Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMORPGs ever made

Comments

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I don't think there's any game that was mentioned that is worse than Aerrevan. It's completely unplayably bad.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Thrage

Vanguard.  Most pathetic attempt at an MMO I've ever seen.  Less than 20 minutes and I was done.  I've had more fun with no-name korean grinders.

How can you even say that :/

Even if you didn't like the bugs at launch, the dungeons were great, the music was great, the diplomacy was a new aspect, the open world was the best we had ever seen from any MMO, the graphics were amazing and still are.

How can you call it the worst..that's horrible of you, lol, there are hundreds worse MMO than Vanguard.

This game was epic at the time on so many levels.

You can't call this, the worst...

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Originally posted by Thrage

Vanguard.  Most pathetic attempt at an MMO I've ever seen.  Less than 20 minutes and I was done.  I've had more fun with no-name korean grinders.

How can you even say that :/

Even if you didn't like the bugs at launch, the dungeons were great, the music was great, the diplomacy was a new aspect, the open world was the best we had ever seen from any MMO, the graphics were amazing and still are.

How can you call it the worst..that's horrible of you, lol, there are hundreds worse MMO than Vanguard.

This game was epic at the time on so many levels.

You can't call this, the worst...

I am definitely going to need to disagree with you on the highlighted point.  Vanguard had the most god-awful music of any game (Not just MMO) that I have ever played in my life.  The sound of that game in general was bad, bad, bad.  Worse than overhearing two hipsters talk about their movie script over terrible jazz in Panera Bread.  In fact, I'm 90% sure the sound is what made me hate Vanguard more than anything else.  Bland environments, game-breaking bugs and completely  uninspired gameplay/story helped, but the sound was far and away the worst aspect of an awful game.

On the other hand, I played other games far, far longer than they deserved, often because of their soundtracks.  Final Fantasy XI and Ragnarok Online immediately come to mind.  What they lacked in gameplay, they made up for in soundtrack.  I could probably play the world's most awful video game all day long with the right music playing.

Either way, no, the music in Vanguard was absolutely, totally awful.  The other things could maybe be debated, but that one, definitely not.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73

I don't think people should be listing games like SWTOR and FF14.  SWTOR is still in its infancy.  Its basically still in beta stages.  As for FF14, its not even out yet.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

My all-time worst list is....

1) EvE

2) Matrix Online

3) STO

4) Darkfall

5) Rift

6) DCUO

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Roma Victor

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

A friend introduced me to Furcadia while playing another game. 

I can't explain in words the awkwardness I felt walking around that world.  That game is not in my comfort zone and actually made me feel awkward while playing a game online.  This was back in 2001-2002ish mind you so who knows what id feel now.

So yeah, Furcadia takes the cake for me...regardless of its debated mmo-ness.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by dannydeuce

I can't explain in words the awkwardness I felt walking around that world.  That game is not in my comfort zone and actually made me feel awkward while playing a game online.  This was back in 2001-2002ish mind you so who knows what id feel now.

This friend. Was it a chick?

Was it a chick you had a crush on?

It happened to all of us.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Ebony

I am not an MMORPG. (my real name is Eboni, btw and I saw this and thought it was funny)

Anyway some of the games I see on here are not bad, iit just seems that the poster just didn't like them - which the OP asked us not to do.

Anyway, the only game I can think of is Fury. It was terrible!

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73

Sounds like you don't like MMOs in general.  None of these are bad games or even any where near the "worst" MMOs.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Don't pretend like you didn't enjoy hanging out in the FurN. ;D

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

Originally posted by Brodter

I don't think people should be listing games like SWTOR and FF14.  SWTOR is still in its infancy.  Its basically still in beta stages.  As for FF14, its not even out yet.

First of all, FF14 has been out for almost a year now, and it is a horrible game, I tried to get into it 3 times, and just the crappy controls and interface made me want to quit after 30 seconds.

Secondly, SWTOR is out, new game or not, it's still released, and the question is which game we thing is the worst we played as of today, not what we think it will be. I purchased the CE of the game, dished out $150 on it, and it is the first and only game ever that I did not renew after the first month. I've even given chances to games like Vanguard, WAR and AoC, which imo are good games, but at release bugs were so disgusting that everyone quit on them. But SWTOR's in my worst game list not because of bugs, it is there because of gameplay, after around 4-5 hours of gameplay, it was taking me a lot of effort to just log into the game, played it until lvl 40, and I was just feeling that I was wasting my time.

This is a personal opinion, but these 2 games with FFXI and Ultima Online are by far the worst games I played when it comes to gameplay and fun factor.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

I almost think this should be seperated into:

Worst MMORPG

and

Most Disappointing MMORPG

Some of the games mentioned had some great values but they also contained some huge let downs. Then there are other games that were destined to be failures right from conception.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Castillle

[Mod Edit]

Srs :

Final Fantasy 11

Really? I hope you're kidding cause FFXI online is the only MMORPG I know the rest are single player online role playing games where people like the online part only to show off not to work together using their minds and skills like in ffxi.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

Horizons, had one of the best crafting - consignment/ah system to date. Just couldnt do any thing eles cause the game was so broke. Oh and you could be a dragon.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Metin 2 - just about everything in this game sucks. Graphics makes you vomit, most of the time you do nothing but grinding, which is especially bad since combat is horrible. World feels like random generated and quests are beyond bad. Lowerest tier among all korean grinders.

i used to play metin2 a lot with my brother. the game stops giving you quests at lvl 61 (lvl cap was 99) so you had to grind your ass, tahts true. Bad graphics too. But everything else is great. The combat is the best combat i have ever seen in any mmorp because its a free combat you hit any mob that cross your way which is awesome (and you can build long combos), you dont have to tab target or click a mob to select it. The guild battles are awesome too, the mounted combat is the best ive seen as well because you fight fast and the horse do skills too. The skill progression with all the books suck balls but the skills effects are cool and as you upgrade them the visual effects change too. The open world pvp is pure carnage between the 3 factions.

What really kills the game is the grind based progression and the horrible cash shop that you need to buy to become a beast in pvp.

Now my personal list of worst games:

1- Faxion online (shut down right after going open beta) it was plain terrible.

2- Alganon (the worst WoW clone ever).

3- Regnum / forgot the new name after relaunch (no matter how much i try it, it fails to let me play... its horrible... graphics, mechanics, everything).

4- supremacy 1914.....(is that even a game)....

there are some more but i dont have em in mind...

EDIT: about the grind in metin2, the grind gets you sick after a while, but it is the most enjoyable grind you will ever experience if you compare the grind with other games because you can  pull even 40 mobs at the same time and rape em all with combos and skills. Other than that yeah the grind is bad in any game.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

Roma Victor.

Horizons.

Really don't think I need to explain myself for either.

• jamielikesyojamielikesyo Member Posts: 36

Worst game I've had the privledge of  paying at least a month of subscription time to: 

WW II Online easily.

Worst MMO I've beta'd: 

Mortal Online

Worst MMO I've played period:

9 Dragons. Fun until you hit your first heartbreaking, gamebreaking bug. Then the next, and so on.  Failed originally with Acclaim, then failed with GamersFirst, finally ending up with Gamescampus to be left to rot.

• Draxdk0Draxdk0 Member Posts: 29

Not including games that started as free to play

Best: Anarchy Online, PSO, Asheron's Call, DDO, LoTRO, SWTOR,  DC Universe, City of Heroes, Neverwinter Nights, Everquest

Worst: World of Warcraft, and some other mmorpg I got out of a bargain bin years ago that I can't even remember the name of....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'd have to say the worst one was fallen earth. Somehow the wires got  crossed and they claimed they were f2p on various websites including their own for a while and they really were only a 10 day trial. This combined with the horrible animations and the DDO style combat where you'd swing continuously in the same ways in melee combat it just wasn't for me. I liked the whole open world aspect but i think that's more of the sandbox lover in me talking. 

The second worst was forsaken world. That game just did not do much for me visually. Ugh.

World of Warcraft Vanilla was great because it was new and the method for rpging was the themepark that's how it was done in those days. When you went into a dungeon you felt like you were really in danger. It was great until BC then it went downhill ever since Ghostcrawler took over.

I have yet to see the best. I guess Rift is a very close to best right now. We'll see what World of Darkness, The Secret World, and Guild Wars 2 have to offer. I'm banking on GW2 at the moment because of their fantastic gameplay ideas.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

eudemons, runes of magic and metin 2 comes in mind.

let's not count the browser-based real time strategies, cus they're all bad. some less, some more.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

World of Warcraft, due to what its done to the industry recently... Its much thanks you WoW that we have this extreme inflow of themeparks with same elements over and over again. It got to easy.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Dark and Light tops my list of worst ever. My guild tried the beta as an attempt to find a new game after the SWG revamps.

My second would have to be Vanguard. When I tried the beta my graphics card would barely run it, even when it exceeded the recommended requirements. A few years later I gave it a try under the SOE Station Pass and I was so bored with it I couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes.

World of Warcraft. I agree that it's success has doomed the MMO genre. I tried to get into it several times and it was just more blatantly repetetive than any other MMO I've played. It's the game that taught me that just because something sells the most is not the best game, just like the Call of Duty series.

Honorable mention goes to Age of Conan. I was interested in it at first but my computer didn't run it to my liking, and after others quit I followed their lead. Once I gave it another try I decided I'd rather bash my own head in with a meat tenderizer than go through the Tortage quest area again.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Kuro1n

World of Warcraft, due to what its done to the industry recently... Its much thanks you WoW that we have this extreme inflow of themeparks with same elements over and over again. It got to easy.

Don't be silly.image

For a honest, realistic, non-troll answer I submit either Tabula Rasa (played about 15 minutes, literaly cracked the disk and took it back to On-Cue and friend/worker gave me a full refund) or FF14 (obvious reasons are obvious).

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

I R dissapoint.

This thread is nothing but personal preferences, in a way like someone preferes spagetti over pizza.

I wish someone would create a similar thread but with thoughts put in. Something where we could judge mmos under different groups.

I mean you can NOT compare... lets say, Dark and Light, a skeleton of a game that got abandoned durring early stages of development but still released just to rob people and earn some money. A true vaporware game can not be compared to a game like AoC or Mortal Online. Games like these two (f.ex) were maybe hurendously underdeveloped (for some standards) at release, however developers kept working and are made their products into very playable and VERY enjoyable product (ofc if the type of game floats your boat - ie if you don't like pizza, you won't give it credit but that doesn't mean it's bad).