Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you ruined me SWTOR, you ruined me

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

Comments

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

"This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken. "

What story line were you playing? I do not remember any real twists to the plot as a Jedi Knight. It was pretty cliche and the dialogue was cringe inducing in it's awefullness, especially the Kira Carsen dialogue.

" I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. "

Realy, you have played that many MMOs for that long and you weren't big into grouping?

" a similar but better combat system than Wow. "

Realy..How so? Could you explain what you mean by "Better"?

"The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , ""

"Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another. "

which is it?  I thought you were..."Enjoying it"?

I am glad you are liking the game BUT I shall not alow you to misrepresent your product

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Theodwulf

"This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken. "

What story line were you playing? I do not remember any real twists to the plot as a Jedi Knight. It was pretty cliche and the dialogue was cringe inducing in it's awefullness, especially the Kira Carsen dialogue.

" I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. "

Realy, you have played that many MMOs for that long and you weren't big into grouping?

"Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another. "

I am glad you are liking the game BUT I shall not alow you to misrepresent your product

what he said :)

..Cake..

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I too would like more specific details as ALL the points eddie puts forth for us to indulge our curiosity in sound like fantasies. I played SWTOR in Beta, didn't buy the game because I knew how bad it was, and then sat down for an hour on my nephew's account only to walk away shaking my head.

The game, as stated by Theodwulf, is in-fact "cringe worthy". Granted I took the part about you talking about DIALOGUE being cringe worthy & ramped it up to be the ENTIRE game being cringe worthy, but you get my point I hope.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'd say he is representing it accurately. The doom and gloom is misrepresenting, the people saying it's worse than wow are misrepresenting the game. It's a solid game, this site just breeds contempt towards anything, people have nothing better to do than bash every game that gets released. Most of the people enjoying a game are too busy enjoying it to bother posting on here. But the sandwich boarders flock shortly after every release trying to convince people not to buy a certain release for no apparent reason other than the fact they have absolutely nothing to do.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by eddieg50

Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

The game hasent even been out for two months.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

i played the beta (not open i played Closed on the first day it opened) at that point the game was good. seriously, then they systematically removed all i liked about the game.  and it made me quit, the game was good and had some very good points going for it. it just removed what i liked about it.

The game plays about as good as a standard MMO so using words like Cringe Worthy is ridiculas and over exadurated. so yeah, this game can be amazing to you if you like the WoW with a voice over and no Auto attack (after all the stuff i loved was removed that is all that was left) then this game is exactly what your looking for.

Me however, TSW is looking much more appealing at this stage.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Autorock

I'd say he is representing it accurately. The doom and gloom is misrepresenting, the people saying it's worse than wow are misrepresenting the game. It's a solid game, this site just breeds contempt towards anything, people have nothing better to do than bash every game that gets released. Most of the people enjoying a game are too busy enjoying it to bother posting on here. But the sandwich boarders flock shortly after every release trying to convince people not to buy a certain release for no apparent reason other than the fact they have absolutely nothing to do.

You could also flip that around and say that the board is full of people trying to justify their own purchase of a bad game. You is obviously not enjoying it as he is on here trying to justify it, right?

People discuss games on here that they have played and most of the time give an accurate description of what they liked or disliked in a game. Sure theres a few people that like troll, but when a lot of people seem to be on the same boat about a game well then that boat has sailed.

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by LadyNoh

i played the beta (not open i played Closed on the first day it opened) at that point the game was good. seriously, then they systematically removed all i liked about the game.  and it made me quit, the game was good and had some very good points going for it. it just removed what i liked about it.

The game plays about as good as a standard MMO so using words like Cringe Worthy is ridiculas and over exadurated. so yeah, this game can be amazing to you if you like the WoW with a voice over and no Auto attack (after all the stuff i loved was removed that is all that was left) then this game is exactly what your looking for.

What features did they remove that you liked? 

• wmbyrnewmbyrne Member Posts: 35

LOL, December 20, 2011, you sure know the "math", he might be short by 9 days, but really do you have to pick at nits. 

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

So you are enjoying the game and yet you try to play other mmos, only to find out that they are not like star wars? 

Why would you even try other mmos if swtor gives you a climax everytime you get on it?

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I play a Sith inquisitor/sorcerer and there is a ton of political intrigue , backstabbing, making new friends than cheating on them, playing your companion like a violin etc. I only played the light side briefly in beta so I cannot talk about their storyline.

with the Sith , you were competing with a student brought in by your superior who was training this student to get ahead so he could eventually kill his superior, she found out about it and had both the student and his superior killed-delicious-and then I had the option of killing her but chose not to and instead am following her path.  Great , Great story line.

I don't like playing follow the leader so much in grouping games, with the exception of Shadowbane which again another game with great suspense. In shadow you really had to play in groups or get CRUSHED.  SWTOR is nothing like Shadow but they bring together small groups for short play times with social points usually involved-to ME this is fun grouping.

The combat in swtor is a bit better prob due to technology, I find the animations a bit brighter, the moves a bit more fun, I love shooting lightning from my finger tips and I find the sound of combat a bit more thrilling.

I an enjoying SWTOR , immensely so , that does not mean I cannot try other games LOL. I play many games, Right now I am playing Skyrim and Deau Ex, are they the same NO but they are both fun, If you want to stick to one game your whole life than so be it.

Are you sure you did not play a Sith Inquisitor cause you sound like one LOL,   I hope with your approval I have represented my game::)

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Even if wow had cutscenes and voice overs the story leaves alot to be desired although the 2 new classes have better stories, you really cannot beat the story line of swtor or lotro imo

Originally posted by sammyeli

So you are enjoying the game and yet you try to play other mmos, only to find out that they are not like star wars? 

Why would you even try other mmos if swtor gives you a climax everytime you get on it?

good question,   Just my nature, I play several games at once, that is my way to have fun by diversity

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Have you hit level 30 yet? Seems there is a sweet spot for people who all of a sudden lose interest in the game.

Pages and pages of people saying they suddenly lost all interest to play anymore, for many reasons, but the majority just say the game gets dull and boring at that point. One guy even said he paid 6 months sub on the 20th and by the 24th of January, never logged in again.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=286099

Would love to play it myself just to see what it is that is causing this sudden loss of interest, but I'll have to wait till its either f2p or has a free trial to satisy my curiosity.

• VedraVedra Member Posts: 19

Trying way too hard.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I don't get it. Why try other MMO's if you love it so much? I am confussled!

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Bunks

Have you hit level 30 yet? Seems there is a sweet spot for people who all of a sudden lose interest in the game.

Pages and pages of people saying they suddenly lost all interest to play anymore, for many reasons, but the majority just say the game gets dull and boring at that point. One guy even said he paid 6 months sub on the 20th and by the 24th of January, never logged in again.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=286099

Would love to play it myself just to see what it is that is causing this sudden loss of interest, but I'll have to wait till its either f2p or has a free trial to satisy my curiosity.

Okay. I think it fairly safe to say every single mmo has pages of people ( relative to their subscriber/player base ) expressing a sudden burn out.

Why will you have to wait for F2P? I didn't realize that SWTOR was currently unavailable until F2P is planned.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by aktalat

While I don't particularly enjoy SWTOR, I was part of the beta but decided against continuing when the game went live, I realize you're happy and that's what's most important.

The best game is the one YOU enjoy playing, and that's the fact.

Years ago I dated a woman played The SIMS constantly, it drove me insane but she really enjoyed it. So if you enjoy SWTOR stick with it and congrats on finding a game you can play whenever you want.

That's why people play MMO right?? image

Nuff Said!

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Fangrim

I don't get it. Why try other MMO's if you love it so much? I am confussled!

because not everyone plays like you choose to, or I choose to. Some people never roll an alt and play 1 character 1-max and some play lots of charcter all the time. 

Some people play many games at once! Golly gosh.

This is the worst forum to start a positive thread on a game, the trolls appetite here is insatiable.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

No, it's people don't like it when other people try to paint a picture that simply isn't true.

ALOT of people are upset about SWTOR because outside of it's single player vo'd story it's a giant POS.

Swtor combat is atrocious as far as I am concerned.  The balance between classes especially between ranged and melee is pathetic.  Almost every class has a KNOCKBACK!  WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.  Really?  Who thought this would be a good idea.  Hey mr. ranged.  I'll be a good boy and not use force charge to get to you since I know you'll just knock me back when I get there.  I'll be snared and lose 40% of my hp by the time I get to you, but it's all good.  Once I get to you im gonna stove your face in.  BAM! KNOCKBACK.  Ok force charge is ready cuz I R TEH SMART.  Woosh.  HUZZAH!  Force charged ya punk.  ReeeeReeeeRaaaaaahhhhhhhh, ranged sprints away at warp speed.  Stares at the ground in anger, frustration.  Maybe a lone tear trickles down the left cheek.  Ok.  Brushes off shoulder.  Here we go again....and the cycle of imbalance continues.

That is just one mini-story of a melee class going up against a particular ranged class.  I could do more, but why bother.

People are upset BECAUSE FOR 200 MILLION DOLLARS AND 6 FRICKING YEARS................................

we expected more.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

welcome to single player RPGs

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

How is he misrepresenting the product by telling us he likes the game?

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Been loving SWTOR Since Beta, The game is great but lately I have been growing tired of it. My main problem is I don't have to leave the fleet (Unless I Want to do Illum). At 50 I don't see any lush green grass or Open worlds. Its all making me feel quite depressed.

To have a ship as the capital and not a large city on an open world is a big mistake imo.

We need reason to go back to other planets.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Kanester

Been loving SWTOR Since Beta, The game is great but lately I have been growing tired of it. My main problem is I don't have to leave the fleet (Unless I Want to do Illum). At 50 I don't see any lush green grass or Open worlds. Its all making me feel quite depressed.

To have a ship as the capital and not a large city on an open world is a big mistake imo.

We need reason to go back to other planets.

You sound like a rational person, can you answer a question for me. Did the feeling hit you at a certain point(level specific) or was it a slow process? Seems a large group of peope, more than any otehr game I have ever payed attention to, is having these same reactions. IS it something fixable is what I really would like to know. Some things can be and some times they just can't.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

It's funny because the same thing happened to me this weekend when I played the TERA beta.  Even though I had played on the Korean servers a few months ago and really enjoyed the game, when I was playing it yesterday going back to quest text felt like a huge step back for me.   I actually stopped playing on the Korean servers because since I couldn't read the quests I just went to Exclaimation Mark > Kill Nearby Enemies/Touch Things Nearby > Question Mark and that got annoying after a while so I decided to wait for the NA release.  The funny thing is having the quests in English didn't change anything, I still did the same damn thing!

I love the combat system and graphics in TERA but I HUGELY missed the story driven content of TOR.  It went from a "sure buy" to "maybe in a few months".