Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is a Cute game

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by I_Return

when I look at Tera images and videos, I think Sexy , not cute.

Yep, but when you play it you hear the sound effects of creatures and see how mobs act, they tend to lean toward cute.  Same with the music, it's nice but has a Disney movie whimsical feel to it.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I hated having to fight mu mus in Aion.. and i would hate fighting cute monsters in this game as well. Just destroys immersion for me. I like more serious fantasy. Tolkieen, EQ or Conan.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by elocke

Yep, but when you play it you hear the sound effects of creatures and see how mobs act, they tend to lean toward cute.  Same with the music, it's nice but has a Disney movie whimsical feel to it.

There is only one animal that makes a cute sound. Its those little thingies on the island of dawn lol.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

as long as the boobs have good physics, cute is not a game breaker. /snicker

Oh, I agree.  That's why I refuse to roll a male character unless I have to, like the Popori race or that other one. The fat one.  Can't help but roll female Castanics and high elf females to watch the....animation...in full bloom../rofl

Sorry, made myself laugh there....hahahahaha,....yeah....anywho....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

yeah, I guess the game is cute... I just wish they besides the sexy armors at least put in a few sensible ones as well.

I don´t mind revealing armors but they should always be an option, not a must.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I wouldn't really call ti action combat, its bascally world of warcrafts combat system just that you have to keep a cursor on the mob. Its really not much diffrent than just clicking them really. Now if the attacks and skills don't autohit if the target moves out of range after they are cast then its more actiony, but if your locked into getting hit for all the hits of that skill if even 1 connects, then its just no diff than a generic wow-like mmo. I'd be able to tell if I got into beta. I been thinking of buying tera but I wanna try it before I buy, been burned on to many shitty mmo's and such by listening to the hype.

I'mm play a female Elin, just so I can be a cute catgirl loli with a HUGE ass axe. Kinda wish they didn't censor them for the US release, their gear was not that bad.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Loke666

yeah, I guess the game is cute... I just wish they besides the sexy armors at least put in a few sensible ones as well.
    I don´t mind revealing armors but they should always be an option, not a must.

problem is that the games equipment system is f2p like in how basic it is. not much room for customization, when theres so little variety of any kind at all. its got a tiered system, where you get a new look every few levels, but just one, for each level range. might open up at higher level, but i doubt it..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Siveria

I wouldn't really call ti action combat, its bascally world of warcrafts combat system just that you have to keep a cursor on the mob. Its really not much diffrent than just clicking them really. Now if the attacks and skills don't autohit if the target moves out of range after they are cast then its more actiony, but if your locked into getting hit for all the hits of that skill if even 1 connects, then its just no diff than a generic wow-like mmo. I'd be able to tell if I got into beta. I been thinking of buying tera but I wanna try it before I buy, been burned on to many shitty mmo's and such by listening to the hype.

I'mm play a female Elin, just so I can be a cute catgirl loli with a HUGE ass axe. Kinda wish they didn't censor them for the US release, their gear was not that bad.

Maybe you should have actually played the game before commenting.

Most skills will miss if the person moves or dodges, only a select few lock-on skills will autohit. For combo skills, getting 1 hit of a combo doesnt guarantee that the rest of the combo will hit.

The censoring changes it from g-strings to very short hotpants. They may as well have not bothered censoring at all, especially with all the clevage hanging out.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Attacks are based on a hitbox.  If you begin an attack and are too far away at the beginning you will miss but if you finally get close enough say at the end of a chain those hits will connect.  Or vice versa, so you aren't guaranteed hits based on simply having a target in your crosshairs.  That said, there are certain skill which work specifically off a lock-on but those are almost all ranged attacks that are limited by distance and can even have reduced effects/damage if you are too far away.  They are also based on a timer so if you don't fire them off in a certain amount of time after locking on it will require you to reacquire the lock.  These type of skills are few and far between though and tend to have longer CD timers so you can't rely on them to do the majority of your work.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by miguksaram

Attacks are based on a hitbox.  If you begin an attack and are too far away at the beginning you will miss but if you finally get close enough say at the end of a chain those hits will connect.  Or vice versa, so you aren't guaranteed hits based on simply having a target in your crosshairs.  That said, there are certain skill which work specifically off a lock-on but those are almost all ranged attacks that are limited by distance and can even have reduced effects/damage if you are too far away.  They are also based on a timer so if you don't fire them off in a certain amount of time after locking on it will require you to reacquire the lock.  These type of skills are few and far between though and tend to have longer CD timers so you can't rely on them to do the majority of your work.

Ahh cool that gets rid of one worry, so if a guy starts pummeling me I can just try to get out of it to dodge the rest of the hits, good I like that. Also your forgetting one of the rules of asian/japanese mmo's. Its really a picture but, don't feel like uploading but it bascally it has a girl in scantily clad armor and it says "Armor class: the less it covers the higher the AC"

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    This game has the clunkiest "action" combat I've experienced. Even ftp titles (Dragon Nest) have much better/smoother combat. Add in the WoW look to the game and I can't imagine that anyone would pay a sub for this.
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Mardukk

This game has the clunkiest "action" combat I've experienced. Even ftp titles (Dragon Nest) have much better/smoother combat.

That's because DN is a peer-to-peer game. Without getting into the specifics, DN is smooth because it can be, there is only up to X players in a local combat area at one time. The more objects going spaztic in the presence of say, 20 people, the more likely that nobody will have an idea what is going on until the lag fart ends.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Well if you have played DN and then this game it will be a letdown. The main selling point is action combat and this is not very good action combat. I would blame lag but most of it was silly design choices.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Well if you have played DN and then this game it will be a letdown. The main selling point is action combat and this is not very good action combat. I would blame lag but most of it was silly design choices.

Get a slayer or warrior to level 20 and learn to use and set up your combos properly, your opinion might change rather quickly.

And at higher levels you can get speed boost glyphs and whatnot.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Well if you have played DN and then this game it will be a letdown.

This is true, but only because most people have no idea how things work, nor the concessions that need to be made to make a game of this scope.

Tell me, though... is the funneled and repeated nature of Dragon's Nest worth how fun it is to actually pilot?

Awesome combat, and imo, terrible world dynamics. You can have either/or, maybe both if you're willing to take a hit in either department.

Though, it's not impossible to have a DN-style game that doesn't suck. It's like nobody in the industry has played Castlevania: II, Simon's Quest. The level design in that game is 20 years old and can still apply to these kinds of games.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by NBlitz

I see TERA, F2P, TERA, F2P and I just shake my head...

"a certain something", "general F2P feeling". Could you be any more vague? I've tried many F2P titles and the production quality is what gives a game the F2P stench.

So you're saying the production quality in TERA can be compared to that of Asian F2P games???

Why don't I see the same being said about a certain other inexplicably expensive title which is ultimately a steaming pile of turd? Oh right, it's not Asian.

Just the opposite for me. TERA feels like one of the better Asian F2P games might feel IF it had high production values. The game follows essentially the same formula, but looks and feels a lot better while doing it.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Alot

I find it funny that TERA gets a 12+ rating in the Eu whereas SW:TOR gets a 16+ rating

That's because the EU ratings are the opposite of the way many games are rated in the US. The Europeans are more wary of tweens and teens being exposed to violence than sex, where as in the US, violence is much more acceptable, but even the hint of sex or sensuality earns an M+ rating.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Yeah. I did mention that there is this contrast. The juxtaposition is more extreme for many players who get freaked out over scantily clad females in games. (TERA was cencored for the US, which essentially censored it for the entire Western market. Imagine if they hadn't toned things down). The mobs, animations and even the world are indeed "cute". The only thing many would consider the opposite of "cute" are the scantily clad, sexily proportioned female characters.

Maybe the contrast is actually needed, because if the characters were all as cutesy as the rest of the game, many people would just gag on the sweetness and it would be tagged as a kids game. :)

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by fiontar

I find it funny that TERA gets a 12+ rating in the Eu whereas SW:TOR gets a 16+ rating

That's because the EU ratings are the opposite of the way many games are rated in the US. The Europeans are more wary of tweens and teens being exposed to violence than sex, where as in the US, violence is much more acceptable, but even the hint of sex or sensuality earns an M+ rating.

So you say SW:TOR has got more violence than TERA?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"a certain something", "general F2P feeling". Could you be any more vague? I've tried many F2P titles and the production quality is what gives a game the F2P stench.

So you're saying the production quality in TERA can be compared to that of Asian F2P games???

Why don't I see the same being said about a certain other inexplicably expensive title which is ultimately a steaming pile of turd? Oh right, it's not Asian.

Just the opposite for me. TERA feels like one of the better Asian F2P games might feel IF it had high production values. The game follows essentially the same formula, but looks and feels a lot better while doing it.

The closest F2P game I can think of is Forsaken world, but Tera is better made.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Having played both to a high level, I can conclusively say that TERA craps all over DN.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Another problem I have or expecting to have is "PVP". It seems like on the forum people care about "which class is the best in PVP?" a lot. I can forsee a lot of "Buff this and Nerf that" incoming. Usually that leads to horrible PVE gameplay because of the constant outcry "I cant kill xxxx class 1 vs 1!!"

well this is never happen on tera , cause you really need skill, ok some class's could handle better than others but at the end you must be faster, and skillful to beat other human player

So you say SW:TOR has got more violence than TERA?

More violence. More violence vs. humans. Much darker storylines, where violence plays a key role. Yes, TOR is a more violent game. Violence against creatures that look like they popped out of children's Fairy Tales, even the darker ones, is at a lower level than a game where most of those killed are humans, (or humans with a little makeup) and the storyline doesn't shy away from murder, torture and the slaying of innocents.

I see a game as a game, I'm not talking about my personal view of morality regarding video games, but I can appreciate the difference in the way violence is used and depicted by the two games. (I will admit, though, that having Jedi progress through standard MMORPG "hack and slash" questing, where they just mow down hundreds of people in order to fill a quest kill quota, was jarring for me and made enjoying the Jedi impossible. Just from the immersion and lore authenticity stand point, but an issue just the same).

I hope the thread won't get off track and go onto TOR, but, yes, there is definitely a difference in the way violence is used and portrayed between the two games.

Originally posted by Loke666

The closest F2P game I can think of is Forsaken world, but Tera is better made.

You hit the nail right on the head. It does feel a lot like Forsaken World, but with a bigger budget and better production values.