Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you ruined me SWTOR, you ruined me

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Playing the guild wars 2 demo 'ruined' ToR for me in the exact same way as the OP experienced :)

ToR was still worth playing, but i simply have a much higher standards for what i expect from an MMO after those 40 minutes of MMO heaven :p

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by eddieg50

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

Cool writeup.. sadly I am still looking for my "permanent home" .... although I think I have accepted for me that will never happen in MMOs.

Happy for you that you found yours !!! - Currently I am finding attachment with Kingdom of Amalur... pretty fun stuff. ( although single player )

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

[mod edit]

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

omg a positive post everyone call the super hater team to spam up the thread with negativity and hate!

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by Zlayer77

The real sad things though is that all of you who like the game Lack any Sence of vision.. or want anny type of Innovation. You are happy just to have VOs.. and linear progression that is all that is needed for you to fork up money..

For alot of us this isent Enough.. we want other things then VOs and boring kills quest, running RAids over and over.. And if you like Riads, doing quest and levling, Guess what you can do it for free.. or for a one time Fee like GW2. Its lucky for Bioware that there are people like you, makes their jobb easy, they just have to copy paste and they are done.

But dont expect the rest of us to respect anyone of you for playing this game. We dont.. you know all those old cartoons when someone gets played or are made out to be a fool.. They get a lollipop over their head "SUCKER" that is how the reast of us see when we read your posts.. And if you like to be the laughing stock of the Internet.. Go right ahead...

I never realized that there are people out there that take their 'MMO' this seriously.

Respect for playing an MMO? lolwut?

I play EvE what did you expect...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Originally posted by Zlayer77

The real sad things though is that all of you who like the game Lack any Sence of vision.. or want anny type of Innovation. You are happy just to have VOs.. and linear progression that is all that is needed for you to fork up money..

Dont' tell me what I lack or what I want.

Life is not that black and white. Or should I just introduce you to people who think that anyone playing video games needs do grow up?

There is alwasy someone who is going to judge the stuff you like as lesser. "Don't be that guy".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

[mod edit]

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Kanester

Originally posted by Bunks

Originally posted by Kanester

Been loving SWTOR Since Beta, The game is great but lately I have been growing tired of it. My main problem is I don't have to leave the fleet (Unless I Want to do Illum). At 50 I don't see any lush green grass or Open worlds. Its all making me feel quite depressed.

To have a ship as the capital and not a large city on an open world is a big mistake imo.

We need reason to go back to other planets.

You sound like a rational person, can you answer a question for me. Did the feeling hit you at a certain point(level specific) or was it a slow process? Seems a large group of peope, more than any otehr game I have ever payed attention to, is having these same reactions. IS it something fixable is what I really would like to know. Some things can be and some times they just can't.

Only hit me after a few weeks of level 50. I don't think it is fixable not until a major expansion anyway. I'm still enjoying the game. But if I'm not raiding I'm just in the fleet.

Thanks

So for you its really end game stuff. My son hit that wall at 30 and said it just got boring as heck, but being young he couldn't be specific. He did say the world felt dead, but what you're describing sounds more like not enough content.

Ill give you my opinion if interested.  I am subbed to Star Wars and a huge fan of lore since I grew up with it.  TOR was awesome the first few weeks as it merged great RPG elements with a great story.  The voice overs added drama and the story was interesting.  I started to lose interest at level 24 on Nar Shardaa.  It was here I started to feel the underlying mechanic and realized each planet (up to now) was just a set of corridors.  It bugged me that people milling around I couldnt talk to.  I couldnt free explore and felt 'trapped'  The story is still good and will probably finish my Jedi Sentinel story

I have also tried LOTRO (great graphics and gameplay engine but just couldnt get into the lore of the game - though Im a fan here too).  I ended up subbing to Everquest 2, which provided the gameplay experience I was looking for.  Open world, complex asset management, go anywhere, and gameplay where I could choose how fast I level thus controlling my challenge.

I am interested in seeing what BioWare has in the next few years in terms of expansions.  If they can get more story content with vo in frequent succession then I will come back.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story.... 

Were the stories really that great? I didn't think so... I put them below a Clone War cartoon plot really.

If you hate reading to the point voice over made this big a impact on you, because SWTOR dosen't have any more story then other MMO (it just has a lot of VO), then I can only say this is your game.

I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that. 

Really? Social point impacted you THAT deeply? To the point where you grouped when you 'rarely'grouped before in other games?

Wow...

I am glad you like SWTOR, but if heavy VO has 'ruined' you I would say, after SWTOR has proved the investment in $$$ it requires isn't worth the return, you won't see many more MMORPGs made this way for a long long time.

[mod edit]

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by Theodwulf

"This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken. "

What story line were you playing? I do not remember any real twists to the plot as a Jedi Knight. It was pretty cliche and the dialogue was cringe inducing in it's awefullness, especially the Kira Carsen dialogue.

" I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. "

Realy, you have played that many MMOs for that long and you weren't big into grouping?

" a similar but better combat system than Wow. "

Realy..How so? Could you explain what you mean by "Better"?

"The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , ""

"Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another. "

which is it?  I thought you were..."Enjoying it"?

I am glad you are liking the game BUT I shall not alow you to misrepresent your product

I agree with this post.

There is something rather suspect both in the gushing tone and bizarre inconsistencies of the thread starter. Oh well, perhaps English isn't their first language.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by nerovipus32

The story in swtor isn't even that interesting.

Right because this is a fact...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Vesavius

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story.... 

Were the stories really that great? I didn't think so... I put them below a Clone War cartoon plot really.

If you hate reading to the point voice over made this big a impact on you, because SWTOR dosen't have any more story then other MMO (it just has a lot of VO), then I can only say this is your game.

I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that. 

Really? Social point impacted you THAT deeply? To the point where you grouped when you 'rarely'grouped before in other games?

Wow...

I am glad you like SWTOR, but if heavy VO has 'ruined' you I would say, after SWTOR has proved the investment in $$$ it requires isn't worth the return, you won't see many more MMORPGs made this way for a long long time.

Well we still have a few fully voiced MMO's coming up, so considering that TOR isn't the only game that will decide such a future for this genre.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

[mod edit]

My point is that just because someone likes something that is a bit more pedestrian, doesn't mean they don't have other tastes. It's not a "black and white world".

Sorry, but as far as off the wall, avante garde taste, I'm pretty much with the small niche group at the top. Does that mean I should point to you and start pointing out how banal the things that you like can be?

And besides, preference is for games like Lineage 2  at launch.

But that doesn't mean that I dont' see the fun that a game like SWToR can have for those willing to kick back.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

[mod edit]

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Seriously if i want a good story in my game i'll play a single player game..thats the purpose they serve.

I wish all great singleplayer games had at least 4 player coop :/

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

[mod edit]

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Autorock

I'd say he is representing it accurately. The doom and gloom is misrepresenting, the people saying it's worse than wow are misrepresenting the game. It's a solid game, this site just breeds contempt towards anything, people have nothing better to do than bash every game that gets released. Most of the people enjoying a game are too busy enjoying it to bother posting on here. But the sandwich boarders flock shortly after every release trying to convince people not to buy a certain release for no apparent reason other than the fact they have absolutely nothing to do.

[mod edit] And speaking of accuracy - opinions are alot of things but most of the time they're not accurate and especially not the Op's.

SWTOR sucked me in and I was a big fanboi here on the forums (just ask anyone) and when I hit 50 it was like reaching for that delicious glass of coke I had poured 4 hours ago and getting a swig of FLAT.

Anyone hanging around after 50 is either an altaholic or very easily enterained. This is my opinion which is shared by many many people which all have lots to do but feel it their duty to warn future SWTOR customers before they buy a big shiny turd like we did.

At least I didn't buy the CE :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Accuracy and opinions are exclusive. They're opinions. They don't have to be accurate.  I can say 2+2=7 in my opinion. It is neither innaccurate nor accurate. It is an opinion. Now..your opinion may be I'm full of shit. That is also neither fact nor fiction.  Just another opinion. You may question the mathematical elements of my opinion but again..the opinion itself...as a whole...is neither right nor wrong just because someone agrees or disagrees with said opinion. All this is , as you may have already guessed, my opinion.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Vesavius

Wow...

Well we still have a few fully voiced MMO's coming up, so considering that TOR isn't the only game that will decide such a future for this genre.

Yeah, it will be interesting thats for sure...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

[mod edit]

• ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

While I'm happy you like SWTOR and having not played it myself have nothing good or bad to say about the game itself,  I can't help but find such an over dramatic melodrama type post kind of creepy.   It may be a great game but please tell me you typed this using both your hands.  We can almost hear you panting in this thing.