Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people duel?

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Jesus Christ, I don't even care much for dueling myself but some of you have such a negative and skewed version of those that do.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Jesus Christ, I don't even care much for dueling myself but some of you have such a negative and skewed version of those that do.

Yeah I agree, maybe I just grew used to this in older games, as it was a normal every social hub visit occurance. Or I just carry a different mentality due to being weaned on Skill based (true character building) systems. In those games duels were a normal way of testing the strength of your build against another. Back then It didn't really seem to be an epeen thing, it was more akin to a measure of self reflection rather than of outward aggression. WIth the Esport mentality today many things have changed in regard to appearance and perception.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GreenHell

What it sounded to me like is only fighting when they know they will win, which is a different motivation than fighting to gain. I hate having those folks on my side to be perfectly honest, they're worthless when things get tough.

I see it as a mercenary kind of attitude. You basically do not fight for free and if you can stack the odds up in your favor thats even better. In a game like WoW or ToR that attitude doesnt fit but in a game where you can lose something it makes sense. It is a bit more realistic and the people you are fighting are going to try and do the same thing. I could be wrong but I don't see him ganking noobs in the starting area for fun. Maybe I am reading him totally wrong though. Dunno really that was just my take on what he was saying.

You've read me perfectly, I would never gank a lowbie, in fact I would never attack anyone because in a fair fight I'm sure I'll lose and in a lopsided fight in my favor, what would be the point?
    Now all bets are off if I'm defending my guilds turf, or am attacked by others, or as part of a guild operation, but just random PVP, not intersting to me.
    As far as me admitting my suckage in MMO PVP I'm fine with that, at my age I've been successful at enough things in real life I can live with my lack of ability in this area.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Kyleran

As far as me admitting my suckage in MMO PVP I'm fine with that, at my age I've been successful at enough things in real life I can live with my lack of ability in this area.

Hehe...I'm willing to bet you're rather good at PvP. Frankly, from my experience, the biggest braggarts in this regard are usually the ones that suck at it the most.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by nomss

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

I don't duel people I don't know. If I'm in a guild and I know that person well then yes, because I can trust that person not to kill me, send me to the cloner(or whatever) and then post non stop "I pwned joo." Dueling IS good for testing out builds, but I find the majority of the people who want to duel, aren't doing it for that reason. One of the first things I do in these games is to automatically refuse duel requests. If I want to PVP, I know where to go for it. When I'm not PVPing, I'm doing something else and I hate having to stop what I'm doing just to respond to a duel request.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I only had one person ask me to duel, and he was a guildie about 20 levels above me that wanted to show me how tough he was.  Meh...if it makes him feel good about himself why not.  I dueled him and lost but I wasn't expecting to win.  

He must have liked it because he asked me to duel him several more times afterward.  Maybe he just liked hitting on me.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

-need to not post when its late-

• TheGnarloTheGnarlo Member Posts: 1

And, like most of the other folks here, that negative impression is from a decade plus of blind duel requests without a single word first, 95% of the time coming from someone jumping around and around and around like a hyperactive bunny. 

Even the Kzinti know to scream first, then leap.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by TheGnarlo

And, like most of the other folks here, that negative impression is from a decade plus of blind duel requests without a single word first, 95% of the time coming from someone jumping around and around and around like a hyperactive bunny. 

Even the Kzinti know to scream first, then leap.

well to give then some slack, since we don't have then in vent or some other voice com, they can be yelling in RL when the char is jumping :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • InshallaInshalla Member Posts: 75

Duel requests are like those martial arts practitioners who "fight" in controled environments on test dummies or padded sparring.

The moment they're in a real fight they often break their hand because they're not used to holding a fist properly.

Actually now that I think about it, they're not like that at all. They're generally unskilled pissants who would get owned in real open world PVP.

I think the tone of contempt for people like this is very easy to attribute. People in general just dont like weak cowards who only fight on their terms. Pretty standard viewpoint among the human race. We love winners, but a coward who plays bitch moves just to get a win is universally thought poorly of.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Dueling is boring and pointless.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmm, I hate dueling and turn down all requests.  Dueling implies fair fights, and I suscribe to the motto of "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong"

Sorry, I only fight for cause/consequence and when I do fight, I try my best to make sure I win, even if I have to zerg you to death in the process. 

Otherwise your request is just interupting whatever "important" task I'm currently focused on and not worth the bother.

EVE you speak of... ^^ Thats one of the two basic principles of the game ("If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you are doing something wrong"). . The second being Trust No One. ^^  I decline all duel requests as well. I have no interest in MMO PvP, and I see no benefit. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Holy crap - you guys really must not like to PvP if you have such disdain for dueling.  I mean GODDAM we got some carebears in here (just kidding lol).

Dueling is great.  Sure, those annoying assholes who spam request or gloat/cry after a match piss off everybody, but they are few and far between and everybody knows they are dicks and secretly have no friends.

Dueling is great because...

It lets you practice a pvp situation without actually having to die.  You don't have to sit around for 30 seconds waiting to be rezzed.  You don't have to worry about being instantly zerged.  You get to pvp in a controlled environment.

You should compare dueling for pvpers like athletes practicing their sports.

Dueling allows you to learn other classes' abilities.  You get to practice what happens when that Bounty Hunter pops his Energy shield or that Sniper is getting ready to burst you and you should line of sight him or her.

You get to see how close you should be to interrupt a cast or how far you should be to kite melee.  Its practice.  Sure 1v1 isn't balanced but atleast you'll learn how to react in situations and what abilities to watch for and how to counter them.

Dueling is just a tool that good pvpers use to get better.  Don't worry if you lose.  Everybody loses.  Its just part of getting better.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

CareBear you say? <Looks at Avatar> You think?... ^^  I've no interest at all in MMO PvP. I've been that way for years and years. I suspect that leveling a WoW warrior to 60 in the first year on deathwing (PvP) server, contributed to that. ^^  I quite enjoy some FPS games, but I want nothing what so ever to do with MMO PvP, dueling or not. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by TheHavok

Holy crap - you guys really must not like to PvP if you have such disdain for dueling.  I mean GODDAM we got some carebears in here (just kidding lol).

Dueling is great.  Sure, those annoying assholes who spam request or gloat/cry after a match piss off everybody, but they are few and far between and everybody knows they are dicks and secretly have no friends.

It lets you practice a pvp situation without actually having to die.  You don't have to sit around for 30 seconds waiting to be rezzed.  You don't have to worry about being instantly zerged.  You get to pvp in a controlled environment.

Dueling allows you to learn other classes' abilities.  You get to practice what happens when that Bounty Hunter pops his Energy shield or that Sniper is getting ready to burst you and you should line of sight him or her.

You get to see how close you should be to interrupt a cast or how far you should be to kite melee.  Its practice.  Sure 1v1 isn't balanced but atleast you'll learn how to react in situations and what abilities to watch for and how to counter them.

Dueling is just a tool that good pvpers use to get better.  Don't worry if you lose.  Everybody loses.  Its just part of getting better.

I can actually agree with this even though I normally dislike dueling myself.  The problem I have is that I never get a dueling request from someone that is even close to a match for me.  Instead, I get the random invite from someone that is 5+ levels over me and that I have no chance at all in taking.  This doesn't just go for SWTOR, it goes for every single MMO I have ever played.  As a matter of fact SWTOR is the first one that people within 5 levels of me have even made the challenges.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Wraithone

CareBear you say? You think?... ^^  I've no interest at all in MMO PvP. I've been that way for years and years. I suspect that leveling a WoW warrior to 60 in the first year on deathwing (PvP) server, contributed to that. ^^  I quite enjoy some FPS games, but I want nothing what so ever to do with MMO PvP, dueling or not. 

Fair enough.  I can relate.  I couldn't give two shits about achievements.  Haven't really been into PvE much either since focusing on PvP.  To each their own.

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by TheHavok

I can actually agree with this even though I normally dislike dueling myself.  The problem I have is that I never get a dueling request from someone that is even close to a match for me.  Instead, I get the random invite from someone that is 5+ levels over me and that I have no chance at all in taking.  This doesn't just go for SWTOR, it goes for every single MMO I have ever played.  As a matter of fact SWTOR is the first one that people within 5 levels of me have even made the challenges.

Endgame FTW!

But yes, I know what you mean.  The people 5 levels above you are really in it just to mess around and see how quickly they can kill you.  Usually not fun at all unless you're that baller and want to see if all that research and careful planning on that Uber OP spec will pay off :)  But agan, thats for the people that gloat and are generally dickholes.

• TNgalTNgal Member Posts: 19

Wow,hot topic!

My two cents...I just started swtor tonight.  At level ONE I had a level THREE hit me up with a duel request. I denied it, for heaven's sake I am trying to figure things out and am in the newbie zone!  No wasn't good enough, so he hit me again with another request. When I turned him down again, he started following me around, getting in my way, trying to annoy me.

I logged off and went to another server, and it happened again! say what????? lol!  So I logged again, started a third toon, double checked my settings to auto decline all invites, and was finally able to check the game out.

If I want to pvp in any way, I'll go to a pvp server or a pvp activity. The fact I'm on a PVE server SHOULD be a big clue to what my goals are!  If I am questing, I'm busy, and have no interest in pvp of any kind. Simple. I don't annoy others, why do those who are so demanding get so tied up in knots that I'm playing a game I'm paying for MY way and not theirs?

For the record, I'm really enjoying the game so far, just hit ten before server shutdown for maintenance, bummer! Now that I've figured out the auto decline, I might actually be able to check out the other characters I started, lol. 

One last thought...seems to me that in the beginning, mostly it was computer literates playing games, we used to call them nerds, lol, but they loved pvp and it wasn't a gank fest, they loved exploring the mechanics of gear and gameplay. It is not that way any more, anyone from a little kid to an old fart like me who has a computer can play. And not everyone is mature or nice or even rational...just watch some game rage youtube videos to prove that, hehe!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

only one thing I still fail to grasp is, since when dueling is pvp? dueling is for who is scared of pvp

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

How is duelling not pvp? Player-Versus-Player.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i dont duel because the request usually comes from someone i dont know, and it usually happens when im looking at my inventory or my character screen, or talking to quest giver, and it's annoying having "Donkey has requested a duel" window pop up and interupt whatever im doing.  If the person requesting the duel was polite enough to ask me i usually oblige them.

I've got the straight edge.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

WoW.... What?

Why do people very consistently write "WoW" instead of the good old "Whow" now ?

WoW stands for "World of Warcraft"

Its highly irritating.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by Adamantine

WoW.... What?

Why do people very consistently write "WoW" instead of the good old "Whow" now ?

WoW stands for "World of Warcraft"

Its highly irritating.

You don't spell wow, with an 'h', not in english anyways.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

If you don't know why this is frowned upon, and the reasons behind it  then no one here can explain it to you in any way you will understand.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by RedKatana

What bugs me is that by you dueling you don't lose anything and still people don't duel.

People lose time if they duel ...