Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real fantasy world!

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Benjola

Well, the game didn't really scream originality to me, so far it feels like a mix of AION, AoC and Vanguard.

Agreed.

and it's a mix that really works IMO.

Evolution is often a better road then invention, especially in a market that in truth has very little paitence for doing things differently (no matter what a few vocal claim to want).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by NBlitz 

High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

What you and others are wanting are low fantasy settings.

totally agree blitz.

I like both high and low fantasy settings, the ethereal and the gritty, myself. I can love any fantasical setting that's done well, whatever it's tone.

Criticing a game thats been designed as being high fantasy like Tera has for not being 'realistic' is... confusing.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by Asheram

Aren't all video games "real fantasy worlds"?

Exactly but people wont stop saying its a copy of everythign they ever played.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by kaco

Its kinda sad how many folks are so shallow to say its this game 2.0 or that game 2.0. why dont you just stop and read the quests and realise its a different story? Who frikkin cares if it has the same shade of green as wow or the same shade of blue as Aion that dont mean they are remotely the same world or story.

If what your after is the end game then stick with what your playing and you wont need to bother other people playing other games.

It is a nice game, nice story, nice mechanics. While at the moment it seems a bit dead just grinding quests. I was hoping for a bit more with dynamic events but i am only lvl 10 atm. ITs fun.

First, disclaimer.  I like Tera.  That being said, when I play it I can't help but feel like I've seen it before in 2 games.  Lineage 2 and Aion.  Now, Tera does it better than both games combined, so that's a good thing.  But you can't stop someone's memory of other games kicking in when playing a title unless that title is truly unique, which it's not.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by elocke

Its kinda sad how many folks are so shallow to say its this game 2.0 or that game 2.0. why dont you just stop and read the quests and realise its a different story? Who frikkin cares if it has the same shade of green as wow or the same shade of blue as Aion that dont mean they are remotely the same world or story.

If what your after is the end game then stick with what your playing and you wont need to bother other people playing other games.

It is a nice game, nice story, nice mechanics. While at the moment it seems a bit dead just grinding quests. I was hoping for a bit more with dynamic events but i am only lvl 10 atm. ITs fun.

First, disclaimer.  I like Tera.  That being said, when I play it I can't help but feel like I've seen it before in 2 games.  Lineage 2 and Aion.  Now, Tera does it better than both games combined, so that's a good thing.  But you can't stop someone's memory of other games kicking in when playing a title unless that title is truly unique, which it's not.

Your point is what I was thinking just not good at putting it into words. Yes it reminds me of some other games I have played but for me it in no way plays the same.

The games tend to be made to make people feel like it is familiar, like you say, so that maybe more people will come to play it but you are not saying its an exact clone of those other games.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Huang Cher Ung, the art director of Tera acted as art director of Lineage II in NCsoft for 6 years.

That's why you see similarities, elocke ^^

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Huang Cher Ung, the art director of Tera acted as art director of Lineage II in NCsoft for 6 years.

Ah, that explains it.  I always did like the artwork in L2 just not the gameplay.  Same with Aion.  So, with Tera having the similar artwork but very different gameplay, it's Win/Win ;D

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

We all understand that and I don't really care who came up with the design first, the fact is AION launched it first and the game going F2P doesn't help Tera at all because people can have simmilar experience for free.

Not to mention AoC is F2P now too and after playing Tera for 3 sessions I still preffer AoC melee combat over Tera's.

2011 was the year of F2P transformation of many ex-AAA titles and that fact will most definately hurt Tera.

Tera needs an originality oomph if it wants to succeed in the west as a P2P MMO and it should come from the PVP side.

The politics thing looks promising but I really think Tera should have gone hardcore PVP from the start so it can carve a niche for itself.

The ultra easy PVE content tells me they opted for mainstream audience, hope it works for them.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

<rant>

I wasn't talking to you.

I wasn't talking to you.

You mad that some of us don't like 'your' game?

You sure show the symptoms.

I wasn't talking to you.

You mad that some of us don't like 'your' game?

You sure show the symptoms.

Oh of course not. If I were mad I wouldn't be browsing the forums just to make it worse.

It's easy, please read: elocke said there's something familiar to TERA and he mentioned Lineage II. I knew the art director was the same so I mentioned that, in reply to him

You reply to me and go off on a tangent. Completely opposite the aim of my post.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

The ultra easy PVE content tells me they opted for mainstream audience, hope it works for them.

If you played the game you would know it`s not ultra easy...try the 58 hardmode dungeons or soloìng any BAM your level. It`s far from èasy`.

I don't feel like grinding to 58 just to experience some challenging content.

It should be the case from early levels.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by marinrider

What you just said does not give me any idication that it is a "real fantasy world" it only tells me that its visuals are Aion 2.0.  What about the WORLD itself? Does it feel like a world or does it feel like a hallway?

Rather hard to say yet, the game have just been up for a day.

I can say a little about the starting area though (I played 10 levels). It is pretty basic and about the same quality story wise as the staring isle in EQ2.

It is really beutifully designed with ruins, flowers and butterflies but the story is not amazing or anything. Quests are usually short and easy, I was close to dying once but beside that I have not gotten below 50% so it is rather easy in the beginning at least.

The negative thing I can say about the first 10 levels is that I feel that the quests could be a bit larger, they have been short and simple so far.

But I have played maybe 8 hours and only seen the starting zone so I am not sure if that is just too learn the ropes or not.

The combat is not that complicated but it still feels rather fresh to me unlike Rift.

But the "armors" in the game is really silly, who ever heard of a chainmail that doesn´t even cover the panties? The weapons are manga oversized in a way Final fantasy fans should like.

But it have actually been pretty fun so far. :)

As I said, the armors don´t look like they protect anything...

And why would we want the panties covered up? :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Kemengul

The world I have explored is quite expansive and atmospheric. True, the game dows have a bread crum quest arc. But I definitly  feel the world is rungs above anything i'v played before.

Exactly, once I got to Velika, it truely felt huge, open and massive.

I went off exploring over the mountains to the desert, it's just so open and huge. Really has a nice atmosphere.

Quite right. I did the quests in Velika, got myself the pony and went to the next location that I was designated to quest. Instead of starting quests there, I opted to explore a bit. Damn, the world is BIG BIG BIG. And not big as in large and empty, but large and filled. I visited around 3 area's (well, went through them) in 1 hour (on the pony) and liked what I saw there.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by echolynfan

What you just said does not give me any idication that it is a "real fantasy world" it only tells me that its visuals are Aion 2.0.  What about the WORLD itself? Does it feel like a world or does it feel like a hallway?

I can say a little about the starting area though (I played 10 levels). It is pretty basic and about the same quality story wise as the staring isle in EQ2.

It is really beutifully designed with ruins, flowers and butterflies but the story is not amazing or anything. Quests are usually short and easy, I was close to dying once but beside that I have not gotten below 50% so it is rather easy in the beginning at least.

The negative thing I can say about the first 10 levels is that I feel that the quests could be a bit larger, they have been short and simple so far.

But I have played maybe 8 hours and only seen the starting zone so I am not sure if that is just too learn the ropes or not.

The combat is not that complicated but it still feels rather fresh to me unlike Rift.

But the "armors" in the game is really silly, who ever heard of a chainmail that doesn´t even cover the panties? The weapons are manga oversized in a way Final fantasy fans should like.

Because women aren't objects that exist purely for your sexual pleasures and/or fantasies.  The skimpy armor for females in most fantasy games is insulting to anyone (male or female) with a modicum of decency.  Not because nudity or sex is bad, but because most of the time its only done to female characters which shows the mysoginy and sexism embedded in the game and the culture of the developers in general.

Until my penis is hanging out of my half-trousers or women actually get sensible armor there will be no justice.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Badgered86

Because women aren't objects that exist purely for your sexual pleasures and/or fantasies.  The skimpy armor for females in most fantasy games is insulting to anyone (male or female) with a modicum of decency.  Not because nudity or sex is bad, but because most of the time its only done to female characters which shows the mysoginy and sexism embedded in the game and the culture of the developers in general.

Until my penis is hanging out of my half-trousers or women actually get sensible armor there will be no justice.

My wife enjoyed the game but she told me what kind of self respecting woman would like to run around looking like a complete tramp in the game. I just smiled and told her, it is just us guys. lol

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Its also sad when someone fails to understand someones point.  The Aion 2.0 comment had nothing to do with color, quests, story or Aion in general, he was referring to one specific aspect of Aion which you failed to realize because he didnt spell it out for you.

His point was that Aion is pretty but linear and small.  Nothing about story, nothing about color noghing about questing.  Aion was a pretty game but the game was totally boxed in by mountains and invisible barriers you couldnt cross.  It was slightly better than a console game.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Badgered86

I'm sorry...didn't get the memo on that and anyone offended by females wearing skimpy armor is either a feminazi or a male not wired correctly :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Kemengul

The world I have explored is quite expansive and atmospheric. True, the game dows have a bread crum quest arc. But I definitly  feel the world is rungs above anything i'v played before.

Exactly, once I got to Velika, it truely felt huge, open and massive.

I went off exploring over the mountains to the desert, it's just so open and huge. Really has a nice atmosphere.

Quite right. I did the quests in Velika, got myself the pony and went to the next location that I was designated to quest. Instead of starting quests there, I opted to explore a bit. Damn, the world is BIG BIG BIG. And not big as in large and empty, but large and filled. I visited around 3 area's (well, went through them) in 1 hour (on the pony) and liked what I saw there.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Go south of Velika to the desert, it`s pretty awesome. I also went to all those zones. So much fun just exploring, people don`t realize this game is very very open.

I`ve got picture too!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

image - Really awesome and funny action shot.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

:(

I love this game but story doesn't mean jack. Many WoW-clones have had a completely different story. Quest text doesn't matter. It matters how you feel as you run around the game. Most of the recent fare, to me, has felt as if I was playing WoW on an alternate server, so I dodn't have my gold, my friends, my guild.

TERA is win so far.

In this game I feel like I'm actually playing a different game. My tank doesn't mindlessly press the same rotation, he blocks when something big is incoming,.. .and that's huge for me. Holy Shield is so 7 years ago.

Not sure if HS exitsted in Vanilla*.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

I enjoyed the korean beta and I will definietely play the EU version, the combat system is fresh and what recent game was released in a finished state with all the features implemented + innovative? I cant really recall any. I believe that with some time this game could grow to something very beautiful and enjoyable for people to play. I also think that even if its missing lots of stuff it is released in a more finished state than many other western games these days due to investors pushing for fast money and fast results. I also dont know what updates has come to the game since the korean closed beta and launch.

Hopefully a change of pace. : )

Originally posted by Kuro1n

I enjoyed the korean beta and I will definietely play the EU version, the combat system is fresh and what recent game was released in a finished state with all the features implemented + innovative? I cant really recall any. I believe that with some time this game could grow to something very beautiful and enjoyable for people to play. I also think that even if its missing lots of stuff it is released in a more finished state than many other western games these days due to investors pushing for fast money and fast results. I also dont know what updates has come to the game since the korean closed beta and launch.

Hopefully a change of pace. : )

So much was added since Korean closed BETA and another massive update is coming in about two weeks.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I know what I'm about to say will generate a lot of heat and take into consideration that I'm still pretty early in the game but I'm not really compelled with the game so far. I hear about how great the characters and fantasy world is but to be honest, that aspect of the game feels like your typical asian MMO. Not trying to insult the game at all but in that regard, I'm not impressed. Just being honest but we'll see how my view changes the more I play the game.

Originally posted by Jakard

I know what I'm about to say will generate a lot of heat and take into consideration that I'm still pretty early in the game but I'm not really compelled with the game so far. I hear about how great the characters and fantasy world is but to be honest, that aspect of the game feels like your typical asian MMO. Not trying to insult the game at all but in that regard, I'm not impressed. Just being honest but we'll see how my view changes the more I play the game.

The NA version doesn't have the high-res textures implemented unfortunately and even then the EU version doesn't seem to look as good as the Korean one. 

It depends on the region for me too, some places are not immersive and just feel pretty typical, but TERA has some designs and landscapes no game has pulled off as good imo. It's a really versatile world at later levels.