Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deal breaking issues... you decide.

ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

My main issue with SWToR is the ridiculous amount of instancing in this game. For example, in order to travel to any given planet with your ship; a person must enter their class specific airlock and run to your ship, then enter their ship, travel to said planet while on board, enter another airlock on said planet space station, load into and run across said spacestation and enter yet another instance in order to get down to the surface. So... all in all that is 4 seperate instances just to travel between planets...

Obviously server population caps are an entirely different issue... however I feel it is ridiculous that Bioware instances this game so heavily when the game seems to be very light population wise (at least my sever- 120 players on during the busiest times- Republic fleet) I just don't see the need for it... and lets be honest, they are not using high rez; so that cant be putting stress on the servers either...

My other main issue... is the fact that you do not gain valor for open world PVP in any fashion... I have killed many imps in open world pvp, all who were within my level by 2 up and down (even a level 50 when I was 47????)... and did not receive one point of valor. This to me is insane, why even have open world pvp, if their is no incentive to do so? Ganking is fun... but why in the hell would I suffer through 4 instances to get to Tatoonie just to gank level 30s... no thx.

Along with the zones being very confined which is another issue for me, these two really tick me off somethin awful... How bout yall?

Comments

• RsunDownpourRsunDownpour Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Zarynterk

My main issue with SWToR is the ridiculous amount of instancing in this game. For example, in order to travel to any given planet with your ship; a person must enter their class specific airlock and run to your ship, then enter their ship, travel to said planet while on board, enter another airlock on said planet space station, load into and run across said spacestation and enter yet another instance in order to get down to the surface. So... all in all that is 4 seperate instances just to travel between planets...

Obviously server population caps are an entirely different issue... however I feel it is ridiculous that Bioware instances this game so heavily when the game seems to be very light population wise (at least my sever- 120 players on during the busiest times- Republic fleet) I just don't see the need for it... and lets be honest, they are not using high rez; so that cant be putting stress on the servers either...

My other main issue... is the fact that you do not gain valor for open world PVP in any fashion... I have killed many imps in open world pvp, all who were within my level by 2 up and down (even a level 50 when I was 47????)... and did not receive one point of valor. This to me is insane, why even have open world pvp, if their is no incentive to do so? Ganking is fun... but why in the hell would I suffer through 4 instances to get to Tatoonie just to gank level 30s... no thx.

Along with the zones being very confined which is another issue for me, these two really tick me off somethin awful... How bout yall?

i agree, games bad, cancled sub waiting for somthing else.

www.RisingSunGaming.com
    #RisingSunGaming

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Year of the Dragon.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by fony

Year of the Dragon.

+1

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by RsunDownpour

i agree, games bad, cancled sub waiting for somthing else.

No game is not bad, don't be silly. MO is a bad game. TOR is not.

To OP: your first point (esp. Hi-rez bullshit) is spot on. Bad design yes, game-breaking not really. Your second point does sound like that should be a no-brainer to give Valor for open world PvP but i have not or will prolly ever "do" PvP so I can't speak on whether it is deal-breaking for a PvPer or not.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I'm not really bothered by the instancing as much as I thought I would be.  Mainly because when you do go into most instances there are no loading screens and if there is one my computer is beast so they don't take long to load.  I guess I got used to loading screens too cuz I've taking a year off MMO's and played single player games for a while.

But I do agree with the no Valor in PvP. I love world PvP not  BG type PvP... To be honnest Im just playing this game cuz I like SW and I hate reading, IF they did get one thing right is Voiceover for most of the quests I actually feel like I'm part lof the world.  

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by cukimunga

I'm not really bothered by the instancing as much as I thought I would be.  Mainly because when you do go into most instances there are no loading screens and if there is one my computer is beast so they don't take long to load.  I guess I got used to loading screens too cuz I've taking a year off MMO's and played single player games for a while.

But I do agree with the no Valor in PvP. I love world PvP not  BG type PvP... To be honnest Im just playing this game cuz I like SW and I hate reading, IF they did get one thing right is Voiceover for most of the quests I actually feel like I'm part lof the world.  

Same, my comp blows through the loading screens... however it still annoys the shit out of me. The pvp thing has to be fixed, this is a game breaker for pvp players if there ever was one.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

damn! You're right. I quit. 

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I agree the loading screens are crazy.  It just contributed to the feeling that I wasn't playing the game, and more just sitting there either waiting for a loading screen to finish or watching a dialogue cutscene.  

It's just really weird design- the best part of MMOs is getting immersed in a fantasy world with people from all over the globe, and they decided to make an MMO full of instances, single-player cutscenes and zone caps.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Benthon

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Definitely issues but not gamebreaking IMO.

I would love a completely open world with zero instancing and all the problems that comes with it. I would rather go back to "lists" than what we have now

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

I understand everyone here is bored but damn is this game really worthy to give our money to? I say no. It is the year 2012, graphic wise rofl, gameplay wise rofl, and are you serious voice overs are the best feature..... Following the WoW build is what will kill this game. WoW does it best that's why they're #1. To pick up a segement of the market that is tired of themeparking or other various forms of it something new needs to come out. Shit I'd cry for a TRUE remake of SWG, DAOC, EQ "pvp, ralos style" hell even shadow bane was fun. The problem is most gamers didn't grow up with that, and the only attempts to show the new generation that this is a very fun system have failed miserably, "DF, MO". What we need to do  is stop giving companies like these money.

Also people commenting on pvp that say, well that is not that bad, but i don't choose to pvp so it doesn't affect me..... Seriously responses like that are just laughable. Obviously the major gripes on this game are the terrible open world pvp, the instancing, the lack of endgame, which the raid's are pretty much child's play. I was pugging them in week 3 of the game. Pugging... The same 3 wz's being the only true way to pvp gets stale  instantly, although hutball was fun.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by hotix

I understand everyone here is bored but damn is this game really worthy to give our money to? I say no. It is the year 2012, graphic wise rofl, gameplay wise rofl, and are you serious voice overs are the best feature..... Following the WoW build is what will kill this game. WoW does it best that's why they're #1. To pick up a segement of the market that is tired of themeparking or other various forms of it something new needs to come out. Shit I'd cry for a TRUE remake of SWG, DAOC, EQ "pvp, ralos style" hell even shadow bane was fun. The problem is most gamers didn't grow up with that, and the only attempts to show the new generation that this is a very fun system have failed miserably, "DF, MO". What we need to do  is stop giving companies like these money.

Also people commenting on pvp that say, well that is not that bad, but i don't choose to pvp so it doesn't affect me..... Seriously responses like that are just laughable. Obviously the major gripes on this game are the terrible open world pvp, the instancing, the lack of endgame, which the raid's are pretty much child's play. I was pugging them in week 3 of the game. Pugging... The same 3 wz's being the only true way to pvp gets stale  instantly, although hutball was fun.

Sadly (or not ) it looks like smed is up to his old tricks. He knew this game would hit hard times, and this is why he announced EQ Next. The real EQ2 they should have made.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by sammyeli

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1? I guess?

Again to OP, give it a few months unless you really need that $30 then you have bigger issues than instancing and valor.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by cukimunga

Same, my comp blows through the loading screens... however it still annoys the shit out of me. The pvp thing has to be fixed, this is a game breaker for pvp players if there ever was one.

i dont have any performance problem, only retardedly slow loading screen sometimes even 30 seconds

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Arkinia

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+2

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Its called a timesink...  just like running at the slowest speed imaginable until level 14.. or waiting on an elevator that goes down an unimaginably long way so as you can't just drop down.  I never thought taking the stairs would be faster, but in many cases it is,  though its not always an option.

Its adding a little padding to the content, that isn't necessarily travel induced.   In the later levels you do have to port from the world, to the landing station, then from there to your ship,  running a little ways in between - in areas where you can't use speeders... its all a time waster, not much else.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by Arkinia

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+2

+ 3 / 14

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

I agree the loading screens are crazy.  It just contributed to the feeling that I wasn't playing the game, and more just sitting there either waiting for a loading screen to finish or watching a dialogue cutscene.  

It's just really weird design- the best part of MMOs is getting immersed in a fantasy world with people from all over the globe, and they decided to make an MMO full of instances, single-player cutscenes and zone caps.

Wow personal question I know, but what are you playing on? Not a attack. There is instance loacing but for me on a  modest 2-3 old machine takes far less then 1/2 a second no time even for a loading screen to pop up. Really seemless for me

For me at least the games fun I haven't hit 50 yet due have mutliple characters (highest is 41 BH), and enjoy the story. Instancing has never been a big deal to me and in fact am much happier grouping with a group of friends and doing a instance then having to sit and camp some boss spawn for a hour because theres 3 other groups in line  ahead of me.

Pvp is also not something I expected much in this game. Sure I enjoyed shadowbane in its days but never remember EA or Bioware hyping SW:tor as a PVP mass hit.  In the end its a work in progess as every and all MMO's are.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I honestly think they did this because of the game engine they went with. I really don't think this game can handle very many people in the same zone hence why illum has so many slowdown issues and why you have a lot more slowdown issues in warzones. It seems even when people are not in the same immediate area as you are but are in the same zone it effects performance. So if they opened up the zones to say 5x more people you would see horrible fps issues with some people.... it's not a good answer and think overall the instancing sucks but I really believe this is why...

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Well, since the title says you decide (fox news? Haha) I'll just say that none of this is deal breaking for me.

When there is some competition for this game later this year, there are a few issues that might be deal breaking for me if they aren't fixed yet, but they have lots of time to fix them.

We will see what happens, I'm going to be playing for the forseeable future. I'm hesitantly looking forward to ArchAge put of all the upcoming games an a little bit towards TSW. Not really GW 2 so much, but I plan on comparing these games directly with TOR at the time and see what happens.

I actually kind of plan on playing AA an TOR alongside each other for a time and see what happens. Best of both worlds right?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by claytos

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

If the the 2 biggest problems in this game are 2 loading screens when you travel between planets and lack of incentive to grief people (both Illum and Outlaw den - zones intended for world PVP - give valor for kills) ... This game is in a great condition, Great job BIoWare!

Originally posted by aionix

Originally posted by claytos

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1