Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: January Development Letter Arrives

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 17,039MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

The latest edition of the Age of Conan: Unchained Development Update has arrived on the official site. The letter begins with a look back at the momentous year AoC had in 2011, particularly with regard to going "Unchained" or F2P/hybrid back in the summer. From there, the post springboards into 2012.

The "roadmap to 2012" will begin with new tier four raids with much of the balance of the first half of 2012 focusing on a "systems driven focus". In particular, the team is hard at work on the trade skill system and hoping to deploy it by summer. The overhauled system is, according to the letter, "trying to capture the feeling of the more complex systems that you saw in the first generation of MMOs rather than the 'point and click' nature of modern crafting options."

In addition to crafting changes, the team is also putting classes under the microscope and will be working to make some significant changes to classes and abilities. The team will also be laying the artistic groundwork for the next adventure pack.

Check out the full development update letter on the Age of Conan: Unchained site.

Associate Editor:
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

• TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

It's interesting to see an established mmo going back and reworking such a fundamental feature like crafting.

I'm not playing now but I did play when it was just p2p.  I had a good time with the game.  It's very beautiful and the combat is engauging and graphic in it's depiction of violence.  I would love to see this game gain popularity and reach the potential it was denied at launch due to technical difficulties.

• barezzbarezz Granite City, ILPosts: 140Member Uncommon

One thing that I hope is that the end product result in crafting is worth the effort.  You can make a system complex like first gen MMOs by adding countless subcomponents and resourses needed to make each item.  Heck as it stands now making a single piece of culture armor is pretty complex in bterms of resource and component needs.  What I would like to see is a crafter having some kind of control over the final product in some way.  Maybe that means stats, amybe it means color, hopefully it means both. 

If you look at the original SWG as an example, a armorsmith crafter could make a piece of armor that would have different protections depending on what they experimented on.  And they could choose the color.  But if I have to gather tons of different resources and spend a lot of time going through the crafting process I don't want to end up with a piece or armor that is the exact same as another crafters set.  the problems in today's MMO is that the end result of crafting is generic.  Each crafter makes the same sword, the same armor, the same everything.

Make a complex system, but make sure that the possibilities of what can be crafted is equally complex.  If it is just complexity for the sake of making the same generic item, we kind of have that already.

• kevjardskevjards carlislePosts: 1,463Member

i was going to let my sub lapse..this is the only game i have never done crafting..mmo that is.

this has me fascinated that even after this time they are making a big effort with this game..i just hope when the next ex pk comes they dont make it a damn grindfest like ROTG was..a lot of people left the game because of that..i love this game to bit and for all funcom's screw up with this it has turned into a fantastic game.with TSW just around the corner i,m not sure wether or not to sub..god damn you funcom..hope they do something like sony where you can sub to both for a cheap price..then i,m in.doubt it though.

• IstafeinIstafein New York, NYPosts: 70Member Uncommon

I just started playing this game a week ago and just love it.  I haven't had this much fun with an online in a long time. So it's nice to see that they have all these plans for it!

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

-Still no crafting thats any good

-still guild vs guild conflict screwed up.