Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, old gamers, read this and tell me if im the only one -.-"

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Sora2810

OP; there's two type of MMO gamers, those who play to have fun, and those who play to progress. Call it what you feel, but that's how players feel. Most 'casual' players are confused as to why legacy players bash every aspect of games they enjoy. This is because they like spending time, and getting rewards. Progression. They want to grind, even if it meant killing the same mob for half a year, they'll do it. 

Meaning; Legacy's love spending a lot of time in an MMO before they see anything close to max. 'Casuals' love any aspect of that game that feels fun and gives them an adreniline rush. Really, it's apples to oranges here. It's almost like saying these two groups play extremely different games.

Just because you dont find a certain playstyle fun doesn't mean other people dont find it fun. "Fun" is different for different people.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by Cuathon

You know how to easily solve that issue? Dynamic content. No more static mob spawns.

Takes a toll on variability, if you have specific mobs in specific places you can give them specific atributes so that they are preferred by specific players, randomizing it would just push for homogenization or players hasting around the zone for specific spawns they can kill more easily than the rest.

Im not saying it cannot work, elaborate what you have in mind :)

Flame on!

:)

You would have to read my 35 threads about it for us to move beyond you citing basic concerns and me saying, oh I already thought of that for hours and hours in a row.

One specific comment, no haste. Having all players be able to haste and escape from any monster is one of the stupidest inventions of the game industry ever.

Without a link its just rude :)

Anyways, as for haste you very well know that i meant hasting from one spawn to another looking for a specific mob, not hasting from combatting a monster (or do you expect ranged mobs to fire at you from the next zone?), that has its own pitfalls, as muds have tought some of us :)

Flame on!

http://www.lordofthedawn.com/GameInsRef.php

That page has a link to all of my threads both here and at gamedev.net.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by xpinkfl0ydx

Hi there,

its my first post on this forum, and english is not my first language so i apologize for any errors wich may be in my post.

so, why am I here? why am I writing this now instead of playing my fav. mmo? well thats kind of the reason... there is no!!

this thread will look as a QQ thread, well it kinda is.

-----

so here we go, today's mmos are far more popular that they were back few years ago when i started playing but allaround the quality just fell sooo drastcicly ... i feel like the only thing improving is the graphics and everything else just keeps gettin' worse

My basic points of complain are the following, wich in my eyes ruins today mmos and makes it just rpg with internet conection.

1. INSTANCED DUNGENS ... why? why? why?   why does it have to be instanced ??? odl sql dungens were part of the open world... sure the mobs were bit harder in there but so was the exp and lot (more rewarding) .. there were fights over the good grinding spots between guilds and alliances wich made it one of the most exciting aspects of the game. Instanced RUIN EVERYTHING = go in kill some mobs, then the boss = dungen cleared (gets boooriiing, or no?)  no competition no nothing, feels like rpg style sorry

2. LEVELING CURVE for me, THATS the reason all new mmos WILL fail... tera (2 weeks to max lvl = JOKE) thats why it failed in korea and japan ... i bet everything i have that the future of gw2 will be the same ... we all know leveling is a peace of cake there also .. the only thing it will show after a year of two is the pvp aspect of the game, but that will be enough just too keep the hard core pvpers in the game ... i know now i will get flamed by gw2 lovers but idc its my opinion

aion is doing good in korea cuz its the most grindy of them all.

wich makes me come to 2.0 leveling curve, WHY do they make arcade mmos in wich u reach max lvl in a month or two easy gaming ... why do they make lvl cap at all ???? it would be soooo more intresting that the exp would grow all the time even if the mobs give 0,0000000000001% exp 

at least there is some progression FOR GODS SAKE, wouldnt hurt if there is no max lvl !!!

now people again will say, omg you like grind omg noob get life bla bla bla ...

THE ONLY AND I MEAN THE ONLY reason why they have low lvl cap is so new players wich come after few months can still catch up with old players... thats all ... but still its no excuse!!!

everything is sooooooo easy nowdays, back in time in a game i played the whole allince had to give money for a frineds item cuz there were just 2 wepons of that grade on the whole server and that was 5 years after the game was released, TODAY??? 1 month max gear, max lvl, max everything ffs

people do get bored with this games and thats why nothing lasts more then a year before it starts to flop

todays mmo market is just to much focused on (wont even call them casual gamers)  people who play single player games all day but wanna chat also ...

---

so my mmo now would look like;

1. no leveling cap or at least a cap wich requiers a year or two grind

2. massive open world

3. no instance at all

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz

5. some castle siege, teritory wars and economyc/political play

6. (this point is very debateble since its pure subjective opinion) i dont like gunners replacing archers nowdays .. + enginers etc bljahhh (well i like asian style sorry ;D) neither do i like animal races but i can live without point 6 ^^

---

well nice last words,

today mmos = single play games with chat option

------

sorry for language again, hope at least some agree with me...

BRING GRINDERS BACK!!!!!!!

its just you

No, it's really not.

• TheCliffordTheClifford Member UncommonPosts: 18

There is a definite lack of metrics/hard data to support any of the opinions of why things succeed and why things fail.  My opinion is that lack of variety comes from an important question that a lot of people don't consider...

Why would I want to play with all these douchebags?

My not-so-valuable experience over the past twenty years of gaming is that the majority of the loud mouthed, smart assed, over exaggerating, and downright cruel community members are these so called veterans that terrorize internet forums crying on about the good ol' days.  I am embarassed sometimes to share the same interests as a majority of the posters, so why do I want them imposed as a roadblock to my performance in game?  Should developers pay heed to the words of players who so blatantly ignore and insult the validity of others?

It seems to me that the state of the industry and its staleness stems from a festering community who feels entitled (because they pay $15 a month) above others (who also happen to pay $15 a month).  Its not even the financial commitment, but the time commitment.  For some reason if we participate in something, we feel we are experts in it at every level, and someone better listen to me right now, or I swear I'll just make myself louder and more insulting and obtrusive to the other players and the development staff!  Remember, if you do not hate the game, and you enjoy playing it, you are a fanboi and your opinions are void!  How can anyone expect a developer to take content/mechanics risks on concepts from a community rooted in childishness and hatred.

Ever read one of those threads on a message board about how to play so-and-so game with a controller for those who have physical handicaps or who prefer to play that way.  Those threads are ALWAYS riddled with flamebait and trolling, regarding a topic that could only enhance accessibility to players giving them no advantages over traditional keyboard/mouse players.  That is the kind of community that kills variety in MMOs.  If I was a developer I sure as hell wouldn't risk my rent money on those savages.

I started playing MMOs with Ultima Online though.  I never did Everquest, but I think I've played most every other MMO made since.  Communities can be the best and worst part of a game, and if developers have come to expect the worst, expect features that make it not as painful to interact under anonymity, while maintaining connectivity.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by LadyNoh

GRINDING IS BORING. seriously. do you quake with excitement with the thought of killing the same mob for the next 3-6 hours. if your life is so terribly dull that it is appealing to you, seek mental help.

I feel the exact same way about people who grind quest after quest in order to advance their character.  For me, I enjoy the freedom of killing the same mob 3-6 hours if I want. Or, completeing a dungeon for a few hours to advance. Or, hunting locked chests and fighting mobs in order to open them in order to advance my skill. Or, Etc... Give me multiple options, not just damn quest after quest. That is the true grind.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by wrekognize

GRINDING IS BORING. seriously. do you quake with excitement with the thought of killing the same mob for the next 3-6 hours. if your life is so terribly dull that it is appealing to you, seek mental help.

I feel the exact same way about people who grind quest after quest in order to advance their character.  For me, I enjoy the freedom of killing the same mob 3-6 hours if I want. Or, completeing a dungeon for a few hours to advance. Or, hunting locked chests and fighting mobs in order to open them in order to advance my skill. Or, Etc... Give me multiple options, not just damn quest after quest. That is the true grind.

Well in a mob grind game you cannot escape the mob grind at all.

Whereas in a quest game you can still grind if you want (alone or in groups), or you can choose to do quests (which are individually optional.)  More variety, more options, more freedom.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by wrekognize

Well in a mob grind game you cannot escape the mob grind at all.

Whereas in a quest game you can still grind if you want (alone or in groups), or you can choose to do quests (which are individually optional.)  More variety, more options, more freedom.

Not true. Because in today's MMO, they design the progression in a way that makes it nearly impossible to "grind". Questing is basically you're only option. The only game I saw accomplish this was SWG NGE (believe it or not).  None quest driven games could offer the grind, quests, dungeon runs, different type missions and etc.  Current quest driven MMOs do not aim for this type of freedom. Questing is the grind.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Instancing is fine, because unless you regularly play a game where it really IS overused; Dragon's Nest, Rusty Hearts, Vindictus, etc - you don't deserve to complain about it. World of Warcraft doesn't have "too many instances", ok? Play something where the actual gameplay is *nothing but instances* and you're literally *forced* to do them over and over again on subsequently harder difficulties. It's fine in moderation, and honestly, I don't think many of the people actually complaining about it have seen it "overdone" for once, they are just tired of playing the same game for a year straight, while too ashamed to admit it.

Infinite leveling isn't a bad idea, but it's not all that perfect a one either. I could go off in a three-paragraph essay about it's many faults compounded against the one ideal of never hitting a point of stagnation (read; balance), but I will just leave you with this one shining example of why it sucks; MAAAAPLE STOOOORY.

To be around lvl 200 you have to have started years ago, or be a very clever cheater.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Bring the grind back to mmo's - YES PLEASE

If people want to be max level in less then a month, and the best gear in less then two months please just go buy a fucking single player game. 

ruining the world of mmo's with your stupid gimme gimme gimme attitudes.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

You know how to easily solve that issue? Dynamic content. No more static mob spawns.

Takes a toll on variability, if you have specific mobs in specific places you can give them specific atributes so that they are preferred by specific players, randomizing it would just push for homogenization or players hasting around the zone for specific spawns they can kill more easily than the rest.

Im not saying it cannot work, elaborate what you have in mind :)

Flame on!

You would have to read my 35 threads about it for us to move beyond you citing basic concerns and me saying, oh I already thought of that for hours and hours in a row.

One specific comment, no haste. Having all players be able to haste and escape from any monster is one of the stupidest inventions of the game industry ever.

Without a link its just rude :)

Anyways, as for haste you very well know that i meant hasting from one spawn to another looking for a specific mob, not hasting from combatting a monster (or do you expect ranged mobs to fire at you from the next zone?), that has its own pitfalls, as muds have tought some of us :)

Flame on!

http://www.lordofthedawn.com/GameInsRef.php

That page has a link to all of my threads both here and at gamedev.net.

I have read some of your threads, they have one thing in common, you have a answer for everything, yet you never explain it, it always stays in the area "and somehow we will adapt to the number of players", if cornered with "that is not fun for players" you even replyed that you dont make your game for casuals :)

Anyways, to be more constructive, yes, a mythical flawless dynamic solution would work :)

Flame on!

Originally posted by albers

Lineage 2 to level up 1 level in end game takes months... Its f2p now.  And all you mentioned is there... I mean everything....

I second this, but play on free servers, they mostly have no bots and you can choose one specifically for your needs in terms of speed of leveling, cashshop advantages and state of the game (C4 is i think completely without instances), some have up to 15k players online (to adress the obvious negative connotations in the quote).

Flame on!

I have read some of your threads, they have one thing in common, you have a answer for everything, yet you never explain it, it always stays in the area "and somehow we will adapt to the number of players", if cornered with "that is not fun for players" you even replyed that you dont make your game for casuals :)

Anyways, to be more constructive, yes, a mythical flawless dynamic solution would work :)

Flame on!

Well obviously its much harder to make a game that appeals to casuals while also being awesome. That is because games have to pick their audience.

I did in fact explain many things that work to scale the game to players. The main thing being that the game creates a larger pool of enemies that spawn in a larger number of areas as new players join.

If you had a particular question I could answer it. I suggest you read the threads on the list that you haven't read so far and post in them about specific question. Writing a n in depth description of my entire system inside a thread where its offtopic would be pretty rude. And also I think posts here have a character limit.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Cuathon you scared of being taken prisoner in an MMO? You HARDCORE enough to pay to play in a brig?

I say you make games skill based with a softcap. That seems like the best way to go about it.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Cuathon you scared of being taken prisoner in an MMO? You HARDCORE enough to pay to play in a brig?

Bitch please, I go to the real life brig. (Not really)

I am not scared of being taken prisoner. I went to jail all d ay in Oblivion.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Well obviously its much harder to make a game that appeals to casuals while also being awesome. That is because games have to pick their audience.

Vanguard tried to offer a game for noncasuals but Sigil ran out of cash developing their game

- can only hope someone else tries to create a noncasual game and does not run out of cash ;)

Originally posted by Nadia

Vanguard tried to offer a game for noncasuals but Sigil ran out of cash developing their game

- can only hope someone else tries to create a noncasual game and does not run out of cash ;)

Sigil spent too much dev time and money on graphics. A really good sandbox has to sacrifice graphics due to small audience.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by ololulu

For some reason i think that we need a mmo look more like Runescape(takes months- years to complete goals).

I guess i just need a very good sandbox game since themepark is pretty much dead for me.

I'm still waiting for a decent themepark that takes more than a week to max.

I'm also graphics fan so i don't like to make blocks out of blocks.

So i feel that i am with you 100%

1. no leveling cap or at least a cap wich requiers a year or two grind - CHECK

2. massive open world - CHECK

3. no instance at all - CHECK

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz   - CHECK

5. some castle siege, teritory wars and economyc/political play    - CHECK

6. Other things to do besides fighting  - My opinion

Have you heard of EvE Online?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by BadSpock

For some reason i think that we need a mmo look more like Runescape(takes months- years to complete goals).

I guess i just need a very good sandbox game since themepark is pretty much dead for me.

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz   - CHECK

Deffo fits the guts of it all, but he likely left out that;

1. Must have a combat system relative to "game X"

2. Must be able to stop and pan the camera around the character at all times.

3. Must not be bored for more than 3-5 minutes while moving place to place.

I could come up with more, but the things people ask for belie the true, and very vain, nature of the games they are actually looking for.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

How about I show you all how Hardcore SQO is while giving you a chance ot shut me up about it? Log into the game If you can kill Legion than I will shut up about the game.  :P

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by GTwander

I could come up with more, but the things people ask for belie the true, and very vain, nature of the games they are actually looking for.

LOL so true, let me add some so he dont have to type. Things like:

1. Need "real" avatar instead of spaceships

2. Want to walk around that said spaceships

3. I like sci-fi but space is boring

4. I dont like sci-fi at all

Did I left anything out?

Originally posted by yaminsux

Originally posted by GTwander

LOL so true, let me add some so he dont have to type. Things like:

1. Need "real" avatar instead of spaceships

2. Want to walk around that said spaceships

3. I like sci-fi but space is boring

4. I dont like sci-fi at all

Did I left anything out?

My god do you know ow frustrating it is to see you all beg on here daily for the game I've been playing for 4 years? It's infuriating. Then people say oh that game looks liek shit and it has bugs... You people are insane. You keep performing the same actions and expecting different results.

Flame on!

I did in fact explain many things that work to scale the game to players. The main thing being that the game creates a larger pool of enemies that spawn in a larger number of areas as new players join.

If you had a particular question I could answer it. I suggest you read the threads on the list that you haven't read so far and post in them about specific question. Writing a n in depth description of my entire system inside a thread where its offtopic would be pretty rude. And also I think posts here have a character limit.

It is not off-topic, you have suggested a idea that will solve the OPs troubles, the burden of proof is on your side.

Yes, it is complicated, that is why game creators simplify things using spawn points, instances, aggro range and so on.

We have seen enough of  "scaling to players" in Rift, 2 sec respawns and so on, you know :)

Flame on!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

First, not sure where the OP is going at all. Ideas seem jibberish to me.

Second, a good game, would not have any levels, or gear grind. The world/planets would be open and non instanced. Oh shit, to much to explain.

Just make the mmo have all the systems that SWG pre-cu had, with TOR's personal story and content to not lead but to develope your character no matter what different build you have and set it in either a high fantasy ,sci fi, or modern day setting and you should have the ultimate MMORPG.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Originally posted by yaminsux

Did I left anything out?

My god do you know how frustrating it is to see you all beg on here daily for the game I've been playing for 4 years? It's infuriating. Then people say oh that game looks liek shit and it has bugs... You people are insane. You keep performing the same actions and expecting different results.

i guess people care about looks too - but i hear ya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarQuest_Online

Features include:

• Scientifically accurate starmap containing over 17,000 unique star systems

• Play as a person, not a starship, in fully realized starship interiors with interactive control consoles

• Open player vs. player combat, with safe zones patrolled by police or security forces

• Open starship vs. starship combat, with safe zones patrolled by military warships

• Serve on military starships in a number of crew positions

• Advance in rank to command your own starship

• Player owned starships

• Player owned housing

• Player owned colonies

• Time travel through hyperspace ruptures
  • midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Originally posted by xpinkfl0ydx

1. INSTANCED DUNGENS

I'm more annoyed at the "forced" nature of the gear grind of modern games than I am with the instanced dungeons. Repeative NPC grind is just repeative NPC grind to me. The parimary advantage to camping to me was that less button mashing was required which may have facilitated people actually communicating with each other (though I have my doubts about this. I really think it was a demographic issue more than anything else).

2. LEVELING CURVE

Older games really were not that slow for leveling (aside from some of the "infinite level" games). You did need a quality group  (though were some exceptions) to level at a quick rate. The solo nature of the leveling experience is what bothers me. Solo is nearly always the quickest leveing path in modern games. Grouping very often being significantly worse and many times actually punishing.

Anyways, I'd love to see more games where grouping was a stronger focus of the game at all levels of the game. Its an MMO, while I don't think grouping should be madatory, any of the silly "punishments" that exist for grouping should be removed entirely.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.