Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

26% are currently not subscribed

Out of 46k voters 26% of voters are currently not subscribed to an mmo.

Burnt out on themepark or other?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

That, and there is lot of free mmos to play anyway.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

That and 46k is a fairly low medium. Hell, I'm not subscribed atm to anything, but I didn't vote in that poll. Additionally, most of my 50+ member clan isn't subscribed to anything. a good quarter of them WERE subbed to SWTOR prior to the free month going poof. Now, we're all looking towards Sauropod Studios to release an alpha sometime in the next month so we have something to do until Planetside 2 :)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

There are tons of decent quality F2P MMos for people to play, I'd be willing to bet at least half of that 26% is still playing an MMO just, literally, not subbed to one. I'm one of those people.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Out of 46k voters 26% of voters are currently not subscribed to an mmo.

Burnt out on themepark or other?

Yup.

Burn out on themeparks and I think that will be extremly long burn out on themeparks.  I already have like almost 8 months a break from ANY mmo and I tried Swtor beta for few days and I had to force myself to play after like 1 hour.

Not playing any free2play cause I really learned by experience I loathe cash sops (ex-Lotro player here - played f2p Lotro as well for many months amongst other freemium / f2p games).

So yeah while I am still very interested in mmropg's and I lirk o few mmorpg sites I don't see ANYTHING for me atm on the market.

Just patiently waiting for ArcheAge.

Maybe just maybe I will try GW2 out of curiosity.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

That and 46k is a fairly low medium. Hell, I'm not subscribed atm to anything, but I didn't vote in that poll. Additionally, most of my 50+ member clan isn't subscribed to anything. a good quarter of them WERE subbed to SWTOR prior to the free month going poof. Now, we're all looking towards Sauropod Studios to release an alpha sometime in the next month so we have something to do until Planetside 2 :)!

Doesn't matter if it's 46k or 46 mill voters it's still 26% of overall voters. What concerns me is the simple fact of so many subscription based AAA titles out there to choose from yet 26% voters here on mmorpg.com forums are not playing any of them.

Are people waiting?

Waiting for what?

Another Themepark?

A good Sandbox?

Or simply sick of mmorp's?

If there sick of mmo's then why would they be on the forums?

What it all looks like to me is there's going to be a huge change in direction of developers (it's already started) in the next few years and what direction do you see them heading?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I'm personally not subbed to anything as I'm bored with how MMOs work. Not sure if I'm burned out on the genre, or the genre has just become to repetitive.

As Guild Wars 2 won't have a sub, I'll probably remain amongst the unclean.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

With the current MMO market just jump from Beta to Beta until a real one comes out.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Doesn't matter if it's 46k or 46 mill voters it's still 26% of overall voters. What concerns me is the simple fact of so many subscription based AAA titles out there to choose from yet 26% voters here on mmorpg.com forums are not playing any of them.

Are people waiting?

Waiting for what?

Another Themepark?

A good Sandbox?

What it all looks like to me is there's going to be a huge change in direction of developers (it's already started) in the next few years and what direction do you see them heading?

Why is "playing a F2P MMO" not a plausible option to you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Where do you vote? I'm playing a F2P MMORPG for 2-3 years.  Unfortunately I have more fun playing F2P MMORPG than all the one with subscription. 

Maybe they should have an option for playing F2P and B2P currently on the vote if they don't have one.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Last two MMOs I played were Rifts' beta and SWTOR's beta.  Both were just solo gear grinds, with highly optional group content and no living world.  I am waiting for a game that is more then that while not being just a pvp fest like MO or Darkfall.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Are people waiting?

Waiting for what?

Another Themepark?

A good Sandbox?

What current developers don't see is that the WoW method works for the AAA developers, but not the indie or smaller companies. They need to think outside the box to beat them, don't bother trying to beat the big guys at their own game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

"Burnt out on themepark"? Where'd you get that? More like "there's nothing worth playing at the moment". No themepark, no sandbox, anything. Everything is either old, sucks or is old and sucks. Also, the old don't seem so grand as they once used to. Actually, they all pretty much suck when you revisit them. So I guess everything sucks.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

^ This describes my current situation, with the exception of replacing Planetside 2 with Guild Wars 2.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

I'm very burnt out on Theme Park.

The AAA MMOs of today are no different than buying CoD MW1, MW2, MW3...      It's all the same steak with different seasoning.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Not sure what poll you're getting these numbers from, but I've spent most of the last couple of years with no active subscriptions - yet I've been playing MMOs almost every day of that time. There's more than enough good F2P out there to make that possible.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by precious328

I'm very burnt out on Theme Park.

The AAA MMOs of today are no different than buying CoD MW1, MW2, MW3...      It's all the same steak with different seasoning.

Still. Thats some good steak you must admit.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

If the number is an accurate reflection, it's pretty good IMO.  There many demographics for different things that don't have nearly that high a percentage.  You are never gonna have close to 100%

I self identify as a monkey.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I think the subscription model is dated, I personally will not subscribe to an MMO anymore. What I hate is I pay money and I'm constantly punished for it because I have 30 days to play but I have no idea what I might be doing that month. I could turn out to be busy each weekend and have no time to play and I feel like I've wasted so much money. 

The TF2 way is best (I know it isn't an MMO) but I support the games continuous development by buying items which support the developer and reward me. This is a much more fun way because you get something and don't feel punished by downtimes of the servers or being busy. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'm still looking for this poll/article... Is it on this site?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Yes the poll is on this site, go to polls sub forum and you should find it. The poll asks how many subs do you currently have?

Out of 46k voters 26% are not currently subbed to any game. That is a huge percentage of gamers either tired of themepark or playing f2p games.

With so many subscription based options out there and 26% voters electing not to play any of them is huge!

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Haven't played an MMO in over 3 years. Too many excellent single player games out right now that MMOs simply can't measure up. I am the hero in an RPG, not just another would-be-hero running around looking for the next "Uber-LootZ".

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I feel subscription based business models are dying out in these austere times, whether people want to sub or not they are being cautious or simply don't have enough cash to spare. I can relate.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There isn't much choice
    There's wow
    A Bunch of games exactly like wow
    Eve
    And a bunch of old games with hardly anyone playing
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I'm not subscribed to any mmo, but I play them mostly. It's not that there's no good p2p games, it's just that I find it stupid to pay monthly for a game that you already bought. B2P or F2P is my thing.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

There are just too many games too play to ever be able to dedicate myself to a subscription.

With the PSO2 Alpha shaping up to be pretty decent, I as a fanboy of Phantasy Star might find myself subscribing. Though I'm still pissed at SEGAC.