Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me, or did Bioware live up to everything they said they would?

Comments

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Khors
    Bioware did a great job at Trolling the Ad Revenue reviewer and less intellectually disciplined into spending 15$/month for a single-player rpg. Kudos to them.  Though aren't there laws against taking advantage of the mentally handicapped?

No.

After I got duped by Final Fantasy XIV, that piece of shit game, I looked in to it. Even got tested to see if I had an extra chromosome bouncing around.

Turns out I didn't do my research and pretty much screwed up.

SWTOR's new gallery of imbeciles will just have to join me in waiting for a good MMO to crop up some time or another.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I know the game was majorly hyped up. And manynpeople seem disappointed, But really,, was this hype by Bioware or the Fans? Maybe EA?

to me it seems like Bioware lived up to what they said they would. I never understood the hype. The hype mainly was off of the brand-name of the developers (Bioware) and Voice Overs and th IP.... That was it...

Bioware did all of this. They didn't over hype anything here. Everything here is just what they advertised. They didn't pull a Warhammer(ironic I know), nor did they pull a Darkfall kind of launch move.

so why are you disappointed?

I'm not disappointed. There are only a few things I don't like about the game.

1. Customization - Body types are pretty bad still. Number 2 looks like he has an eating disorder and I think that's suppose to be the normal body type. The heads in the game are very limited, I see clones of myself and I'm forced to show my helm. I want something that lets us dye our armor and/or robes. I would like to be able to fully recustomize my guy aside from race/class. One of my friends rolled a Zabrak and whenever we play together we are clones. :|

2. Bugs - There are quite a bit that need working on. Instead of releasing new content(right away), I'd like to see them iron out the game a little more. 

3. PvP - When I'm leveling up, I feel like Warzones are worth it. When I'm on a lvl 50 character, I get utterly destroyed by the old 50s(who have full sets by now) who use to farm me when I was lvl 11 lol. It seems like eventually things will balance out and there will be a lot more ungeared people to PvP against(like in WoW). Right now though I'm not stepping foot in the 50s bracket. I tried 2 games, it was awful. I don't consider myself a top notch PvPer or anything but I do love it. Currently at Valor rank 43(Centurion). More incentives to world PvP please! Maybe include a lower level PvP area also?

4. Guilds - It would be nice to have the option to label characters in the guild as dps or tanks or heals. Also how about a guild base of some kind?(SEE BELOW). 

5. No player housing - I don't count ships as player houses. You can't customize them beyond what's needed for space combat. I'd like to put a trophy on my wall or change my current layout. We could make due with instanced player houses or apartments. We don't need full player cities. Yes SWG was badass but they aren't gonna do it. Neocron did player housing and it was great. All instanced but fully customizable and players could enter as long as they knew ur password. (front door would still be locked but they included a doorbell)

6. Lack of RP support/props. - When the game was coming out, I was so excited to be able to RP in a game again. I just don't feel any love from the devs on this one. We can't even sit down in chairs in the cantina! WTF

Overall great game. Worth a sub if you love Star Wars and have been looking for something since SWG to play.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Cameron27

What I've come to learn from this thread is that bitching beta testers ruined SWTOR. Bioware wanted you to be able to kill your companions, but "Oh no I can't deal with the choices I made." Bioware wanted flashpoints to be stories that allowed your character to effect later flashpoints and thus make you feel like you were doing something impactful, but then the beta testers started bitching "Oh no if someone in my group gets the DS when I vote LS my story will be ruined! Wah Wah I'm selfish! Give me my Gerber's MMO! Wah Wah! I don't want to play this game again with a char for the same quests, so just make my choices meaningless instead! Wah Wah!"

*Sigh*oware

Correction, Bioware ruined SWTOR. It was known IMMEDIATELY that choices could not have consequences, I'm talking the day after they announced choices smart people were on the forums saying "It's not going to happen". In a mass appeal MMO you need to appeal to the masses and allowing them to gimp themselves or someone else to ruin their fun simply doesn't do that. Bioware wanted a mass appeal MMO and designed the game to accomplish that. It wasn't the beta testers, it was Bioware's vision of what the game should be. You also conveinently leave out the thousands of other ideas beta testers gave that could have made the game a lot better, things like a better UI that were brought up over a year before release.

The long and short of it is that Bioware did not design a game where choices could matter, Story/VO restricted them. If companions didn't have story and VO tied to them then they could have included loads more companions, even companions that were open to all classes. Then killing one wouldn't have been such an issue. What this game needed was a lot more options and saddled with Story/VO it couldn't be done.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

I know the game was majorly hyped up. And manynpeople seem disappointed, But really,, was this hype by Bioware or the Fans? Maybe EA?

to me it seems like Bioware lived up to what they said they would. I never understood the hype. The hype mainly was off of the brand-name of the developers (Bioware) and Voice Overs and th IP.... That was it...

Bioware did all of this. They didn't over hype anything here. Everything here is just what they advertised. They didn't pull a Warhammer(ironic I know), nor did they pull a Darkfall kind of launch move.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum about features... Many things developers "said" would be in SWTOR are not.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by allegria

Read the sticky at the top of this forum about features... Many things developers "said" would be in SWTOR are not.

I thought I had read something about open, persistant world as well.  SWTOR is no where close to having that.  

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by TheFirst109

Well the point of the thread was if bioware lived up to everything they said they would do..and this video shows Ohlen saying what everyone said he said about how it's not epic to have a group of people beat on a boss...yet that is exactly what raid content they have made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68VfgesWmcI

It would have been nice to hear him finish where he was going with that TBH, it was a short edited clip of his statement, without the entire statement (context) for me it's hard to know what he was saying they did differently, it's really easy to edit a video in such a way to make them look far worse than they were in such an exaggeration.

I didn't watch the video the first time it was posted, now that I saw it, it's intention was obvious, granted I'm not saying he didn't "lie". I'm just saying I don't trust sources like that. Got a link to the actual statements made in full?

here ya go full clip http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-4

funny cause I remember watching this clip when it was first released and I thought damn the combat doesn't really look that good at all compared to other games coming out... but hey those were just beta clips I'm SURE it will get better at release.... oh well

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    On the subject of story and choices, this is an actual quote that is CURRENTLY on the SWTOR website info page:

make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions.

Now the light/dark side stuff...fine, that's in the game. All it does is decide what gear you get, but it's in the game so I can't really dispute it. But the other stuff?

Make decisions that define your personal story?

Companions betray you based on your actions?

Yeah not from what I hear.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Originally posted by headphones

here's another way of looking at swtor:

it's in no way shape or form an mmo. you really have to admit that. sure, it has some of the features, but the strict linear structure (more strict even than wow imo), substandard ah (ever tried to find something when you're not quite sure what stupid category it might be in? and you have to troll through pages of stuff to browse. can't just browse "helmets" or "chest slots"... i mean, really?), tacked-on pvp, and the way it seems to push you away from playing with other players outside of flashpoints seems to me to put it squarely into the rpg genre more than the mmo.

given this, if you rate it as an rpg game, how would you rate it?

the environment is flaccid and dead. the npcs just window dressing. nothing moves. i mean, NOTHING moves. the "creatures" on the side of the road are there just to break up monotony. there's no attempt to create a vibrant, living world.

compare, then, to skyrim, and this doesn't rank high in the rpg department other than having a multiplayer option for a few dungeons...

the "story" concept is a wonderful addition to the modern mmo. but, i feel in this case bioware took it just a little too far and ended up so far off the mmo road that i don't see how they're going to drag this one back without at least a few large expansions and modifications to their game mechanics. in their enthusiasm to provide a great story and quest-delivery mechanism, they forgot they were making an mmo.

all the same, i don't feel it fails. i feel it instead sets both a benchmark and a warning.

gw2, for example, will have its "personal story" elements compared to swtor. that's going to be tough for them. swtor's choices CAN sometimes amuse you and surprise you. can gw2 live up to that?

the flipside is the warning: don't spend so much time on your personal stories that you forget the game itself.

I think this post sums it up pretty well.  I also have a feeling that SWTOR got carried away with glossing up the voice overs etc.  Think about how much work has gone into the voices and animations for the hundreds of missions...mind blowing. 

However along the way the massive open world which should be an MMO is kinda lost.  I do love some of the scenary and I find myself going 'wow look at that' but its like flicking through a photo album.

I know I will get my monies worth but I hope they do something dramatic like set up a neutral world which both sides can fight over and let players buy land or whatever to bring it back to a good MMO. 

I will happily level up a few stories and then probably jump on to something else because I personally have given up on an MMO I can stick with long term.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by Creslin321

On the subject of story and choices, this is an actual quote that is CURRENTLY on the SWTOR website info page:

make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions.

Now the light/dark side stuff...fine, that's in the game. All it does is decide what gear you get, but it's in the game so I can't really dispute it. But the other stuff?

Also effects the outcome of that decision and the way you look if you go dark...

Make decisions that define your personal story?

Choices you make doing your class quests alter future class quests

Companions betray you based on your actions?

Not sure if I've ever pissed a companion off that much...maybe?

Yeah not from what I hear.

If you ESC out of a dialog and make different choices, you'll note that the responses from the NPCs don't always change.

It's a good single player game with MMO grind thrown in for good measure. I'd have prefered it was just a single player game without the grind.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Yes and no.

Yes - it's an entertaining game for 30 minutes each evening for a few months.

No - there is no reason to PvP unless seeing your name on 'top 50 list of players' really turns you on.

For longevity, Eve Online wins. 

LOL since when did eve seep into this thread? ROFL as if this game is at ALL competing with eve for players, the games are nothing alike in any way. I like eve, but blatant fanboi'sim like that is pretty lame dude.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

IMO, they did not live up to their crafting promises. They said that if you are a hardcore dedicated crafter, you will have people banging down your door for your wares. This is not true at all.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time, credits, and resources making an item that can be replaced by daily pvp gear in a single gaming session. Not only that, but the best crafting recipes come from...operations. Thats right, the raiders get the best gear drops and the best crafting recipes.

MMOs are designed to reward time/credits spent doing a certain task. Crafting in this game takes exponentially more time, money and resources than pvp or ops and it yeilds the worst gear in the game at 50.

I really hope they change this soon. I dont want to have to raid in order to make the best crafted gear. That makes no sense. And If I'm going to invest my entire stockroom plus a week of reverse engineering and a million credits, the result should have better stats than a piece of pvp gear that takes a couple hours to get with zero credit or resource investment.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Hey OP. I agree with you. They completely lived up to the major points they promised. There are only 3 things Im disappointed in, 1 of which we already know they are going to improve, Character Creation (who knows if this will ever improve), the Artificial Intelligence  of the NPCs you battle (so far just like every other MMO, and the UI (which we know will improve). Other minor points are the day night cycles which is almost a non issue for me. I also wish the world felt more alive like the single player games we love (SKyrim lol), but as far as MMOs go, they delivered BIG TIME! Unlike other games everyone in these forums raved about prior to release (Darkfall, Aion, Warhammer, AOC, etc), they kept their word!

There Is Always Hope!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm not sure if Bioware lived up to everything they said they would do, but they didn't live up to all the things their fanbois said they'd do.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I dunno if BW lived up to what they told everyone they would do but i can tell you that they didn't do what every MMO needs in order for it to be an MMO. That's why they are charging people for the REAL beta, the one they started on Launch Day.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by itgrowls

I dunno if BW lived up to what they told everyone they would do but i can tell you that they didn't do what every MMO needs in order for it to be an MMO. That's why they are charging people for the REAL beta, the one they started on Launch Day.

I like your signature ;)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by itgrowls

I like your signature ;)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

It is the epitome of the checklist MMO.  Technically, they're able to check off everything they said would be in the game, but, I expected some of it to be more than just, well, it's there.  I knew it wouldn't be a sandbox, but I expected Coruscant to be a lot more impressive and city-like.  I knew the combat would be the familiar MMO style, but I expected it to be less mechanical and more entertaining.  Things like that.

They never actually said the game wouldn't be so autistically utilitarian, but still, I didn't expect that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by chryses

it's in no way shape or form an mmo. you really have to admit that. sure, it has some of the features, but the strict linear structure (more strict even than wow imo), substandard ah (ever tried to find something when you're not quite sure what stupid category it might be in? and you have to troll through pages of stuff to browse. can't just browse "helmets" or "chest slots"... i mean, really?), tacked-on pvp, and the way it seems to push you away from playing with other players outside of flashpoints seems to me to put it squarely into the rpg genre more than the mmo.

the environment is flaccid and dead. the npcs just window dressing. nothing moves. i mean, NOTHING moves. the "creatures" on the side of the road are there just to break up monotony. there's no attempt to create a vibrant, living world.

compare, then, to skyrim, and this doesn't rank high in the rpg department other than having a multiplayer option for a few dungeons...

the "story" concept is a wonderful addition to the modern mmo. but, i feel in this case bioware took it just a little too far and ended up so far off the mmo road that i don't see how they're going to drag this one back without at least a few large expansions and modifications to their game mechanics. in their enthusiasm to provide a great story and quest-delivery mechanism, they forgot they were making an mmo.

all the same, i don't feel it fails. i feel it instead sets both a benchmark and a warning.

gw2, for example, will have its "personal story" elements compared to swtor. that's going to be tough for them. swtor's choices CAN sometimes amuse you and surprise you. can gw2 live up to that?

the flipside is the warning: don't spend so much time on your personal stories that you forget the game itself.

I think this post sums it up pretty well.  I also have a feeling that SWTOR got carried away with glossing up the voice overs etc.  Think about how much work has gone into the voices and animations for the hundreds of missions...mind blowing. 

However along the way the massive open world which should be an MMO is kinda lost.  I do love some of the scenary and I find myself going 'wow look at that' but its like flicking through a photo album.

I know I will get my monies worth but I hope they do something dramatic like set up a neutral world which both sides can fight over and let players buy land or whatever to bring it back to a good MMO. 

I will happily level up a few stories and then probably jump on to something else because I personally have given up on an MMO I can stick with long term.

The only reason I really don't agree (about the MMO part) is because to me it doesn't feel much different than the MMO's that have released over the last 7 years. To me it actually feels a little bit more MMO-like than AOC did.

That may be because I know so many playing on my server, or it may be the game itself I've yet to figure that one out yet.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

@OP

Perhaps in name, but definitely not in execution.

And execution is the one that really matters...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by chryses

The only reason I really don't agree (about the MMO part) is because to me it doesn't feel much different than the MMO's that have released over the last 7 years. To me it actually feels a little bit more MMO-like than AOC did.

That may be because I know so many playing on my server, or it may be the game itself I've yet to figure that one out yet.

i guess what i meant was that when getting into a small group (ie: myself and my wife), the game isn't really geared for it. we get split up all the time either due to class quests or because the mobs are insanely easy. sure, the flashpoints yada yada, but just generally playing through the game doesn't require you to kind of put stuff together. in other games, for example, we often feed of each other's crafting options. say, i might be mining and feeding her the mats for her smithing. here, they give you three options and they're all on automatic. nothing to share.

there's just no part of the game other than flashpoints and pvp (though that's been a bizarre affair - what's with the rotation of maps? i feel like i'm playing OLDschool quake where the guy running the server isn't listening when you're telling him you're SICK of that map) where you seem to interact with other players in a positive and enjoyable manner. the "massive" part of the mmo is missing. we can't run space missions together. can't really do anything together. and that's where i feel this lets itself down.

it's got a great single-player component and i think they listened to a few players who were vocal "casual solo" players?

there's some great positive aspects to this game, but i think it will in the long run stand as a springboard for other games which will use it for the betterment of the mmo as a genre.

(edited to finish a sentence which was started but suddenly

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Originally posted by sanosukex

I believe many of the people are confusing what the story is which you are impacting. The story is what you make of it. If you could jot down each and every action your character does in the game, well that would be your characters story. In SWTOR you can chose which path you take. The outcome is part of that story that would be written down for each character. So yes, you are changing the outcome of the story.

your not changing the outcome that's the point... but I would like to live in imagination land as well.. although didn't look like a great place in south park...

The outcome I pointed out was having that companion for the remainder of the story or not, that's not a changed outcome?

Which class were you playing?  When I was presented with this "choice" during the BH story, regardless of the option I chose the NPC still became my companion.  That royally pissed me off when I wanted to and had chosen to kill him.  It completely violated the character I was developing and violated the class story itself, but God forbid someone didn't want one of their precious companions.

Yeah...I'm not surprised by this. The problem is that there is a fundamental clash between the idea that you get to make these meaningful decisions that will forever affect your character, and the idea of an MMORPG.

You see, in an MMORPG, everyone wants to be able to "re" everything. Respec, regear, repurpose, retry. After all, you are expected to play the game for a very long time and grow attached to your character(s). You don't want to get to permanently lose out on a companion because of one decision and then spend the rest of the game envious of your peers that still have the companion.

I think that somewhere along the line, Bioware realized this and had the scrap a lot of their ideas for decisions that actually WOULD create meaningful changes. IMO, the fundamental design of mixing highly branching storyline with an MMORPG was flawed, and I think SWTOR illustrates that.

Then again this would have went -with- their design-decission of having people roll alts and experience different stories.

Right now, that is not a part of TOR and goes against the design of the game (same class alts experience very similar stories overall no matter if light/darkside). 

Also there are no respecs anyways (advanced classes) so they do not follow the policy you outlined, or more specifically, they do "some of the time".

You have gear-modding that supports the respec/repurpose route, but you do not have respecs of adv. classes which goes against the respec policy. You have (instanced) choices that are premanent, but do not in the "real world" of the game. etc.

Its again that TORs story aspect and the MMO aspect are inherrently concepts that are counter to eachother and Bio did a bad job of unifying them.

The whole game is borderline shizzophrenic design-wise.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

i guess what i meant was that when getting into a small group (ie: myself and my wife), the game isn't really geared for it. we get split up all the time either due to class quests or because the mobs are insanely easy. sure, the flashpoints yada yada, but just generally playing through the game doesn't require you to kind of put stuff together. in other games, for example, we often feed of each other's crafting options. say, i might be mining and feeding her the mats for her smithing. here, they give you three options and they're all on automatic. nothing to share.

there's just no part of the game other than flashpoints and pvp (though that's been a bizarre affair - what's with the rotation of maps? i feel like i'm playing OLDschool quake where the guy running the server isn't listening when you're telling him you're SICK of that map) where you seem to interact with other players in a positive and enjoyable manner. the "massive" part of the mmo is missing. we can't run space missions together. can't really do anything together. and that's where i feel this lets itself down.

it's got a great single-player component and i think they listened to a few players who were vocal "casual solo" players?

there's some great positive aspects to this game, but i think it will in the long run stand as a springboard for other games which will use it for the betterment of the mmo as a genre.

I been saying this for awhile.. its fine to have a good amount of solo content in a MMO but to be the main  focal point of the entire game I feel is a mistake. Also in most MMOs the pet class is usually considered the go to solo class yet in this game every class is a pet class with the companion system. Top that off with no sort of decent LFD or LFG tool then add in a HEAVILY phased game with instances all over... it's really no wonder people say this game doesn't feel like a true MMO and more like a single player game with MMO elements thrown in.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I'm not sure what your definition of respecs is, but just so you know, you can reset your talent tree selection. You just can't revert back to the non-advanced class. You will find the vendors that reset your talent tree in the homeworld of each faction.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Like I said the MMO feeling may be coming to me from the amount of people I know in the game (from SWG which is lots, huge community of guilds that came to TOR). Rather than the game itself. Saying it's more MMO to me than AOC, isn't really saying much compared to games like DAOC or SWG.

Your point here is sound though, some content is far too easy, but then again I think this may also depend on class choice. Many MMO's today have a disparity when it comes to class choice and difficulty. Some display it on the character select screen yet some don't. As a scoundrel there have been quite a few instances where I either A: needed help to clear a quest or B: needed to out-level the content to complete it (when Elites are involved).

Overall though out in the world in most cases it's very easy to solo, might not be the case when it comes to heroic areas, but that could also depend on class chocie, as again unless I outlevel an elite by a few levels, I'm dead, even considering I have purples on both myself and my main companion of choice.

As for PVP again the community I belong to changes that somewhat, we're all about world PVP, so regardless of Ilums issues a lot these peeps are there fighting each other, comes from the rivalry started long ago in SWG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'm not sure what your definition of respecs is, but just so you know, you can reset your talent tree selection. You just can't revert back to the non-advanced class. You will find the vendors that reset your talent tree in the homeworld of each faction.

Which is expensive, time consuming, and all around annoying.

I have 5 role slots in Rift where i can swap to whatever i want, when i want, as long as i'm not in combat. I'd have killed for that functionality in TOR so i could swap to Focus for trash and then back to Watchman for single target and bosses.

Being stuck in 1 build/tree is an outdated concept and yet another example of BW not improving on basic gameplay. I swear they don't play their own game or didn't past level 20.