Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I played SWTOR...

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by sanosukex

it is all subjective.. but for people who come here and claim they cannot fathom why people hate this game is just baiting to me. i would only recommend SWTOR to peopel who never played a single MMO in their life before.. And it's funny because the only people I know personally who still play it's there first ever MMO. To me rift as a MMO is a better online experience. For me options are what keeps players around on months end not lack there of. And for some reason people think only sanbox=options which is such a shallow way of thinking. For me playing the same class with the same playstyle with the same exact skills month after months is insane but I suppose others like it  All in all everything is subjective to one's own thoughts and opinions and the only reason I make such a big fuss about some things here is for me as a hard core fan of both bioware and star wars I feel I was let down by a competely uninspired use of such a big IP.  

Well of course it's subjective.

As a point of note "I'm" still playing SWToR and my first mmo was lineage 2. Which I loved. However, I have a very wide set of tastes. In addition, I also take SWToR for what it is and not what it isn't. I find that for me this approach also works for many things in life.

It's ok for people to say they hate this game and it certainly is ok to just "hate this game". There are certainly many things to dislike, especially if one wants a "certain type of game".

What I find a bit suspect are the people who have to constantly shout to the heavens why they hate this or any game. I just don't understand that mentality and I also suspect that after the umpteenth time it's really about "something else". People feeling disenfranchised and unempowered in their own lives and need to rail.

However, one's mileage may vary on that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Sovrath

it is all subjective.. but for people who come here and claim they cannot fathom why people hate this game is just baiting to me. i would only recommend SWTOR to peopel who never played a single MMO in their life before.. And it's funny because the only people I know personally who still play it's there first ever MMO. To me rift as a MMO is a better online experience. For me options are what keeps players around on months end not lack there of. And for some reason people think only sanbox=options which is such a shallow way of thinking. For me playing the same class with the same playstyle with the same exact skills month after months is insane but I suppose others like it  All in all everything is subjective to one's own thoughts and opinions and the only reason I make such a big fuss about some things here is for me as a hard core fan of both bioware and star wars I feel I was let down by a competely uninspired use of such a big IP.  

Well of course it's subjective.

As a point of note "I'm" still playing SWToR and my first mmo was lineage 2. Which I loved. However, I have a very wide set of tastes. In addition, I also take SWToR for what it is and not what it isn't. I find that for me this approach also works for many things in life.

It's ok for people to say they hate this game and it certainly is ok to just "hate this game". There are certainly many things to dislike, especially if one wants a "certain type of game".

What I find a bit suspect are the people who have to constantly shout to the heavens why they hate this or any game. I just don't understand that mentality and I also suspect that after the umpteenth time it's really about "something else". People feeling disenfranchised and unempowered in their own lives and need to rail.

However, one's mileage may vary on that.

thing with MMOs is they take forever to develop and not many quality ones are actually ever made.. You get a crappy fps oh well another one will be right around the corner. For MMOs people follow the game for years wishing hoping for a quality game they can play with their friends for years to come. MMOs take more time out of peoples lives than pretty much any other type of game other than maybe those die hard fps guys.  So when you put this many hours of your life into a game how do you not expect people to react the way they do. Then you have die hard star wars fans who have waited years for a decent star wars MMO to be released. When will next star wars MMO come out? maybe never. So to many this is a last chance oppurtunity and feel they failed hardcore. I myself was the type who was watching this game get made. I saw the early combat videos and felt they looked sort of "off" but figured it was alpha stage so it would get all fixed up by release. But unfortunatley it didn't.

I hate when people say you should expect exactly what this game offers a bioware story in a themepark mmo. Sure that's what you get but does that mean is a good bioware story in a good mmo? To me It's not and don't see how the game got relased in the state it's in. Many disagree and maybe are having a blast but I wasn't and everyone i know that has a history with these games couldn't get much past month 1.5 of the game.

Whatever the reason I feel there is plenty to warrant all the strong feelings that are spouted off from the release of this game and  it's probably the last time we'll ever see a star wars mmo again which is the most dissapointing thing of all.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Terronte

I went to the movies the other day and someone half an aisle over smelled like urine. A few seats back someone had a huge bucket of popcorn, but didnt know it was possible to chew with their mouth closed.

My friend left the movie theater talking about these annoying things, while I was happy to have seen a good movie.

Focus on the bad and you'll miss the good.

Thank god for home cinema, at least the drunk that has pissed himself and is eating with there mouth open is me.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by precious328

I've been ranting on about this game ever since my extensive beta experience. In general, what one experiences in beta is what they experience on the live servers. However, I broke down and decided to give it another try (because of guildmate pressure).

So I installed the game and started playing. Again, the story was pretty entertaining at first. However, after a few days, I couldn't deal with all the useless "run here, run there, come back, run here, deliver this, come back" bullcrap. Most of my playtime seemed to be just running along these boring paths.

My guildies agreed that the questing becomes boring as heck. So they had pretty much leveled up via PvP. Okay. "I'll try that."

So we queue our group for PvP. It's a beatdown. We pillaged just about every Void Star, Huttball, and Alderaan match. However, after about the 20th time, I couldn't take it anymore. Dailes / PvP / Rinse & Repeat - ugh.

I left the group and headed over to the nearest Auction House. It was flooded with players - all wearing the same Battlemaster-whatever gear. They all looked the same. They all had the same few speeders. They all had the same little pets. They all had the same titles.

My goodness. This game is honestly the worst MMO I've ever played. It's not a clone of WoW, though. Even a linear game like WoW has MUCH MORE depth than SWTOR. This game is terrible and should not be considered a MMORPG.

Even my guildies agreed that they would be long gone had it not been mildly entertaining playing with friends.

What is your main MMO atm?

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by dinams
    You, as many of us, should have followed your instinct and not the curiosity

I guess that's true for a lot of people here ;).

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by Dekarx12

these threads... these threads... look i'm not a fan of swtor either but please people get over the hate threads.. its getting very tiring... logging into this site and just seeing i hate tor threads... just move on already... seriously

If only....But yeah, people have got to move on.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by pmaura

Quests were not boring at all, I think your just an ADD kid who likes FPS instant gratifcation and your now bored.

The entire population does not even have close to all the Battle Master gear as you have said either. And I am a server that has  close to 500 people on during peak hours in fleet

Pictures or it didn't happen. Show me a pic of current fashion of your  Fleet with 500 players. Hell I'll give you one show me 450, 400..

Bioware is that you?

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Unfortunately I got sucked into playing this game also. After months of telling myself and others I wasn't interested in it. I saw how it had the story elements and compared to how The Secret World was doing I knew TSW would be a better choice.

TSW isn't out, so that left me with some filler time. Why not give SWTOR a try, mistake on my part there. Although the game does have some great cutscenes and questing seems less like a grind at MOST points. I can't help but get the feeling of being closed in. Never in an MMO that I've played have I had this feeling of "clostraphobia".

The world is heavy instanced and "Green" and "Red" door are abound. Going to planets doesnt give me any sense of travel. The game is FAR from seamless. You can run into several loading screens just making your way from the Fleet to your ship. Many instances on the way there don't even hold players and jumping into two or three of these places at a time is really, really dull.

PvP doesn't need to be hammered any more than it is being done currently but I am truly astonished at what they put out there. They have made a few good improvements to the forumla like "Huttball" which is great and having different arena types in the future will probably keep that gameplay fun. Outside of that the other two are "meh" and nothing too new. The Doors can be fun.

Illum however is complete and utter garbage at this point. Population imbalances on a majority of servers provide empty and emotionless pvp situations where it's said low-pop (Republic in most cases) are herded to their base where they are in following fashion farmed until OPS group meet their dailies/weeklies.

Illum IMHO also shows even more blandness and that errie lifelessness that I can't seem to escape. THE GAME WORLD LITERALY FEELS LIKE ITS MADE OUT OF TOILET PAPER. Like you can just punch that mountain with a flick of your finger and open up a gaping whole where everyone is sucked into a endless loop bug of  /stuckies.

And the BUGS oh my the bugs. They are there, are they game breaking? Not all of them. Can they garnish much rage? Oh most definately. From warzones not counting to some of the ability issues.

Putting out a patch note saying you fixed something. Then after your player-base points out that it's not, you say that the note wasn't supposed to be in there and that there was miscimmunication amongst the devs. I mean seriously, this is a major bug that effects 100% of the playerbase.

It's the things like these are what is bringing me to cancel my subsscription. I haven't yet, but it will DEFINATELY happen. I gave them till March to fix their issues or to ofc at least show some genuine improvements. TSW is ony a few months away (Hopefully), so either way it doesn't really effect me. I don't want them to fail, but I can't sit back and watch them shoot themselves in the foot over and over again, then afterwards asking if I want to give it a try.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Speaking of TSW have you seen the new gameplay video just released OMG!

Game looks awesome and the class custimization with over 500 skills to choose looks insanely cool.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by Sorrow

Speaking of TSW have you seen the new gameplay video just released OMG!

Game looks awesome and the class custimization with over 500 skills to choose looks insanely cool.

"looks" yes, you said it - "looks cool".

Lets see.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I actually find SWTOR to be an ok diversion to kill some time.  It got a few small things right (duoing is actually useful, companions are fun and obviously the story is solid)  I did not go into this thinking it would be Archeage or anything overly promising. 

This game, however, is like a themepark on steriods.  Ultra linear, walled in worlds with no freedom in any sense of the word.  You better like combat because that's all there is to do.  It's almost like it's own genre of game, that could be fun for a few months if you play casually.  Most MMO's I play for over a year as there is that much to do in them, I don't see this being the case for this game (the leveling speed is hilariously fast and there's a real lack of things to do at the "endgame").

It seems like they brought in people to design this game whom then brought in a bunch of console kids for advice.  Don't make leveling too long, don't give me any freedom and guide me by the hand everywhere.  Put walls in all the worlds so I know where to go.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I've been ranting on about this game ever since my extensive beta experience. In general, what one experiences in beta is what they experience on the live servers. However, I broke down and decided to give it another try (because of guildmate pressure).

So I installed the game and started playing. Again, the story was pretty entertaining at first. However, after a few days, I couldn't deal with all the useless "run here, run there, come back, run here, deliver this, come back" bullcrap. Most of my playtime seemed to be just running along these boring paths.

My guildies agreed that the questing becomes boring as heck. So they had pretty much leveled up via PvP. Okay. "I'll try that."

So we queue our group for PvP. It's a beatdown. We pillaged just about every Void Star, Huttball, and Alderaan match. However, after about the 20th time, I couldn't take it anymore. Dailes / PvP / Rinse & Repeat - ugh.

I left the group and headed over to the nearest Auction House. It was flooded with players - all wearing the same Battlemaster-whatever gear. They all looked the same. They all had the same few speeders. They all had the same little pets. They all had the same titles.

My goodness. This game is honestly the worst MMO I've ever played. It's not a clone of WoW, though. Even a linear game like WoW has MUCH MORE depth than SWTOR. This game is terrible and should not be considered a MMORPG.

Even my guildies agreed that they would be long gone had it not been mildly entertaining playing with friends.

And why it should be F2P imho. SUre they can add all they want, eventually everyone will look the same agian though.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by echolynfan

Pretty much sums it up for me.

People are saying to give BW time but I have a problem with the overall design and concept of the game: just another daily hamster grind of memorized dance steps with pointless PVP for gear. Crafting concept is interesting but has no depth and end product has no value because raid/drop stuff is better.

I'm back at EQII because of the excellent housing system and all of the other side things you can do besides raid/pvp. I want more choices in an MMO and I refuse to give in to these companies force feeding us homogenized crap.

I miss SWG - best game ever even after it was NGE'd.

once the supporter and now moved on.. seems to be happening a lot around here....

Yep..I was WAY wrong with my initial opinion of SWTOR. Perhaps it just just my love of Star Wars that gave me blinders :)

Once you hit 50 (which doesn't take long...even for casual players) you realize that BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game. Raiding and dungeons should be "part" of an MMO - not THE game. PVP..well....I won't even go there and I'm still laughing at Starfox.

Did you go back to reading your own posts from a bit over a month ago as penance? Somebody who dared write something like "BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game." back then surely would have gotten the royal treatment from you, especially if he was looking forward to GW2.

At least you didn't just drop off radar and came back to admit your mistake. Good thing to have you back with all your senses still intact.

imageimage
  • sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

People are saying to give BW time but I have a problem with the overall design and concept of the game: just another daily hamster grind of memorized dance steps with pointless PVP for gear. Crafting concept is interesting but has no depth and end product has no value because raid/drop stuff is better.

I'm back at EQII because of the excellent housing system and all of the other side things you can do besides raid/pvp. I want more choices in an MMO and I refuse to give in to these companies force feeding us homogenized crap.

once the supporter and now moved on.. seems to be happening a lot around here....

Yep..I was WAY wrong with my initial opinion of SWTOR. Perhaps it just just my love of Star Wars that gave me blinders :)

Once you hit 50 (which doesn't take long...even for casual players) you realize that BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game. Raiding and dungeons should be "part" of an MMO - not THE game. PVP..well....I won't even go there and I'm still laughing at Starfox.

Did you go back to reading your own posts from a bit over a month ago as penance? Somebody who dared write something like "BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game." back then surely would have gotten the royal treatment from you, especially if he was looking forward to GW2.

At least you didn't just drop off radar and came back to admit your mistake. Good thing to have you back with all your senses still intact.

noticed many of the very loyal supporters dropped off the radar here recently... not sure why

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

LOL..yep..I have to apologize to everyone regarding my previous opinion of SWTOR. I should have given it a little more time before I formed a final opinion. Oh well...I learn from my mistakes...most of the time :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Illum IMHO also shows even more blandness and that errie lifelessness that I can't seem to escape. THE GAME WORLD LITERALY FEELS LIKE ITS MADE OUT OF TOILET PAPER. Like you can just punch that mountain with a flick of your finger and open up a gaping whole where everyone is sucked into a endless loop bug of  /stuckies.

Actually...this happened to me and I haven't found my way back to Ilum or SWTOR since.

I did however hear the flush of a toilet - that being the subs - and everyone leaving can grab a sheet of Ilum to wipe with on the way out :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

noticed many of the very loyal supporters dropped off the radar here recently... not sure why

Probably because it's a colossal waste of time. Post one line saying the game isn't that bad and get attacked by the same people who seem to have nothing else to do in life but post 24/7 about how bad the game is. This whole site needs to be renamed mmorpghaters.com seems that's all that's left. Bunch of people whining about X game not being the game they wanted. Sad to see this site turned into a bash mmos site but that's what it is

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by AdamTM

I went to the movies the other day and someone half an aisle over smelled like urine. A few seats back someone had a huge bucket of popcorn, but didnt know it was possible to chew with their mouth closed.

My friend left the movie theater talking about these annoying things, while I was happy to have seen a good movie.

What a load of shit.

You must be that friend he was talking about.

I still enjoy the game for what it is. I jump around from Empire to Republic alternating classes and specialties. I choose Marauder on Empire side and Guardian on Republic side for example to avoid playing essentially the same specialty. I enjoy the PvP even though admittedly have yet to do Ilum. Highest level is 43 on main character and just taking my time. Don't play every day so that helps. Like most games I'll likely stop at some point but don't see it happening any time soon.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

See, Themepark MMO's have lots of rides, to offer variety.

Where as the SWTOR Themepark had maybe 3 rides, two were pretty mediocre but the third was spectacular...

The problem is, once you've ridden the same spectacular ride over and over, it gets boring as well... and when you want to ride something different youre left with two choices which are both more boring than riding something youve ridden a number of time before.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• dwalker2009dwalker2009 Member Posts: 3

I wasnt honestly keen, just no spark in it for me. Bland and the constant niggles with bugs spoiled it.

Some of the story lines were superb, really enjoyed the sniper class line, the BH one was good but not as good as agents, other than that pretty disapointed with the game.

Didnt think much of the PVP either, just didnt feel right and again some of the bugs made it worse.

• PintaphillyPintaphilly Member Posts: 1

Im enjoying the game so..... yeah..... a lot of the problems you guys list, i haven't experienced at all. And most of them are shared with other MMOs. You guys expect WAAAAY TOO MUCH from MMOs, get a sense of god damn reality for once. SWTOR is a great game (I played both WoW and Rift, raided hardcore in both). IF you did your research, your expectations wouldn't be as exaggerated as it was. DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH! I knew what to expect from the game, and enjoy it greatly. 

Not to mention, these type of threads pop up FOR EVERY SINGLE MMO when they get released. Can you see the pattern? Nothing new here, just the same old whining from idiots who expect too much from MMOs.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Pintaphilly

Im enjoying the game so..... yeah..... a lot of the problems you guys list, i haven't experienced at all. And most of them are shared with other MMOs. You guys expect WAAAAY TOO MUCH from MMOs, get a sense of god damn reality for once. SWTOR is a great game (I played both WoW and Rift, raided hardcore in both). IF you did your research, your expectations wouldn't be as exaggerated as it was. DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH! I knew what to expect from the game, and enjoy it greatly. 

Not to mention, these type of threads pop up FOR EVERY SINGLE MMO when they get released. Can you see the pattern? Nothing new here, just the same old whining from idiots who expect too much from MMOs.

That's the main problem lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Having seen your posts for quite some time (You tend to "share" your opinion on every official MMORPG staff SWTOR post), you were the last person I expected to even install the game, nevermind actually PLAY it.

Congrats on giving them your money, as highly opposed to the themepark concept you are. Bioware - 1, Precious328 - 0.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by AdamTM

What a load of shit.

You must be that friend he was talking about.

I still enjoy the game for what it is. I jump around from Empire to Republic alternating classes and specialties. I choose Marauder on Empire side and Guardian on Republic side for example to avoid playing essentially the same specialty. I enjoy the PvP even though admittedly have yet to do Ilum. Highest level is 43 on main character and just taking my time. Don't play every day so that helps. Like most games I'll likely stop at some point but don't see it happening any time soon.

Next time i will deliver faulty work to my boss I'll tell him that too.

"You see man, you focus too much on the bad, you are missing the good. For what it is, a design scribbled on the back the pizza box, its really good, you need to chill out and enjoy my work more."

Actually, you opened my eyes.

I will stop giving a shit, about everything, ever.

• GrenoybelGrenoybel Member UncommonPosts: 33
    An average game is still average whatever the Company says, people think or numbers are.
    Average game is average.

SWTOR is an average time sink.

My prediction is that it will do well, but will still be average.

Just my opinion, no hating.