Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population rising

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Does anyone know the total box and digital sales of Rift and how much the game has active subs at the moment in comparison? Ty.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Kuinn

Does anyone know the total box and digital sales of Rift and how much the game has active subs at the moment in comparison? Ty.

No it did have over a million subs at launch and a hell of a lot more servers, no idea where it stands currently but I would venture a guess of 300k, then again I could be totally off

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Kuinn

The sales at launch was somewhere near 1.2 million, atm 8 out of 10 servers are sitting at medium prime time, the others are all low population. There is a link at the start of this thread where you can see the pop. figures. Hope that helps, if you've never tried it, go download "lite" or buy it off Steam for 5 bucks, seeing it is probably the best way for you to choose (Even d/l the lite if you have played & thinking for returning so you can check pop. out). :)

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Hm... when you close a ton of servers it seems like more people are playing, not a groundbreaking idea.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by Nimar

Rift is a good game and with interesting game functions. Shame it was put aside when Swtor come out and that turn out to be a big let down.

it was put aside way before Swtor launched. Despite its many regular updates and active devs, Rift has many let downs that dont keep some bunch of people subscribed. I logged in the Rift lite sometimes but i dont think ill resub in a long time (being unsubbed for more than 7 months now)

True, I put it aside when they introduced Nysyr's Brand, a simple 10 point cleric ability (on practically no cooldown) that neutralized a 33 point assassin ability (on 2 minute cooldown).  Now if only they compensated by giving assassins a 10 point ability (on no cooldown) that COMPLETELY eliminated the clerics ability to heal then maybe it would be fair.  Nysyr's brand forced all assassins into a very specific build to counter this, taking basically all flexibility out of the assassin build.  Yawn.  Developers forcing us into cookie cutter builds ruined the game.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Rift is a good game and with interesting game functions. Shame it was put aside when Swtor come out and that turn out to be a big let down.

it was put aside way before Swtor launched. Despite its many regular updates and active devs, Rift has many let downs that dont keep some bunch of people subscribed. I logged in the Rift lite sometimes but i dont think ill resub in a long time (being unsubbed for more than 7 months now)

True, I put it aside when they introduced Nysyr's Brand, a simple 10 point cleric ability (on practically no cooldown) that neutralized a 33 point assassin ability (on 2 minute cooldown).  Now if only they compensated by giving assassins a 10 point ability (on no cooldown) that COMPLETELY eliminated the clerics ability to heal then maybe it would be fair.  Nysyr's brand forced all assassins into a very specific build to counter this, taking basically all flexibility out of the assassin build.  Yawn.  Developers forcing us into cookie cutter builds ruined the game.

That ability no longer exists and was marginally useful at best if a good assasin was on you. As for nerfing clerics healing, assasins are able to slap a 50% debuff on and interrupt and stun the cleric. Very few situations where a competently played assassin ganking a equal gearlevel unsuspecting cleric will loose.

Trion has been very responsive to the community and while the community as a whole never brought that ability up as a valid complaint....they fixed it anyways.

Originally posted by CericX

That ability no longer exists and was marginally useful at best if a good assasin was on you. As for nerfing clerics healing, assasins are able to slap a 50% debuff on and interrupt and stun the cleric. Very few situations where a competently played assassin ganking a equal gearlevel unsuspecting cleric will loose.

Trion has been very responsive to the community and while the community as a whole never brought that ability up as a valid complaint....they fixed it anyways.

Last I checked Nysyr's brand was still there.  They upped the cooldown to 10 seconds I think LOL, but since it stops the ability of the assassin to use slip away for 30 seconds this is hardly a nerf.  And yes, the assassin has a 50% debuff (which is easily insta heal-casted away based on a successful heal cast reducing its effect) on heal which isn't a 100% debuff which would be the equivalent of nysyr's brand.  And yes, there is a counter to Nysyr's brand but if forces the assassin into a very specific build, which was yawntastic for me.

I'm just complaining for old time sake, I'm not asking for a change as I moved on already.  But I just wanted to say why I moved on and it wasn't SWTOR...

Last I checked Nysyr's brand was still there.  They upped the cooldown to 10 seconds I think LOL, but since it stops the ability of the assassin to use slip away for 30 seconds this is hardly a nerf.  And yes, the assassin has a 50% debuff (which is easily insta heal-casted away based on a successful heal cast reducing its effect) on heal which isn't a 100% debuff which would be the equivalent of nysyr's brand.  And yes, there is a counter to Nysyr's brand but if forces the assassin into a very specific build, which was yawntastic for me.

I'm just complaining for old time sake, I'm not asking for a change as I moved on already.  But I just wanted to say why I moved on and it wasn't SWTOR...

You misunderstand. I'm telling you, it is not there anymore. The whole PVP soul was taken out of all classes. Just saying they are responsive to the customer base.

You misunderstand. I'm telling you, it is not there anymore. The whole PVP soul was taken out of all classes. Just saying they are responsive to the customer base.

Really!?!?  Now that is a change for the better I will admit.  The PVP soul they started to make almost mandatory which took away the flexibility of the builds.   Nysyrs's brand FORCED assassins to take at least 10 points (or was it 15 it's been so long I forget?) in the PVP soul to counter it, which basically left very little in terms of flexibility in soul choice.  I used to run an Assassin/Riftstalker mix that, although not theoretically best, was a total blast to play (highly mobile assassin).  I may have to check out again if what you say is true and the calendar of MMO releases and see if it is worth firing up again...

Yup, verify it :P links below!

http://riftsoulbuilder.com/soul_builder

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/cleric/

Great move on their part.  And the two reasons I read why they made the change hits the nail on the head in my opinion (I'm parapraphsing):

1) PVP soul requirement took away some of the builds people were using

2) PVP souls weren't balanced against each other

Those were the two issues I had with them.  Now, looks like they still might re-introduce Nysyrs Brand back as a planar attunement (supposedly they didn't finalize tier 2 or 3 attunements yet) BUT at least if they do I would expect them to balance that with a planar attunement cleanse soul or equivalent for  the assassin to counter it, without requiring assassins to change their fundamental build.  My issue wasn't the fact that there was an ability to hinder stealth (there is always one) but I thought it was unbalanced (point 2 above) to what the rogues got and forced me to change my build to something I didn't find fun (point 1 above).

Now, it may be too late for me as I'm playing a couple other games now (non MMOs) but I certainly would reconsider joining again possibly in the near future.  The soul tree system was very fun for those that like to tinker and mix/match like me.  The more flexibility they allow without forcing into cookie-cutter builds the better in my opinion.

I give them a lot of credit for making such a sweeping change like that, I'm sure some are annoyed.  But it was the right decision as forcing you to take a specific soul goes against the idea of the soul system.  No specific soul should be REQUIRED to be a viable build.

It hurt Clerics and Mages pretty badly. Rogues and Warriors didn't seem to mind.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Likely a combination of the recently released Rift Lite and the fact that it's the gae's 1-year anniversary.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

I just jumped back into Rift last night after leaving the game last fall.   I really respect Trion as a developer so I figured I'd give it another shot.

I started a new char and was really happy to see some guidance in the soul system.  Not enough to ruin the flexibility and customization but just enough to make it very easy to feel good about where you spend your points.

The game play was just as I remembered, decent but nothing mind-blowing. 

I rolled a new char on my old server which used to be pretty active but unfortunately I have yet to run into any other players.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Mythios11

I just jumped back into Rift last night after leaving the game last fall.   I really respect Trion as a developer so I figured I'd give it another shot.

I started a new char and was really happy to see some guidance in the soul system.  Not enough to ruin the flexibility and customization but just enough to make it very easy to feel good about where you spend your points.

I rolled a new char on my old server which used to be pretty active but unfortunately I have yet to run into any other players.

"I rolled a new char on my old server which used to be pretty active but unfortunately I have yet to run into any other players. ""

lol.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

"I rolled a new char on my old server which used to be pretty active but unfortunately I have yet to run into any other players. ""

lol.

Wolfsbane seems to be the most active server these days.  I rolled a new char on there and even the starter area had 5 or 6 people running around.  Silverwood was very active and the level 1-29 chat channel was very reminiscent of "Barrens chat" back in 2005.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

lol.

Wolfsbane seems to be the most active server these days.  I rolled a new char on there and even the starter area had 5 or 6 people running around.  Silverwood was very active and the level 1-29 chat channel was very reminiscent of "Barrens chat" back in 2005.

Same with Briarcliff.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Just too bad the community is so bad now.  You can't play this game without being trolled or spammed.  The trolling is really bad compared to how it used to be.  Not sure if sign of population increase or what, but game is unplayable now imo.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by GrayGreene

Just too bad the community is so bad now.  You can't play this game without being trolled or spammed.  The trolling is really bad compared to how it used to be.  Not sure if sign of population increase or what, but game is unplayable now imo.

How is the community bad now? I'm not playing so I've not clue but I'm curious. The worst community I'd ever dealt with was the Age of Conan community. No one has come close to how bad they were/are. What I'm asking I guess is what are they doing?

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

How is the community bad now? I'm not playing so I've not clue but I'm curious. The worst community I'd ever dealt with was the Age of Conan community. No one has come close to how bad they were/are. What I'm asking I guess is what are they doing?

Screenshot please? Unless Deepwood is just a nice server with a few elistist who are overall queit I got no idea what he is talking about. Now lvl 1-29 chat in the first month, now that was some heavy damn trolling and WoW talk.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Puremallace

Screenshot please? Unless Deepwood is just a nice server with a few elistist who are overall queit I got no idea what he is talking about. Now lvl 1-29 chat in the first month, now that was some heavy damn trolling and WoW talk.

The 1-29 bracket is where the F2P'ers are, and I would imagine a large portion of that group are younger. /shrug

Joined - July 2004

So how is the PVP these days?  I've been gone for several months but might consider resubscribing.  Just found out GW2 thief stealth only works in 3 seconds bursts LOL.  Now I have no game to look forward too so might as well fire up my old rogue in Rift I'm thinking.

Open world was never great when I played but there would always be a little action around the PVP rifts and doing the dailies.  And of course there were the battlegrounds.  I'm assuming they've made some additions/changes since last summer right?

How is it today?  Completely dead?  Not sure what server I was on before I think it might have been deepstrike?

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I too played age of conan, and the globals in that game were definitely worse.  Rift's current community, especially concerning warfronts and globals are bad compared to how it used to be.  I no l onger play the game because of it, quitting a while ago after basically being trolled repeatedly in warfronts.  Just some examples, I was asked if i sucked many xxxxx lately, told to gtfo, ect.  And i was always one of three top dpsers/objective contributors to each warfront.  

Also, many players simply do not respond in public raid groups.  Few seem to go out of their way for anyone in that game anymore.  And for those who say turn off globals, ignore warfront chat, and join a guild . . . . aren't mmorpgs supposed to be social?  Arent we paying for global chat?  Don't we need warfront chat to communicate objectives and organize?  

I'm happy for players who are in good guilds and don't have any issues with the rest of the community. And i'm not trying to take anything away from the game itself.  However, although not as bad as AOC, Rift's community is way worse than games like LOTRO or Everquest 2.    

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Probably getting the dissatisfied SWTOR crowd trickling back in.

Yup.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

So how is the PVP these days?  I've been gone for several months but might consider resubscribing.  Just found out GW2 thief stealth only works in 3 seconds bursts LOL.  Now I have no game to look forward too so might as well fire up my old rogue in Rift I'm thinking.

hmmz well that is a odd design decision. Sort of defeats the purpose of the class. They normalized valor, so basically top gear set and low ran set are equal in valor. They introduced brackets so rank 1-19 and 20-40 normally fight each other. If you are a rank 1-5 and get tossed into a high rank they boost you up to like rank 13, so it still sucks but not as bad.

There is talk of pvp and pve leaderboards in 1.8 along with some mystery 40v40 zone that is supposed to go beyond the 2 faction concept. They have been really really really pushing the "beyond the two faction" thing ever sense they put in the Mercenary system that took war front queue's almost down to nothing.