Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a new MMO.

KadellaKadella Member Posts: 2

Lets see..where to start. Well as the tiel says I need a new MMO. Ive played WoW since release and after BC everything kinda started going downhill imo. Don't get me wrong WoW isnt the only MMo ive played in this period of time. Ive played WoW, SW:tor, Lord of the rings online, Champions online and Guild wars one. None of them seemed to hold my intrest like original wow did. Now with what I want/ dont want from an MMo so maybe you guys can help.

What I started to not like about WoW is that it started to cater to casual gamers.  I remember when you had to put forth effort learning boss fights to get epics. Now i can run a few heroics a week and keep up with raiders. Dont get me wrong you cant get heroic gear with badges but that brings me to another issue. The dungeon finder kinda runied the server wide community. Sure it made it easier for people who couldnt spend time spamming in a city to find a group but now you ahrdly know anyone on your server due to not having to group with servermates.

SW:tor the whole modification system ruined it for me. I was at level 32 using the same lightsaber i got at 10 just with bettr mods from commidations. Getting better gear was what kept me want to level and quest but now that i dont really get better gear i just swap out mods made it boring and gave me very little to work twords. This might change at higher levels but by level 25 i wasnt having fun and forced my self to keep going thinking it would get better.

Lotro and champions online lacked the immersion i was looking for and i would rather pay a monthly fee and have everything rather than microtransactions to get a little here or there.

What i want with an MMO

1.a game that doesnt cater to casuals. I want it to be worth investing time in. Kinda like vanilla wow. I hate the new badge system that allows everyone to get super geared.

2.I dont want something easy like SW:tor i expect to die as i level where as in SW:TOR when i hit 32 i hadn't died one other than in PvP

3.i want a game i can dump a lot of time into and i dont want it to be things that i dont find interesting like wow's achievement system or somehting like archeology.

4.i like the "trinity" (tank healer dps) I knwo some poeple hate it but i like it.

p.s. sorry for the wall of text.

edit: right after i posted this i found the LFGame section here sorry for posting in the pub

Comments

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

Well you can try Tera Online wich is going to be released soon.

Or wait for Guild wars 2.

Have you tried Rift?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Lineage 2 or 3 when its launched but be warned about the bots.

Looks great but was never my thing too grindy.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Vanguard is very good.Slow leveling,proper crafting and diplomacy.Also the stories you can read from NPC's are very good and conversations in diplomacy.The downside is you feel like they let the game die with no chance of new content and a lack of a playerbase.Why oh why make EQ and EQ2 F2P and not VG? It needs players way more,pull your finger out SOE! :)

• KadellaKadella Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Home15

Have you tried Rift?

I havent tried it personally but a few RL friends did and they didnt like it so i stayed away. As for guild wars 2 ive been thinking about trying it. I didnt really like the low level cap in GW. (i think it was 20. only played the original no exp.) All of that could change in GW2 so im willing to give it a shot. Ive also been watching tera but im not liking the "action based" combat. I <3 my RNG.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

My 3 friends and I tried Rift and while it's an OK game none of us was overly impressed.  It just seemed more of the same old MMO stuff we've seen in the last 5 or 6 years, but you may as well give it a try and see for yourself. 

One of the most annoying things when we played was that while Rifts opening up sounds great, it gets to be a pain in the arse when one opens up near you while you're questing.  Virtually no-one bothers to turn up and help kill the influx of mobs and then close the the Rift, so that means your questing in that area is often screwed completely.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Aion should go Free2play soon, so you can try that out. It definetly requires you to invest a lot of time in it

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

You can sub to Lotro and get everything like it was before free to play except the expansions like mines of moria but it takes a bit before you get there (and out of it lol) It becomes a lot more fun around 16, before that the game holds your hand and doesnt really let go. Also play on roleplay servers. Those servers have more players and the general feel off the game is better.

If you are looking to spend time DC universe is now free to play, its one of the most fun games i have ever played. The combat system and story is really epic. It's a superhero game though but you can create your own hero or villain. You get most costume parts while playing the game as rewards as they are incorporated in the gear you get. The new pvp and pve option is great to, you can just pop over to pvp if you want a fight or if you had enough pop back for some safe playtime. The 'tutorial' is a bit crap (actually a lot) and doesnt change for hero or villains instead of the person who will guide you around with voice overs but it gets A LOT better after that so dont let it deter you. (also press F for travel powers)

Star trek online is free to play now aswell, i played a bit of beta and retail. I really liked the combat back then but found the game needed a few more patches so i unsubbed, havent tried since mostly because of the crap internet i got preventing from downloading it. The story is fun its star trek after all and the ships and their abilitys are pretty varied, space combat though. So its different then the regular MMO but appealing. But i had a lot of fun with it, leveling is nicely paced, and you get to change ships when you get to certain levels with bigger shields, crew slots so you really have something to work towards.

Eve online has seen a LOT of recent changes recently due to the general populace crying havoc about the stop of development for it in favor of another game. The graphics have all been updated recently, from space vistas to ships to the interface, weapon animations and warp tunnels. It has also become a lot more new player friendly. This is the pinnacle of time spending, the game is pretty much build on it. You train skills in real time that allow you to do various things, from flying better ships to doing more damage with weapons, better repair abilties unlocking tech 2 devices and oh god so much more. It it so different from other mmos that most people cant handle the shock and silently skulk away after the trial ends. If you want to try it then do the following. You can easily get the trial from the site. You can also go on the forums and get a 20 day trial from a current eve player most time with free money ingame to get you started, if you sub at the end of the trial they get a free month of play so hence the freebies. In game join the Eve University, they offer the best new player experience in the game out of anything else, they will get you into the game. (also play caldari as a new char, its the most forgiving in the end)

Cant think of any other fun mmo's next to the ones already mentioned by others but take a look at some other games that arent really mmo's but are online and have progression skills.

Dungeon defenders is really fun, the tower defense idea is fantastic. You can place turrets and defenses and have weapons of your own aswell which are pretty powerfull to defend the dungeon crystal with. The classes are diverse, compliment eachother pretty nicely and its graphics are really beautifull. (a serious must try if you have the cash)

If you like shooters then Battlefield 3 is an option, i really have no idea why people bash it but its a great game. You work towards unlocking weapons for every class you spend time in and getting points and you unlock various specials trough normal rank progression aswell. And it takes a while before you have stuff you want, gotta work for the good stuff!

Hope this helps a little, and eh. Sorry for the lengthy post!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Kadella

Have you tried Rift?

I havent tried it personally but a few RL friends did and they didnt like it so i stayed away. As for guild wars 2 ive been thinking about trying it. I didnt really like the low level cap in GW. (i think it was 20. only played the original no exp.) All of that could change in GW2 so im willing to give it a shot. Ive also been watching tera but im not liking the "action based" combat. I <3 my RNG.

Sure GW2 has upped the level cap to 80 but I doubt you'd enjoy it, because it mostly goes against what you want.

1. You don't want a game that caters to casual, yet GW2 will be very casual friendly and in a good way.

2. Well GW2 will have a lot of challenge for those that want it. Just do higher level content.

3. You want a timesink,but GW2 will do away with timesinks and it can get away with that, because it lacks a subscription fee.

4. You love the Holy Trinity... well tough sh*t. They are doing away with it completely. Which is why everyone's best healer in GW2 is themselves.

There's also the action-oriented combat and the fact that everyone get's boosted to level 80 and is given on all the weapons, gear and skills they need to compete on equal footing. To you, all that may seem like a terrible game for carebears, but to me it's "Game of the Year". ^_^

• Arawulf2Arawulf2 Member Posts: 14

Lets see..where to start. Well as the tiel says I need a new MMO. Ive played WoW since release and after BC everything kinda started going downhill imo. Don't get me wrong WoW isnt the only MMo ive played in this period of time. Ive played WoW, SW:tor, Lord of the rings online, Champions online and Guild wars one. None of them seemed to hold my intrest like original wow did. Now with what I want/ dont want from an MMo so maybe you guys can help.

What I started to not like about WoW is that it started to cater to casual gamers.  I remember when you had to put forth effort learning boss fights to get epics. Now i can run a few heroics a week and keep up with raiders. Dont get me wrong you cant get heroic gear with badges but that brings me to another issue. The dungeon finder kinda runied the server wide community. Sure it made it easier for people who couldnt spend time spamming in a city to find a group but now you ahrdly know anyone on your server due to not having to group with servermates.

SW:tor the whole modification system ruined it for me. I was at level 32 using the same lightsaber i got at 10 just with bettr mods from commidations. Getting better gear was what kept me want to level and quest but now that i dont really get better gear i just swap out mods made it boring and gave me very little to work twords. This might change at higher levels but by level 25 i wasnt having fun and forced my self to keep going thinking it would get better.

Lotro and champions online lacked the immersion i was looking for and i would rather pay a monthly fee and have everything rather than microtransactions to get a little here or there.

What i want with an MMO

1.a game that doesnt cater to casuals. I want it to be worth investing time in. Kinda like vanilla wow. I hate the new badge system that allows everyone to get super geared.

2.I dont want something easy like SW:tor i expect to die as i level where as in SW:TOR when i hit 32 i hadn't died one other than in PvP

3.i want a game i can dump a lot of time into and i dont want it to be things that i dont find interesting like wow's achievement system or somehting like archeology.

4.i like the "trinity" (tank healer dps) I knwo some poeple hate it but i like it.

p.s. sorry for the wall of text.

edit: right after i posted this i found the LFGame section here sorry for posting in the pub

A game that doesn't cater to casuals will always suffer from less subs which = less development dollars.  What is best is a game that is accessible by all but as hard as you want it to be to do some of the more advanced tasks.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

I doubt that guild wars 2 would be your game... It might be too casual for you. but we can't know until we tried. right?

You can still give it a shot when it goes into public Beta! I think you definitely should.

I don't really know what else there is to try honestly.. the MMO world is boring to me lately.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Well from what i can see your definitely not going to like guild wars 2, they clearly stated that thats based for casuals and can make it very possible because of no subscription fee. The problem is that there are alot more casual players lately then hardcore and more players = more profit. Having said that there are still games that cater to casuals/ hardcore players aswell. If i was you i would first try RIFT, then Dragon Nest for something different. Then go to TERA online when thats out, and would wait for Archeage, and play that as your main game. Sounds like it has a more hardcore/ alternative systems from whats been said/ noted about it so far.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Master10K

Have you tried Rift?

Sure GW2 has upped the level cap to 80 but I doubt you'd enjoy it, because it mostly goes against what you want.

1. You don't want a game that caters to casual, yet GW2 will be very casual friendly and in a good way.

2. Well GW2 will have a lot of challenge for those that want it. Just do higher level content.

3. You want a timesink,but GW2 will do away with timesinks and it can get away with that, because it lacks a subscription fee.

4. You love the Holy Trinity... well tough sh*t. They are doing away with it completely. Which is why everyone's best healer in GW2 is themselves.

There's also the action-oriented combat and the fact that everyone get's boosted to level 80 and is given on all the weapons, gear and skills they need to compete on equal footing. To you, all that may seem like a terrible game for carebears, but to me it's "Game of the Year". ^_^

'Game of the year'? Without ever having played it? Wow, who ever said faith in advertising was dead?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Xstyles

Aion should go Free2play soon, so you can try that out. It definetly requires you to invest a lot of time in it

I would agree with Aion.

The joy of fresh servers with a matured game is a strong draw.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by Master10K

Have you tried Rift?

'Game of the year'? Without ever having played it? Wow, who ever said faith in advertising was dead?

I have faith in the substantial amount of gameplay, player impressions and info I have available to me, not advertising. Anyway, I'll probably have a chance to try it out for myself next month, so we'll see if it is Game of the Year material.

• bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

I've been having a decent time playing the starter area in Ryzom, getting set to move to the 'mainland' ... . it is only sub until after you get your skills up to 125, which is quite a generous trial. It doesn't have the best newest flashiest graphics, but they aren't bad. It is a true sandbox'r - you have to grind mobs for materials to craft and so on... while levelling fighting, magic, harvesting, crafting skills etc,. -   if you like that kinda gameplay you will like Ryzom.

(*No - I'm not a shill - although MODS would like to think I am spamming ads for this game or w.ever. ... I'm just an oldschool gamer looking for something different until something different comes along ...)

- B916