Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers 2/1/12 [EA Conf Call Discussion Thread]

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

This is the problem with the game launching 11 days before the end of their reporting quarter, it was never going to be very clear on the report itself because everyone was still in their first month.  Which means that it has to be cleared up with clear as mud statements on reporting day.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

1.7 subs at the end of Dec. Who cares? People need to do more research.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Warjin

Practice what you preach and show me 1.7 million active subscibers.

EA just has, I'm sorry but the numbers don't lie, they can not lie on a report like this if they do that means jail time, sure reviews can lie but not on a market share report.

did you just miss this posted right above?

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Right. About 1.5 mil played the game at early access...and about 500k more have bought the game since then. Simple statistics could now extrapolate a near 80% retention for the remaining 500k that joined since launch.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by Lexin

Originally posted by monoth

All I got from this is they sold 2 million copies... And there was 1.7 million people who used their free 30 days. I highly doubt there is 1.7 million paying subs at this very moment. Don't forget you need to setup a sub in order to use the 30 free days.

So 300k people didn't use their free month?!?  WTF are you talking about?    It's pretty obvious that 2 million bought the game and after the free 30 days was up 1.7 million subscribed for another month.  Learn to read

You can't subscribe for another month if the 30 free days are not even up how about you learn to read. I have seen posts about people holding on to their copies and not being able to use because they don't have a credit card. Again YOU MUST SETUP A SUB IN ORDER TO PLAY YOU'RE 30 FREE DAYS!!!!!!!!

Show me the proof that 300k people didn't subscribed to the game and just stuck it on their shelf to collect dust...  Not to mention you don't need a credit card, you can buy a game card...

EA just has, I'm sorry but the numbers don't lie, they can not lie on a report like this if they do that means jail time, sure reviews can lie but not on a market share report.

Considering that was as of 12/31/12 no it does not. Please try again.

From Dec 20th till Jan 20 was the free month, 2 million+ had a sub set up, after Jan 20th 1.7 million resubed, so from Jan 20th till now there are a average of 1.7 million subs, meaning people with a open payment plan with Swtor.

So you please try again, it's not hard to understand if you just put you hate down for one second and see logic.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

This was just posted on page 30 of this thread,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=260271&page=30

"BioWare has delivered a game that millions will play for a long time"

My paraphrasing of what was said about SWTOR's launch on the conference call:

• Sold-through 2 million units since December.

• 1.7 million active subs. Rest have not started yet or have opted out.

• Metrics suggest players are loving game.

• Unique logins 1 million per day, average playtime 4 hours per day.

• Server performance allowed introduction of players faster than expected in pre-order.

• Server stability has been excellent.

• Lack of congestion was not sign of slow participtaion. Shortly after launch, server efficiency was doubled, allowing servers to handle far more players and lifting the limits previously experienced.

• Next phase- new content, frequent releases and aggressively courting new subs.

• Another major update in March, larger than most recent one.

• Adopting rates are trending favorably.

• Ambitious plan to reach broader market with new marketing buys, will be seeing that soon.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by MartinZ

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

"now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in."

There you have it.

The actual current subscribers who have actually paid and not just entered their credit card information must be absolutely awful if they won't state the number in public.

Any one mind doing another thread :D

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MartinZMartinZ Member Posts: 59

nm

• KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Best entertainment at work ever!!!

Keep at it :)

This ^^   

Yes, please everyone continue!     LMAO

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by RizelStar

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

"now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in."

There you have it.

The actual current subscribers who have actually paid and not just entered their credit card information must be absolutely awful if they won't state the number in public.

probably should since people seem to be ignoring this link...

Originally posted by Korgborg

This ^^   

why do you think I stick around here? this stuff is more fun than actually playin the game.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Anolev

Originally posted by fony

this is Q4 2011 AKA the initial rush. this is not how many people are subscribed right now.

Seriously, it's only a click away... READ people...

-- Star Wars(R): The Old Republic(TM) has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.

... the number they're quoting is current... a little over a month from the launch date is basically yesterday...

Generated does not mean retained.  I could "generate" 5 million subscribers over 3 years, but only have 200 active subscribers currently.

The report is worded very ambiguously.  First they say it's for Q4 2011 (Dec. 31st), then they mention the "a little over one month" figure.  I'm not really sure what they mean, but knowing how companies report to investors, they are probably wording the report so that it shows them in the most favorable light.

--Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers

But doesn't it also say that the report is for Q4 2011?  I just don't understand the time frames for all these numbers.  No where do they say "as of 2/1/2012, SWTOR has more than 1.7 million active subscribers."

Once again, not trying to hate...I just know how companies operate.  They will try to portray themselves in a favorable light, so I don't believe anything on a financial report that can't be absolutely "nailed down."  I do believe that at some point they had 1.7 million active subs though...I don't think they would outright lie.

I know exactly what you're saying, but this isn't some PR press release. It's their financial report.  They can't outright lie on it.  

The statement that it "has" more than 1.7 million subscribers implies that it is current.  

The financial statement is for Q3 FY 2011, but that doesn't mean they can't report on the current state of the game.  

Look at all of their statements in order:

--Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers

"Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing."

-- Star Wars(R): The Old Republic(TM) has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month.d

I think it's pretty clear they are talking about right now.  The "in a little over a month part" on the last one could be referring to just the sales I guess based on the wording, but in every single one of those statements they say "Active subscribers."

They are using words like "has" and "active."  To me that says right now currently subbed.  

This report is for the end of the fiscal year of 2011 but you are saying that the numbers qouted is for the current month. If that is true then what is the numbers for the time for which the report is for?

Something does not feel right here... why make a report for end of 2011 but give the numbers for after 2011, makes no sense to me.

So I would say that the numbers are for end of decembre. 2 million boxes sold and out of those 1.7 million activated their subscriptions by end of 2011. What the situation is now is not and should not be in the report because it is for end of 2011 and not beginning of 2012.

There you have it.

I know it's crazy right at first people ignored generated,had, and/or active now people are ignoring the red. Crazy indeed.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

lol its funny how they dont show the sales since DEC- JAN 2012. You find it has dropped a lot. If you are playing it like some of us this news of lol how many players/xfire and such.. were not seeing any servers full anymore and never gets past 150 people in a zone and pick ANY SERVER go ANYWHERE.. but pick the HEAVY ones and unless your on a space station.. its very very empty.

Like I said you go in game and your like ..where are all these people?

Anoyone shocked they didn't announce TOR was going F2P?

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by moreblahblah

Those number were accurate as of 31 December. What it is telling you is that over 300,000 people canceled their ACTIVE subscription  between the 20th of December and the 31 st December. So in effect SWTOR lost 300,000+ subs over an 11 day period.

Some of you seem to have problems with the difference between having a subscription and having an active supscription. Having a subscription means you can log in and play but does not actually mean you have a credit card on file with authorization for billing. Having an ACTIVE subscription means  you have a credit card on file and have authorized future billing.

Say what?

In the entire history of accounts you have to pay to use (not just MMO's).

Active = you can log in

Inactive = you cannot log in.

Active subscription = you are actively paying a subscription fee.

Being a Pending subscriber or potential subscriber has absolutely nothing to do with being an active subscriber.    The only number that should have been protrayed as "active subscribers" was the number of people who had paid in one form or another.. for a subscription at the time of the call.   Not those who might pay but could cancel before they can be billed.

I don't like the game but I accepted the numbers and in my first post .. said good for EA.   I didn't expect that number was made up of any group of people who hadn't actually paid a subscription fee... that's just a tad odd in my opinion.

*edit* I just wanted to Add.   Outside of gamecards which you cannot get a refund on.   The earliest any "paid subscriber" could have been billed was Jan 19th.. but the 1 month I decided to pay for wasn't billed until after the 20th.   It was pending a few days and I believe went through on the 22nd.

I would now like to know when these numbers were generated... as well as what number had actually paid anything when it was generated.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

All I got from this is they sold 2 million copies... And there was 1.7 million people who used their free 30 days. I highly doubt there is 1.7 million paying subs at this very moment. Don't forget you need to setup a sub in order to use the 30 free days.

So 300k people didn't use their free month?!?  WTF are you talking about?    It's pretty obvious that 2 million bought the game and after the free 30 days was up 1.7 million subscribed for another month.  Learn to read

You can't subscribe for another month if the 30 free days are not even up how about you learn to read. I have seen posts about people holding on to their copies and not being able to use because they don't have a credit card. Again YOU MUST SETUP A SUB IN ORDER TO PLAY YOU'RE 30 FREE DAYS!!!!!!!!

Show me the proof that 300k people didn't subscribed to the game and just stuck it on their shelf to collect dust...  Not to mention you don't need a credit card, you can buy a game card...

Considering that was as of 12/31/12 no it does not. Please try again.

From Dec 20th till Jan 20 was the free month, 2 million+ had a sub set up, after Jan 20th 1.7 million resubed, so from Jan 20th till now there are a average of 1.7 million subs, meaning people with a open payment plan with Swtor.

So you please try again, it's not hard to understand if you just put you hate down for one second and see logic.

Click the link and you will see it is up till 12/31/11... Nothing from 1/1/12 till now is on there. No hate here just facts. 

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Korgborg

This ^^   

why do you think I stick around here? this stuff is more fun than actually playin the game.

Forum Wars FTW!

Good thing it's not full loot though. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

In his very first sentence:

said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello. "Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing."

That is not market-speak/spin-doctoring last quarter numbers.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by omome

I'd be shocked if they did!

In his very first sentence:

said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello. "Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing."

That is not market-speak/spin-doctoring last quarter numbers.

...no wayyyy O.O

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by tinuelle

I'd be shocked if they did!

What Tinuelle said.

I'm more shocked that anyone would even consider this going F2P within the next two years.

• moreblahblahmoreblahblah Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Antarious

Those number were accurate as of 31 December. What it is telling you is that over 300,000 people canceled their ACTIVE subscription  between the 20th of December and the 31 st December. So in effect SWTOR lost 300,000+ subs over an 11 day period.

Some of you seem to have problems with the difference between having a subscription and having an active supscription. Having a subscription means you can log in and play but does not actually mean you have a credit card on file with authorization for billing. Having an ACTIVE subscription means  you have a credit card on file and have authorized future billing.

Say what?

Active = you can log in

Being a Pending subscriber or potential subscriber has absolutely nothing to do with being an active subscriber.    The only number that should have been protrayed as "active subscribers" was the number of people who had paid in one form or another.. for a subscription at the time of the call.   Not those who might pay but could cancel before they can be billed.

I don't like the game but I accepted the numbers and in my first post .. said good for EA.   I didn't expect that number was made up of any group of people who hadn't actually paid a subscription fee... that's just a tad odd in my opinion.

You are twisting things.

I have a subscription = I can log on

I have an ACTIVE supscription = I can log on and it is active for renewal purposes.

In a quarterly report ending 31 December they do not include any information for January (the following quarter) and to think so is just plain wrong.

• RamsaltRamsalt Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by ZizouX

This was just posted on page 30 of this thread,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=260271&page=30

"BioWare has delivered a game that millions will play for a long time"

My paraphrasing of what was said about SWTOR's launch on the conference call:

• Sold-through 2 million units since December.

• 1.7 million active subs. Rest have not started yet or have opted out.

• Metrics suggest players are loving game.

• Unique logins 1 million per day, average playtime 4 hours per day.

• Server performance allowed introduction of players faster than expected in pre-order.

• Server stability has been excellent.

• Lack of congestion was not sign of slow participtaion. Shortly after launch, server efficiency was doubled, allowing servers to handle far more players and lifting the limits previously experienced.

• Next phase- new content, frequent releases and aggressively courting new subs.

• Another major update in March, larger than most recent one.

• Adopting rates are trending favorably.

• Ambitious plan to reach broader market with new marketing buys, will be seeing that soon.

I can also predict: that MY new MMO will be played by millions for a long time!

See how this works?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by Antarious

Say what?

Active = you can log in

Why do you think EA made it so you need to give your payment details even if you wanted to only use your free 30 days?

1. People might forget to unsubscribe even if dissatisfied.

2. If you don't have a CC(which is not uncommon in EU or among minors in US), you need to buy a GTC along the game just to be able to play.

3. It pretties up statistics like these, because if you gave EA your CC details and allow them to place charges to it they can legitimately claim your an active subscriber. Its the act of giving them permission to bill you that makes you a active subscriber, not the actual transfer of funds that may occur at a later date.

There you have it.

I know it's crazy right at first people ignored generated,had, and/or active now people are ignoring the red. Crazy indeed.

and it's still going maybe someone should make a thread with this link heh

This discussion has been closed.