Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How well you believe Archeage will do in the west?

Comments

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by dr4ygon

I have played a bit of archeage luckily from a uni freind who is from south korea, granted i only played for an hour or so but I will say from that short play time I got a pretty good feel for the game.

I honestly am doubtful that the asian styling of the game will go down well here, I certainly kept asking myself hmmm will this work, and honestly I don' t really think it will. It might look like a small issue on the surface but really this is a game people will look at playing for the foreseeable future and something like this will end up getting to people, I mean it started getting to me after my short play time. Granted this is just me people may be more willing to accept the stlying than I was.

The game itself in terms of gameplay is pretty fun, nothing extradoniary but it is fun nonetheless, the spell effects were really nice to look at and combat was pretty responsive, aside from the slightly annoying gcd.

I won't really say much more as I only played for a short amount of time. Do I think archeage will be the second coming of jesus? No. Do I think it will do well here? Yes but I don't imagine it to be the roaring success people think it will be, mostly down to the style of the game and the linearity of the early levels and questing.

Not for nothing but Asian "style" is making a huge impact on US daily life. In all aspects of there culture. But it is a mtter of taste and if the Asian flair isent your cup of tea then thats fine. There are plenty of other games that you can play. I happen to love Asian theamed anything. From home decore to art style.

But there are some out there that love that picket fence, countrey cozy home decor. I myself hate that style so i dont go out buying tin stars to nail to the outside of my house or birdhouse borrders to put up in my kitchen. So if you cant even get past the art style of AA then just dont even buy the game to see what its about. Unless you have an open mind.

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

Originally posted by kantseeme

I have played a bit of archeage luckily from a uni freind who is from south korea, granted i only played for an hour or so but I will say from that short play time I got a pretty good feel for the game.

I honestly am doubtful that the asian styling of the game will go down well here, I certainly kept asking myself hmmm will this work, and honestly I don' t really think it will. It might look like a small issue on the surface but really this is a game people will look at playing for the foreseeable future and something like this will end up getting to people, I mean it started getting to me after my short play time. Granted this is just me people may be more willing to accept the stlying than I was.

The game itself in terms of gameplay is pretty fun, nothing extradoniary but it is fun nonetheless, the spell effects were really nice to look at and combat was pretty responsive, aside from the slightly annoying gcd.

I won't really say much more as I only played for a short amount of time. Do I think archeage will be the second coming of jesus? No. Do I think it will do well here? Yes but I don't imagine it to be the roaring success people think it will be, mostly down to the style of the game and the linearity of the early levels and questing.

Not for nothing but Asian "style" is making a huge impact on US daily life. In all aspects of there culture. But it is a mtter of taste and if the Asian flair isent your cup of tea then thats fine. There are plenty of other games that you can play. I happen to love Asian theamed anything. From home decore to art style.

But there are some out there that love that picket fence, countrey cozy home decor. I myself hate that style so i dont go out buying tin stars to nail to the outside of my house or birdhouse borrders to put up in my kitchen. So if you cant even get past the art style of AA then just dont even buy the game to see what its about. Unless you have an open mind.

I did say in my post that it may just be me and other people may take more to the asian style than I have.

I have nothing against asian style games they just don't work  for me. Not to say I would wish archeage does badly, but I have doubts about it being a big success here. If I'm proved wrong I will happily accept that.

Originally posted by kantseeme

But there are some out there that love that picket fence, country cozy home decor. I myself hate that style so i dont go out buying tin stars to nail to the outside of my house or birdhouse borrders to put up in my kitchen. So if you cant even get past the art style of AA then just dont even buy the game to see what its about. Unless you have an open mind.

I did say in my post that it may just be me and other people may take more to the asian style than I have.

I have nothing against asian style games they just don't work  for me. Not to say I would wish archeage does badly, but I have doubts about it being a big success here. If I'm proved wrong I will happily accept that.

No im not saying you would wish the game ill will in fact i was agreeing with you. Everyone has different tastes so there should be games that fit that taste. from theams to sands from west to east. If its not for you thats cool.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

For my part, it would just be nice to see a decently developed game with some of the sandbox elements which are absent in so many new games.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Archeage probably can't find a publisher in the west for the same reason that no AAA sandbox titles can get developed in the west.   It seems like investors and others with $ have convinced themselves that anything with the word "sandbox" in it has to be niche, and will never have mass appeal.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

Archeage probably can't find a publisher in the west for the same reason that no AAA sandbox titles can get developed in the west.   It seems like investors and others with $ have convinced themselves that anything with the word "sandbox" in it has to be niche, and will never have mass appeal.

We dont know that they "cant" find a publisher for AA. For all we know they have people beating down there door to publish this game in the west. At the moment all we can do is speculate as to why there as been no annoucment of a western publisher. They may have one right now but just hasent made the info public. Who knows.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I actually think it's just hybrid enough to pull in fans from both sides ...

Who doesn't like a slide in a sandbox?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

On average I think it will do as well as Aion did.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

I would love to have a game like AA be very successful but I have my doubts.

I would say to expect something along the lines of  maybe Vanguard... a lot of performance issues at launce, niche market so the smaller playerbase if lost can leave the game empty. I really hope that I am wrong and the game is a great success!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

ArcheAge reminds me of Lego, it's not a traditional MMO, it's more a siege / castle warfare game. It's not my thing and I don't think Western players would like this type of Lego combat, on the other hand they liked Minecraft, so maybe.

Originally posted by gekkothegrey

Is this game sandbox?

It's a PVP castle siege / ship / warfare game with battlegrounds from what I understand. If you consider that sandbox debatable I guess.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by CalmOceans

ArcheAge reminds me of Lego, it's not a traditional MMO, it's more a siege / castle warfare game. It's not my thing and I don't think Western players would like this type of Lego combat, on the other hand they liked Minecraft, so maybe.

What do you mean by lego? You mean like too much building of stuff?

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

to the people claiming its too asian looking,....please provide me with a SS of anything anime looking? outside of the 1 race of humans that is designed to look like asians?

I've watched almost every video out there, even the ones in korean and russian...looks pretty "western" to me.

I dont see swords 4 times the size of the avatar, I dont see characters with eyes 3 times as big as they should be, I dont see characters with nothing but chiseled sharp angles for facial features.

I dont see silver and gold armor so bright i can barely see, i dont see  a major lack of shadowing and grit within the armors themselves. i dont see bewbs and abs showing on every armor set. I dont see spiked hair on every male.

I dont see it

to the guy who doubts the game because he hasnt seen any combat vids....my god man, do you know anything about the game? 99% of the vids are combat related. have you even tried?

Im the first one to avoid asian looking and themed games. I hate the look of aion and final fantasy. arche age looks nothing like them

Originally posted by Cuathon

Yes, the castle building and moving of the balistas and artillery etc.

Yes, the castle building and moving of the balistas and artillery etc.

Sounds more like RTS than Lego to me.

Is this game sandbox?

It's a PVP castle siege / ship / warfare game with battlegrounds from what I understand. If you consider that sandbox debatable I guess.

there is one battleground.

I'd consider it a building game that has castle sieges.

you can build a forest, a garden, a house, another house, a garden in your house. castles, towns livestock...what game lets you grow livestock?!?!

you can plant flowers, fruits, nuts...you can climbs a tree and pick its fruit!!!

the posibilities are almost endless

Originally posted by Sebali

Is this game sandbox?

there is one battleground.

I'd consider it a building game that has castle sieges.

you can build a forest, a garden, a house, another house, a garden in your house. castles, towns livestock...what game lets you grow livestock?!?!

you can plant flowers, fruits, nuts...you can climbs a tree and pick its fruit!!!

the posibilities are almost endless

You can grow livestock in ATITD and they have farming minigames to gather farm res. Plus some longer term options.

too much building? /chuckle

sandboxes are all about building.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

ArcheAge will grow instead of decline.

Of course, for some people, AA will simply be too much for them.

We have an entire generation of WOW players who never played an MMO in their lifes,  i expect lots of QQ of single player rpg players, but thats ok, it means the game is a true MMORPG.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by spaceport

We have an entire generation of WOW players who never played an MMO in their lifes,  i expect lots of QQ of single player rpg players, but thats ok, it means the game is a true MMORPG.

I. Love. You.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Sebali

to the people claiming its too asian looking,....please provide me with a SS of anything anime looking? outside of the 1 race of humans that is designed to look like asians?

I've watched almost every video out there, even the ones in korean and russian...looks pretty "western" to me.

I dont see swords 4 times the size of the avatar, I dont see characters with eyes 3 times as big as they should be, I dont see characters with nothing but chiseled sharp angles for facial features.

I dont see silver and gold armor so bright i can barely see, i dont see  a major lack of shadowing and grit within the armors themselves. i dont see bewbs and abs showing on every armor set. I dont see spiked hair on every male.

I dont see it

to the guy who doubts the game because he hasnt seen any combat vids....my god man, do you know anything about the game? 99% of the vids are combat related. have you even tried?

Im the first one to avoid asian looking and themed games. I hate the look of aion and final fantasy. arche age looks nothing like them

i completely agree with this quote. seriously people you are so ignorant you dont even look at the videos or something, you see korean letters and say its anime style game etc.

there are 2 different human races and their capital towns of course. western human(nuian) has western style everything. eastern human race(hariharan) has an eastern style body and cities. they are enemy factions. Even the eastern style human race has half naked armor models for female. you may say the elf male and hariharan male looks gay i agree, whicl elf male doesn't :D

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

The theme isn't asian it's clearly hybrid since they aim for both asian and western market.

And it has something for everyone, pretty much all MMO features we've seen since EQ both themepark and sandbox, both PVE and PVP are all here...and then some.

They are clearly aiming for the stars this game has EVERYTHING!

I think it will be a success and it will most definatelly keep all the old school gamers and sandbox lovers busy for long time and snatch many of the more adventures WoW generation zombies too.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I don't get my hopes up for big games anymore, but if it's what they claim it should be something worth checking out.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by spaceport

I. Love. You.

QFE