Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the first signal to you that this multi-multi-million dollar game was seriously flawed?

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

For me, it was something very simple. I arrived on Hutta and saw the incredibly detailed if lifeless scenery. That wasn't a problem, I expected that from EQ2. I didn't even mind the fact that it wasn't really scenery at all, just a series of pathways; I knew this was going to be a very limited themepark game anyway. No, what got me was that when I returned to the cantina to hand in my mission, I couldn't sit down on a chair. Now, I don't know how difficult that would be to programme or animate but I do recognise that somewhere along the line, someone in Bioware or EA said: 'Siting? Too expensive to develop. Fuck them if they want to sit down, they can squat on the floor. I don't remember Han and Chewie sitting down, do you?'. And it was then I realised this game was bad.

What the first indication to you - either in a statement or press release issued before the game or in your own personal experience during beta or post-launch - that this game was deeply flawed?

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

When Bioware under EA announced they were making a Knights of the Old Republic MMO trying to be a single player and MMO at the same time.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    While I don't agree that the game is deeply flawed (and sitting down is seriously the tiniest of concerns for this game right now, lol) I will share what I think are the most flawed aspects of the game.

Ilum is the biggest issue in my opinion. They have made some good changes, but thu have a long way to go. I won't rehash all the issues again here, but I'm sure most know what they are.

The other problem that is really bad for me is the buggy as crap raid bosses. There are a whole slew of bugs in EV and they seemto be creating new ones.

That being said, they have actually fixed many EV issues that aren't Soa related, but Soa himself is a roll of the dice if you don't over gear him.

What is interesting is that KP is actually far less buggy than EV and has much more enjoyable stuff inside. The bosses are cooler and work better and the trash mobs can actually be fun and challenging a bit.

I hope that future raid content is more like KP and less like EV.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

what's the difference between a multi and a multi multi?

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Two things jumped out at me 6-12 months before release.  The first was that the screenhots seemed to show a lot of linear gameplay areas.  Lots of unclimable "artificial walls".   The second was the constant pushing of "story" by Bioware.  It wasn't so much that they were pushing their story idea, but that I wasn't hearing anything new or exciting about the actual gameplay.  

These two things pretty much told me all I needed to know, and when I finally played it I turned out to be right. By the time it released I had a good understanding of what the game was and wanted, and I was pretty accurate.  One thing I didn't expected was the lifelessness and lack of atmosphere in the game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Actually I enjoy the game, flaws and all. But then I don't know of any MMO without flaws. I can't take these posts seriously anymore, it's become too much of the 'in thing' to bash TOR these days. I'm not saying there aren't honest complaints about the game, but what I see on these forums more often than not simply doesn't qualify.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

nothing,

the game is enjoyable in its own right.

bugs are expected, even WoW has them

sitting is actually there, just not cantina. other areas have chairs that you can sit in.

storyline is actually why I'm playing this and it's helluva fun. even the crappiest of quests kind of makes a little sense now

why bother collecting five rocks in WoW when you can collect them with a bit of a meaning behind it and then even kill the quest giver for making you go though this dull ordeal. I love it.

my only few concerns (though not even close to being flaws):

1 - bad performance on my PC when there are tons of people around

2 - if you explore everything and do the majority of quests, you'll easily outlevel your character, meaning that there won't be as much challenge on the next planet

3 - UI of course, but Im getting used to it

as for the atmosphere, the game is actually quite atmospheric. I just finished Balmorra and that was great! random spaceships in the sky and cannons shooting them. people running around trying to fight the war. it really felt like a planet in crisis. also beautiful landscapes and HUUUUGE area to explore. it took me whole day just to walk through the entire area and see everything. and i heard it's only going to get bigger

for a casual player with no interest in charging to 50 and doing the whole item grind, SWTOR is perfect!

I can't stand raiding or playing something just so i can get a better item and BioWare did a great job of removing this unnecessary part of gameplay

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

George Lucas was involved. I'm still mad about Jar-jar...

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Bioware talking utter rubbish and their attitude with dumb comments like "all mmo at this point have been a waste of time" but then i though,nope ill give them a chance.

Then came the beta weekends and that's when i realise that BioWare had made a single player co-op game that should of been called 'clone wars with voices' instead of swtor.

I have played mmo since UO/EQ and my experiance told me after playing two beta weekends that this game was doomed. Yes they have over a million subs but that was always going to happen because they have a giant fanbase that will always buy their games.

I said from the start that any true mmo players will not last long in swtor and the fanbase will be made up of single player bioware fans.

Now, as for the rabid fanboys on this forum who supported this game and shut down anyone who tried to tell them what the game was about,well more fool you for actually going with the hype.Some just followed the hype but some really got carried away and imo can never be taken seriously again.

What does it tell you about the gaming sites that gave this game over bloated reviews score.

This site gave it over bloated scores,what does that tell you about the staff who work for these sites,they have sold themselves down the river.

BioWare and Star Wars does not = win....

May i say it "we told you so" lmfao.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Not sure why you guys are so surprised. There hasnt been a good themepark since Vanguard and maybe Vanilla wow(and even that is a stretch). EQ1 pre-Luclin was truly the last good themepark, I think because they had no quests.

Quests have ruined themeparks.

-and even VG had trouble getting on its feet.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

so tell me... "when did you stop beating your wife?"

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158

The game screamed GENERIC at me the first hour I played it. Actually thought it got better and was best level 20-45. But the more I played the more game breaking idiotic game designs I found. Crafting is the prime example. As badly designed that crafting is at endgame, as badly designed is pretty much all of game.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

The big thing for me was not the game at all. I found that EU maintenance times egregious. I just simply could not support that. I had fun but it clearly did not have staying power so wasn't to bothered stepping away.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I was a little late to the game compared to most. I got it last weekend. I unsubbed 3 days later.

For me, it was just the absolute boredom I experienced. It's hard to put my finger on it. I mean, there was stuff to do, but it was completely uninteresting. Everything just felt... I dunno... clinical. Part of this could just be my preference for fantasy settings. I thought I might expand my horizons, since I like Star Wars, and since the game wasn't being developed by the same arm of Bioware that churned out that abomination, Dragon Age 2 I figured I'd give it a shot.

There just wasn't anything there to hook me. Nothing grabbed my attention and made me want to see what was coming up next. Games that I really enjoy have me anticipating playing them when I get off work. But I never felt that at all. I played a Republic Smuggler, because I favor the rogue archetype. I mean, how does one make the Han Solo class boring? Bioware sure pulled it off in spades, let me tell you!

I know people will tell me I should have tried other classes, but I count it as a mark against the game to make me play a class I don't enjoy just to get more interesting content. I don't want to be a jedi or Sith force user, mainly because it seems everyone else does. I don't like tanking or healing. What's left? Bounty Hunter? Too late to even try.

TOR pissed me off so bad, I've decided to resub to WoW to scratch my MMO itch. Oddly enough, I'm having a blast, and playing a Night Elf for the first time ever in almost 7 years of having the game.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

When they announced that it was going to be an MMO.  I love how people are going like OMFG TERA IS SO AWESOME ZOMG.  These were the same people who were probably saying AION IS SO AWESOME OMFG.  First hour of any game is always going to be awesome, because it is them most tested and everyone will have played it.  After you get past the early stuff you will hit the bugs guaranteed.

SWTOR isn't seriously flawed it is just flawed.  There is nothing serious about their flaws.  It's not like their flaws prevent you from doing anything.

• Didn't really come upon any super serious flaws when I played it, except that it felt too much like many other MMOs I've played. The most positive stuff I found to be the dialogues and the large amount of group content for people leveling. I think the constant grouping made leveling more fun compared to many other MMOs where you pretty much solo all the way to max level.

• BicRazorBicRazor Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by xDayx

Not sure why you guys are so surprised. There hasnt been a good themepark since Vanguard and maybe Vanilla wow(and even that is a stretch). EQ1 pre-Luclin was truly the last good themepark, I think because they had no quests.

Quests have ruined themeparks.

-and even VG had trouble getting on its feet.

I just resubbed my old Vanguard account and was happy to see my old toons sitting there waiting for me.

Took me a while to remember all my level 50 sorcerer skills.

I forgot how hard it can be fighting hard stuff having to use counter spells.It was like being in a tennis match was alot of fun.

Just got to find a new guild to join.

Huttball,Huttball,Huttball,Huttball over and over and over that's what did it for me and the end game pvp just wasn't fun.Space wasn't engaging  {mod edit}

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

I got seriously suspicious with the first screen shot TBH

When I saw the "stylized cartoon" graphics I just got the bad feeling they're going to copy WoW as much as possible

And after the continual jibber jabber about awesome VOed story I knew the game will not offer anything new than clunky "multiplayer" version of Kotor ...and boy was I right

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

For me it was the bland, lifeless environments with npc's standing static in places or even stuck in time as if caught in the middle of an action (see outside Jedi Temple, Tython). No weather, no night and day, no little critters running around, no flocks of birds in the sky.. to put a word to it, it felt soulless. Like I was walking through a painting rather than a developed world.

I actually didn't mind the combat that much, it was quite entertaining, even though it generally followed the same patterns every time - but then, what MMO doesn't? Another thing I did hate were the quest objectives, where every single one seemed to be, "Go over there and click a glowing object.". That was the best the quests could come up with. Fight through a load of mobs, probably get a bonus quest to kill X of them, then click a glowing object and come back.

Poor poor game. With a little more love and perhaps another 6-12 months in development it could have been good, but as it is.. no. I keep checking on it though as I'm a fan of Bioware's single player games, but I won't be touching it again until I see some major environment updates.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Well despite the graphics and the apparent over reliance on VO's i did in the end, give it a try, im not saying i regret doing so, because for over a month it did keep me relatively entertained..  and while i didnt reach end game - highest level char i attained was only level 30, i began to find that it was an effort to make myself play the game, and thats when i unsubbed. I still have 2 weeks sub left so i guess that means the game lasted 6 weeks or so, maybe when the game has had a bit more time to 'mature' i'll give it another go. But for the moment i have to say that Skyrim is just a lot more fun than SW:TOR is.. and while im waiting for TSW and Planetside 2, i guess i'll be playing more of that instead.image

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

When in 2008, they said the game would be closer to WoW than SWG.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

It may seem trivial to some but one of the biggest issues to me was the lifeless feel of the worlds. I got into the very first Hutta 01 testing squadron. I believe it was sometime in the summer of 2010. Anyway.

I, and a few others, have commented on the lifeless feel of the game, or at least Hutta, since we were restricted to only 1 planet. I didn't think much of it at the time being that the game was in early beta. I figured that they have more pressing issues to deal with and that they'll get it done closer to launch.

Last summer, I got into the Magid marketing focus group test, which didn't have any restrictions and we basically had the whole game available to us. I got to about level 35. The game felt just as lifeless. Again, I and many others, submitted our suggestions on the forums as well as the daily questionare we had to fill out. Didn't make huge deal about it since it was still beta and apparently we were playing an outdated build. So again, I figured that they'll get it done before launch. Launch came and the game is just as lifeless as it was during early beta in the summer of 2010.

In retrospect, I really question the point of those beta tests since it seems that a lot of the feedback was completely ignored. And I'm not just talking about the issue I wrote about in this post. There was a lot of great and detailed feedback by other testers on the beta forums. Stuff that could've really made this game shine and it was ignored as well.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by IAmMMO

When Bioware under EA announced they were making a Knights of the Old Republic MMO trying to be a single player and MMO at the same time.

Same as this, except more emphasis on 'EA' in that sentence.

• pausenpausen Member Posts: 10

when is saw the first screenshot years back

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Ironic, they said they had plans on making more chairs sittable...

So your one main straw that broke that cammel's back they're addressing...

What say you now OP?

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

If WoW had sitting this game would have sitting. and that sums up the game.

My blog: image