Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How well you believe Archeage will do in the west?

13»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by spaceport

ArcheAge will grow instead of decline.

Of course, for some people, AA will simply be too much for them.

We have an entire generation of WOW players who never played an MMO in their lifes,  i expect lots of QQ of single player rpg players, but thats ok, it means the game is a true MMORPG.

I dunno, it sounds good but games have sounded good in the past but been bad once we gotten them, and that goes double for Korean games...

I will get hyped for it once I tried a little, before that I will keep an eye out for news but nothing more.

So many people have said that that or this game is a true old school great MMO and so far once the games have gotten released they have at best been so so.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I was kind of interesting in AA at first, but now I am more skeptical about it.

Why is it that they cant find a NA Publisher, if its as good as people are hyping it up to be?

something seem fishy.

But in your opinion, how well do you believe Archeage will be in the west?

Edit: this was meant to be in the AA forum. my mistake,.

It will do good enough.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Loke666

I dunno, it sounds good but games have sounded good in the past but been bad once we gotten them, and that goes double for Korean games...

I will get hyped for it once I tried a little, before that I will keep an eye out for news but nothing more.

So many people have said that that or this game is a true old school great MMO and so far once the games have gotten released they have at best been so so.

that games had NDA. archeage does not have it so you not only hear the features from developer but also see them yourself. i think it will do better than any other korean or any sandbox game in the west. it cant be a huge success though unless they open up wow type PVE servers

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I have learned my lesson that I can never really judge a game until I get my hands on the thing and play it. Yes AA has all the right parts and features that I'm looking for in a game. Yet that's not always enough, sometimes there are unforseen things that just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

All I can say is I will be buying it when it comes out here and giving it a go. Then I will make my decision on whether or not I think it'll do well. It has potential but so did Aion, FFXIV, WAR, Vandguard, and a few others that I couldn't stick with.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by 0guz

Originally posted by Loke666

that games had NDA. archeage does not have it so you not only hear the features from developer but also see them yourself. i think it will do better than any other korean or any sandbox game in the west. it cant be a huge success though unless they open up wow type PVE servers

QFE

I haven't bought any MMORPG since Age of Conan, was interested in some but lost interest after beta/trials.

BUT - ArcheAge has enough info and first-hand videos for me that I will gladly PRE-ORDER it when it becomes available in Europe.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

I feel arche age will grow similar to Eve, although on a larger scale.

Eve started off very small yet has continuously grown each year.

I feel AA will start off with a around 500k-800k subs.

aslong as the game lives up to its promise, and there is no reason to think it wont, i see it slowly gaining subs every year probably topping off around 1.2 million.

I think it will have a good retention value as the game offers players more than most every other game. what i mean by that is that the players are invested in more than just the gear they are wearing or the mount they are riding, such has WoW or Tor players. AA players will have houses, farms, lands, castles etc.

I recall spending many a day in SWG having engaged in ZERO combat what so ever. I decorated my house, tended to my harvester farms, socialized in a cantina or crafted new armor. AA offers me many of the same things. things that many a wstern player have been begging for for years.

the game is more than just "get me some shiney new armor".

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

To me, the game screams exploration, persistence, actual teamwork, longevity and fun... many things that are missing from the current crop of MMOs. I don't care if the game has 10 million or 10,000 subs... as long as I get to play it at some point!!!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

considering how well Lineage 2 did in the western markets, i dont see why archage wont be succesful.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

One thing that might limit it's appeal in West, at least with the casual gamers (which im sure sandboxers won't mind that), is the time constraints. Seems like AA will need plenty of time played to gahter resources, build, etc to compete or do the things that make this game unique. I've only watched a few vids and read some articles, but seems like it would be daunting to casuals, so that could limit numbers by a lot. If they can satisfy 500k sanboxers/pvpers than it still would be a success (and might have a better community).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    AA's financial success in the west depends on sucessfully allow each player to control their level of risk and limit interference by other players.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Originally posted by Kyleran

AA's financial success in the west depends on sucessfully allow each player to control their level of risk and limit interference by other players.

^^

Just a diplomatic way of saying "If it's non-consensual PVP it will result in a grief/gankfest and it will fail."  :)

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

I think it will get 6.25 million subs.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by Quirhid

Haven't seen any good vids on it yet - haven't seen any combat vids at all. And I know its not fair to judge an unfinished game but... I am not impressed.

You can find a ton of videos of just about anything and everything about AA on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67288C785BA81366&feature=plcp <-- fex. a big playlist just about everything.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

It's very safe to say it's going to be a strong competitor within the MMO industry, all being well.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by DrinkFeck

It's very safe to say it's going to be a strong competitor within the MMO industry, all being well.

if they wont let players wait too long for it.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by m0lly

Yeah, because there's so many MMOs like AA that XL Games have to worry about.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

What?  They STILL don't have a publisher?  I stopped watching AA news except for their videos that they put up every once in a while on Youtube.  I was hoping that by not paying as much attention to it, the time it took to come to NA wouldn't seem so long.  But, still??  Why won't anyone pick this up?  It's awesome looking.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Originally posted by m0lly

Yeah, because there's so many MMOs like AA that XL Games have to worry about.

There is enough to worry about, given the level of people's patience. If the hype train is starting now, and we have yet to see a publisher, let alone work on a western version even begin, we have a looooooong time before we see this playable in the west. Certainly not 2012, and at this point, unless there is a new development soon, there is little hope for 2013, and who knows how long after that.

While this game does pique my interest, I do not dare let myself get excited about this one. Not yet anyway.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I think it will do really good. Usually, imo, eastern games dont do so well in the west because they are both really grindy and have this manga/anime style with pre-teen girls in short skirts and oversized weapons. However, from what I have heard, ArcheAge has neither of these aspects.

It just seems like a kick-ass hybrid sandbox/themepark MMO.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Benjola

Originally posted by Kyleran

^^

Just a diplomatic way of saying "If it's non-consensual PVP it will result in a grief/gankfest and it will fail."  :)

Well, I suppose so, but I think Dev's need to come up with limits to ganking, much like EVE does.  You can (and probably will) be killed just about anywhere, but the design keeps it to a reasonable limit.

But you're correct, if it devolves into unrestricted killing the title is destined to remain firmly in the niche market here in the west.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon