Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: F2P Coming in March

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the EverQuest team have announced that the game will be going free to play beginning in early March, just in time for its 13th anniversary.

Also at the free-to-play launch, all players will receive a Welcome Pack containing items to add to your gameplay experience. You'll be able to summon a unique Mercenary to fight by your side and we're including some Bayle Marks to help pay for the services of your newly summoned Mercenary. A couple of Experience Potions are also included to help you increase your experience gained while adventuring. For all the collectors that like to show off all the great wares to your friends, we're giving you an item to display in your home and add to your collection. And finally, you'll be able to customize the appearance of one of your weapons with a Weapon Ornamentation - also included in the Welcome Pack. So be sure to check the claim window for your free gifts.

Read the full announcement letter by Thom Terrazas on the EverQuest site.

UPDATE: As part of the F2P push, Sony has also announced the closure of the Mac version of Everquest.

Thanks to Xexv for the link and heads up!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Now if Sony would take VG to the F2P format i would be a happy panda.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

well i expect all soe products to adopt the free to play model since smedley has clearly said he believes this to be the future of mmo.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'll pass. Their idea of "free" is a joke.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

I was waiting for this to happen foreverah! woooooooo!

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

No access to the progression server.  That sucks, its the main reason for old players to come back.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

lol, wonder if they will "grandfather" former subscriber charrs to be playable like they ended up doing for eq2. Also wonder if the aa slider will be stuck at 50% for bronze/silver.

Anyone know what a prestige item would be?

Originally posted by niceguy3978

No access to the progression server.  That sucks, its the main reason for old players to come back.

Yeah i dont understand that move.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Didn't really like how they handled F2P in EQ2, but I'll keep my eyes on this one. Who knows, perhaps even SOE can learn from their mistakes.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

It's too bad that EverQuest looks like the predecessor to King's Quest 1.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Before seeing the restrictions, I think this is a good move. There is already an item so why not make it f2p. I know I will be back. The massive amount of content cant be beat. Also it will be nice playing PvE focused game that wont screw the PvE content in the name of PvP. Hopefully VG will follow.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by Mardukk

Before seeing the restrictions, I think this is a good move. There is already an item so why not make it f2p. I know I will be back. The massive amount of content cant be beat. Also it will be nice playing PvE focused game that wont screw the PvE content in the name of PvP. Hopefully VG will follow.

At first glance it appears a carbon copy of eq2s which i despise. I dont think it will have the same negative impact however depending on what a "prestige" item is. For one spells tiers dont start in eq1 until what level 80? Secondly quests arent the main source of leveling so limiting these doesnt carry much weight either. 1000 aa for silver not sure the impact since i have like 500 max on my old chars. Ill give it a try and hope it doesnt turn out as gimped as eq2.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

You have to be kidding me... The original EQ F2P before VG F2P? That is absurd.. I mean, I understand the anger and animosity involved in the whole SoE vs Sigil thing, but come on.. Money is money and VG would bring in players and flow (if they did the CS right) to SoE anyway..

Anywho, I will more than likely get on this and return to a different age of mmo (if its even the same anymore).. Hopefully they create a new progression server that starts the timeline over with no expansions and works its way through them over time..

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

can someone answer me a question plz..i have station access and this game is on the list..do i have to purchase the game to play it atm..i mean the early stuff not veil of alaris..or can i d/load the client now and play(i,m a tight bastard).

• NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

Greeeaaaat news!!! I couldn't bring myself to pay for a sub, but I'm definitely going to play now. 

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Zekiah

I'll pass. Their idea of "free" is a joke.

Yes I found their EQ2 F2P model to be pretty restrictive.  I would guess this pretty much answers the question about the Everquest Next payment model.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Vyeth

You have to be kidding me... The original EQ F2P before VG F2P? That is absurd.. I mean, I understand the anger and animosity involved in the whole SoE vs Sigil thing, but come on.. Money is money and VG would bring in players and flow (if they did the CS right) to SoE anyway..

It's entirely possible that EQ had the reources to make the switch sooner. Going Free to Play is more than just adding an item mall to the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by precious328

http://massively.joystiq.com/screenshots/everquest-veil-of-alaris-0/4594184/#/4

Looks close, man.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well Smeadley continue with what he announced some months ago. SOE change from p2p to freemium model totally.

Imo in max 2 years all SOE titles will be freemium. I bet EQNext will be as well.

Well good to know, I know now I won't be playing any SOE mmorpg again.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by fenistil

Well Smeadley continue with what he announced some months ago. SOE change from p2p to freemium model totally.

Imo in max 2 years all SOE titles will be freemium. I bet EQNext will be as well.

Oh totally, they already announced that Planetside 2 will be F2P, so EQ Next will almost certainly follow the same pattern.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Sounds like a good idea but far too late. The graphics are way outdated which will deter new players. As well, Sony's version of f2p is terrible. Their basic model is, players can login and make a character but if they want to chat or quest or make money or make a cool race, then you need to pay 15$ a month.

Anywho, I will more than likely get on this and return to a different age of mmo (if its even the same anymore).. Hopefully they create a new progression server that starts the timeline over with no expansions and works its way through them over time..

So they increased the team size and there seems to be a new Producer.  Hopefully this means Vanguard might go the F2P route soonish.

Originally posted by Brodter

Sounds like a good idea but far too late. The graphics are way outdated which will deter new players. As well, Sony's version of f2p is terrible. Their basic model is, players can login and make a character but if they want to chat or quest or make money or make a cool race, then you need to pay 15$ a month.

Not really, if you want a specific race or class you can buy them on the SC Market, my problem is that they rip off people...$7.50 for a class.

Another issue that annoys me is that they don't allow free players to wear Fabled/Legendary items, at least let folks that prefer micro transactions to pay for access to Fabled/Legendary without having to subscribe.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I guess it was just a matter of time.

I wonder if they plan to do the same for Vanguard as well? I have a feeling that are choosing between that and closing it down, I hope they keep it around. Even with all it´s flaws it is still a good game.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by precious328

http://massively.joystiq.com/screenshots/everquest-veil-of-alaris-0/4594184/#/4

Looks close, man.

Looks like darkfall. Oh well tolerable graphics for games nowadays, I'll definately give this a shot when it goes F2P

Originally posted by ABRaquel

So they increased the team size and there seems to be a new Producer.  Hopefully this means Vanguard might go the F2P route soonish.

the sec VG goes f2p im there with bells on. Will have to knock the dust off of Byron and get back to work =)