Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera is a Cute game

fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The title says it. Tera is a "Cute" game. For the U.S. and many other Western nations, the skimpy, sexy outfits will have many declaring it a game just for adults, but every other element of the PVE world is just plain cute.

I'm having fun. I'm not sure yet the game is worth a subscription fee, as I just can't shake the feeling I'm playing a good, high budget, Asian Free to Play game. It's not bad, in fact it takes what I like about those F2P games and gives it the extra nudge to make it  worth playing.

The action combat? Not bad, nice change of pace, but a lot less action than I was anticipating. (Even "instant" skills usually stop you from moving). Many classes seem to have their own take on a dodge skill, but it's clunkier than double tapping to dodge. Through level ten, at least, the "action" element seems to be largely just making sure your cursor stays on the mob as you hold down your main (spammable) attack key, with the occassional additional ability thrown in to fight boredom. I'm sure it will get more complex later on, as the mobs become more active and require you to react more. (I hope so anyway).

The world, mobs and characters all look good, in a very cute way.

My early conclusion after one day playing is that I would buy this game if it was "Buy to Pay" with no subscription. I would play this game if it was on a F2P+ system similar to LotRO. I probably would even buy and play the game if the box price and subscription were cut by maybe 40% ($36 box, $9/month sub). I'm just not sure I can see myself paying $60 for the box and maintaining a full priced subscription fee. Yet, anyway. I'll continue to give it a solid shot.

It's so far seems to not be a "next gen" title and doesn't even seem to do Action combat justice. It's cute though and looks good while being cute. The game engine seems to run pretty smoothly. Other than server issues, I haven't really experienced anything in the way of bugs.

My guess is that TERA isn't going to really sell on innovation or even the "actiony" combat. The game design follows the established status quo pretty closely in most areas, but it seems to be fairly fun for what it does offer. So far. That, I think, is the hope for this game. It may just be "fun enough" for some people to find it worth the cost. It might even have appeal for a certain segment of WoW players. However, I know I'm not there yet and I have a feeling I won't be the only one who will come away from this game thinking "Well, yeah, it's sort of fun, but probably not $15/month fun".

(BTW, even though the game may be "cute", the in game community is far from it at this point. I hope that the beta environment is producing a very atypical image of what the game's community will be like, because if not, the community might just be bad enough to drive away a number of people who might like this game otherwise. The game has you often feeling like a kid again, but the conversation in general chat makes you want to take a shower and leaves you feeling a bit embarrassed for being associated in any way with some of these people. I've been around the genre a long time and have participated in dozens of betas and I have never seen such a horrible community in general chat).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Looks a bit more than just cute, if you know what I mean. image

But I also wish TERA was Buy 2 Play, because in it's current state I just see myself getting TERA and burning through the free month as quickly as possible. Maybe I'll sub for one month, to experience some of the endgame content and try an alt, but I just don't spend extended amount of time in a sub-based game. Also I would like to see a screenshot of this "so-called" filthy General Chat.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by fiontar

The title says it. Tera is a "Cute" game. For the U.S. and many other Western nations, the skimpy, sexy outfits will have many declaring it a game just for adults, but every other element of the PVE world is just plain cute.

I'm having fun. I'm not sure yet the game is worth a subscription fee, as I just can't shake the feeling I'm playing a good, high budget, Asian Free to Play game. It's not bad, in fact it takes what I like about those F2P games and gives it the extra nudge to make it  worth playing.

That's it for me.

Despite 1 year of "westernization" they couldn't shake off which is the worst part about all those asian games, the general F2P feeling. Albeit great quality, this F2P thing gives all these games a touch of being cheap and not worth a monthly sub.

TERA contains some aspects that scream "item shop" and if in EU/US the game tanks as bad as it did in Korea, we will most likely see it heading for it's original destination within a year, which is F2P.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I see TERA, F2P, TERA, F2P and I just shake my head...

"a certain something", "general F2P feeling". Could you be any more vague? I've tried many F2P titles and the production quality is what gives a game the F2P stench.

So you're saying the production quality in TERA can be compared to that of Asian F2P games???

Why don't I see the same being said about a certain other inexplicably expensive title which is ultimately a steaming pile of turd? Oh right, it's not Asian.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Volgore

That's it for me.

I thought the same initially, but then the part in red kicked in and I realised thats EXACTLY why it's worth paying a sub for.

The game is very good a those 'nudges' that turn standard into really quite good IMO.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

The action combat? Not bad, nice change of pace, but a lot less action than I was anticipating. (Even "instant" skills usually stop you from moving). Many classes seem to have there own take on a dodge skill, but it's clunkier than double tapping to dodge. Through level ten, at least, the "action" element seems to be largely just making sure your cursor stays on the mob as you hold down your main (spammable) attack key, with the occassional additional ability thrown in to fight boredom. I'm sure it will get more complex later on, as the mobs become more active and require you to react more. (I hope so anyway).

I actually feel the same way on my Mystic and Sorc. I am rooted a lot of time casting spells. I was hoping I can actually move and cast at the same time. Granted I am only level 12 on Mystic and 8 on Sorc. Maybe it will change later on.

I do have to say they look good for the resources its using. Agreed on this.

My early conclusion after one day playing is that I would buy this game if it was "Buy to Pay" with no subscription. I would play this game if it was on a F2P+ system similar to LotRO. I probably would even buy and play the game if the box price and subscription were cut by maybe 40% ($36 box, $9/month sub). I'm just not sure I can see myself paying $60 for the box and maintaining a full priced subscription fee. Yet, anyway. I'll continue to give it a solid shot.

At the moment, my thought is to pre-order and get the pre-order code in my account. Play through the 5 CBs and OB. If I am not burn out by then, I will wait till the price drop to grab it. I hope that way I still get the pre-order benefit..who knows LOL. Or I might simply just spend the money for the digital collector. Undecide at the moment.

It's so far seems to not be a "next gen" title and doesn't even seem to do Action combat justice. It's cute though and looks good while being cute. The game engine seems to run pretty smoothly. Other than server issues, I haven't really experienced anything in the way of bugs.

My guess is that TERA isn't going to really sell on innovation or even the "actiony" combat. The game design follows the established status quo pretty closely in most areas, but it seems to be fairly fun for what it does offer. So far. That, I think, is the hope for this game. It may just be "fun enough" for some people to find it worth the cost. It might even have appeal for a certain segment of WoW players. However, I know I'm not there yet and I have a feeling I won't be the only one who will come away from this game thinking "Well, yeah, it's sort of fun, but probably not $15/month fun".

(BTW, even though the game may be "cute", the in game community is far from it at this point. I hope that the beta environment is producing a very atypical image of what the game's community will be like, because if not, the community might just be bad enough to drive away a number of people who might like this game otherwise. The game has you often feeling like a kid again, but the conversation in general chat makes you want to take a shower and leaves you feeling a bit embarrassed for being associated in any way with some of these people. I've been around the genre a long time and have participated in dozens of betas and I have never seen such a horrible community in general chat).

That is my biggest issue with game at the moment. All the kiddy chat and bashing other games. I seriously don't know why people can't just play a game without bring in another game. Maybe trashing another game make them feel better ? I close my general chat at the moment. It is just worse than anything.

Another problem I have or expecting to have is "PVP". It seems like on the forum people care about "which class is the best in PVP?" a lot. I can forsee a lot of "Buff this and Nerf that" incoming. Usually that leads to horrible PVE gameplay because of the constant outcry "I cant kill xxxx class 1 vs 1!!"

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

That's it for me.

Despite 1 year of "westernization" they couldn't shake off which is the worst part about all those asian games, the general F2P feeling. Albeit great quality, this F2P thing gives all these games a touch of being cheap and not worth a monthly sub.

TERA contains some aspects that scream "item shop" and if in EU/US the game tanks as bad as it did in Korea, we will most likely see it heading for it's original destination within a year, which is F2P.

Where do you people get your information...item shop, feels f2p, tanked in Korea. When did these things happen or be planned to happen?

If you`ve played for a little while youd see this game does not feel like f2p at all. It did not tank in Korea, and the Devs have stated they would never put in an item shop. Ffs...

This community is as bad as 4chan, judges a game on level 1-15. If we all did that I don`t think any game would have more than 20 players.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Part of the problem is that most of the people on right now are just using free beta keys, so any threats of banning/etc are meaningless. And we all know what kind of behaviour results from that. Although aside from occasional bursts, the chat is no worse than many other beta/F2P's I've been in. And fortunately, left-click-block has been implemented right out of the gate with this game.

Honestly, if there's an F2P game showing this high of quality at any state, nevermind beta, I'd love to know what it is. After sinking about 8 hours into it last night, my only real gripes were the server outages/glitches (never had any after supper hour last night, plus it's beta) and the high competition for some quest mobs/resources at times (beta swarming, duh).

More importantly, tab-targetting is gone. Facetank/pot spam grinding is gone. Totally makes all the difference in the world.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Another problem I have or expecting to have is "PVP". It seems like on the forum people care about "which class is the best in PVP?" a lot. I can forsee a lot of "Buff this and Nerf that" incoming. Usually that leads to horrible PVE gameplay because of the constant outcry "I cant kill xxxx class 1 vs 1!!"

What the western market cares about is unlikely to change anything related to class balance. What people need to realise is that this game has been out in Korea for quite some time, where it was developed. All we are getting is a translated and slightly censored version.

Class balancing has been done on the Korean servers long before we got our hands on it. They already know where the classes stand, they dont need westerners crying about class balance.

It was like people on the stress test saying they were testing the areas out for 'bugs'. I had to laugh. The only thing left to 'test' is the english translations in quests, items and the user interface.

Originally posted by evilastro

What the western market cares about is unlikely to change anything related to class balance. What people need to realise is that this game has been out in Korea for quite some time, where it was developed. All we are getting is a translated and slightly censored version.

Class balancing has been done on the Korean servers long before we got our hands on it. They already know where the classes stand, they dont need westerners crying about class balance.

It was like people on the stress test saying they were testing the areas out for 'bugs'. I had to laugh. The only thing left to 'test' is the english translations in quests, items and the user interface.

The problem with people who wants to win in PVP is they will cry and whine till they

1. get what they want.

2. Give up and bash that the developers do not care about balance. After that, bash the game

Believe me, the xxxx class is OP or UP will be popping out of forums all over in no time.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Rooted while using certain attacks/spells -

THIS is part of the action update.

If you could just keep doing what you do and toss out instant spells then it would turn inot a bunny-hopping mess as people constantly swarm around the mobs/each other.

Part of the increase in skill needed for TERA is learning what you can do when. And this is the REALISTIC part. Have you ever seen someone fight with a spear? There are a few parts of the spear that can be used for attack and defense and the bingo moves are to slash or stab someone with the head of it. Of couse the butt will hit you like a staff and concuss/break you, but the stab and slash are king. In order to stab and slash, you have to time it right and not be open to an attack yourself. Momentum and position are huge ESP with the massive weapons TERA puts on some of its characters. As UNrealistic as those weapons are, the wait times are realistic.

IT's not just run your ass off and spam your abilities. That would be COD.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

There ws something always nagging me about this game. Didn't know what it was that bothered me, but now it is becoming more obvious. It's just the juvinile approach the game has that makes me have no desire to even try it now.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I've just completed some quest about some corrupted Unicorn which started with a cutscene: "First he protected our forest, but then, the bad ones came..."

PLEASE! DON'T DO THIS TO ME! Childish clichés are my DEATH!

• Originally posted by zakiyawow

That is my biggest issue with game at the moment. All the kiddy chat and bashing other games. I seriously don't know why people can't just play a game without bring in another game. Maybe trashing another game make them feel better ? I close my general chat at the moment. It is just worse than anything.

is this your first mmo that happens in every mmo i have ever played

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Alot

I've just completed some quest about some corrupted Unicorn which started with a cutscene: "First he protected our forest, but then, the bad ones came..."

That bothered me too, it was a stupid faerie thing so I guess it makes sense but...eugh. Didn`t like that, the English language always ruins Asian things, whether it`s dubbed anime or dubbed cutscenes lol.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Honestly a week ago I was wondering how Frogster will manage to fix those screw ups they committed last week. After this week tho I am wondering which online shop in my country is going to offer preorders (so far found one) as those coming from Frogster ase tbh kinda expensive. In comparison to SWTOR here in Poland standard edition by like 10% and CE by like 30% or so.

The action combat? Not bad, nice change of pace, but a lot less action than I was anticipating. (Even "instant" skills usually stop you from moving). Many classes seem to have there own take on a dodge skill, but it's clunkier than double tapping to dodge. Through level ten, at least, the "action" element seems to be largely just making sure your cursor stays on the mob as you hold down your main (spammable) attack key, with the occassional additional ability thrown in to fight boredom. I'm sure it will get more complex later on, as the mobs become more active and require you to react more. (I hope so anyway).

Currently playing slayer (level 16) and I'd add to this second buttom for dodging and another 3 buttons for whirlwind and knockbacks. That makes 5 buttons already:) If all I wanted to do was to dodge attacks anc occasionally hit then yes, that would be 2 button fight and boring I might add however with all other skills that I am using things get better really. On warrior I have pretty much same situation. Can't say for other classes tho.

Honestly I can agree with b2p but with freemium models? Definitely no. The truth is that in case of LotRO or AoC such model was introduced partially as a desperate measure to keep playerbase. Regarding TERA I took my time in here for past 2 days and as much as Island of Dawn looks like you described that could be also said about a lot other MMO games that either are or at some point were p2p. As the matter of fact there are games such as Rift that had it worse and tbh looking much more like f2p than it is in TERA.

Well regarding server issues I can't say much about american ones but european servers right now seem to be well performing providing current stage. A few days ago stress test and now everyone wanting to try TERA crowded on one of 2 servers available. That also can stress infrastructure a bit however judging overall performance I am myself impressed. Let's just say that once Frogster took care of situation (as it seems) performance of pretty much every mmo that launched in past 2-3 years and I have tried (out of all major titles that doesn't include only SWTOR) was at best similar to what I have experienced in TERA so far.

Regarding innovation and stuff so far it seems to be truth based on currently available content however TERA is still pretty much very solid product and about innovation itself I myself prefer to wait with judgment to see SvS, what direction they push GvG and how political system worsk out on both PvP and PvE servers as those most likely will be the key factors in here.

Here I have to agree 100%. Ppl tend to say that such WoW is played by kids but in comparison to what I have seen in TERA so far WoW players are simply mature adults. Chat is one example. Ksing just because "I must be first!". Camping spawn of named mob and as it's soloable nobody thinks about starting or joining party so everyone can get it smoothly (seriously so far out of a few dozens players that I have encountered during such situations only 2 were actually willing to cooperate with others)

Reassuming TERA has it's flaws:

- repeatetive quests. After a short while it may start feeling like "I've been there, I've done this".

- questing so far looks like standard clear one hub, move to another, clear new hub, move to another. Repeat those steps over and over again.

- battlegrounds only for high levels. Not much of a problem however having something for newbies could be a good idea.

- in-game community so far that isn't really anything exceptional

But then it also has it's strong side:

- audio/visual part (not talking here about characters to be specific:-))

- transportation between zones. Some ppl may not like it but I'm not one of them. I myself am sick of over and over again same mechanics just described in different words (aka "Porticulum, "teleporter" and so on). TERA also has teleporters but it's used only to quickly visit other hubs in same zone. Not saying that in TERA it's innovative as there are games that has similar stuff but it's still nice to see something done different once in a while.

- combat. Can't say about all classes but as for warrior and slayer I am having a lot of fun here.

- general feeling. Let's just say that last time I had such feelings about game world it was when I joined WoW years ago and LotRO after it's launch. I might add that I played both on RP servers and those were still times when RP meant something.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

I find it funny that all those who were bashing WOW for pandas have no problem playing cute races like popori in Tera. So much for WOW is for kiddies and Tera is for grown ups.

*rolls eyes*

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I find it funny that TERA gets a 12+ rating in the Eu whereas SW:TOR gets a 16+ rating

Originally posted by grimstone45

Nope but Tera one is worse than others ...even worse than SWTOR and pretty on par with Aion

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Nope but Tera one is worse than others ...even worse than SWTOR and pretty on par with Aion

SWTOR? must be your server because on mine i just wish more people would talk in general.. i would take bashing talk any day over dead chat.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Shivam

SWTOR? must be your server because on mine i just wish more people would talk in general.. i would take bashing talk any day over dead chat.

Oh, I meant in Beta. You know the common "arrow' joke that is not even funny anymore. The XXX is better game. My SWTOR current server general chat isnt too bad. People seem to be rather helpful ( I am on republic side ). Maybe its because I blocked most of the stupid people ( including Arrow joke ones ) .

Currently in Tera though mostly are still arrow joke and Tera >>> XXXX games. Lets not forget the "boobs talk" (  Seriously people need to get laid more often if digital boobs is really that amazing ). That's before I close down general chat last night after 10 mins. I figure its faster to close down the chat than to block lol

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Alot

That bothered me too, it was a stupid faerie thing so I guess it makes sense but...eugh. Didn`t like that, the English language always ruins Asian things, whether it`s dubbed anime or dubbed cutscenes lol.

Is there an option to have the cutscenes in Korean, with subtitles?

[mod edit]

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

Where do you people get your information...item shop, feels f2p, tanked in Korea. When did these things happen or be planned to happen?

If you`ve played for a little while youd see this game does not feel like f2p at all. It did not tank in Korea, and the Devs have stated they would never put in an item shop. Ffs...

This community is as bad as 4chan, judges a game on level 1-15. If we all did that I don`t think any game would have more than 20 players.  Except for Age of Conan ;)

I may only hop into beta for CBT 2, haven't decided.  I haven't pre-ordered yet, so...  From some of the recent YouTube vids I've seen where people have general chat going on their screen, the wider community thus far is just horrid.  I guess that is to be expected at this stage, but I still find it annoying.

pie.

Originally posted by mudd4ever

This community is as bad as 4chan, judges a game on level 1-15. If we all did that I don`t think any game would have more than 20 players.  Except for Age of Conan ;)

I may only hop into beta for CBT 2, haven't decided.  I haven't pre-ordered yet, so...  From some of the recent YouTube vids I've seen where people have general chat going on their screen, the wider community thus far is just horrid.  I guess that is to be expected at this stage, but I still find it annoying.

Close the general chat and its problem half solved lol

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

[mod edit]

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.