Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: How to Improve PvP

Comments

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by JeroKane

That is one of the Major baffling issues plagueing PVP in this game. That a group of enemy players can chain CC you till you're dead!

Something that was plagueging WAR in the beginning too! With CC's being stackable and having no CC immunity after you already suffered one!

They later added an imunity timer in WAR to try rectify this issue and PVP greatly improved after that.

Diminishing CC returns is also good implementation.  The fact alone that SW:TOR had neither factored into their PvP just makes me laugh once again at BioWare's expense.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by KingofHartz

I wouldn't put one more some of money into swtor pvp, its not a pvp game, its a single player rpg that turns into multiplayer at lvl 50, they just need to know what they are and expand on that. Swtor is not a pvp game, if they do anything, just make it an option but give everyone the same gear for his or her class and then let people go at it, don't waste time on pvp its not your strength. Know what you are bio and expand on that but not beyond your limits, I think you did it with swtor but your going a little to far when you want to include pvp, your not pvp.

If BioWare takes your advice, I'll be un-subbing in a few months!  (even though I have the Collector's Edition!)

PvE has brilliant short-term appeal, but poor long-term appeal.

You need PvP once you are tired of PvE.

The big problem is that the PvP of SWTOR doesn't resemble the big battles in Star Wars. However, there is a game called Eve Online which does resemble the space battles!

The problem with Eve Online is that all factions seem to be equally good / evil!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I wouldn't put one more some of money into swtor pvp, its not a pvp game, its a single player rpg that turns into multiplayer at lvl 50, they just need to know what they are and expand on that. Swtor is not a pvp game, if they do anything, just make it an option but give everyone the same gear for his or her class and then let people go at it, don't waste time on pvp its not your strength. Know what you are bio and expand on that but not beyond your limits, I think you did it with swtor but your going a little to far when you want to include pvp, your not pvp.

I would be fine with the underlined statement. Problem is that at level 50 there isn't all that much to do. Yeah sure the game is new but that excuse cannot be used 2-3 months from now as you cant expect people to reroll alts forever.

However I think it would be a huge misstake not to build on PvP. Even WoW, which is primarily a PvE game, realised that there is a large crowd that likes to do PvP so they added alot of PvP content over time. SW:TOR needs to do the same or fall into the same PvE only cathegory games like LotrO and FF XI and I dont think the market is that big for pure PvE games.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

If BioWare takes your advice, I'll be un-subbing in a few months!  (even though I have the Collector's Edition!)

The big problem is that the PvP of SWTOR doesn't resemble the big battles in Star Wars. However, there is a game called Eve Online which does resemble the space battles!

The problem with Eve Online is that all factions seem to be equally good / evil!

Eve battles are like Star Wars? Give me a break! Eve battles are two icons shooting blips at each other, does not look cinematic at all unless you are using a short range blaster or similar and even then it is most circling and no dog fighting or the like.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

LOL. I personally have never witnessed a space battle in Star Wars where the ships lag about the screen, rockets fly off in indescript directions, and a man sits at his desk munching a toffee crisp trying very hard to make the numbers on the spreadsheet in front of him balance with the numbers in the game.

Eve space battles are like SW space battles because they both involve ships with lasers. The similarity ends there.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by MacroHard

That is one of the Major baffling issues plagueing PVP in this game. That a group of enemy players can chain CC you till you're dead!

Something that was plagueging WAR in the beginning too! With CC's being stackable and having no CC immunity after you already suffered one!

They later added an imunity timer in WAR to try rectify this issue and PVP greatly improved after that.

Diminishing CC returns is also good implementation.  The fact alone that SW:TOR had neither factored into their PvP just makes me laugh once again at BioWare's expense.

Resolve, in theory, accomplishes this goal. In implementation, it needs some work. It's a fine design that simply needs the numbers tweaked.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by MikeB

Resolve, in theory, accomplishes this goal. In implementation, it needs some work. It's a fine design that simply needs the numbers tweaked.

It never seems to work, at least in my experience. I've had full resolve bars but yet still get stunned.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by dotdotdash

LOL. I personally have never witnessed a space battle in Star Wars where the ships lag about the screen, rockets fly off in indescript directions, and a man sits at his desk munching a toffee crisp trying very hard to make the numbers on the spreadsheet in front of him balance with the numbers in the game.

Eve space battles are like SW space battles because they both involve ships with lasers. The similarity ends there.

I admit - I do have a tripping, out-of-this-world imagination!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by MikeB

It never seems to work, at least in my experience. I've had full resolve bars but yet still get stunned.

Yeah, there's that, too. It either seems to be bugged in some instances or the UI is not reporting the Resolve meter status correctly. Either way, in this case and the tweaking of numbers I mentioned above, it's not a problem with the idea. Tweak the numbers some and make the Resolve bar more reliable in terms of actually working and voila you have a pretty solid solution to deal with tons of CC.

• NiquityNiquity Member UncommonPosts: 30

Like most of you i was craze ready for a cool fresh new MMO like SW:tor and was really looking ford to its release. i was in beta for about 9 months iv lvled almost every class to 50. i had 4 lvl 50's in beta and atm 2 lvl 50 in live both decked in pvp gear 1 is a valor rank 62 sorc the other is a valor rank 41 smugg. 

That being said. the game has taken a step back i think the game is more pvp balance about 3 beta builds be for this release and i keep playing but as time goes on I keep feeling more and more like Bioware really has no idea what they are doiong.

Trust me when I say this game was far better in beta they also REALLY messed up with the RNG pvp bag system. I lost 1 friend in swtor from it and I got 2 more left I don’t see them sticking around to much longer. But I cant blame them they are right swtor is NOT going to be an MMO aimed at pvp, because pve is there main focus its also what they are probably best at with all there single player titles.

In my opinion from a seasoned (sadly) swtor pvper, if you want a pvp mmo GW2 looks like the mmo for you.  

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Just play WAR if you want good PvP, simple as that. :)

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

as in WAR hammer ? did they get rid of the collition coding in WAR if not that alone makes it the worst pvp mmo on the marker that is / was in the spot light at one point.... Next  to, soon to be swtor....

gw2guru.com iv been watching it close sooooo far its looking to have done everything right.

P.S. I miss DAoC =( that was a blast of a pvp mmo iv been looking for that for years. prob is it dont have the people to make its system fun anymore. back in the day DAoC had EPIC large frontire battles..XD

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

My thoughts,  give people something really worth fighting for.  Create some sort of territory (make a new planet) where players/guilds can put their own fortresses down and defend them against all comers. 

Said fortresses should impart bonuses to the guild, and perhaps if enough fortresses exist impart factional bonuses to encourage everyone to assist each other within the faction.

Make the new planet contain valuable resources that can come from no where else but are extremely valuable, as a bonus make it so crafters can use them to create great new stuff.

Only reward people for fighting and killing, give no reward for just participating by standing around in the battlefield.

Reduce crowd control, it really only belongs in the hands of one or two classes. Reason being, then the focus in any battle will be to kill that person first, and then follow on to the healers.    

But make that person's crowd control very powerful, hence the desire to neutralize them quickly.   People decry DAOC's CC model but it was better than anything I've seen since, even if it did mean sometimes you were stuck for long periods of time.

None of this is likely to happen btw, maybe in the next game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Magter

Just play WAR if you want good PvP, simple as that. :)

PvP in WAR is better agreed, but the end game in WAR is extremely lacklustre.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by warbot7777

I agree with most of this. I wish they'd fix the damn resolve bar :(

I agree with fixing the resolve bar. First, I want a fix to the ability delay issue thou. I have heard good things about today's patch helping for the ability delay issue. Ilum is still awful as well. Still, I have been having a great time on my alt since the 50 pvp bracket came in.  

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

People will complain about the PvP in TOR till the cows come home, but I think there is one major, overriding fact that's not being taken in to account.

TOR was never hyped as a PvP game, was it? It's essentially a PvE game with some PvP tacked on to keep the masses happy.

Those masses are all the people that seem to think any new MMO must have some PvP in it to make it a hit. You see it everywhere. Where's the PvP? What are the PvP factions? What, no PvP?

I don't mind PvP, even though I'm pathetic at it, but TOR has made me seriously meh meh on PvP. I can't stand Huttball, and it's the only warzone I ever get, so I've stopped doing warzones. I like open world PvP but I never see any. I've seen a few republic running about in the high level questing zones but it's only ever one-versus-one (or actually more often two-versus-one in republic favour - they stick together often). I don't find that fun though.

I'm actually wishing I hadn't rolled on a PvP server, mainly because there's no point in having done so. I'm hampered often by republic underdogs sticking together (which I don't blame them for) but the Empire don't look out for each other. I've mentioned in chat before that there's a nuisance jedi causing havoc somewhere and gotten a 'so what' reply. The other day I saw someone say that the Republic were camping a quest hub and the reply was 'yeah, they always do'. Maybe that just echoes that PvP in TOR is a grind taking place in warzones.

The problem is that PvP should be just an add on. It should be carefully thought out and have some meaning. I don't blame BW/EA for this though. I blame the community that insist on every game having PvP. That's what brings this on. BW/EA have no choice but to tack on a bit of PvP or their game will be slated across the spectrum of internet gamers, and more so than it is now. 'No PvP, what the heck'?

People insist on PVP in a game so the devs tack some on. It doesn't work how people wnat it to, even though the game might not be a pure PvPer, and they complain. Do people ever consider that TOR isn't a hardcore PvPer? No, they don't. Should they consider this? Yes, they should.

Let's have games that are designed (from the get go) for PvP or games that aren't. Not games that are 'a bit of this' tacked on.

I'm looking forward to PvP in GW2 because ArenaNet appear to have been really thinking about it. There's the obligatory small team matches and then there's much hyped world versus world battles that pit three servers against each other. It's thought about, not tacked on. And there'll be no under populated faction against an over populated faction.

Just one last point to say I really am enjoying TOR, but I like it for the PvE and the story. I'm seriously bored of the PvP and wish I hadn't rolled on a PvP server.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25

A decent article but it assumes the current state of the game is caused by a problem, which I challenge, faction inbalance is likely temporary, for an average gamer who works and isnt fed electricity by introvenous drip, and cant play every night and when they can it's only for a few hours, they'll be about lvl 47 by now from early access, why because I hit that a few days ago, and havent had the time to play since, but should again today, neverthless I chose Sith Warrior as my first character, when it hits 50 and i sort it out properly I decided on Republic Smuggler next, why sith well it's unusual in comparison with the being good thing, so stands out as a great 1st char, i strongly suspect I'm not alone in that conviction but SWTOR is a game as such that as soon as you've capped one char youll get round to new ones, so whilst the empire has a big lead for now, many people once they cap they're empire char's will next go for a Republic char, so the faction balance may well become scued the opposite way around, given the number of char's ahead of us in this game and unlike most MMO's where if i made more than one char I rarely levelled them far unless I liked the game but disliked the gameplay of the first one, theres a real reason to level other char's in this game the unique storylines, and different gameplay experience combines actually gives me a reason to, and I suspect many others will to, but it is true, pvp needs allot of balance sub-50 if you place player's together they should have equal damage, you shouldnt get arse raped, and a lvl 10 facing a lvl 49 gets it in the butt just as hard as they would from a lvl 50, so it's hardly a fix. them seperating 50 finally but im not sure if just making level tier's is tne answer maybe provide further tweaks for lowe rhcars to make them equal to the higher ones in pvp zones instead, that way people levelling up and people playing their existing 50 char's can play together which is good but atm all it means is your not lvl 50 and pvp prepare to die... miserably allot unfairly.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Personally i think it runs alot deeper than just fixing PVP,they made a big bobo using the hero engine.Anyone who thinks that BioWare have not thought about all these pvp ideas over the 6 years is delusional.They have had devs from DAOC working with them and devs from war.

It's to little to late,the backdrop was set the day they agreed to use the crap graphics engine they built this game on.All this "with time bioware can" blah blah is just wishful thinking,they haven't got time.

Any serious PVP gamer would choose daoc three faction type pvp over swtor and sorry to bring it up but GW2 is that game.

Believe me when GW2 comes out many PVPers from swtor will switch.

BioWare can't turn back the clock and change the hero engine,this is imo what is stopping them going all out on RVR type PVP,the engine can't handle that type of PVP.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

BioWare will never be able to improve the PvP significantly.

This is because SWTOR was never designed for PvP - it was designed for storytelling.

In contrast, Eve Online was designed for open world PvP on one server.

Unfortunately, you have to 'choose the right tool for the right job'.

SWTOR serves as a decent break from Eve Online though.

I'd prefer to not sit there and look at a space ship for hours on end. I don't understand how EvE is fun.. it MUST be a subjective, I find it so utterly boring. T_T

On the other hand, I love this Article, and I do believe they need to fix other things besides just the PvP aspects of the game, some of the later Flashpoints leave out the importance of story - the very first Flash Point for Republic ( I cannot recall the name..) seemed to be the only one with a large storyline included, while the others seemed like a "grab and go" situation.

Im sorry, you mis understood what Bioware was telling people when they made the game about the things it would have and content you could be looking ford to.

ill let you know what they really said in short ....

Bioware "SWtor is our largest project every its larger than all thebioware games put together and we dont want this to be just and mmo you play when you have time we want this game to have EVERY THING you want, we only want you to play SWTOR.

Video link http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-1 4:20 in were he talked about what im posting here.

so you are wrong this should be every bit a pvp mmo as it every could be pve. and prob more so needs to be pvp focused because its aimed in that area more emp vs repub

Oh i also saw a few videos talking about how swtor is going be balaneced around pvp as well as pve dev doc vid #4

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-4

so yeah back to my point. SWtor pvp needs work to hold up to the standard thay keep pushing.

they said many times they are a pvp game i dont see it yet..

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

In my opinion PvP should actually be RvR.  I want reasoned PvP play, I get bored killing people for no reason other than loot.  We need the old DAoC realm pride to go along with some reason I need to better my side such as taking relics and such.  I like Kylera ealier post which I think adds value for peeps who want a reason to fight.  Make planets with objectives and let us make cities/guilds on them to defend and expand, that would be exciting!  Making PvP WoW style just bores the heck out of me.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

I like how everyone said the Empire is full of kids and Republic was where the hardcore PVPers went.

At least TOR finally broke the mentality that the "cool" side is for babies.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Personally i think it runs alot deeper than just fixing PVP,they made a big bobo using the hero engine.Anyone who thinks that BioWare have not thought about all these pvp ideas over the 6 years is delusional.They have had devs from DAOC working with them and devs from war.

It's to little to late,the backdrop was set the day they agreed to use the crap graphics engine they built this game on.All this "with time bioware can" blah blah is just wishful thinking,they haven't got time.

Any serious PVP gamer would choose daoc three faction type pvp over swtor and sorry to bring it up but GW2 is that game.

Believe me when GW2 comes out many PVPers from swtor will switch.

BioWare can't turn back the clock and change the hero engine,this is imo what is stopping them going all out on RVR type PVP,the engine can't handle that type of PVP.

Sadly this is true.

SWTOR is just not setup to be a PvP game. Never has been. The PvP is 'just enough' to say it's there, but that's it. Could they improve upon it? Sure, to a point, but the engine does limit some things (like responsiveness / lag), and to be honest the amount of time / resources it would take to do enough of a revamp makes PvP becoming that much better highly unlikely. That said, there are a surprising amount of players that don't mind getting huttball for the millionth time in a row, or still enjoy Illum even though it's a complete mess. I heard someone mentioning them adding arena-like rankings, which I'm sure will also please another chunk of people.

Whether they care to admit it or not, this game is following the same progression as WoW. Almost to a T, and many players seem to like it that way. I expect that in the coming months, PvP in TOR will basically be like PvP in WoW from a year or two back. It'll be fun for many, but this will never be a PvP game, and I think Bioware has made that pretty clear.

i Agree the engine is crap iv looked at the hero engine webpage it looks good on the page but once you get your hands on it it does feel clunky.

and yes some of the Mythic guys did work on the game but are not over seeing the pvp department. that guy that is over seeing that department is shockly young for such a huge task.

i also am not sure if the Mythic guys even working in this game were the same guys that made DAoC a great pvp game if i was the guy that worked on DAoC and shaded land scape i can say i worked on that game but that dont mean im going to develope a great pvp game like we saw in DAoC