are adressing.  The graphics are on par with any other MMO right now.  They have a resolution updating coming in the near future which will put it on par with even the likes of Rift.

oh sorry it's unreasonable for me to expect a game with 200 million spent on it and that long in development to address issues posted 6 months to a year in advance to be fixed when the game launches.. or at least be on par with the mmo's of today at release... i'm not being unreasonable it's my $15 a month why should i keep paying to play a beta product that literally has nothing to offer me

• Currently SWTOR is one of if not at the top of polished games out there. I do not really have an issue with it so I do not see this serious flaw. Yes there can be changes and fixes, but honestly I can't say there is an MMo out there that I can't find some fault with. If a game isn't for you then move on, and don't waste your time. It seems like if you are wasting time you really enjoy making logical fallacies or ignorant. No reason to spend time obsessing over something and repeatedly posting where you could spend time playing a game you enjoy more. For me the only game I would honestly play more won't be out for another few years, but hey I enjoy the storyline, I enjoy the options and the consequences to the in game choices. It seems really well put together and pretty much delivers on what Bioware said it would deliver. It seems that some peoples delusions made them think Bioware promised more than they claimed which is intriguing, but not worth my time.

oh sorry it's unreasonable for me to expect a game with 200 million spent on it and that long in development to address issues posted 6 months to a year in advance to be fixed when the game launches.. or at least be on par with the mmo's of today at release... i'm not being unreasonable it's my $15 a month why should i keep paying to play a beta product that literally has nothing to offer me

Thats only your opinion.  The 99% majority of peple believe the game is more polished than any other MMO in history--which would pretty much mean your flat out wrong.  Its nowhere NEAR beta lol.  You're clueless.

Thats only your opinion.  The 99% majority of peple believe the game is more polished than any other MMO in history--which would pretty much mean your flat out wrong.  Its nowhere NEAR beta lol.  You're clueless.

is that why basically all of the servers in the first 30 days being heavy / full are not light / standard during peak times with maybe 3 or 4 servers actually being heavy to full still.. ohhhh and that there is like apparently sooo many threads about people posting whats wrong with the game that everyone should just stop... (but you must be right 99% majority of the people beleve it's the most polished game ever... so if thats the case.. the 1000000 people posting whats wrong swtor must have a majority of like 10,000,000 odd, rivaling WoW.. impressive if u ask me)

this is exactly what i was talking about i try to post my opinion constructivley without just saying swtor is the worst game ever... when i actually said i did enjoy parts of it and i did enjoy my main to level 50 but everything became overly redundant but nope i'm just hating on the most polished game ever... so polished infact that combat alone has had about 4 fixes so far and still requires more.. the client to server communications was completely broken when it came to reading global cooldown and how it executed checks for it... combat being one of the single most important aspects of a mmo a problem which bioware themselves has acknowledged and tried several times to fix... but still obviously most polished game ever.,.. even with broken combat...

ok, you've stepped into the realm of fanboi when i was just trying to be constructibve and believe me, i've posted all these issues to bioware themselves in tickets, beta repots and all that nonsense, so i did infact want the game to be good, unfortunatly it just shipped dissapointingly and if you infact think you didnt get a beta product at launch.. you're disillusioned plain and simple

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    What thrills do people get for wanting to know why a person likes or doesn't like a product?
  • AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

When they just didn't appear to get that it was indeed immersion breaking to have all characters, no matter what race have to share the same surname. That was my first serious misgiving clue, and from that point on they just sort of kept coming, like ducks in a row. From the life-less worlds which look a lot like a 1960s Hollywood movie set to the badly rendered "moving carpets of grass". 

The laundry list of issues with this game came so fast and consistantly that I gave up tracking them. Reminds me of that movie a few years ago "King Arthur", under errors on IMDB.com it had "to many to list". Yeah a lot like that. :(

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    King Authur was still a fun movie. I enjoyed it.

Originally posted by bossalinie

What thrills do people get for wanting to know why a person likes or doesn't like a product?

Well you know, its called discussion and debate, sharing ideas and opinions. Part of what makes us different from the neighbors cat or dog. Also if developers don't see feedback they won't know what they did wrong for future projects. What I don't get is posters like you who don't want to talk about the issues with this game. Hey if your happy with your head in the sand, then by all means continue to do so. Just on't crap on our desire to improve this or future games by talking about what we didn't like and why.

Originally posted by bossalinie

King Authur was still a fun movie. I enjoyed it.

Might have been "ok" if they hadn't tried to sell it so hard  (a lot like how Bioware's PR machine has worked lately I might add) as the first time the "real story" of King Arthur was told! etc etc etc. Here is the kicker they sell it as the most historically accurate and giving you the real untold story and yet had so many historical inaccurate things going on that I finally had to stop the darn DvD because it was just that bad. I found myself for once talking so much that I annoyed myself with my babble.  I actually watched it all the way through a few weeks later and thought "wow" was that bad. As were the interviews with the cast and director, the director who by the way shouldn't ever be allowed to claim "historical" anything in his movies.

Had it been sold as a typical fantasy fluff piece, action oriented etc, I'd have been fine with it being a typical Hollywood big budget movie.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I don't see anything that could be termed "deeply flawed", perhaps if I was one of these so-called MMO fans that believe their own personal vision of the perfect MMO will ever see the light of day without them being an actual developer responsible for bringing that vision to life I might though.

SWTOR is as good a game as has been made to date, it has it's flaws, albeit I would call the vast majority of them minor annoyances, but zeroing in on a host of minor trivialities does more to say things abnout you as an individual than it does about the game, if you want to offer a stronger argument for you knowing what the hell you are talking about come up with at least a weightier argument (which some have done) .

I wonder if all the players on this site got their heads together they would be able to make this "perfect sandbox" they are always banging on about, I don't know if it would work or not, it'll never happen which is a great pity but I'd lay odds that a lot of attitudes would change once the insight into the creation of an MMO was gained.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

The 99% majority of peple believe the game is more polished than any other MMO in history--which would pretty much mean your flat out wrong. 

Just when you think forum posters couldn't get any more whacked in their creative number system they somehow manage to still surprise you.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Skuz

I don't see anything that could be termed "deeply flawed", perhaps if I was one of these so-called MMO fans that believe their own personal vision of the perfect MMO will ever see the light of day without them being an actual developer responsible for bringing that vision to life I might though.

SWTOR is as good a game as has been made to date, it has it's flaws, albeit I would call the vast majority of them minor annoyances, but zeroing in on a host of minor trivialities does more to say things abnout you as an individual than it does about the game, if you want to offer a stronger argument for you knowing what the hell you are talking about come up with at least a weightier argument (which some have done) .

I wonder if all the players on this site got their heads together they would be able to make this "perfect sandbox" they are always banging on about, I don't know if it would work or not, it'll never happen which is a great pity but I'd lay odds that a lot of attitudes would change once the insight into the creation of an MMO was gained.

Besides the badly optimized rendering HeroEngine? Which honestly is a big deep flaw. That engine will not support large scale battles, players have isuses with a dozen or so players in the same area. Even I with a higher end system see graphical lag issues that sadden me though I shouldn't be surprised, after all Simutronics coded the engine.

Besides that the lack of real worlds gets a bit old. I'll use the example of the cheap short cut crap that they've done in world design. I was on Balmorra the other day and realized I was having really bad deja vu. Why? Because they had simply re-named certain npcs and changed the faction and reused the same damn area for my Republic character just at a higher level. An area I had done the week before with my Sith juggernaught.  Wow. So no "real worlds" you can't just go visit these areas because they aren't real worlds they are phases cut and paste designed and implimented.  This would be a typical lazy code short cut example that I am talking about and adds to the deeply flawed design of this game.

I should be able to go anywhere and it should all be the same world, not the same world but different phased for the two factions so that the Republic Outpost is now an Imperial outpost! With very similar quests I might add to boot. Bioware did so much corner cutting on this project that they should be embarrassed honestly. That so many bought it hook line and sinker though really says a lot about the players of the mmrpg genre, and not in a good way.

p.s: That you don't see the varied and many amounts of flaws and issues really boggles my mind. Doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it btw. You can, I have had "some" fun with it myself but as a long term way to spend my free time? Nah not even close. This isn't a mmorpg.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by silandril

I also immediately grade an MMO by such things. If you can't sit in a chair then there hasn't been much detail given to being able to "live" in a game. Course I'm old school sandbox oriented and believe a game only has lasting power if you can "build" something within it ( beyond a guild ).

Try Linkrealms.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not sure what the complaint of the OP is.

Does SWTOR not work as intended for what it is?

SWTOR is actually exactly what EA/BW said it'll be so how can it be flawed?

I don't consider Battlefield3 to be flawed because it is an FPS and not an RTS. The OP post makes little sense.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Listen, i know you are new to gaming, but...

There is a huge difference between 'being adressed' and 'having been adressed' when it comes to games.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

What was the first signal to you that this multi-multi-million dollar game was seriously flawed? 

When i read the title of the game.

Why? Because everything StarWars has unevitably Lucas involved. Ever after Return of the Jedi, Lucas was always a guarantee for disappointment on one side and maximum greed on the other.

Bioware statement that they take WoW's success as their lead example had Lucas' greed written allover it. Not quality, innovation, consistency over many years, whatever...but "success" mentioned first - what i took was meant as "money making comes first...says Uncle George".

Not Bioware made this game -what would have been problem enough considering their lack of mmorpg-experience.

Suites from LucasArts exploiting the "clone-wars cartoon kids dreaming to be jedi" made this game. I knew then it was bound to fail.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Re 'more polished'-  by just about any objective measure you choose to apply this is simply not true.

99% of people - right, the hyperbole is strong in this one. Even if that was true it is a logical phallacy to conclude he is 'flat out wrong' (argumentum ad populum or the fallacy of mass appeal). Finally an ad hominem attack (You're clueless) for good measure.

Mind bogglingly barren post. One just has to laugh (and dispair just a little).

Originally posted by Coated

Listen, i know you are new to gaming, but...

There is a huge difference between 'being adressed' and 'having been adressed' when it comes to games.

thankyou for that, i was begining to think i was crazy for finding faults in this game...