Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people duel?

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by nomss

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

Well first let me apologize in advance as what I'm going to say will seem harshly negative and insulting. I don't really mean it to be, but I want to give you what I feel is the most honest answer from those of us who seriously dislike the dueling crowd.

Here goes:

Because we do not want to waste even a second of game time with pathetic self important, attention seeking whores. I personally find dueling to be about as productive as wanking without the ability to reach orgasm. I also feel it leads to players who can't stand the idea of not being the unlitmate badass at all times, forumlating stupid opinions that all classes must have equitable balance, which is preposterous. And in other games this deluded whining has actaully led to even more moronic nerfs to classes that did not need them. And the crowning turd in the water pipe example of this is Wow where the duel whores helped to create what I feel was the most game breaking feature ever, the Arena. The most disgusting and poinltess e-peen stroking fest I've ever seen, which I feel had a massive negative impact on both the PVE and other PVP oriented portions of that game.

Again sorry for sounding like a prick, but I hope that helps clear things up.

I have had post's removed for less m8 but even so I think you deserve one of these image

Bravo sir!  and well said :D

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I hope the OP is asking for people to duel him or even making it fun saying you bet 1k credits you will win.

Only once did I get a random duel request and it may have been on accident. I won and never got another since. To me those are far less worse than someone trying to spam /ginvite on you while spamming emotes at you. He didn't even say a word.

imo When to duel:

-Waiting on the last group member to get there

-Practicing for PvP

-Testing abilities

• sofbertsofbert Member UncommonPosts: 52

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

Well first let me apologize in advance as what I'm going to say will seem harshly negative and insulting. I don't really mean it to be, but I want to give you what I feel is the most honest answer from those of us who seriously dislike the dueling crowd.

Here goes:

Because we do not want to waste even a second of game time with pathetic self important, attention seeking whores. I personally find dueling to be about as productive as wanking without the ability to reach orgasm. I also feel it leads to players who can't stand the idea of not being the unlitmate badass at all times, forumlating stupid opinions that all classes must have equitable balance, which is preposterous. And in other games this deluded whining has actaully led to even more moronic nerfs to classes that did not need them. And the crowning turd in the water pipe example of this is Wow where the duel whores helped to create what I feel was the most game breaking feature ever, the Arena. The most disgusting and poinltess e-peen stroking fest I've ever seen, which I feel had a massive negative impact on both the PVE and other PVP oriented portions of that game.

Again sorry for sounding like a prick, but I hope that helps clear things up.

Amen.. nothing's worse than having your game messed up, abilities changed and redesigned just because of stupid pvp. And people talk about dueling like it's something important. It's basically some idiot with his dingus hanging out saying "whip yours out so we can see who has the bigger one!"  Nobody duels because it is POINTLESS. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Very well put Tardcore.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

WoW, how times have changed, I PvP just to PvP for nothing just for the fun of fighting another player online, nowdays people only PvP if they are given something same with duels.

I remembered a time when players just PvPed for the fun of PvP and dueled to try and improve themselves vs players and classes.

It's a sad, sad day as thoses day are long gone: (

I Miss You "Asherson's Call 1 Darktide" server : (  tears of sadness

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Warjin

WoW, how times have changed, I PvP just to PvP for nothing just for the fun of fighting another player online, nowdays people only PvP if they are given something same with duels.

I remembered a time when players just PvPed for the fun of PvP and dueled to try and improve themselves vs players and classes.

+1

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Phry

Hmm, I hate dueling and turn down all requests.  Dueling implies fair fights, and I suscribe to the motto of "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong"

Sorry, I only fight for cause/consequence and when I do fight, I try my best to make sure I win, even if I have to zerg you to death in the process. 

Otherwise your request is just interupting whatever "important" task I'm currently focused on and not worth the bother.

WoW.... What?

Well, in all honestly, I'm not blessed with good hand-eye coordination, so pretty much I'm guarenteed to lose any duel that I'm challeged in "unless" I have some sort of advantage that will help change the outcome.  I'm really not interested in fighting a battle where I pretty much know the outcome going in, even if it would help inflate the ego of the other player.

wow Kyl... you basically said you refuse them because you suck and the only fights you can win are cheap ganks... o.0

That being said, if you send me a blind duel without talking to me first and your just a random I don't know I can rarely be bothered to fight... If it's a guildie or friend though... always :D

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I guess I'll be the odd man out then and say that while I don't care for dueling often and hate duel spammers I certainly don't share those feelings mentioned by Tardcore. I actually read that and went, "Wow....really? I know it can be annoying but I certainly don't jump to anything remotely that severe or far in my opinion of those peeps."

Honestly found it a bit disturbing someone could read that much into it.

That and a bit stunned others share his sentiment. I mean...wow...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Vesavius

Hmm, I hate dueling and turn down all requests.  Dueling implies fair fights, and I suscribe to the motto of "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong"

Sorry, I only fight for cause/consequence and when I do fight, I try my best to make sure I win, even if I have to zerg you to death in the process. 

Otherwise your request is just interupting whatever "important" task I'm currently focused on and not worth the bother.

WoW.... What?

Well, in all honestly, I'm not blessed with good hand-eye coordination, so pretty much I'm guarenteed to lose any duel that I'm challeged in "unless" I have some sort of advantage that will help change the outcome.  I'm really not interested in fighting a battle where I pretty much know the outcome going in, even if it would help inflate the ego of the other player.

wow Kyl... you basically said you refuse them because you suck and the only fights you can win are cheap ganks... o.0

That being said, if you send me a blind duel without talking to me first and your just a random I don't know I can rarely be bothered to fight... If it's a guildie or friend though... always :D

Er yeah, actually that's exactly what I said.   Play a game like EVE and you'll understand why there's no point to fight fair, that's for suckers.  You fight to win, and if there's no way to win, you run and come back with friends.

I realize with most MMO's the combat is pointless and there's no real penalty for loss, but on the same token there's no real reward for winning, so why bother with it, especially if you know you can't win.

Now, if my guild needs me to help defend our turf, I'll turn out with the best of them, but I'll make sure to stay close to the folks I'm sure know what they are doing.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by RedKatana

What bugs me is that by you dueling you don't lose anything and still people don't duel.

They don't gain anything, either.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by RedKatana

What bugs me is that by you dueling you don't lose anything and still people don't duel.

They don't gain anything, either.

Yes you do...Practice : )  thats how I look at it at least.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by spizz

...because true pvp`er did quit already.

There is actually some truth to this provocative statement because if you like PvP then most likely you wont like SW:TORs PvP because it is probably the most underdeveloped one of any ThemePark short of those that dont actually have it like Final Fantasy and so on. I mean even Rift had more PvP content than what is in this game.

So to answer the OP. People dont duel because the vast majority playing SW:TOR doesn't play it for the PvP and hence dont care about dueling.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Mainly I decline because you were rude and just blindly sent a duel request.

I also decline blind invites to guilds.

I also decline blind invites to groups.

See the trend?

Send a duel request to everyone you see passing through town is both inane and very rude. If you want a duel ask in general. But be prepared to get peppered with Asshattery. Somewhere along the lines of the blind duel request.

( if you are the one person who actually asks first, sorry. But I bet you are not )

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by GetzMango

I rarely duel. I decline 99% of the duel requests I receive. If I want to PVP, I know where to go. If im not in the PVP area, I have more important matters to attend to. That's how I tend to view it. 

THIS. If someone sends me a random duel request, I ignore it. Chances are, that means I'm questing or I have something else I'd rather be doing. 

If I want to PvP,  I'll go to a PvP area. Don't just randomly assume I'm going to drop what I'm doing and duel.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Warjin

I whole heartledly agree, I miss thoise days as well.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that those were the days of some actual risk being involved that made any PVP thrilling. Now days its just watered down digital cowboys and indians. You know "Bang bang, lie down yer dead" for 20 seconds, then get right back into the fray, losing nothing. Which means winning also means nothing. The players haven't changed, the rules of the game have.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

HOWEVER, keep in mind that those were the days of some actual risk being involved that made any PVP thrilling. Now days its just watered down digital cowboys and indians. You know "Bang bang, lie down yer dead" for 20 seconds, then get right back into the fray, losing nothing. Which means winning also means nothing. The players haven't changed, the rules of the game have.

I disagree completely, what I think has ruined PVP overall is the attempt to cater to those who want it to mean something more than a more challenging fight. Back in the day that's what the PVPers I knew played for, incentives and punishment didn't mean a damn thing. I died and I made sure I was back in the fight as soon as possible, even if it meant just popping a pixie and a buffing stim (basically unbuffed and at a disadvantage).

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

WoW.... What?

Er yeah, actually that's exactly what I said.   Play a game like EVE and you'll understand why there's no point to fight fair, that's for suckers.  You fight to win, and if there's no way to win, you run and come back with friends.

I realize with most MMO's the combat is pointless and there's no real penalty for loss, but on the same token there's no real reward for winning, so why bother with it, especially if you know you can't win.

Now, if my guild needs me to help defend our turf, I'll turn out with the best of them, but I'll make sure to stay close to the folks I'm sure know what they are doing.  image

Exactly this, I never duel, I only fight, if I am not going to win, I run and return when I will win. But then I only play games where there is something to lose or win, either death penalty or territory or resource control. In a game where it matters, you fight to win, to the victor the spoils, you can keep your duelling, it's for those that won't even put anything virtual on the line.

WoW.... What?

Er yeah, actually that's exactly what I said.   Play a game like EVE and you'll understand why there's no point to fight fair, that's for suckers.  You fight to win.

But... the point is that people actually think they can win without cheap ganks...

Having the skill to do so makes them 'suckers'?

I think I am just out of touch with modern 'PvP' philosophy. :/

Well, you are comfortable with your suckage and appear to know your own limits, and your not talking smack in an effort to big yourself up, so kudos for all that, but... ...meh, like I say, I'm out of synch with modern PvP mentality.

If a fight is even I will enter it willingly, because while I'm not the best by a long shot, I know I'm not the worst, and I feel great when I win an even fight. I would feel like a fool avoiding it because I didn't have a zerg with me.

Each to their own though.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Exactly this, I never duel, I only fight, if I am not going to win, I run and return when I will win.

Nothing wrong with running if your outmatched, but your another that admits they suck and won't fight at all unless it's a gank or zerg? Because that what Kyl is saying...

I think I am so out of touch lol.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Exactly this, I never duel, I only fight, if I am not going to win, I run and return when I will win.

Nothing wrong with running if your outmatched, but your another that admits they suck and won't fight at all unless it's a gank or zerg? Because that what Kyl is saying...

I understand where he is coming from. He is not in to a pointless duel with nothing to gain or lose. He doesn't fight for just the fun of fighting he fights only if there is something to be gained. I can dig that. It is just a different mentality.

Originally posted by GreenHell

I understand where he is coming from. He is not in to a pointless duel with nothing to gain or lose. He doesn't fight for just the fun of fighting he fights only if there is something to be gained. I can dig that. It is just a different mentality.

What it sounded to me like is only fighting when they know they will win, which is a different motivation than fighting to gain. I hate having those folks on my side to be perfectly honest, they're worthless when things get tough.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

What it sounded to me like is only fighting when they know they will win, which is a different motivation than fighting to gain. I hate having those folks on my side to be perfectly honest, they're worthless when things get tough.

I see it as a mercenary kind of attitude. You basically do not fight for free and if you can stack the odds up in your favor thats even better. In a game like WoW or ToR that attitude doesnt fit but in a game where you can lose something it makes sense. It is a bit more realistic and the people you are fighting are going to try and do the same thing. I could be wrong but I don't see him ganking noobs in the starting area for fun. Maybe I am reading him totally wrong though. Dunno really that was just my take on what he was saying.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The first thing I do in any new MMO is to check the options to see if there's a way to:

• auto-decline duel requests

• auto-decline guild invites

If I want to PVP, I'll join an instance queue or go to the open-world PVP zone, properly equipped and in the right mindset. I'm certainly not going to duel some random stranger who's most likely kitted and supplied for PVP, whilst I'm in the middle of questing and geared for NPC's. Besides, 9 times out of 10 the person spamming duel requests is bunny-hopping around and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

I have never accepted a randomly spammed guild invite in my entire 10-year MMO history. I usually either make an effort to find out about decent guilds in a game and apply for membership, or I get an invite from someone I've grouped with, played with for a while and actually talked to ingame. 

Originally posted by GreenHell

I see it as a mercenary kind of attitude. You basically do not fight for free and if you can stack the odds up in your favor thats even better. In a game like WoW or ToR that attitude doesnt fit but in a game where you can lose something it makes sense. It is a bit more realistic and the people you are fighting are going to try and do the same thing. I could be wrong but I don't see him ganking noobs in the starting area for fun. Maybe I am reading him totally wrong though. Dunno really that was just my take on what he was saying.

I understand different game types do play to different player tendancies. I think my final point stands regardless heh, this sort doesn't serve a group, guild or corp much if at all. I can see this attitude for a pirate or some such. But in an environment where loss is real, these are the worst teammates/friends to have, as they won't risk loss, in a game where a single able body can make the difference between a loss and a win, a friend who runs is worthless.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

What does a PvP’er look for in an opponent? A PvE’er, some one un-geared, and unskilled at PvP. Duelist still looking for duels either haven’t fond the location where PvP’er hang out, or is avoiding it.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.