Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most fun MMO gameplay in loooong looong time !

124»

Comments

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by smh_alot

Let's put it this way
    SWTOR is a 95% wow clone because it's exactly the same game with minor differences like companions, cut scenes and crafting gimmicks, endgame is same old, open world PVP is dead due to different leveling paths, instanced battlegrounds and Illium, which is just a mess.
    Tera is more like a 70%, with traditional holy trinity and quest based progression but with territorial control and guild vs guild PVP, yeah that's not innovative but it's also not quite common, i mean the last WOW clone with guild vs guild PVP was AoC.
    And sandboxy PVP means community driven PVP, kinda like what Lineage 2 had.
    I wouldn't put "Action combat, territorial control, guild vs guild PVP and open world dungeons," as same old same old, but maybe that's just me, i still remember fanboys like Maverick and popinjay praise SWTOR because it had " Territorial control PVP with objectives on Illium" lol what a joke...
    With all this things that games like Rift & SWTOR lack, Tera could be a nice filler for the people who are interested in ArcheAge, since it has the same focus on community driven PVP.

Numbers like that are just meaningless. TERA may be like 70% themepark to YOU (bc you like some of the stuff in the game and ppl get a more fanboish/positive look when that happens), but to others who don't value those specific things as much as you do, to them that percentage may be a lot higher. Aion had territorial control, AoC had more action styled combat, guild PvP and open world dungeons and both had their own distinctions and still both are regarded as themepark MMO's. Each themepark MMO had its own distinctions and differences, but that didn't make their design non-themepark, nor even hybrid. However you look at it, TERA doesn't look nowhere near a sandbox MMO but more like a full on themepark with action oriented combat and with its own gimmicks.

ArcheAge, I can see how that game can be a true sandbox/themepark hybrid MMO, but TERA, sorry, not really. Even TSW, Firefall and GW2 look less themepark than this one.

But hey, if you enjoy the game, don't feel ashamed or bad about it merely bc it's a themepark MMO and not some wildly innovative MMO or a sandbox hybrid. Having fun is what it's about in the end, not what MMO or type of MMO design you're having it in.

It'll be interesting to see though how MMO gamers who lost their taste for themepark mechanics will feel after playing TERA for some time, but I guess that only time can tell.

So many words just to say "You are right"

You might want to brush up on your reading skills: I was saying that TERA was a full on traditional themepark MMO with no real sandbox elements.

I don't really care if it's a filler MMO for you while you wait for AA, I'm more curious about how most of the MMO gamers in general who've grown tired and sick of themepark MMO's or who're always crying for innovation will regard TERA past the 1st weeks of playing it. I can't really imagine most of those being all that happy with TERA past that time, so those are the ones whose reaction I'll be most curious about.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Let's put it this way

SWTOR is a 95% wow clone because it's exactly the same game with minor differences like companions, cut scenes and crafting gimmicks, endgame is same old, open world PVP is dead due to different leveling paths, instanced battlegrounds and Illium, which is just a mess.

Tera is more like a 70%, with traditional holy trinity and quest based progression but with territorial control and guild vs guild PVP, yeah that's not innovative but it's also not quite common, i mean the last WOW clone with guild vs guild PVP was AoC.

And sandboxy PVP means community driven PVP, kinda like what Lineage 2 had.

I wouldn't put "Action combat, territorial control, guild vs guild PVP and open world dungeons," as same old same old, but maybe that's just me, i still remember fanboys like Maverick and popinjay praise SWTOR because it had " Territorial control PVP with objectives on Illium" lol what a joke...

With all this things that games like Rift & SWTOR lack, Tera could be a nice filler for the people who are interested in ArcheAge, since it has the same focus on community driven PVP.

Numbers like that are just meaningless. TERA may be like 70% themepark to YOU (bc you like some of the stuff in the game and ppl get a more fanboish/positive look when that happens), but to others who don't value those specific things as much as you do, to them that percentage may be a lot higher. Aion had territorial control, AoC had more action styled combat, guild PvP and open world dungeons and both had their own distinctions and still both are regarded as themepark MMO's. Each themepark MMO had its own distinctions and differences, but that didn't make their design non-themepark, nor even hybrid. However you look at it, TERA doesn't look nowhere near a sandbox MMO but more like a full on themepark with action oriented combat and with its own gimmicks.

ArcheAge, I can see how that game can be a true sandbox/themepark hybrid MMO, but TERA, sorry, not really. Even TSW, Firefall and GW2 look less themepark than this one.

But hey, if you enjoy the game, don't feel ashamed or bad about it merely bc it's a themepark MMO and not some wildly innovative MMO or a sandbox hybrid. Having fun is what it's about in the end, not what MMO or type of MMO design you're having it in.

It'll be interesting to see though how MMO gamers who lost their taste for themepark mechanics will feel after playing TERA for some time, but I guess that only time can tell.

So many words just to say "You are right"

You might want to brush up on your reading skills: I was saying that TERA was a full on traditional themepark MMO with no real sandbox elements.

I don't really care if it's a filler MMO for you while you wait for AA, I'm more curious about how most of the MMO gamers in general who've grown tired and sick of themepark MMO's or who're always crying for innovation will regard TERA past the 1st weeks of playing it. I can't really imagine most of those being all that happy with TERA past that time, so those are the ones whose reaction I'll be most curious about.

Lol, i love arguing with you Maverick, you are doing it fine so far, but try to avoid those nasty nerdrages or you will get banned again.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

having a blast

+ i have a ponyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• GodwalkerGodwalker Member Posts: 21

It's an open world.  I don't know where people are getting an idea that it isn't.  It's as open of world as Aion is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Godwalker

It's an open world.  I don't know where people are getting an idea that it isn't.  It's as open of world as Aion is.

If that's the case, then I have to say Aion is not much of an open world. And I am a fan of Aion.

Vanguard is an open world, lineage 2 is an open world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

If they are a monster hunter fan, then they would like TERA. They could just grind BAMs all day, i've been having fun doing it lol. Only managed success with two of the five from level 20-24 so far...it's rather difficult or I could just suck.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Godwalker

If that's the case, then I have to say Aion is not much of an open world. And I am a fan of Aion.

Vanguard is an open world, lineage 2 is an open world.

I agree, it isn't really all that 'open world', just as Aion wasn't, but it felt pretty damn huge and varied (in environment and mobs) so it is more sucessful then that game in it's creation of a 'open' space.

It is also, up to 22, very linear, but by that level I was already seeing it seemingly become less restricted.

The quest experience itself, taking away the combat, is extremely famialr to Aions, just over a bigger space. If someone didn't like the questing in that game they won't like this.

I personally felt the combat is the key to this game... it is good enough to elevate the standard into something better.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Lol, i love arguing with you Maverick, you are doing it fine so far, but try to avoid those nasty nerdrages or you will get banned again.

? Now I see, it's you again, it's the 2nd time you're pulling this crap, is this what you always do whenever you can't come up with normal arguments, you start calling names and BS nonsense? I have no idea who the guy is you keep referring to but I suggest you cut it out, it's getting kinda annoying, and creepy.

Try to come up with normal arguments next time, bc this is kinda silly and immature.
    And yes, the topic was TERA before you went off on a derailing rant.
  • LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Yep, the combat is definitely what makes this game. In previous tests (FGT/CPE) I've been playing mostly melee damage classes. I tried a Mystic once I believe. This time around I decided to try a priest, since I was finally playing with one of my friends who picked a berserker. Boy did we have fun?

Healing in Tera = fucking amazing. I was actually a bit surprised, and sort of bumbed out that I hadn't tried it in any of the earlier tests. I'm also glad to say that my friend got hooked right away thanks to the combat system. :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm having fun so far as well. The world is fun, big and cute. However, over all it's still just a re-imagining of the same old MMORPG formula that has caused the genre to stagnate.

As much as I like the game after two days, it has pretty much the same checklist of flaws and limitations that TOR, RIFT, Age of Conan and a number of other titles have had over the last half decade. I liked those games as well during the first couple weeks, but the flaws outweighed the things I did enjoy somewhere between the 3 week mark (TOR) and the 3 month mark (Rift and AoC).

If this game had come out a few years ago, it might have really kicked some butt. However, a few true "next generation", innovative titles are also on the horizon and as fun a first impression as this game gives, I'm just not how well it will hold up as the genre is poised to move on.

I'm going to continue to play in every test and hope I find a game worth subscribing to, but I'm not sure it's going to offer enough.

It's really too bad this game isn't Buy to Play, or using a F2P model similar to Lord of the Rings Online. I'd almost certainly play come release if it wasn't a $60 box and $15/month after the first month. I'm not ruling out that I may buy and subscribe, but I'm going to need a lot more convincing.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Garvon3

Bit late on that, Darkfalls had this for years. Are there instances in TERA? If not, it's not an open world worth playing it.

Saying Darkfall has action combat is like sayin Skyrim has action combat, which it doesn't.

Also what do you mean with your question? If there are no instances in TERA, it's not an open world worth playing? 0o

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by Beiloch

I'm interested in knowing what people think is 'missing' from TERA when they say combat isn't enough? Seems to have all the basics covered.

Then again I care very little about things like crafting and PvP so maybe I'm just not seeing it. I do know any kind of true form of 'raiding' isn't in right now but they did confirm they have raid type content on the way.

While I agree the combat is better than the standard fare we have been given lately, I really would have liked to have the ability to double tap my movement keys to roll in that direction.  I only got to lvl 10 so I'm not 100% sure its not in as I forgot to try it :)

Quests were crap so far.  just the usual kill x and collect y jobbies but despite that I liked the game enough to intend on buying when it releases.

Didnt get far enough in to try out any crafting..  Anyone got the low down??

• Arawulf2Arawulf2 Member Posts: 14

Keep in mind ... in the West, content is king ... not combat.  I'm more curious about how updated the game will be considering how long its taking to get this game published here in the West.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by sanosukex

at least TERA went with the unreal 3 engine which runs very well with many people on screen.. I dunno why developers would ever make a MMO with an engine not designed for this such as hero engine... either way yes tera made good choice with the engine. Also just wanted to mention FINALLY no blocky shadows!!! after Skyrim and TOR I was getting sick of horrible aliased shadows

The hero engine is just fine with multiple characters on the screen, at least the current version i was using. God knows what biware done to it to make it perform so badly. The hero engine is built from the ground up as a MMORPG engine. Unreal is not designed this way but it seems a few companies have used it well now so thats a deffinate + :)

Anyway I do enjoy the Combat in tera its good fun, i had been playing on the Korean server for a bit, got into the EU beta and realised i was just skipping through the quests like i did on the K server without reading them.. I then noticed myself getting bored as the client is stable so not really finding any bugs to report..

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Arawulf

Keep in mind ... in the West, content is king ... not combat.  I'm more curious about how updated the game will be considering how long its taking to get this game published here in the West.

It will just follow what Korea and Japan have for now. I am not sure if the development will ramp up after EU/US launch the game. However, the pace of players devour content nowadays is way faster than any studio can make. 

I also have another question though. Is bluehole going to modify the game base on the US/EU feedback ?  Or we are mainly going to get what was done for Korea/Japan. If they are going to modify the game based on US/EU, doesnt that mean they will need another team to do this ? 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Originally posted by Arawulf

It will just follow what Korea and Japan have for now. I am not sure if the development will ramp up after EU/US launch the game. However, the pace of players devour content nowadays is way faster than any studio can make. 

I also have another question though. Is bluehole going to modify the game base on the US/EU feedback ?  Or we are mainly going to get what was done for Korea/Japan. If they are going to modify the game based on US/EU, doesnt that mean they will need another team to do this ? 

Koreans will complain about a lot of the things we do to be honest, warriors were way too difficult to play and made for really confusing tanks and poor dps. They are getting a combo point system like WoW rogues to bump dps, have been nerfed as tanks and now can be a viable dps. With TERAs ninth class coming later this year they will probably add in a new tank.

Bluehole also seems to pump out content at a pretty good rate, this month level cap is raising, 4 new zones are opening up, two new dungeons, 3 new SUPER BAMs and dynamic monster invasion events are being added(kind of like rift).

As well as daily quests that earn you points for special jewellery crystals(4 slots one for each piece), cosmetic items like hats/mounts and various other things.