Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Good Cop, Bad Cop – SWTOR

12345679»

Comments

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by DaddyDark

The best type of the MMO voiceover I have evr seen was in DCUO - you can listen to it while continuing to play (your mentor just gives you the mission on the comm.) or you can ignore it while continuing to play - your choice. Still it is much easier than reading through the quest description and is not anniying at all... and you don't have to pick up one of the 3 pointless alternatives... -)))

LOL, yea, and both the villains and heroes are so full of themselves!

Its a well made game, if you just take it for what it is.

• wraith808wraith808 Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Deewe

Incentives for socialization = SWG

Extended body customization: SWG, AoC

3 factions: DAOC

All at launch.

And, once again, never said any MMO implemented all of them but: none lacked all of them but TOR.

Common features means... well, common features.  Not implemented in one or two MMOs.  Sort of fails the definition of common, no?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by wraith808

All at launch.

And, once again, never said any MMO implemented all of them but: none lacked all of them but TOR.

Common features means... well, common features.  Not implemented in one or two MMOs.  Sort of fails the definition of common, no?

b) Lack of innovation

This game is, to my knowledge, the first to launch without any, more or less common, features of the below list:

• marcelimarceli Member Posts: 20

Let's face the facts - it was supposed to be a great-innovative-hyper-uber game. I wish it really was, but sorry, it isn't.

I like Star Wars but feel dissapointed. My expectations were too high I guess...

palmiarnia.info

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by wraith808

All at launch.

You are correct ofc, not  a list of common features (although some are)  but a list of possible activities that they could have added to the game and expanded apon/applied innovation to bring it up  to 2012.  Instead they said 'what are the most popular activites in WOW' and replicated them with a few twists..and then blew a hideous amount of money on VO which is technically undemanding and risk free to develop (more profit, cha..ching)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

I've played alot of mmo games over the years and these newer ones over afew years the new feeling of the game tends to die down after the second month or sooner for some people and after playing a game like say rift this game is kind of a step back for what you can do with classes and all. then one of the bigger problems is the community being a total pain to find people to group with for heroics/flashpoints unless your on a big enough server or in a huge guild. this game has some flaws and some good points but i think i'll stop while i'm ahead i'm looking forward to guild wars 2 more so then the i was for this game lol.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• athynzathynz Member UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by khartman2005

None of the loveable Star Wars characters/features/humour is in this title. 

I just had to highlist that part of your post because evidentally you have no clue what you're talking about. This is Star Wars: The OLD Republic. It is set a couple thousand years before the most noteable characters even existed.

SW:TOR is a great game and I disagree with everything Suzie said.

Actually it's not set "a couple of thousand" but 3-4 thousands years before.  This however doesn't change the fact that there are "None of the loveable Star Wars characters/features/humour is in this title. "   

The comment refers to the fact that BioWare chose to set the game in a time when none of the star wars characters could be present.  Furthermore, BioWare chose not to use any of the iconic Star Wars races despite the fact that they ARE actually present.  You cannot play a Wookie, Trandoshan, Jawa, Gamorrean, Hutt, Rodian, Ewok or even (the much hated) Gungan.  I believe that for the person quoted, the persons and races of star wars are such an integral part of the star wars experience that their lack makes for a disappointing game in itself.

To further complicate matters, instead of giving the game a unique setting, BioWare has instead taken a little known setting and has tried to COPY the setting of the films.  The republic and empire - right down to the logos - in TOR have been made to match the rebellion and empire of the stars wars films virtually identically.  Even the spaceships look similar with imperial ships looking like star destroyers and tie-fighters and republic vessels looking like X-Wings and Y-Wings.  Additionally, BioWare has basically cloned the personalities of the characters from the Star Wars films, right down to the outfits they wear.  

It seems like total waste to be playing a clone of Han Solo or a clone of Luke Skywalker that is trying to do the same things to save a clone of the Rebellion from the clone of the Empire led by the clone of the Empreror.

Instead of wasting all the effort creating clones, they could have just given us the option of playing Han Solo in the current timeline.   At least we know and like Han Solo rather than playing a random character who looks and acts exactly like Han Solo while we think "boy, this character is trying really hard to be Han Solo!".

Anyhow.. at least that's how i interpreted the part you quoted. 

I'm guessing you never played SWKOTOR 1 or 2? THAT is in part what SWTOR is based off of. I will say you are right on with the symbols of the Republic and Empire being the same but I believe that's a LucasFilm requirement rather than a Bioware requirement. 

Having played the game - and taking my time with it - since the next to last open beta I've really enjoyed the game in part because it IS Star Wars and in pert because it seems to have less of the grind that other MMORPGs like EQ, EQ2, COH/COV, etc. have. 

• JynxxJynxx Member Posts: 21

Meh, I level capped, played all classes on both sides of the fence, and cancelled my subscription.  Lack of open world exploration was a sore point for me.  All this technology, speeders, space fleets, yet I can't explore the world because it's on "rails". 

My other sore point was no looking for group/operation tool.  Why on earth do developers feel it's perfectly fine to put PvP group finders in their games but then leave out group finders for PvE content?  Absolutely stupid move.  I do NOT want to hang out on fleet spamming to do XX Flashpoint. 

Fix JUST those two things and I'd probably come back.  Well...maybe.  For some weird reason after you level up one toon to full level and do the PvP thing, stomaching doing it again on a different character when ONLY the Class Specific quests are different, is painful.

• zx2blueszx2blues Member UncommonPosts: 3

I, no kidding, resubbed EQ1 after playing this game from Beta through the last 2 months lol and not because I miss "fishing" but because I miss playing with other people

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

swtor -> game created by bots for suits *$$$* - no passion, no soul

wow -> game created by gamers for gamers - with passion, vision and soul

p/s: I hate wow lol

just my 2 cents