Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Are the Floodgates Opening?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are few of us who are true MMO aficionados who aren't eagerly anticipating the arrival of Funcom's The Secret World. With its release ostensibly within a few months, Funcom seems to be revving up the info-release engine. See what tidbits we picked up around the 'Net recently and then let us know what you think!

Funcom has always said that the target release for The Secret World is “April 2012”. Still, it’s time for Funcom to get those information wheels grinding and give out some new facts about the game in order to generate buzz and, one can hope, sales for a game that has landed squarely on many people’s “Most Anticipated” list for the year. Happily for us, that actually seems to be happening. In the past couple of weeks, some very interesting information has started leaking out about all sorts of Secret World things, things that will surely get fans slathering for more.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The Secret World: Are the Floodgates Opening?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm just concerned that the launch will go like AOC so reserve judgment on the game really. It's the first mmo I wont have pre-order in a while and will wait to see how it goes post launch. 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Ao,AOC very rough launches! Could this be FC's chance to show us they can't launched a product somewhat polished this time? Or will it be the same old release in a mess and race to fix into a working one, which they do have a good trace record of doing at least,but it will be nice if they can do that before it's released this time.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The only "news" I'm really interested in....

If release is coming in April... how about some pre-order details?

Along with any information about variations in game package.   Will there only be one version... or a collector's version or will it be like the God Slayer expansion that had about 10 different versions (or seemed to at least the digital version that is).

It just seems like we should be getting that kind of news at this point in time...

*edit* or *news* that they are delaying release to polish.... 

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Typical funcom. They sure do have a top notch PR dept. They excel at hyping their games. Pre-order this game at your own risk. You have ample evidence that Funcom is incapable of delivering a decent MMO.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by toddze

Typical funcom. They sure do have a top notch PR dept. They excel at hyping their games. Pre-order this game at your own risk. You have ample information that Funcom is incapable of delivering a decent MMO.

Funcom is more than capable of delivering a decent MMO just not at release. AO and AOC both are amazing MMOS. But for people who like to get stuck in past, they might think otherwise. I am sure you are still bashign AOC on outdated information even though game has improved by leap and bounds.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

Typical funcom. They sure do have a top notch PR dept. They excel at hyping their games. Pre-order this game at your own risk. You have ample evidence that Funcom is incapable of delivering a decent MMO.

+1 I am totally with this guy.   Dont believe the hype just by watching some videos, gameplay is totally diff in game.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Perhaps we can be more cautious with hype/reviews this time around.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Same here, if your company doesn't have a good reputation, you don't get my money till its a proven winner.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Shivam

Typical funcom. They sure do have a top notch PR dept. They excel at hyping their games. Pre-order this game at your own risk. You have ample information that Funcom is incapable of delivering a decent MMO.

Funcom is more than capable of delivering a decent MMO just not at release. AO and AOC both are amazing MMOS. But for people who like to get stuck in past, they might think otherwise. I am sure you are still bashign AOC on outdated information even though game has improved by leap and bounds.

I played the AoC expansion rise of the god slayer, whenever that was first released, they still hadnt learned anything at that point. I cant speak for the current f2p expansion (thats not free btw), but if it took AoC that long to become a decent MMO, ill look into playing TSW 4 years after release. On second thought ill just pass all together. Funcom will be funcom.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I know AoC was a train wreck of a release.  I just hope the current team learned from that.  If there is an OBT I'll certainly have a look.  Mind you, I'm such a sucker for a new MMO I know I'll go buy on release day despite any online posturing and hot air I blather on the tinterwebz !!

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have tried the TSW beta for a few hours and I really liked it and technically it was solid. I have some friends with beta as well, and they have 30 hours+ /played and haven't had any problems with lag, disconnects or crashes.

I have played AoC as well, and have to agree that technically it was a mess. It has improved performance wise, for instance load times in the expansion areas are very good now compared to launch. They still have problems though.

My point is that I have tried both AoC and TSW and TSW looks better and more stable in beta than AoC ever has. ;)

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Shivam

I played the AoC expansion rise of the god slayer, whenever that was first released, they still hadnt learned anything at that point. I cant speak for the current f2p expansion (thats not free btw), but if it took AoC that long to become a decent MMO, ill look into playing TSW 4 years after release. On second thought ill just pass all together. Funcom will be funcom.

4 years a bit of exxageration but that is what beta is for. I on the other hand never write off a game without playing it only because company screwed up in past.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Hate to say it but after the SWTOR scam I won't believe any DEV until their game is out.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I wouldn't say AoC is spectacular right now so I have my doubts about TSW. But we will see.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I have not heard much about beta.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Not buying this

Fool me once, shame on you

Fool me twice, spend more on developing instead of PR
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by nomss

closed beta has been running for a year now, if you search, you can find some beta footage.... but it is still under NDA

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by nomss

It's under NDA and started in may 2011. I have tried it for a few hours and it was to my liking atleast.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm while Anarchy Online's Launch was the absolute worst launch i have ever had being apart of, that game went on to recieve multiple game of the year awards.

Age of Conan got plenty of accolades later on also.

I state this because if the third times the charm for Funcom, then TSW might be one of the best MMO's to date, but thats saying it with a huge grain of salt.

Either way i am so over and done with pre-ordering, as with rift if you really feel the need to get those pre-order specials, just wait they will be offered to you later.

TSW holds my attention because of one main fact ..... 3 Factions. 

This idea was brought to the MMO community in a wonderful game called Dark Age of Cemelot. Its too bad the creators of DAoC dropped this idea when they made Warhammer Online. GW2 has a simmilar idea with 3 servers competing, but i like Funcoms approach better.

Wont matter to me, i intend to buy both games and play the hell out of them.

Lolipops !

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    People that are concerned about TSW turning out to be like AOC I can understand however, here's the kicker, two different development teams.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Are the Floodgates Opening?

Yep, and the shit is about to hit the turbines! 

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

not worried about the launch at all, havent had a good launch in 13 years of gaming. bad launches are expected and have become part of the whole experience, so in a year you can look back and say "wow, remember that first day..............."

Looking forward to this and a few others. I wont complain at all, i dont make games so i have no right too.

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Aoc. I still remember beta and the first month.
    Aoc had so many problems. So many bugs.
    It took them years to fix it. Years.
    And I am sure it isn't all fixed. Doors in the middle of a field? Why!!!!
    Anyways, no thanks.
  • Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

Been following this for about a year and a half now and they are pretty tight with the info which is fine, but annoying.

Still making an April 2012 release, no way, unless they have had 10,000 closed beta testers working round the clock under threat of death not to disclose anything.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Pest138

Been following this for about a year and a half now and they are pretty tight with the info which is fine, but annoying.

Still making an April 2012 release, no way, unless they have had 10,000 closed beta testers working round the clock under threat of death not to disclose anything.

Those 2 sentences are contradictory. How can you predict that there's no way they'll make the April deadline yet also say there is very little info in the same breath? I get that you're trying to say there should be more leaks on the net than there are, but still.

I'm still sad over the lack of PvP with the game but i'll probably still try it at some point.