Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Voice Acting Ups and Downs

124»

Comments

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Malakhon

This "Article" could be gelled down to:

"I really want the game to be like World of Warcraft"

don't like voice acting and brilliant storylines?

Then shut the hell up, because I don't want biowares designers to listen to you.

You have "Every Other Game" out there

/sigh

And you can't play single player RPG to for voice overs?

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Keogh

I completely disagree with the author and the trolls and haters here that most likely never played the game.

The voice acting is enjoyable and what sets this game apart from the pact.

The author showed his ignorance of the game by mentioning the power of hitting the space bar to avoid the voice acting. There is a box in preferances that allows you to completely turn off cut scenes. The its the same boring type of MMO that you all say is better.

{mod edit}

God forbid people have a different opinion than you, labeling them as trolls doesnt help getting your point through.

As you said, the voice acting is the only thing that sets this game apart from the rest.

The rest of the game is worse than the rest, heck the actual quests in WoW are more entertaining than they are in SWTOR, go watch a movie instead, seriously, you are not your character, realise it already.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

It's funny, in a tragic way.   Did you guys not get the memo that BW was "going to put the RPG back into MMORPG".  You don't have to take the quest, you know.  Oh but you're forcing yourself to?  PEBKAC

Say it's cheesy and laugh at the writing all you want but when you start complaining about hearing everyone's life story or a Jedi sounding like what a paragon of defense and justice should sound like then you're just being silly and ignorant.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• NEWMAN28NEWMAN28 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Is it just me but are a lot of these voiced mission givers actually text mission givers because they are speaking an alien language and you have to read the subtitles anyway?.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by NEWMAN28

Is it just me but are a lot of these voiced mission givers actually text mission givers because they are speaking an alien language and you have to read the subtitles anyway?.

But they are making sounds!!!!!~1`1211!!

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Keogh
    I completely disagree with the author and the trolls and haters here that most likely never played the game.The voice acting is enjoyable and what sets this game apart from the pact.The author showed his ignorance of the game by mentioning the power of hitting the space bar to avoid the voice acting. There is a box in preferances that allows you to completely turn off cut scenes. The its the same boring type of MMO that you all say is better.So you hate the game, no matter what. So what. Stop complain like a bunch of queens having a cat fight.Move on. 
    So does this look good to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoOQdU3zMzM. The game is full of these videos. These type of scenes are the main reason why I dislike SWTOR. They just ruin immersion because my character would not act so stiff and would not spout cheesy lines.

BOOYAKA!

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Originally posted by daltanious

Originally posted by DaddyDark

....  Actually I would love to see an MMO without side quests at all (well without this type of side quests where you have to go kill 20 of those).

You are completely ignoring the fact in swtor mobs are usually in groups of 3 to 4, so is ... more like killing 5 mobs in other mmos (where on the other hand one have to kill at least 10 of them, meaning effectively double then in swtor).

So you have to do 2 times less anonistic grinding vs WoW - I agree. Still I would love to see the game where you don't have to do anonistic grinding at all - that was the idea of my post. Imagine - you just emerge into the main quest-line with lots of dialogues and meaningful choices and some combat to make you familiar with game mechanics - ta da - in a few days you hit the max-level and finish the quest-line - you then engage in the endgame content or if you don't like the character you've picked up - you re-roll another class and instead of being bored power-leveling it through the same grinding staff you did with previous character just get intertained by the new questline. Isn't that better than grinding? Why should leveling be long and boring and largely irrelevant???  It's a game = it must be intertaining! I got bored by the SWTOR leveling much earlier than I would like to, though I agree it is much faster and a bit more intertaining vs. WoW.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

From the OP: "The time that it starts to get to me is when I am doing random side quests around the planet and the voice acting just kicks in for five minutes.  I can skip it, sure, but it feels almost like I’m cheating myself out of content."

So, you regret it being in the game, but you'd regret more skipping it?

/facepalm

If you don't want to watch it, hit the spacebar.   If you don't want to do the quest, say no.   Jeez, it's like you people are complaining that the option of getting to choose between VO or reading is bad.

I love it, myself.  The only thing I space are is the alien languages.    And I'm my 4th alt.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

It's hard to say, I personally hate cutscenes but I don't mind voice acting. I liked Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, it had dialogue options you could choose from, but the NPCs responses were voice actors. Iron Realms recently surveyed their players on the SWTOR voice actors fiasco