Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning First Impressions Preview

Comments

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

There is 1 problem I saw with this game so far.. the story, characters.. they are so incredibly boring. R.A.Salvatore must be overhyped imo... maybe it's better later on.

I haven't read anything of his in recently but in years past Salvatore was an awesome writer. The story for the game however does start out a bit RPG generic but gets a bit better later on, nothing mind blowing though.

I dont know how much of R.A.s voice is apart of the game were getting. You have to remember that this WAS a MMO deleloped by another company. Im sure his presence felt throughout the game though.

All this is to set up there MMO Copernicus and its goin to be in that game where you see Todd and R.A trully shine. But with anything in this genre anymore were all goin to have to wait and see what happens.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

38studios did an Amazing job on this release!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by elocke

The similarity to "Fable" and how bored I was with the demo  will make me hold off buying this until it's nice and floating in the cheap bin, if I even do that.  That ad on the front page with that quote from the penny arcade guy...what is he smoking saying it's better than Skyrim?  Some people are easily fooled, er, pleased, I guess.

or, you know, they liked it more than skyrim, oh wait i forgot, clearly if anyone likes something different than you they must have something wrong with them, man some people really think highly of themselves.

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

$60 is too much for PC games. I remember 6-8 years ago they were always 50. Then publishers saw console games could sell for 60 and copied that.

If you think $60 is a fair price for a game you are delusional, and probably dont understand why people pirate stuff like this

And if you think that game prices should stay the same forever YOU'R delusional, and clearly dont know much about buisness/economy/inflation.

Originally posted by idragon

Full take over on homepage: check

Paid review: check

Not even a mmo: check

I guess u really cant have enough money mmorpg.com?

clearly if someone likes a game you dont they were paid off, funny, how pretty much every person that posts crap like that acts like they were paid to slam games.

Originally posted by Phry

i think before buying this game, people should go watch the gameplay vids on youtube..  highly enlightening imo.. and another good reason not to buy (not at its current price at least!) if anything i would call this game 'retro' as the graphics etc, seem a bit 5 years ago at the very least. image

well clearly if its not the most advanced graphical game out there it must look 5 years old, oh wait, no it doesnt, it looks/runs better than the witcher which is 5 years old, and looked pretty good for its time.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• beregarberegar Member UncommonPosts: 34

Meh. Still waiting for the game to actually release here (and I purchased mine on steam). Two more days to go before it unlocks...

- Beregar

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Uninstalled it 15 mins later because of the camera. I will not play this game again before the camera is fixed. I want to be able to zoom out and I want to be able to control the camera properly. That just destroyed the game for me in 15 minutes.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by kantseeme

There is 1 problem I saw with this game so far.. the story, characters.. they are so incredibly boring. R.A.Salvatore must be overhyped imo... maybe it's better later on.

I haven't read anything of his in recently but in years past Salvatore was an awesome writer. The story for the game however does start out a bit RPG generic but gets a bit better later on, nothing mind blowing though.

I dont know how much of R.A.s voice is apart of the game were getting. You have to remember that this WAS a MMO deleloped by another company. Im sure his presence felt throughout the game though.

All this is to set up there MMO Copernicus and its goin to be in that game where you see Todd and R.A trully shine. But with anything in this genre anymore were all goin to have to wait and see what happens.

If you have hard time making interesting characters and world in single player game you will fail much harder in mmo where you can;t control everything.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

in other previews i have read, that this game is pretty linear. so more comparable to games like Dragon Age 2 than an open world like Skyrim.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Lobotomist

You can adjust camera settings and slow it down.

What I allso had to add that i miss ability to zoom closer or further.

Bugs me, too.  Very console-ish.  Can't even zoom in and out, when I feel like I really want to go into first person, because my character is blocking half my view.  

Seems like it'd be the perfect game for a setting, where you can be in 1st person when running around, and then automatically zoom out to 3rd when in combat.. but there are no settings for anything like that at all, not even a mouse zoom.  Or even a way to turn off the extremely excessive motion blur, without turning off all post-processing.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

in other previews i have read, that this game is pretty linear. so more comparable to games like Dragon Age 2 than an open world like Skyrim.

It is linear so far. Haven't played much tho, 3-4 hours in.

My only complain that the game offers close to zero challenge even in the hardest difficulty.

I just hope it gets better later on.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by shakermaker0

I had the opportunity to play this game for 2 hours at an EA event: it's great. Not like Skyrim but like everything a fable game should have

Yeah, I've no idea why it was being compared to Skyrim so heavily. There not in the same category, but nothing ever seems to be in an Elder Scroll games category.

Kingdoms of Amular is better compaired to Action RPG's like Dragon Age 2, Dark Messiah, Zelda, Diablo 3, etc.

For what it is the game is good and makes me a little more anxious for the MMO.

And yes it's worth the $60. 200-300 hours of gameplay + it's fun and it looks like it has some replayability.

Keep in mind though that my views of the game are only after playing for about 9 1/2 hours straight so far. They gave us a lot of redbull at the midnight release lol.

In any case, lot of fun so far but it isn't going to be everyones cup of tea.

If you have hard time making interesting characters and world in single player game you will fail much harder in mmo where you can;t control everything.

LOL what? that makes no sence what so ever.

• UrazielUraziel Member Posts: 172

The price, sadly, is way over the top. It's not about games not being worth 60 dollars or what we pay, 60 euro's, but rather about the fact that this particular game, simply isn't worth that amount of money.

The quests are linear, very generic and hardly contain any form of fantasy. They lack every possible sort of uniqueness.The characters are basic, no special features, no unique animations.There are invisible walls to direct you on a certain path and only that path.

The graphics, are not the same as in the screenshots. They are low quality. Compare them with low quality SWTOR if you will, Medium settings tops. It won't ever get near high settings, they simply do not have the quality textures you'd expect from a rich, living world.

The only thing that really speaks for this game, is the incredibly fluent combat. That's all there is and it's not worth €60 or $60. Everything about the game is at least 6 years old, in terms of technology. Only the combat works properly as you would expect.

How people reckon that this will be the next best thing is beyond me. Had it gone for the indie price of half of what it currently is, it would definitely have been worth it for the fun factor, but this is just insulting.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Lvl 14 sofar, the game is ok, its a very clear console port everyting is designed around it.

The world is closed and liniar, sure you can walk  east insead of west if you like but youre still stuck on the story path that will make you go east, theres simply no walking of the path  since the game has no open area's (sofar traveld about 1/3 of the map) its all pathways that lead you,no looking across the hill no freedom to go into a cave you just found, they are mostly closed and only can enter those when you are on the correct quest.

edit: its true btw what the poster above em said aboutt he grapics..its a huge disapointment and I to had to think aboutt he SW:tor thing were in scenes the textures were great but during gameplay it sucked , its exsactly the same in this game, tuning off post-processing stuff actualy makes the game look sharper/nicer but its again to clear its a cosole port designed for older hardware.

is it fun?.. yea supose it is, else i would not play it eh, but its a simple action game whit a nice story that can bore you from time to time due to its repeative playstyle. I rember a asian f2p action  mmo that gave the same feeling as this game does so I guess I grow bored of the game in a few days unless it starts to suprise me.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by shakermaker0

I had the opportunity to play this game for 2 hours at an EA event: it's great. Not like Skyrim but like everything a fable game should have

Yeah, I've no idea why it was being compared to Skyrim so heavily. There not in the same category, but nothing ever seems to be in an Elder Scroll games category.

I envy people who only need one game, and can just play it month after month.  As good as Skyrim was, the operative word is "was."  I still got bored of it, and have been looking for a new RPG for a while now.  

KoA seems good enough for now, I think.. but still not sure.  Even comparing it to Fable III, it lacks a sort of depth.  The only towns I've seen are tiny, like two shops and a house.  They make the Dweller camp look like a bustling metropolis in comparison.  Also, it feels more linear, not in terms of story, but the maze like map design.  There are different directions to go in, but so far, it's always along narrow paths.  No running around exploring wide open areas, which kills the sense of exploration for me.  In Skyrim, I spend a huge amount of time just running around, and enjoyed it.  In KoA, the running around is too linear to be much fun.

As for the story-telling.. I'm not big on story, but it feels more like Skyrim, where its there, you can opt to ignore it, but there's not much else to do, except the petty side-quests all over the place.  Whereas in Fable, the story really pulled me in - I could ignore it, but found myself following it, without even trying.  In KoA, its too much dialogue, and not enough environmental story-telling.  All too easy to ignore, but there's not enough of a gameworld to give me any reason to enjoy doing so.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

In single player game you can create more cutscenes, more elaborate quests and so much more when it comes to storyteling and building characters (from lore etc. standpoint not mechanics). In mmos you have much less freedom so it's harder. think a little. that's why I don;t agree with an argument that RASalvatore will show his greatness in mmo.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I will for sure pick it up after it goes on sale in a month or two. Seems like an OK game but not worth the full price for a console port. Especially as the screenshots are not actual in game scenes.

If my PC version looks exactly like the PS3 version then that will be a huge disappointment. For me console ports to PC are rarely worth $60.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

I, for one, am not buying the hype.  I realize my point of view is from the Demo BUT it's the very "gameplay" that everyone is going monkey boners over that I don't like.  All the quests are just a lot of blah-blah-blah and the controls, at least for mouse and keyboard, kind of suck.  That and my character really looks like he needs to poop. 

Originally posted by Uraziel

The price, sadly, is way over the top. It's not about games not being worth 60 dollars or what we pay, 60 euro's, but rather about the fact that this particular game, simply isn't worth that amount of money.

The quests are linear, very generic and hardly contain any form of fantasy. They lack every possible sort of uniqueness.The characters are basic, no special features, no unique animations.There are invisible walls to direct you on a certain path and only that path.

The graphics, are not the same as in the screenshots. They are low quality. Compare them with low quality SWTOR if you will, Medium settings tops. It won't ever get near high settings, they simply do not have the quality textures you'd expect from a rich, living world.

The only thing that really speaks for this game, is the incredibly fluent combat. That's all there is and it's not worth €60 or $60. Everything about the game is at least 6 years old, in terms of technology. Only the combat works properly as you would expect.

How people reckon that this will be the next best thing is beyond me. Had it gone for the indie price of half of what it currently is, it would definitely have been worth it for the fun factor, but this is just insulting.

So what your saying is that IF the game was say 30 bucks, all the above that you deam the game to be would be just fine? Thats all it takes is 30 bucks to change your prespective of how you would view this game? I wonder what else 30 bucks would change your prespective on.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off, you basically cannot buy this game used nor sell it, because it uses an online pass mechanism.  So spending $60 on it sucks if you don't like it, that is money out the window.

If a game, especially one that is basically single player uses a online pass, you should just boycott it.  Buying such a game just reenforces a publisher who uses such despicable methods.

So no matter how good the game it, it should be avoided at all costs!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Ozmodan

First off, you basically cannot buy this game used nor sell it, because it uses an online pass mechanism.  So spending $60 on it sucks if you don't like it, that is money out the window.

If a game, especially one that is basically single player uses a online pass, you should just boycott it.  Buying such a game just reenforces a publisher who uses such despicable methods.

So no matter how good the game it, it should be avoided at all costs!

Weak arguments, especially if you consider that they released a demo.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

So what your saying is that IF the game was say 30 bucks, all the above that you deam the game to be would be just fine? Thats all it takes is 30 bucks to change your prespective of how you would view this game? I wonder what else 30 bucks would change your prespective on.

I cant speak for him. But from what I can tell ( and agree with ) is at $30 it would be worth it for the outdated graphics, generic story, ect.  At $60 its not worth it .

And what does it matter what his perspective is on anything else? you act like he insulted you personally with his opinion. For him ( and others ) the game is not worth the money they are asking. If it is worth it to you then go buy it and play.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I kinda look at it like this:

If MW3 is worth 60 bucks, then this game sure as hell is.

In single player game you can create more cutscenes, more elaborate quests and so much more when it comes to storyteling and building characters (from lore etc. standpoint not mechanics). In mmos you have much less freedom so it's harder. think a little. that's why I don;t agree with an argument that RASalvatore will show his greatness in mmo.

Really? Most single player rpgs iv played you have a set storry you follow and thats it. sure they may be a few "scripted" side adventuers but thats it. MMOs done right lets you tell your own story with the larger game story as the back drop.

Originally posted by jdnewell

I cant speak for him. But from what I can tell ( and agree with ) is at $30 it would be worth it for the outdated graphics, generic story, ect.  At $60 its not worth it .

And what does it matter what his perspective is on anything else? you act like he insulted you personally with his opinion. For him ( and others ) the game is not worth the money they are asking. If it is worth it to you then go buy it and play.

Your right. people are alowd the have there opinions and my opinion is that his opinion is wrong. And so is your opinion of my post refering to his post about the game costing to much money. Like someone hinted at in a previous post. If MW3 is worth 60 bucks then this action RPG with 200+ hours of gameplay sure the hell is worth it.

But THAT is just MY opinion....

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Nicoo

Uninstalled it 15 mins later because of the camera. I will not play this game again before the camera is fixed. I want to be able to zoom out and I want to be able to control the camera properly. That just destroyed the game for me in 15 minutes.

You paid $60 for 15 minutes? You should have just played the demo to learn about the camera (which I agree with you by the way, it's why I'm not getting the game).