Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I've realised is people who are playing MMOs, do not actually want to play MMOs...

1789101113»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by kantseeme

Originally posted by nariusseldon

If shear numbers dictates how the genre will evolve then in 5 years time ALL mmos will look like farmville. Now is that something we want?

Farmville is not making as much as WOW, is it?

And if you don't think numbers have some influence of the future of the market, you are born yesterday. Market does develop to serve consumer segments that are LARGE ENOUGH though.

What did i just say? Please refer to the post YOU quoted. And just so you know that IF Farmville was charging a monthy fee, you dont think they would blow WoW out of the water in revenew? Who was born yesterday?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_play_Farmville_globally

63,370,436 monthly active subs..... how many does WoW have again?

So no i say this again....... IF shear numbers dictates how the genre will evolve then in 5 years time ALL MMOs will look like Farmville.

Number of people != money. IF farmville was charging a monthly fee, they will have 1/100 of their users right now. Just look at DDO/LOTRO/STO for the reverse effect.

If you think that Farmville will have the SAME number of active users if they charge $15 a month .. now who is naive?

1/00? have you seen some of the people that play Farmville? tap the person infront of you and ask them if they play farmville. 1 in 4 will say yep. even if they lost half of there sub base thats still 31,685,218 subs... even if they charged 5 bucks a month who cares. were talking sub numbers. You said it yourself " And If you dont think numbers have some influance on the future of the market, you were born yesterday" i didnt say that YOU did.

The bottomeline is that you have no clue if farmville is charging, what revenue they can get. In fact, bioware is openly saying that the market for sub games is limited.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Banaghran

Last time I look, i can't go to a SKYRIM dungeon with a group. And that is what justify my $15 a month to Blizz.

Well, it is a close one, considering that LFG/R/ASDF with its ease of getting a group AND the reduced requirements within these services creates a situation, where the other players are just more or less expendable "companions", bringing us back to the single player problem.

And im not against lfg or any other service, its just the overall state of the games which makes it a easy target...

Companions certainly blur the line but many here claims that people r different. Plus, i do have friends and relatives that i want to play with and skyrim certainly does not allow me to go dungeoning with my son, which i value highly.

Diablo 3, otoh, will and that prob will be a good competitior to many mmos.
  • kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

If shear numbers dictates how the genre will evolve then in 5 years time ALL mmos will look like farmville. Now is that something we want?

Farmville is not making as much as WOW, is it?

And if you don't think numbers have some influence of the future of the market, you are born yesterday. Market does develop to serve consumer segments that are LARGE ENOUGH though.

What did i just say? Please refer to the post YOU quoted. And just so you know that IF Farmville was charging a monthy fee, you dont think they would blow WoW out of the water in revenew? Who was born yesterday?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_play_Farmville_globally

63,370,436 monthly active subs..... how many does WoW have again?

So no i say this again....... IF shear numbers dictates how the genre will evolve then in 5 years time ALL MMOs will look like Farmville.

Number of people != money. IF farmville was charging a monthly fee, they will have 1/100 of their users right now. Just look at DDO/LOTRO/STO for the reverse effect.

If you think that Farmville will have the SAME number of active users if they charge $15 a month .. now who is naive?

1/00? have you seen some of the people that play Farmville? tap the person infront of you and ask them if they play farmville. 1 in 4 will say yep. even if they lost half of there sub base thats still 31,685,218 subs... even if they charged 5 bucks a month who cares. were talking sub numbers. You said it yourself " And If you dont think numbers have some influance on the future of the market, you were born yesterday" i didnt say that YOU did.

The bottomeline is that you have no clue if farmville is charging, what revenue they can get. In fact, bioware is openly saying that the market for sub games is limited.

The bottom line is this was all hypotherical. Just a glimps into the future that MMOs maybe going in. This was based off the assumption that numbers of players dictate the direction a MMO would evolve. Has nothing to do with paid subs.