Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Investors' Conference Call Reveals Data

12346»

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Originally posted by Vyeth

Originally posted by Geckomayhem

(try 4 hours a week, if I'm lucky; 4 hours a day on average is extremely extravagant for a single pastime),

People would pay 15 bucks a month for 4 hours a week?

People pay $12.50 for 90 minutes of entertainment at the movies.

Also, lots of gamers often pay $60 for 8-10 hours of entertainment on single player games.

16 hours a month of entertainment for $15 is pretty good value.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by Rusque

(try 4 hours a week, if I'm lucky; 4 hours a day on average is extremely extravagant for a single pastime),

People pay $12.50 for 90 minutes of entertainment at the movies.

Also, lots of gamers often pay $60 for 8-10 hours of entertainment on single player games.

16 hours a month of entertainment for $15 is pretty good value.

I understand that, but for all the complaints about having to spend too much money on F2P's and them not being free, you'd figure someone who would prefer to spend 15 bucks for an all you can eat buffet would like to eat more than 1 plate..  I mean he's free to do whatever he chooses but I'll have to archive this for when the F2P arguments about "renting the content per month vs. a flat fee for unlimited access" occur..

Obviously you know that I am on the "Flat fee" side, as if I was in his position, I'd rather pay for what I use than rent the whole thing every month..

But your point has been duly noted.

• KahPaoKahPao Member UncommonPosts: 18

Yes .     You think your way of playing games, your budget , your opinions are the norm.   You need to think again.

I can only play about 6-8hours a week.  That would be for any game at this point in my life.  I use to play WoW and raided 15 hours a week,  plus another 10 probably organizing things for the guild I was in,  and farming mats etc...    Life changes and thank goodness, so do my interests.     

I'm enjoying ToR and there are no other MMO's I care to go back to at this time. 

• AntiheroDAntiheroD Member UncommonPosts: 43

to all the people justifying SWToR. Ill respond to Grandpa Jacks thread as it is fairly organized.

When WoW was released I (this is my experience. I do know many had LOTS of issues with WoW launch.) had very little issues compared to ToR. Sure wow had stability issues for about the first 4 months. The issue didn't last till 2006.In ToR I could not talk to people because my chat was not working. Not guild party or regular chat. The only chat that worked was zone wide general chat. But even that was spotty. And this lasted for over 3 weeks. My character would get stuck in poses IE sitting or laying on the ground. even while fighting, and there is more.... Oh and the Aussies still don't have there game and they are saying March.

So, Stability wise SW negative 1 WoW 0

WoW wins. this one they didn't have much to go by but still did pretty damn good. SW:ToR was warned about the mistakes by countless people, saw other games and now they did and what to not do to help keep from failing and they did it anyways.

There is a story in WoW, you just need to read it. you characters dont progress anymore in ToR then they do in WoW. Sorry but the whole good side dark side points do actually do anything yet. Not even your reputation with your pet, er companion has now real effect. And your choices so far have consisted of a little extra gold in my mail box. oh wow that's the consequences.. gee wiz that's great...... because killing womp rats for there parts is any different then in wows for rats. So that whole you have to kill x number of x creatures is still in ToR.

Story SW:ToR 1 WoW 1 Tie. only reason SW:ToR even gets a point is because it Star Wars and i count the whole story not these craptastic things they call stories lines for the players.

Graphics. really? they both are pretty damn good and this is one of those if SW:ToR had not rushed you would not see SO many issues with it.. As for the 5 yr old laptop still playing wow.. sure if you don't use a notebook laptop other wise yes you can play with on a 5 yr old laptop.. I bought a laptop in 2004 before deploying it played wow fine.. i did have to shut everything to minimum. but it worked lag free. So no you don't know what your talking about.

SW:ToR 1 WoW 1. tie. they both had/have there issues. but they could have been ironed out if not for the rushed launch.

PvP pretty simple here for me. WoW was good for a while then they broke it..

SW:ToR, is on the right ball but still needs work.

SW:ToR 1 WoW -1. WoW loses points for going back wards in pvp area.

End game at launch. WoW had 2 raids. 4 dungeons. They were decent. But at least tehy were  do able. SW:ToR fails in this area only because they rushed the game before it was ready. people who have done the content have had major issues with it. to many to list here.

SW:ToR -1 WoW 1

Empty servers or not, they have 11 million sub base that they are making money on. doesn't matter what country its coming from they are not sweating. plus they have 4 games coming out this year alone. As for SW:ToR its not a failure, yet. but 1.7 million subs that are as of dec 31 2011. doesn't mean they still have that. read the fine print on both those EA reports. So according to http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/ the active players(subs are unknown from this) they are drop in numbers.

Over all SW:ToR 1 WoW 2.. i dont play wow anymore its boring to me. played 7 years. but still doesnt mean they are not doing a better job at this.

As for your issues that should fix. some are issues they should already have been addressed in beta. customizable ships, day/night cycle/weather effects. Space combat, pvp tweaks and bugs and issues.

as for these,

Swimming really? um no. its never done right. they cant even do space i highly doubt they would get a "water world" correct.

ridable animals.. eh sure why not.

GW2.. sure i think its might be a great game. but little lesson for you.. ToR didn't kill WoW.. the only killer of a game is the game it self. GW2 isn't going to kill anyone.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

"Ready to launch a major mass market television campaign and cross promotion with "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D" which comes out in February."

Nooo! Don't associate with that...the end is near :P

• TesteagleozTesteagleoz Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by AntiheroD

to all the people justifying SWToR. Ill respond to Grandpa Jacks thread as it is fairly organized.

When WoW was released I (this is my experience. I do know many had LOTS of issues with WoW launch.) had very little issues compared to ToR. Sure wow had stability issues for about the first 4 months. The issue didn't last till 2006.In ToR I could not talk to people because my chat was not working. Not guild party or regular chat. The only chat that worked was zone wide general chat. But even that was spotty. And this lasted for over 3 weeks. My character would get stuck in poses IE sitting or laying on the ground. even while fighting, and there is more.... Oh and the Aussies still don't have there game and they are saying March.

So, Stability wise SW negative 1 WoW 0

WoW wins. this one they didn't have much to go by but still did pretty damn good. SW:ToR was warned about the mistakes by countless people, saw other games and now they did and what to not do to help keep from failing and they did it anyways.

There is a story in WoW, you just need to read it. you characters dont progress anymore in ToR then they do in WoW. Sorry but the whole good side dark side points do actually do anything yet. Not even your reputation with your pet, er companion has now real effect. And your choices so far have consisted of a little extra gold in my mail box. oh wow that's the consequences.. gee wiz that's great...... because killing womp rats for there parts is any different then in wows for rats. So that whole you have to kill x number of x creatures is still in ToR.

Story SW:ToR 1 WoW 1 Tie. only reason SW:ToR even gets a point is because it Star Wars and i count the whole story not these craptastic things they call stories lines for the players.

Graphics. really? they both are pretty damn good and this is one of those if SW:ToR had not rushed you would not see SO many issues with it.. As for the 5 yr old laptop still playing wow.. sure if you don't use a notebook laptop other wise yes you can play with on a 5 yr old laptop.. I bought a laptop in 2004 before deploying it played wow fine.. i did have to shut everything to minimum. but it worked lag free. So no you don't know what your talking about.

SW:ToR 1 WoW 1. tie. they both had/have there issues. but they could have been ironed out if not for the rushed launch.

PvP pretty simple here for me. WoW was good for a while then they broke it..

SW:ToR, is on the right ball but still needs work.

SW:ToR 1 WoW -1. WoW loses points for going back wards in pvp area.

End game at launch. WoW had 2 raids. 4 dungeons. They were decent. But at least tehy were  do able. SW:ToR fails in this area only because they rushed the game before it was ready. people who have done the content have had major issues with it. to many to list here.

SW:ToR -1 WoW 1

Empty servers or not, they have 11 million sub base that they are making money on. doesn't matter what country its coming from they are not sweating. plus they have 4 games coming out this year alone. As for SW:ToR its not a failure, yet. but 1.7 million subs that are as of dec 31 2011. doesn't mean they still have that. read the fine print on both those EA reports. So according to http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/ the active players(subs are unknown from this) they are drop in numbers.

Over all SW:ToR 1 WoW 2.. i dont play wow anymore its boring to me. played 7 years. but still doesnt mean they are not doing a better job at this.

As for your issues that should fix. some are issues they should already have been addressed in beta. customizable ships, day/night cycle/weather effects. Space combat, pvp tweaks and bugs and issues.

as for these,

Swimming really? um no. its never done right. they cant even do space i highly doubt they would get a "water world" correct.

ridable animals.. eh sure why not.

GW2.. sure i think its might be a great game. but little lesson for you.. ToR didn't kill WoW.. the only killer of a game is the game it self. GW2 isn't going to kill anyone.

Honestly, you're trying to rate these games against each other and in your first paragraph you mention WoW had stability issue for about the first 4 months, then go onto give it -1 to swtor, which has bee officially in retail for about a month and a half. Let's not mention the lagforge days, where it was near impossible to get around Ironforge.

Not sure how you can tie WoW and Swtor for story, the quests in Swtor have a chance of engaging you with backstory usually provided and voiced quests, Wow has... well.. once you get through the first few quests, you go to quest npc, click accept and go do quest, when's the last time you read a quest? let alone had a quest engage you?

Graphics is what it is, WoW's aren't great but neither are Swtor's, BW aimed for cartoony, keeping specs relatively low and keeping inline with the comics/pictures and also ties in fairly well with clone wars. I'd say Swtor has the upper hand here tho and probably a better base to improve on.

PvP I tend to agree, I like really like where PvP is at in Swtor and don't enjoy PvP in Wow as much as the early days.

Server pops; Wow has had dead servers at times, take some of the oceanic server that launched and then were dead, you still have low pop servers all over the place and I dare say 25% or more are just bots farming. Swtor's servers are still travelling well, my server The Harbinger has a Que on Sunday's and is heavy at any peak time for Aus/Nz players.

• XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25

ill take that bet and quadruple it, i bet swtor will remain subs for at least 2 years after release though hopefully far longer f2p games suck for real players who aren't poor arse kids or rich weirdos

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

Into on line gaming since MUDs (over 20 years now).  Played/actually sub'd to many of the biggie MMOs and participated in the alpha/closed beta of dozens more, including SW:TOR.

I found SW:TOR to be my most playable MMO (though there is merit for labeling this as a Co-op RPG) since LotRO ,,, sure, it had (and from what I am told by friends who play it now) SW:TOR still has issues ... but the game is highly playable and BioWare is diligent and remains consistently determined to improve the game with patches and new content (in it's own slow, deliberate, overly cautious manner -- this is their first "MMO").

Let's compare -- I was there for the WoW beta (my son was a GM for Blizzard at  the time) ... I was there for the DAoC Beta and the Beat for Mythic's ToA disaster ... I was there from the start for the pre-release testing of LotRO ... Mythic's ubiquitous, highly anticipated and disappointing Warhammer Online ... and let's not forget the absolutely disasterous Betas and tremendously disappointing "Too Early for Prime Time" releases of The Age of Conan and Vanguard ...

Compared to all of the above, LotRO's release was the only MMO with fewer issues at release than SW:TOR.

All that said, I stopped playing SW:TOR when Closed Beta ended at release.   I have no doubt about the SW:TOR's success and bright future but  lets just say that, when Beta ended, I found myself at odds with the BioWare/EA/LucasArts "pablum for the masses" approach.  Since my son (and his guild of 40+) is playing SW:TOR, I'll keep getting game info from him and other friends who play as well as checking on the progress of game polishing BoWare is doing.

Who knows, depending on how it turns out, I may pull the trigger and pick this game up eventually.

• ClaymixClaymix Member Posts: 16

They made this game to get the most subscribers possible (obviously) and thus quality suffers. The graphics system, for example, is incredibly outdated so that people with low-end machines can run this game. (Of course, that only explains the graphics. I have no explanation for the awful UI, the LFG system, the lack of customization, etc.)

These numbers are impressive, but obviously not 100% fact, as others have pointed out. While I don't think it is as far off as some doomsayers are predicting on here, I don't think it is as impressive as they wanted it to be.

And when parts of the game are hindered for the sake of reaching more people, and you don't reach that many more people, that's not exactly a resounding success.

Regardless, the game is brand new, so numbers like these are pretty useless. We'll see what BioWare can manage in the coming months. Way too soon to preach doom or victory.

Teamwork: using the morons on your team as bait.