Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Professional gaming sites are way out of touch with gaming

Comments

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Mackeh

Even the most die hard fan boy has to admit SWTOR has fell flat on it's face, but if you are still living in denial then a simple look at the server population on the official site will back me up.  Any mmo that sells 2 million copies at launch and then has empty servers 6 weeks later is an utter failure.

Anyway am not here to point out the obvious, I am here to draw your attention to this http://www.swtor.com/awards  it's a huge list of awards saying how amazing SWTOR is as an MMO.  It just goes to show how many so called "Professional" gaming sites are utterly out of touch with gaming. 

Or maybe it shows how many are easily bought ;)

Nope, gaming sites aren't out of touch and they weren't bought. 

Look closely at the awards.  Every single one of the 2011 awards are for E3, even the ones that don't say it specifically.  http://torwars.com/2011/06/17/swtor-dinged-15-times-at-e3/  I didn't check, but it looks like most, if not all of the previous years' awards were as well. 

ArenaNet doesn't go to E3, so SWTOR wasn't competing against Guild Wars 2.

That isn't to say that SWTOR didn't win, or isn't capable of winning awards in other places, but why list something like that you were MMORPG.com's choice for Best PVP for PAX 2011 when you can just list a ton of Best in Show awards.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Gurpslord

Ok, all silliness aside.  

You know what blows my mind here?  The OP immediately said, Ok, it's cool guys, don't wana stir the hornets nest, my bad I apologize.

Despite his act of humanity the zealous came to feed anyhow.  Well, that's just...about right for this place actually.  Sad overall really, but..exactly what everyone would and should expect from this scary hell on earth.

Gotta love it.

Honestly I think he did a much better job of trolling (and exposing?) the out of touch SWTOR fanboi by NOT saying anything else lol. He set the bomb and then just sits back and watches random idiots froth at the mouth. Brilliant. Not the usual trolling tactic but obviously effective.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by TheHavok

ok sorry

I'm going to give you an award for being the first person to say sorry on mmorpg.com

Congrats!

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Even the most die hard fan boy has to admit SWTOR has fell flat on it's face, but if you are still living in denial then a simple look at the server population on the official site will back me up.  Any mmo that sells 2 million copies at launch and then has empty servers 6 weeks later is an utter failure.

Anyway am not here to point out the obvious, I am here to draw your attention to this http://www.swtor.com/awards  it's a huge list of awards saying how amazing SWTOR is as an MMO.  It just goes to show how many so called "Professional" gaming sites are utterly out of touch with gaming. 

Game sites review how well a MMO is made, not how long time the endgame lasts.

As for TOR falling flat or not is still up to debate, a bit over a month is not enough to really know that. 

But yeah, Bioware do need to fix up the endgame if they want the players to stay long term. I think most people agree on that but MMOs rarely if ever have a complete endgame at launch.

And proffesional reviewers and actual people often have different opinions on stuff. I never seen Kid Rock getting a good review for his albums but somehow he still sell millions of CDs. It is something that more or less happens with everything from art to cars.

I have to admit that I though TOR would be in a lot worse shape at the release. Bioware did a good job there but it might be that players just are tired of games that works like it. Or they might fix it up and get loads of players, still hard to say.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

you posted this at 5AM and you say its empty? .....

lol image

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

No matter the state of TOR, OP has a point. In my country gaming is suddenly the thing. This has lead to many non gaming magazines and newspapers having gaming columns/sections. It is obvious that many of the journalists can't tell a VCS 2600 from an Xbox on their own, giving outrageous high points while playing the game for no more than an hour or two.

The fact that mmorpgs can't be fairly evaluatedd in a short time amplifies the problem.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by page

Your right it's all about kickbacks and marketing....Add in that many are just pure Starwars fans, and many of them are video game players, not mmo players !

It's not an mmo its a standard video game.

Exactly in six months time when they actually finish the game maybe it could be called an mmo. Until then it's a solo mmo with some multiplayer features and no space combat to speak of. PvP was an afterthought and space combat was an afterthought, i'll check back then. It's newness isn't completely worn off yet. We'll see then.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Loke666

Game sites review how well a MMO is made, not how long time the endgame lasts.

As for TOR falling flat or not is still up to debate, a bit over a month is not enough to really know that. 

But yeah, Bioware do need to fix up the endgame if they want the players to stay long term. I think most people agree on that but MMOs rarely if ever have a complete endgame at launch.

And proffesional reviewers and actual people often have different opinions on stuff. I never seen Kid Rock getting a good review for his albums but somehow he still sell millions of CDs. It is something that more or less happens with everything from art to cars.

I have to admit that I though TOR would be in a lot worse shape at the release. Bioware did a good job there but it might be that players just are tired of games that works like it. Or they might fix it up and get loads of players, still hard to say.

For me this whole thing is a bit remiscient of WAR. Great fun leveling in Tier 1-3 but then people logged of in disgust when they reached the end game. It was buggy, poor performant and generally not well done or not even done at all in some aspect.

SW:TOR has alot less bugs and performance issues but the end game seems to be sorely lacking. With a game that is so quick to level that really does not work in the long run.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by dubyahite

First off, the servers aren't empty. They are packed still.

Second, it didn't fall flat on it's face either.

Keep bailing! The Titanic shall not sink!

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

</
    Even the most die hard trolls know this posted falls on its face. I am not here to point out the obvious but the OP is trolling. My server was heavy last night, the imperial fleet was packed with people and chat was busy. Why people feel the need to posted these ignorant posted is beyond me. TOR is not going to fail it will be around for a long time, its time for the haters to move on in defeat.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by noncley

Originally posted by dubyahite

First off, the servers aren't empty. They are packed still.

Second, it didn't fall flat on it's face either.

Keep bailing! The Titanic shall not sink!

Keep denying the truth! Reality doesn't matter!

Yes, I just said that.

• milkpuddingmilkpudding Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Gurpslord

HOW DARE YOU SIR, you get back here right now and make this worse!  It was expected of you and how dare you let us down!

LMAO!!! This thread totally cracks me up.

I agree with the OP. I won't call the game a failure in any sense but something didn't go quite right. 

I'm still having fun with the PVE contents so far and taking things really slow. But I don't see this continues for more than 2 more months. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong coz I had so much hope for it. :-

This game is fun while it lasts.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Varking

Originally posted by Kenze

Where did you go to see the servers are empty? Since as far as I can see that isn't true at all.
    http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Is it prime time for gaming? Here in the US on the east coast it is 6 AM on a weekday. Out west it is 3 AM on a weekday. Is this surprising? Check back on those during peak hours.

Good thing about video games is they work at night, too.

WoW for example in it's heyday the populated, release servers were packed basically 24/7. (The "new" server crazy where people would reroll, hit cap then ditch and go somewhere else has left some oddities in this, though.)

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251

Even the most die hard haters know this post is a fail! My server was heavy last night. The imperial fleet was packed And chat was busy. I think its time for the haters to pack it in and accept defeat. TOR will be around for a long time all the ignorant posts will not stop that.
  • Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46

I think its safe to say that most of you are just to hard to please. As games and technology have progressed, we expect things to be bigger and better then the last big thing, and there comes a point when they hit a wall, and can no longer satisfy the majority, and I think that day is here.

Or at the very least anti-aliasing, multicore render support and texture resolutions greater than 256x256.

What is this, 1990?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

{mod edit}

Originally posted by Tortanic
    Or at the very least anti-aliasing, multicore render support and texture resolutions greater than 256x256.
    What is this, 1990?

None of those things is true. In fact you can't play the game on single core processors at all.

In a sense.

The engine is singlethreaded/core, so they split it into two processes instead of implementing multithreading - interprocess communication is far slower than multithreading. (Think having two Notepads open, one for wordwrap and one for typing.)

So basically - by going with the prototype engine they did, they entirely ignored the past decade of hardware advancements. (Even Wal-Mart budget boxes are 64bit dual cores now.)

P.S

I was able to run the game on a single core P4, barely. (Beta)

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

What is this, 1990?

None of those things is true. In fact you can't play the game on single core processors at all.

According to a poster on official forums, you're wrong.

If you turn off all your cores except 1, the game will run, and almost just as well as it would with 2+ or 4+ cores. This is NOT normal.

EDIT: Another thread where people claim they can run the game on single core

• Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Heh, well its pretty obvious that you've never played the game before. Hows "Hello Kitty Online" btw? Keeping you entertained I hope? lol! In all seriousness, the game has hit a few bumps, but it just released, what do you expect perfection? They are fixing bugs and working hard on the game. Sure the pvp is borked, customer service is a sham, and its a bit shallow on the social features side, but its still good fun, and it will improve. I can name many games that released that sucked and lacked depth, like CoH for example, Warcraft was a bit shallow with no raids or warzones, bugs galore, and AoC was fail on a massive level, and don't get me started on that fraud known as Vanguard, we all got facerolled there.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Pelaaja

What is this, 1990?

According to a poster on official forums, you're wrong.

If you turn off all your cores except 1, the game will run, and almost just as well as it would with 2+ or 4+ cores. This is NOT normal.

The poster is full of baloney. Read the dev response. Then tell me what instruction turns off a core of a multicore processor. You can set affinity you can't turn them on and off.

I found another thread and edited it to my post.

EDIT: Here's some info how to disable cores.

EDIT2: And some more.

You can control what cores/modules get used for what, via affinity, bios or boot.ini.

So...yes, you can turn them off, on, whatever - though with for example AMD's fancy module nonsense - only certain motherboards will allow you to turn one core per module off. (Module - Two cores sharing certain resources, some motherboards allow you to enable only one core per module so single thread performance for that core is 20-30% better.)

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Marius6870

I think its safe to say that most of you are just to hard to please. As games and technology have progressed, we expect things to be bigger and better then the last big thing, and there comes a point when they hit a wall, and can no longer satisfy the majority, and I think that day is here.

It's been posted many times before but it's no less true for it - Everything is awesome and nobody is happy.

I'm old enough to remember when games about massive alien invasions in a future Earth were represented by a letter O at the top of the screen that flickered around a bit while you controlled a percentage sign that sometimes shot an exclamation mark when you pressed a button. And that was awesome.

Now we have realistic looking worlds that we can play with people in countries that might as well have been other planets 30 years ago. And it SUCKS.

I'm not saying TOR is perfect, or that MMOs in general are some pinnacle of gaming that need to be worshipped, but  reading many of the posts on gaming forums and hearing some of the rage and hate that's directed at relatively trivial issues that will get fixed, or worse still, at games that said poster has no interest in playing at all, I marvel at how spoilt and puny we've become.

All these self-styled internet tough guys are infeasibly soft. God only knows what they'd be like if they ever got any actual hardship in their lives.

Man, I've wanted to say that for ages. Warn away mods, it'll be worth it just to have got that baby off my chest.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Where did you go to see the servers are empty? Since as far as I can see that isn't true at all.

Is it prime time for gaming? Here in the US on the east coast it is 6 AM on a weekday. Out west it is 3 AM on a weekday. Is this surprising? Check back on those during peak hours.

WoW for example in it's heyday the populated, release servers were packed basically 24/7. (The "new" server crazy where people would reroll, hit cap then ditch and go somewhere else has left some oddities in this, though.)

No...they weren't...

Keep telling yourself that.

Originally posted by bossalinie

No...they weren't...
    Keep telling yourself that.

Illidan Horde, Mal'Ganis Horde, Barthilas Aliance, Tich Horde, Whisperwind, Zul'Jin are all always pretty heavily populated with the major cities crawling with people.

This discussion has been closed.